rbtravis

Gary I think you are in the wrong thread. I think you belong here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ad.php?t=63606
they will likely have your answer
rbtravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:52 AM   #452
Tekrone

Hi,

I have a question on using the LBA48 kernal and getting a series 1 software update...

My upgraded drive failed, so I set about upgrading again.

I have a truncated backup of the original 30 hour image that is several years old.
I used the LBA48 CD ver 4.04 to do a MFSTools restore onto a new 320 gb drive.
Then I copykern'd the series 1 LBA48 kernal (had to mount the cdrom drive though).

All seems successful, but it turns out that the backup image had the series 1 2.5 software. The system booted fine and connected to do an update. Afterwards it said "pending restart", so I rebooted to apply the update to software version 3.0.

I then pulled the drive and did the copykern again.

Question is, did I do the right thing? Is this going to continue working?
Tekrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #453
gary80920

Question Series 1 unable to boot after adding 120gB drive

I have been running a Tivo Series 1 using a 180gB drive using the modified kernel for about a month with a 300mB swap file.

The commands used to do this were:
  • mfsrestore -s 300 -r 4 -zxpi tivo_backup /dev/hdc
    • The backup was made from an earlier upgrade that was working well.
  • copykernel -s (cd was burned on 9/21/2007)

Today I wanted to add a 120gB drive to the unit, and I used the command
  • mfsadd -r 4 /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

When the tivo got the grey screen, "almost there", it became hung in a reboot loop.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #454
rbtravis

Did you remember to configure the jumpers on the Drive to Master and Slave? Cable Select only works with a special cable that i have not seen in over a decade. (it disconnects one line between the master and slave.)
Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #455
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekrone
Hi,

I have a question on using the LBA48 kernal and getting a series 1 software update...

My upgraded drive failed, so I set about upgrading again.

I have a truncated backup of the original 30 hour image that is several years old.
I used the LBA48 CD ver 4.04 to do a MFSTools restore onto a new 320 gb drive.
Then I copykern'd the series 1 LBA48 kernal (had to mount the cdrom drive though).

All seems successful, but it turns out that the backup image had the series 1 2.5 software. The system booted fine and connected to do an update. Afterwards it said "pending restart", so I rebooted to apply the update to software version 3.0.

I then pulled the drive and did the copykern again.

Question is, did I do the right thing? Is this going to continue working?
Things should work fine; when the 3.0 version of the software download and installed itself, the results of your initial use of CopyKern were overwritten. By running it again, you re-installed the LBA48 kernel on the active root and also re-initialzed your swap. Should be fine now...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #456
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary80920
I have been running a Tivo Series 1 using a 180gB drive using the modified kernel for about a month with a 300mB swap file.

The commands used to do this were:
  • mfsrestore -s 300 -r 4 -zxpi tivo_backup /dev/hdc
    • The backup was made from an earlier upgrade that was working well.
  • copykernel -s (cd was burned on 9/21/2007)

Today I wanted to add a 120gB drive to the unit, and I used the command
  • mfsadd -r 4 /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

When the tivo got the grey screen, "almost there", it became hung in a reboot loop.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
Not sure about that "copykernel" command you just listed, but the use of the command should just be:

Code:
CopyKern
Not sure that it matters in this situation, though. What sort of results did you see when you ran mfsadd? Success? Failure?

As rbtravis suggested... did you ensure that you explicitly set the jumpers on your drives to master and slave? Cable select will work, however you have to get it right and if you attempted to use it on the two drives plugged into your PC with the boot CD, you might have erased your drives. Or you might have connected them wrong in your TiVo.

Best practice: ALWAYS set your jumpers explicitly - it will help you to avoid some problems...

Old 10-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #457
gary80920

Interesting. I have never had to jumper the drives before. I have always had them in cable select. FYI, I'm not using the standard Tivo cable but a traditional ATA 100/133 cable.

This Tivo used to have 2 120gB drives 'til the master drive died back in September.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #458
gary80920

In all the earlier tries
- mfsadd was successful
- drives were always put in correctly as I have marked the drives as Master and Slave
to prevent any mishaps

The only thing that I changed this time was jumpering the drives.

