TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #181
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH
The onscreen guide for installing the approved My DVR Expander drive says to just hook up the eSata cable, power on the drive, and reboot.

The printed info with the Expander drive says to unplug the TiVo, hook up the eSata cable, power on the drive, and then plug in the TiVo.

So is it necessary to power down the TiVo (S3, in my case) or not?
Whadya mean the left hand doesn't know what the right hand's doing?!

IIRC TiVo's web site instructions say to unplug TiVo before connecting or disconnecting an eSATA drive.

I'd say you're safe either way. Plug and pray should work without powering TiVo off, but it will surely work if you do...that's the way it's been done for quite a few months now.

Good stuff! Either way, enjoy the new real estate!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #182
rbf2000

I just successfully installed a seagate db35 750GB drive with the Antex MX-1 via eSATA using the method posted in the first post. Aside from getting the drive out of the TiVo HD it was a piece of cake.

119 Hours of HD 1127 Hours of SD, I thought you might want to update the list of hard drive sizes/recording time.
rbf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #183
jazzsax

I tried to add my new official Tivo expander HD to my already upgraded 500GB TivoHD, and though it recognized the drive and asked me to use it and restarted, it did not actually pick up the extra space. It still said I had 63 hours. I had to pull the drive and run WinMFS on them to add the drive. I wasn't really expecting it to work out of the box, but was hoping.
jazzsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:28 AM   #184
dsm363

I tried to add my TiVo Expander to my S3 using the instructions in the box. After 2 attempts, then a reboot with the drive attached, it is not recognizing the drive. Maybe a bad cable? This kind of bites.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:31 AM   #185
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm363
I tried to add my TiVo Expander to my S3 using the instructions in the box. After 2 attempts, then a reboot with the drive attached, it is not recognizing the drive. Maybe a bad cable? This kind of bites.
I assume you have a stock Tivo? And not an upgraded unit? As per the FAQ, the "plug and play" eSATA expansion does not work on upgraded TiVos.

I don't know what instructions are included with the drive, but the following instructions are correct and verified to work:

Quote:
How do I to add an eSATA drive to the TiVo?

1. Disconnect power to the TiVo.

2. Connect the eSATA drive to your TiVo with the eSATA cable. Confirm that the eSATA cable is firmly inserted on both the TiVo and your eSATA drive.

3. Connect the power to your eSATA drive. Then reconnect power to your TiVo.

4. Enable the eSATA drive through the Settings -> Remote, CableCARD, and Devices -> External Storage menu.
If the eSATA cable is loose on either end, it will not work. Make sure you don't accidentally unplug the eSATA cable when you reconnect power to the TiVo. [I've done that.]
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:38 AM   #186
dsm363

Sorry, yes my S3 TiVo is a stock TiVo and those are the steps I followed. The cables seem firmly connected and I have software version 9.2J (noticed people are talking about having 9.2 and not 9.2J). I'll keep working on it but the drive is powered on and seems to be connected properly but the S3 does not recognize it. Thanks for the advice, I'll have to dig a little deeper. I guess it's possible the drive is bad.

Last edited by dsm363 : 10-31-2007 at 12:49 AM.
dsm363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:55 AM   #187
bkdtv

Quote:
Sorry, yes my S3 TiVo is a stock TiVo and those are the steps I followed. The cables seem firmly connected and I have software version 9.2J (noticed people are talking about having 9.2 and not 9.2J). I'll keep working on it but the drive is powered on and seems to be connected properly but the S3 does not recognize it. Thanks for the advice, I'll have to dig a little deeper. I guess it's possible the drive is bad.
The drive could be bad.

I assume you see a light glow on the front which confirms that it has power.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:57 AM   #188
dsm363

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
The drive could be bad.

