TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2007, 01:29 AM   #151
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
[*] If I want to replace my current eSATA drive, can I just remove it and then "marry" it to another?

Yes, you can replace the eSATA drive on your Series3 as much as you want, but you'll permanently lose all existing recordings on every drive you remove.
So let's say I have an internal 750GB upgraded drive in my S3, and I do an mfsadd to expand to an eSATA drive.

Let's say that eSATA drive dies.

1. Does my TiVo still work, or does it stop working?

2. Can I just repeat the mfsadd command on a new eSATA drive, or is there some other divorce/marry routine that needs to happen?

-Al
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:43 AM   #152
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
I have a question about what the best solution would be for my situation.

Another option I have thought of is to get one of the really cheap large 1gb storage drives for the PC and use TiVo Desktop to transfer the shows to the computer and store shows on the computer then delete them on the S3 and restore them later on when I am ready to watch them. Like for shows that I don't have time to watch now but plan to watch later during breaks or between seasons. What are peoples thoughts on that?
The last option would be my recommendation...although you may not be able to transfer everything as some shows may be flagged.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:09 AM   #153
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee
So let's say I have an internal 750GB upgraded drive in my S3, and I do an mfsadd to expand to an eSATA drive.

Let's say that eSATA drive dies.

1. Does my TiVo still work, or does it stop working?

2. Can I just repeat the mfsadd command on a new eSATA drive, or is there some other divorce/marry routine that needs to happen?

-Al
1. TiVo will still work after you divorce the expansion drive. If the drive dies it will stop TiVo from recording anything further until you divorce the failed drive. Unfortunately you will lose all of the recordings made from the point the eSATA drive was added. (This is the same whether P&P or mfsADD is used.)

When TiVo can no longer access the eSATA drive due to power failure, drive failure or cable disconnect the following screen will be displayed:

TiVo will not function until you act on this screen.

If you divorce an eSATA drive the following screen will be displayed:

After system reconfiguration TiVo will reboot using the internal/"A" drive alone.

2. Yes, you will be able to add a new eSATA drive. See Section III, #10 on the first post on this thread.

Last edited by richsadams : 10-28-2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:35 AM   #154
opus472

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2
The difference is that Tivo designed the S3 and the TivoHD differently (or they programmed them differently). So the S3 will take a UNofficial drive after flashing the warning message while the HD version will NOT use an UNofficial drive. (I am not versed enough to know if there is a techie workaround for the HD or not - I have an S3, luckily)
Then there must be more substantive differences between the two than generally acknowledged. I thought the only official distinctions were the front panel, remote, HD size and THX cert, relatively trivial stuff....
opus472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:30 AM   #155
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus472
Then there must be more substantive differences between the two than generally acknowledged. I thought the only official distinctions were the front panel, remote, HD size and THX cert, relatively trivial stuff....
See this post regarding TiVo's reasoning behind only allowing the "approved device" to work with TiVo HD's.

Check out this thread for more details about TiVo HD's. (Slightly dated re;eSATA)

Check out this post for spec comparisons.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:34 AM   #156
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams
1. TiVo will still work after you divorce the expansion drive.
Can TiVo even divorce a MFSADDed drive?
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:16 AM   #157
jrock

Quote:
The last option would be my recommendation...although you may not be able to transfer everything as some shows may be flagged.
Hmm now there is another problem with that idea, I transferred over 100 GB's of episodes of Ugly Betty, American Inventor, Big Shots, and Men in Trees and all went fine over the last few days. Today I tried transferring Cane, Big Bang Theory, and Moonlight but they all stop after a few MB of transfer. I rebooted both the PC and TiVo, deleted the files, and tried again but they all stop at the same point they did before. I retried transferring a file I already transferred to make sure something didn't break and it works with the shows I already transferred. So it seems to be having troubles with certain shows. I'm not sure why.

-Joe
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #158
jrock

Wonder how good this is?

Cavalry 750GB - USB 2.0 & eSATA Dual Interface 7200RPM External Hard Drive Kit - CAXM37750

It's only $179.99 at buy.com and you can use the same coupons as the above post. It only has a 1 year warranty though.