So I'm good to go.

Thanks!!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:33 AM   #459
Tekrone

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
Things should work fine; when the 3.0 version of the software download and installed itself, the results of your initial use of CopyKern were overwritten. By running it again, you re-installed the LBA48 kernel on the active root and also re-initialzed your swap. Should be fine now...

Hmmm.... I think there is a problem.

After the upgrade, my series 1 said I had 403 hours Basic quality and 110 hours Best quality recording. So I decided to do a little test.
I set it up to do all recording at Best quality, including some blocks of long overnight manual recording on a single channel.

My very rough ballpark estimate was that the 137 gig limit would translate to about the mid 40 hour mark in recording. So I figured that if I could record and play back over 50 hours or so, then the LBA48 was indeed working.

It failed. I was in the process of recording a long block totaling 23:30. At about the 21 hour point, I started fast forward skipping through it. (even stopped to watch a couple of episodes of "How It's Made" - an oddly mesmerizing show).

At any rate, it had about 1.5 hours left to record, so I left it. Came back later, and it shows the show time as 23:18 instead of the programmed 23:30. And trying to play it now fails - goes straight to "are you done with this program?" and then "Error playing a recording" message. The next 1 hour show recorded after that worked, so it looks like that 23+ hour block was effectively deleted.

So it looks like it stopped right around the 43.8 hour point - which sounds about right to match up with LBA28/137 gig. Drat.

So now here is what I plan on trying:

1. Install my 2.5 software backup on the new drive, but do NOT expand it. Leave it as LBA28 with the original 30 gig size:
restore -s 127 -zpi /dos/backupfile.bak /dev/hdc

2. Run it, let it update to the 3.0 software and restart.

3. Expand it to the full drive capacity:
mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/hdc

4. Install LBA48 and initialize swap.

5. Test again.

Questions:

A) Is this a reasonable plan?
B) Does the MFSTools version on the 4.04 cd properly support larger swap sizes? I know you'll probably say it's not needed, but if I change the -s parameter to 160 or higher, will it properly initialize?

BTW - on my system, I do have to mount the cdrom drive in order for copykern to work. So I am pretty sure it is getting copied over properly and it does say it initializes the swap.

I sure hope this works, 'cause I have another DB35 320 gig drive to go into the other series 1 (currently has a seagate 80 gig). I'm pretty sure that backup image also has the old 2.5 software on it. I need to get the first one actually working, so I can shift all recording over to it - then watch what I have on the small one prior to upgrading. Oh, wait - that drive works so I can just do a piped backup|restore. Duh.

ACK! does anyone else sometimes feel like they are a slave to their backlog of recorded programs? Strangely, I feel both dismayed and relieved after having the drive die on my first TiVo.

Long live TiVo!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:59 AM   #460
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekrone

A) Is this a reasonable plan?
B) Does the MFSTools version on the 4.04 cd properly support larger swap sizes? I know you'll probably say it's not needed, but if I change the -s parameter to 160 or higher, will it properly initialize?
Sure, or you can do it in two steps:

Code:
mfstools restore -x -s 160 -zpi /dos/backupfile.bak /dev/hdc
CopyKern
CopyKern is designed to install the kernel and properly initialize the swap.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #461
Tekrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
Sure, or you can do it in two steps:

Code:
mfstools restore -x -s 160 -zpi /dos/backupfile.bak /dev/hdc
CopyKern
CopyKern is designed to install the kernel and properly initialize the swap.

Doing it in two steps was what I have already done. Doing that would fully expand the backup (with the 2.5 software), then I would have to let it upgrade to 3.0, then copykern again.

I'm going to try my other plan to see it if works. Something to do this weekend.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #462
Tekrone

Smile

Eureka! Success!

It seems to be working, though it gave me a scare.
I set up a series of 10 hour blocks of recordings to test the TiVo, and was gone when it got to the 40+ hour range (where I thought it might fail). When I got home and checked, it started up with the welcoming animation. That worried me.
And the point where the reboot occurred was just past 41 hours. Uh-Oh.