I assume you see a light glow on the front which confirms that it has power.
Yeah, there is a light on the drive to confirm power. Doesn't really seem to make much noise when it powers on too. Guess I'll give TiVo a call.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:13 AM   #189
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg
I'm having trouble finding any reasonable source for the Hitachi Cinemastar 1TB drive named in the list of recommended drives in the FAQ. The Deskstar models, on the other hand, are not hard to find at all.
I would recommend the WD10EACS instead. Same 3-year warranty, better RMA process, cooler, quieter, and lower power.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #190
dsm363

Just an update: Looks like my drive is DOA. I've spent over 2 hours on the phone so far. I bought the My DVR Expander from TiVo.com but called Western Digital first per TiVo's instructions. They said this is an OEM drive and to call TiVo. After 20 min on hold and over 30 minutes of trouble shooting and being put on hold multiple times, I was told 'this is a WD drive, we can't accept a return. You have to talk to WD'. I called WD back and am told 'this is an OEM drive'. The confusion about what TiVo even was led me to ask what country they are based out of. Looks like WD has outsourced their tech line to India so now I'm waiting for a call from a manager since 'they are all busy on another line at the moment'. Very frustrating. I don't see how TiVo call sell a product (even if it isn't their product) then won't accept a exchange for a DOA product.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:59 PM   #191
fred2

Quote:
Yeah, there is a light on the drive to confirm power. Doesn't really seem to make much noise when it powers on too. Guess I'll give TiVo a call.
Does the drive have alternative connections, like usb or firewire? Can you test it on a computer?
fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:27 PM   #192
dsm363

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2
Does the drive have alternative connections, like usb or firewire? Can you test it on a computer?
It only has a eSATA port on it so I have no way to test it unfortunately.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #193
dsm363

Well, saga complete. TiVo.com is finally accepting the drive back after 4 hours on the phone. What an ordeal. Sorry to tie up this thread with this.
According to a manager at TiVo: For defective drives, WD is supposed to handle that but TiVo can help with setup and troubleshooting.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:24 PM   #194
cgfrendly

WD DVD Expander Discontinued?????

Last weekend I ordered one from WD online store; it didn't ship and so I called today to find out what happened. I was told the product was discontinued and no longer available but that replacement design would be released shortly.

Does this make sense to anyone?
Now I see that TIVO site has it as available, it was 'backordered' the when I checked a while back.

Anybody know what is going on?
cgfrendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:36 PM   #195
dsm363

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgfrendly
Last weekend I ordered one from WD online store; it didn't ship and so I called today to find out what happened. I was told the product was discontinued and no longer available but that replacement design would be released shortly.

Now I see that TIVO site has it as available, it was 'backordered' the when I checked a while back.

Really? I just ordered my replacement drive from TiVo (since I couldn't even figure out where the 'add to cart' button on the WD store was). Wonder what the deal is.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:26 PM   #196
andrews777

Quote:
Really? I just ordered my replacement drive from TiVo (since I couldn't even figure out where the 'add to cart' button on the WD store was). Wonder what the deal is.
They removed the "add to cart" button on that page. It was there a few days before the "official" announcement from Tivo. I suspect Tivo got all their stock.

Brad
andrews777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:26 PM   #197
andrews777

Quote:
Well, saga complete. TiVo.com is finally accepting the drive back after 4 hours on the phone. What an ordeal. Sorry to tie up this thread with this.
According to a manager at TiVo: For defective drives, WD is supposed to handle that but TiVo can help with setup and troubleshooting.
And this is the reason Tivo had to limit it only to a supported drive! This is a great level of support, NOT!

Brad
andrews777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:53 PM   #198
toolkit

Does expansion impact UI speed?

Sorry if this has already been addressed. I tried several searches and couldn't find anything related....

If I add an external drive to increase the storage on my (stock) TiVo S3, there will surely be a lot more programs in the "Now Playing" list. Will that cause a noticable slow-down in UI speed?

A few years ago when I significantly increased the storage in my old DirecTiVo, the speed was impacted a bit - but it was acceptable.

I like the current speed of my S3 and to be honest, 250GB isn't that limiting. But more space would be nice, as long as the UI doesn't get impacted too much.

Thanks in advance!!
toolkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:04 PM   #199
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolkit
Sorry if this has already been addressed. I tried several searches and couldn't find anything related....

If I add an external drive to increase the storage on my (stock) TiVo S3, there will surely be a lot more programs in the "Now Playing" list. Will that cause a noticable slow-down in UI speed?
I'm sure at some point there might be a slowdown with the Now Playing list.

I can say there is no significant slowdown with ~150 recordings.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:15 PM   #200
sirius

I have had my e-sata drive up and running now for a couple of months. Is there any benefit for me download the latest (9.2) software?

Thank you in advance
sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:13 PM   #201
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg
I'm having trouble finding any reasonable source for the Hitachi Cinemastar 1TB drive named in the list of recommended drives in the FAQ. The Deskstar models, on the other hand, are not hard to find at all...

I believe I read a reliably-sourced claim on a TCF thread (somewhere, but I can't locate it) that the specs were identical and that it didn't really matter.
Yes, you are correct. You can manually detune the head seek acoustics on the Deskstar using Hitachi Feature Tool and as far as the TiVo is concerned it is functionally equivalent to the Cinemastar. I also agree with C3 that the WD 1TB "Green" drive is currently the most ideal TiVo drive from a specification standpoint. But if you can get a significantly better price on the Deskstar it is also an acceptable and reliable TiVo upgrade drive.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:13 PM   #202
gwsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin
Oh, I think they'll have 3-D holographic-definition TV in another 30 years. Those probably will run 10TB per hour, and 16 exabytes won't be enough.
Yep, one of the first rules I learned about computers when I got involved with them in the mid ‘80s was, “No CPU is ever fast enough and no hard drive is ever big enough.” It appears that it’s just as true now as it was then.
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:56 PM   #203
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolkit

A few years ago when I significantly increased the storage in my old DirecTiVo, the speed was impacted a bit - but it was acceptable.

I like the current speed of my S3 and to be honest, 250GB isn't that limiting. But more space would be nice, as long as the UI doesn't get impacted too much.

Thanks in advance!!
We have over 150 recordings w/750GB of space and the UI is as fast as ever on our S3.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:00 PM   #204
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius
I have had my e-sata drive up and running now for a couple of months. Is there any benefit for me download the latest (9.2) software?

Thank you in advance
As long as everything is working well there's no need to rush things. Right now they are only delivering v9.2.j which is a trial version of the latest software. Historically final versions have had very little if any noticeable differences. So if all is well, waiting is fine.

Your eSATA drive will be recognized automatically once you receive the upgrade...nothing to do on your part.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:35 PM   #205
t001z
Man, Myth, Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgfrendly

I also just came here to report a similar issue with the extender that that I purchased last Wednesday. When I placed the order, it said it was IN STOCK and I went through the purchase process and everything was fine. Today, I had not received anything so I went to track it and it said it was backordered.

I called Western Digital to find out what was going on and the person told me that their order screen shows that it is backordered and that means they "don't know whether they will be getting more in stock or if they are discontinued". I was then told that my order was going to be cancelled because they did not know if they would be getting these back in stock EVER. After pressing a little further, I was transfered to a supervisor and he told me that they "are working on a new model" but would not go any further.

If you ordered one from a place that shows it as backordered or out of stock, don't expect to ever receive it. WD shows it as Out of Stock, Best Buy shows it Backordered and TiVo doesn't show availability.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-rant follows=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
With this being my 5th TiVo and being a happy TiVo customer for the last 6 years, this is the first time I am truly disappointed with the company. I am not blaming them for WD running out of stock or discontinuing the model so quickly, but I am p.o.'ed about this crap of only allowing "supported" drives. I do not like WD as a company and have never had good luck with their products, to be told the only way you can use a new feature is to buy this particular drive shows they are following a business model that essentially shows they are selling out to a single vendor for a business arrangement which can only involve a kickback to them.

Now we cannot get the only drive that is supported (btw, I don't care about it being supported, upgrading our hard drives has never been supported before, but we did it at our own risk) and the manufacturer is saying that it may never be available again!!

c'mon TiVo, don't cut the throats of your loyal customers, let us pay a small fee to "turn on" the eSATA port and stop this "supported drive" crap.

TivoHD TCD-652160 (1300+ hours), Sony SVR-3000 (600 hours) & Tivo TCD140060 (144 hours)

Last edited by t001z : 10-31-2007 at 11:46 PM.
t001z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:28 AM   #206
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by t001z
I also just came here to report a similar issue with the extender that that I purchased last Wednesday. When I placed the order, it said it was IN STOCK and I went through the purchase process and everything was fine. Today, I had not received anything so I went to track it and it said it was backordered.<snip>

c'mon TiVo, don't cut the throats of your loyal customers, let us pay a small fee to "turn on" the eSATA port and stop this "supported drive" crap.
Randy...you forgot [/rant]! You didn't mention it, but I assume you're talking about adding an expansion drive to a TiVo HD? (S3's w/v9.2.j or higher are no problem of course.)

In any case, it's obvious you've been around here for a while. You mentioned "unsupported" hard drive upgrades so I'm probably not suggesting anything you haven't already considered, but being the savvy guy you are you know that you still have the ability to add an eSATA drive, basically any eSATA drive to your THD or upgrade the internal HDD, or both right? It's not a plug and pray option, but it's not very difficult if you don't mind popping the case open and doing a quick bit of wizardry with your PC. With WinMFS it's a snap.

I agree, it was dumb for them to limit the THD's to one expansion drive, (and I'd rather it be a Seagate) but I can also see it from their side and looking at the big picture can't really blame them. How they and WD have handled it is a bit appalling though...what a nightmare!

That said, here's the "Bible" of eSATA drive options for both TiVo HD's and S3's:

Official eSATA Drive Expansion: FAQ + Discussion (That's this thread - start at the beginning)

Here's the link to the original thread/instructions for adding an "unsupported" eSATA drive to a TiVo HD:

Tivo HD (TCD652160) eSATA Port is enabled now

Here's the link for upgrading a TiVo HD's hard drive:

Tivo HD Finally Upgraded

So if "their" option isn't an option...well, you still have options.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #207
Brighton Line

I have a Maxtor Quickview Expander left over from my SA8300HD days, I connected it to my brand new Series 3 running 9.2J and it found the drive fine and I now have 67 hours of HD.

The Expander's orange light is blinking 8 times and repeats, I found a very old post that says these means I should call the "service provider" which I belive is the "cable company" since this external drive was made for Cable DVR's.

So far it is working without any issue other then the annoying blinking light which I am about to put tape over.

Does anyone know if there is any issues with using this drive or the blinking light?

TIA
Brighton Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #208
opus472

Quote:
Well, saga complete. TiVo.com is finally accepting the drive back after 4 hours on the phone.
And what do you do in the meantime, no Tivo?
opus472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 AM   #209
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
I have a Maxtor Quickview Expander left over from my SA8300HD days, I connected it to my brand new Series 3 running 9.2J and it found the drive fine and I now have 67 hours of HD.

The Expander's orange light is blinking 8 times and repeats, I found a very old post that says these means I should call the "service provider" which I belive is the "cable company" since this external drive was made for Cable DVR's.

So far it is working without any issue other then the annoying blinking light which I am about to put tape over.

Does anyone know if there is any issues with using this drive or the blinking light?

TIA
Weaknees actually sells the Maxtor Expander drives. You might want to contact them about it and see what they have to say...they're very friendly types.

http://www.weaknees.com/contact.php

BTW, congrats for being a pioneer with that one!
Old 11-01-2007, 03:03 PM   #210
thxman
Advanced Member

Hey Rich . . . I liked your other picture better. It was a much better likeness!

I am still without the 9.2 upgrade as I tried again this morning. I called Tivo again with no suggestions other than to fill out the priority request form again. I did but hopefully that won't put me at the back end of the Tivo queue, (it stinks back there!)
thxman is offline   Reply With Quote