-Joe
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #159
Joybob

Quote:
Wonder how good this is?

Cavalry 750GB - USB 2.0 & eSATA Dual Interface 7200RPM External Hard Drive Kit - CAXM37750

It's only $179.99 at buy.com and you can use the same coupons as the above post. It only has a 1 year warranty though.

-Joe
Doesn't have a fan, but for $179.99 it seems good.

Risky IMO.
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #160
richsadams

Quote:
Wonder how good this is?

-Joe
Per the old eSATA expansion FAQ & Troubleshooting post, Cavalry drives displayed almost immediate problems when used with TiVo. See #36. Although the one you’ve listed is a different model, IIRC there were other Cavalry drives that had problems as well.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #161
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
AFAIK there's no reason it wouldn't, but that's a good question...one that Spike could probably give a definitive answer to.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #162
Joybob

Quote:
Per the old eSATA expansion FAQ & Troubleshooting post, Cavalry drives displayed almost immediate problems when used with TiVo. See #36. Although the one you’ve listed is a different model, IIRC there were other Cavalry drives that had problems as well.
That was back when we were still Kickstarting drives. I'm sure with P&P it will work.
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #163
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob
Doesn't have a fan, but for $179.99 it seems good.
How would you know if it does or does not have a fan?

It does have a fan, but it's pretty small. I took the the drive out (WD7500AAKS with 3-year warranty) and use the enclosure as a USB-SATA adapter.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #164
richsadams

Quote:
That was back when we were still Kickstarting drives. I'm sure with P&P it will work.
TiVo’s expansion architecture (both hardware and software) is not relevant. It's the quality and operation of the drive/enclosure that's in question.

After more than six months of history, Cavalry drives (like many others) did not stand up to short and/or long-term compatibility and performance requirements when used with TiVo S3’s.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #165
richsadams

Quote:
Hmm now there is another problem with that idea, I transferred over 100 GB's of episodes of Ugly Betty, American Inventor, Big Shots, and Men in Trees and all went fine over the last few days. Today I tried transferring Cane, Big Bang Theory, and Moonlight but they all stop after a few MB of transfer. I rebooted both the PC and TiVo, deleted the files, and tried again but they all stop at the same point they did before. I retried transferring a file I already transferred to make sure something didn't break and it works with the shows I already transferred. So it seems to be having troubles with certain shows. I'm not sure why.

-Joe
That's an ongoing discussion over on the TTG & MRV thread. I've been keeping up, but it's probably a long slog if you're just jumping in. The posts on the last couple of pages (particularly the last page) seem to be narrowing things like you're seeing down and possible resolutions though.

Best of luck!
Old 10-28-2007, 10:10 PM   #166
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
Yes.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:34 AM   #167
vstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
How would you know if it does or does not have a fan?

It does have a fan, but it's pretty small. I took the the drive out (WD7500AAKS with 3-year warranty) and use the enclosure as a USB-SATA adapter.
The drive was probably sold OEM to Calvary and doesn't necessarily have the 3 year wrranty an OTC unit would. Recommend you check the serial # out at westerndigital.com.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:01 PM   #168
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
I was going to go with the SIIG cable too but it didn't look shielded...
All eSATA cables are shielded (per specification). Some internal SATA cables are shielded (beyond specification).
Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #169
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstone
The drive was probably sold OEM to Calvary and doesn't necessarily have the 3 year wrranty an OTC unit would. Recommend you check the serial # out at westerndigital.com.
I already confirmed it, and so did another member who also bought it.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #170
thxman
Advanced Member

Anyone know of a way to get 9.2 on my S3 quicker?? I used the priority request form last Thursday and even called Tivo today but they were no help. He suggested I restart/reconnect but that did nothing. I'm stuck on 9.1 and at this point not sure if I should use kickstart or just wait since it's now officially supporting my newly purchased WD My DVR (being a bit new to all this; coming from years of using DirecTivo machines).

Anybody got a suggestion for me?