So my first assumption was that the drive had "filled" and for some reason caused it to flip out and reboot.

Apparently, while I was gone there was a power failure. The other TiVo also had rebooted. What a relief.

Now all the 10 hour blocks up to 50 hours are viewable, so the LBA48 kernal must be working. Yippee!

My feeling is that restoring a 2.5 software backup and using the LBA48 kernal may not be a good idea. At least it didn't seem to work for me.
Doing an unexpanded restore, letting it update to version 3.0, getting it all updated and stable, and then expanding the space and installing the kernal seems to be the right way to do it.

I'm going to let the 10 hour block recording go on for a while, to really be certain it works. Then I'll pull the drive and make a nice up-to-date truncated backup.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #463
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekrone View Post

My feeling is that restoring a 2.5 software backup and using the LBA48 kernal may not be a good idea. At least it didn't seem to work for me.
Doing an unexpanded restore, letting it update to version 3.0, getting it all updated and stable, and then expanding the space and installing the kernal seems to be the right way to do it.
That is correct. When you run CopyKern, you should have choices on which kernel to install and for what OS. From my recollection, there is no modified LBA48 kernel for 2.5 (I actually don't even remember the 2.5 version for standalone units); there is only one for the 3.0 version (and then a couple of versions for the DirecTiVo models).

Lou

Old 12-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #464
sskraly

copykern syntax?

I've read through this thread and a bunch of others and can't find a detailed description of the copykern syntax. I understand that it's on the CD, but can someone detail it here for the record? For example, I've seen mention of copykern -s. What does that option do? Also, people have mentioned that if you run copykern, it will prompt you to choose a kernel--what are the options and which one should be chosen?

Finally, it is correct that mountcd should always be done before running copykern?

Thanks...
sskraly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #465
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskraly View Post
I've read through this thread and a bunch of others and can't find a detailed description of the copykern syntax. I understand that it's on the CD, but can someone detail it here for the record? For example, I've seen mention of copykern -s. What does that option do? Also, people have mentioned that if you run copykern, it will prompt you to choose a kernel--what are the options and which one should be chosen?

Finally, it is correct that mountcd should always be done before running copykern?

Thanks...
Just type:

CopyKern

it is all menu driven.

Depending upon your PC's configuration, you may need to manually mount the CD; the boot CD does try to do it automatically, but it doesn't work on all PCs.

Lou

Old 12-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #466
sskraly

copykern vs. copykern -s

After a quick look at the help on the LBA48 CD, it looks like, if you are using a large (approx. >250GB) drive on an S1, you should expand the swap space, and you need

copykern -s

to "initialize the swap space" rather than just copykern without any parameters. Is that correct?

Also, is it still true that the swap should be at least 1/2000 of the HDD size (i.e. 320GB drive -> 160MB swap)?

So, in summary, an S1 upgrade to use a >137GB drive would be:

1) mfsbackup/mfsadd/mfsrestore as needed depending on your config
2) mountcd (not sure when this is needed, but any harm in just doing it?)
3) copykern -s

Is this correct?

Thanks...
sskraly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:50 PM   #467
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskraly View Post
After a quick look at the help on the LBA48 CD, it looks like, if you are using a large (approx. >250GB) drive on an S1, you should expand the swap space, and you need

copykern -s

to "initialize the swap space" rather than just copykern without any parameters. Is that correct?

Also, is it still true that the swap should be at least 1/2000 of the HDD size (i.e. 320GB drive -> 160MB swap)?

So, in summary, an S1 upgrade to use a >137GB drive would be:

1) mfsbackup/mfsadd/mfsrestore as needed depending on your config
2) mountcd (not sure when this is needed, but any harm in just doing it?)
3) copykern -s

Is this correct?

Thanks...
Nope...

CopyKern is just run like this:

Code:
CopyKern
No parameters. You can trust me on that; I wrote the script.

If you choose to create your new drive with increased swap size (that is a function of how you use mfstools and the -s option), then CopyKern will initialize whatever size swap partition is available, regardless of size. We've found no benefits to increased swap size; won't argue about it any more though, I've posted on it many times before. Its personal choice though and it certainly doesn't hurt to have a larger swap.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:15 AM   #468
rvnap

PTV LBA48 BootCD Ver4.04:
Tried to make backup image of HR 10-250 (orig. drv,with only 2hrs of recording on drv). I have used correct configuration,jumpers. Used commands suggested by Hinsdale Guide. Drives are recognized at full capacity.
The backup gets to " scanning source drive, wait a moment",
it will scan the drive for 4-5 hours , then stops responding.
I have made several good backups & restores of SD-40s,but can't make backup of this drive.
Please help if you can.
Thanks,
rvnap
rvnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #469
Kildurin

Error Message Help

If you see the 0x053xxxxx message when doing copykern, you are seeing a problem with the mounted CD. Basically, it did not mount the CD automagically as it tries to do. It does this to me even though my system has 1 CD drive as hdc. Anyway, easy enough to fix. See previous explanations on finding and mounting the CD but for me this works:

mount /dev/hdc /cdrom

Also, I have found that hacking the script to add hda as an option does not seem to be an issue. Thanks for including vi on the CD.

Hope this helps a few people.

I have one question. I am having a great deal of trouble doing the upgrade. I got 2 500GB hard drives from Fry's very cheap and am trying to install them in Series 1 Phillips HD212. It never boots with the 500GB drives. I wonder if this is due to a byte swapping issue? I do see a grey flicker screen before returning to the "starting" screen. Do I need byte swapping, DMA settings or other? When I complete the upgrade I get 515 hours or 1100 hours depending on using 1 or 2 drives. I am falling back to getting one drive working before moving ahead.

Where are these other threads if this is not the right one for the question?
Kildurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #470
Kildurin

CD boot swap

I did some research on byte swapping and noticed a alternate boot on the CD with lines like hdb=bswap etc? Is this applicable to a Series 1 standalone? If so, what about the cdrom sitting on /dev/hdc? Will this bswap the data on it? Sorry, I want this to work but the 500G's are just not booting up fully in the Tivo.
Kildurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #471
scoombs

I have a Sony SVR-2000 with the TivoNET (pre-cursor to the TurboNET card) installed. It is running on a pair of 320GB drives without LBA48 support, each limited to 137GB. I believe that I can copykern a replacement kernel to add LBA48 and expand the space, but I see no reference to any modified kernels with TivoNET support and therefore expect I would lose network mods as a result of the kernel replacement. So would it be correct to assume my only three options would be to :

1.) Live with the current 137+137 non-LBA48 kernel

2.) Upgrade the kernel and lose networked capabilities

3.) Replace the TivoNET with a TurboNET or Cachecard, and then replace the kernel?
scoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #472
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoombs View Post
I have a Sony SVR-2000 with the TivoNET (pre-cursor to the TurboNET card) installed. It is running on a pair of 320GB drives without LBA48 support, each limited to 137GB. I believe that I can copykern a replacement kernel to add LBA48 and expand the space, but I see no reference to any modified kernels with TivoNET support and therefore expect I would lose network mods as a result of the kernel replacement. So would it be correct to assume my only three options would be to :

1.) Live with the current 137+137 non-LBA48 kernel

2.) Upgrade the kernel and lose networked capabilities

3.) Replace the TivoNET with a TurboNET or Cachecard, and then replace the kernel?
Replacing the kernel with one that supports LBA48 won't expand your space for you. Expanding the space is a separate process and that can be done with or without an LBA48 kernel in place on the TiVo, its just that if you do it without an LBA48 kernel installed on the TiVo, you are going to have problems.

Secondly, the kernel, and TiVoNet support are mutually exclusive, to get TiVoNet working you'd need to install the drivers. I have no idea on where to find them, these days, but I'm sure they are out there.

So, the questions you are asking are really not related to one another. I believe there may be a way to expand your drives, possibly using mfslive (mfslive.org). If you can, then you are essentially done, just run copykern after you've done so and get your LBA48 kernel installed.

With that said, you might consider just getting a new hard drive, starting over from scratch and possibly going to a TurboNet card; things are considerably less expensive than they used to be and by doing things fresh on new hardware, you won't be putting your old stuff in jeopardy, while experimenting.

It is a shame that you've got almost 400GB of unusable space by using 2 x 320GB drives in your system...

Old 03-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #473
scoombs

Thanks for the reply. So if I swapped in the TurboNet card (or CacheCard), the $4.99 version of the LBA48 CD has the right kernel for the networking drivers and apps that I would need to retain that functionality as well as support the expanded size?
Old 03-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #474
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoombs View Post
Thanks for the reply. So if I swapped in the TurboNet card (or CacheCard), the $4.99 version of the LBA48 CD has the right kernel for the networking drivers and apps that I would need to retain that functionality as well as support the expanded size?
You can use the free LBA48 CD which has CopyKern and the LBA48 kernel on it (see the first post of this thread for info).

Networking drivers and apps have nothing to do with the kernel; completely separate.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #475
scoombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade View Post
You can use the free LBA48 CD which has CopyKern and the LBA48 kernel on it (see the first post of this thread for info).

Networking drivers and apps have nothing to do with the kernel; completely separate.
My apologies for being dense...so in the first post where it talks about:

"If you are looking for a CD with killhdinitrd, or kernels modified with killhdinitrd (these tools are used for installing networking and other aftermarket modifications to Series2 units with USB ports)"

If it literally only applies to Series2 units (I take it that it is likely referring to USB networking then), there are no kernel implications for networking of my Series1 aftermarket mods? If that is the case, and I have the TivoNet drivers installed and functioning on the device now, does that mean I really can just copykern from the free CD and take advantage of the increased space, and the TivoNet mods will be untouched? If so, it sound like you are saying the free image will do everything I need, and I don't need the "DVRupgrade LBA48 CD v4.04 With Enhancements" to deal with any of the networkability issues?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #476
gary80920

upgrading with the kernel should not pose any problems

I had a TivoNet card and my ISA lan controller died so I had to replace mine with a TurboNet card. This is no big deal as the Tivo is built using Linux. And the drivers are loaded dynamically.

The LBA48 upgrade using the free CD should do the trick for you.

Here's the process that I used:
1. I backed up my drives.
2. I did the kernel upgrade, and ran it for a couple of days.
3. Added my 160gB drive.

Cheers.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #477
scoombs

Thanks much.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #478
martinfick

500GB Seagate Drives, playback sound skewed

I upgraded my series 1 tivo to a 500GB Seagate drive successfully, but with a glitch. Every now and then during playback the sound seems to get behind for a split second and then it catches up real quickly. It is not a big deal, but it is kind of annoying. It does not happen at the same place repeatedly so it must be an actual playback issue.

At first I thought it might be a defective drive, but since I have tried it with 2 other (also brand new) Seagate 500GB drives and I see the same problem. I also swapped the drive into my other series 1 tivo and see the same problem so it is probably not broken hardware. Has anyone else seen anything like this? I assume it could be some weird seagate behavior perhaps?

Background info: Series 1 Stand Alone Tivo (Phillips), Software System: 3.0-01-1-000. Hacked with several standard tivo utilities (mfs_ftp, tivoweb, endpad...), I dissabled those and found that it still occurs. LBA48 kernel, large swap (1GB), largest block size (mfstool -r 4).

If I decide to buy another new drive soon, could someone recommend one that is known to work, a 500GB or above, so that I could at least rule out any drive incompatibility problems? Thanks,

-Martin
martinfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:27 AM   #479
ADent

How long ago did you upgrade?

I am getting this in the last week or two on my S1 unit. I haven't done anything new to it since the last DirecTV upgrade, over a year ago IIRC.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #480
martinfick

Hmm, it's been doing it for over a year I think. I bought a 500G drive a year ago, and noticed the problem. I bought the second 500G last summer, swapped it, and still had the problem. I bought another one this year, swapped it again and still had the problem.
martinfick is offline   Reply With Quote