Thanks!
Kevin

Last edited by thxman : 10-29-2007 at 10:44 PM.
thxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:04 AM   #171
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman
Anyone know of a way to get 9.2 on my S3 quicker?? I used the priority request form last Thursday and even called Tivo today but they were no help. He suggested I restart/reconnect but that did nothing. I'm stuck on 9.1 and at this point not sure if I should use kickstart or just wait since it's now officially supporting my newly purchased WD My DVR (being a bit new to all this; coming from years of using DirecTivo machines).

Anybody got a suggestion for me?

Thanks!
Kevin
They say allow up to seven days on the TiVo website but if you've signed up on the priority list it usually only takes about two or three days. Keep in mind they do not download software Sat. or Sun., so if you signed up last Thursday you may receive it in the next day or two.

You can force a connection by going to TiVo Central > Messages and settings > Settings > Phone and network > Connect to the TiVo service now. Once the download has finished and loaded look at the "Last Successful" line on that screen or in System Information and if it says "Pending restart" instead of a date your new software will automatically install at 2 a.m. your time. Or you can reboot TiVo and it will install the upgrade immediately.

Last edited by richsadams : 10-30-2007 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #172
thxman
Advanced Member

Thanks Rich! Guess I'll have to be patient a little longer.

Do you agree with my thought process of waiting instead of kickstart at this point?

Kevin
Old 10-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #173
rrg

Cinemastar, Deskstar?

I'm having trouble finding any reasonable source for the Hitachi Cinemastar 1TB drive named in the list of recommended drives in the FAQ. The Deskstar models, on the other hand, are not hard to find at all.

If I'm going to install the drive in an Antec MX-1 enclosure, is it likely to matter?

I believe I read a reliably-sourced claim on a TCF thread (somewhere, but I can't locate it) that the specs were identical and that it didn't really matter.

But I'm not sure and I'm being cautious.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #174
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Do you agree with my thought process of waiting instead of kickstart at this point?

Kevin
Yes, wait. It's only a matter of days, you might as well wait. IMHO.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #175
JKay

The TiVoHD supports a maximum of 16 exabytes” I saw this in the opening FAQ in item #13; is this true? That would be like being able to record 2,096 million one hour HD TV shows (if my shakey math is correct).

With both tuners going 24/7 you could record about 17,520 one hours shows per years and the Sun would burn out before you could fill up 16 exabytes. You would never have to delete a show ever again.
Series 3, 131 hrs.HD (WD Green 1TB)
SVR2000, 160 hrs.
JKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:11 PM   #176
richsadams

Quote:

Kevin
You can probably go either way. We added ours via KS over six months ago. It's been flawless through three upgrades and is now recognized on TiVo's System Info screen. Up to you...whatever you're more comfortable with. Or as fofer mentioned, it'll probably be only a day or two before you can add it via P&P. It wouldn't make any difference one way or another IMHO, but you should be comfy with your choice.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #177
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKay
The TiVoHD supports a maximum of 16 exabytes” I saw this in the opening FAQ in item #13; is this true? That would be like being able to record 2,096 million one hour HD TV shows (if my shakey math is correct).

With both tuners going 24/7 you could record about 17,520 one hours shows per years and the Sun would burn out before you could fill up 16 exabytes. You would never have to delete a show ever again.
Oh, I think they'll have 3-D holographic-definition TV in another 30 years. Those probably will run 10TB per hour, and 16 exabytes won't be enough.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #178
andrews777

I had to force a connection to Tivo on the Network choice under settings. That is what upgraded me. I think I then did a restart.

Have you done the forced network connection?

Brad
andrews777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #179
thxman
Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback guys; really appreciate it!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:14 PM   #180
CharlesH

Question Power off TiVo when installing drive?

The onscreen guide for installing the approved My DVR Expander drive says to just hook up the eSata cable, power on the drive, and reboot.

The printed info with the Expander drive says to unplug the TiVo, hook up the eSata cable, power on the drive, and then plug in the TiVo.

So is it necessary to power down the TiVo (S3, in my case) or not?

Last edited by CharlesH : 10-30-2007 at 07:23 PM.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote