TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #91
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab2004
So $199 + s/h for 500gb is a pretty good value for a DVR certified drive after all.
I wonder if people had much luck with non DVR certified drives -- I replaced my Series1 internal drive with a generic one in 2003 and it's still going.

I'm wondering (apart from the DVR certified list) which drive would be a good option noise-wise, any ideas?
Have a read of the very first post on this thread...it includes a list of very good drives for internal or external use.

EDIT: Noticed that the new WD 1TB "Green" drive is not included but it's gotten some positive responses as well.

Last edited by richsadams : 10-24-2007 at 07:19 PM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:26 PM   #92
Moricon

My problem with the "approved" solution is that it is a WD drive. My luck with these has always been bad. I much prefer Seagate drives.
Moricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:32 PM   #93
Fab2004

I did say "apart from DVR Certified" what I should have said to be crystal clear would have been: "Intended for DVRs" AND "Cert. for 24/7 Use".

So the question is, apart from this list of expensive "Intended for DVRs" AND "Cert. for 24/7 Use", what other quiet drives have people been using with success?

As I also said, I used a "generic" drive in my Series 1, and after 4 years of 24/7 use is still going strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams
Have a read of the very first post on this thread...it includes a list of very good drives for internal or external use.

EDIT: Noticed that the new WD 1TB "Green" drive is not included but it's gotten some positive responses as well.

Fab2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #94
richsadams

Quote:
I did say "apart from DVR Certified" what I should have said to be crystal clear would have been: "Intended for DVRs" AND "Cert. for 24/7 Use".

So the question is, apart from this list of expensive "Intended for DVRs" AND "Cert. for 24/7 Use", what other quiet drives have people been using with success?

As I also said, I used a "generic" drive in my Series 1, and after 4 years of 24/7 use is still going strong.
FWIW there's really no such thing as a HDD "certified for 24/7 use", drives intended for DVR use are "normal" HDD's which have had minor tweaks including AAM and most drives can be made "quiet" by using programs such as the Hitachi Feature Tool which will allow you to change the factory's AAM settings.

This thread is the Official eSATA Drive Expansion: FAQ + Discussion sticky. If you're looking for "generic, quiet HDD's" a forum search would be your best bet, anything else is OT. A good place to start would be the TiVo Upgrade Center.

Last edited by richsadams : 10-25-2007 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #95
lrhorer

Oh, get real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsabine
I have to say that I am disgusted with Tivo's decision to not allow NON-VERIFIED drives for use with S3HD but to allow use with the more expensive S3.
No one is saying they don't allow it. Generally speaking, the TiVo (or any host in general) doesn't really have any intimate relationship with an attached standard device like a hard drive. While the host may be able to query specific information such as manufacturer, part number, etc. from the peripheral, the device and the host either conform to the standards specifications of interest or they do not. If they do, they should work together, but occasionally one may encounter problems. That is why manufacturers often refuse to support any peripheral they have not tested. If the devices do not quite conform to the standard, it's a crap shoot. This is a second reason why manufactuers often won't support their devices with untested third party equipment.

Quote:
The most ridiculous part of this is that it has been indicated that Tivo didn't want to provide support for these drives.
There is really no reason they should. If they haven't tested it or they tested it and found issues, then it is neither surprising nor malfeasant on their part not to support it.

Quote:
Tivo doesn't have to provide support, they could simply indicate that the user may or may not have positive results with this particular external drive but that Tivo cannot in way warrant the use of the drive.
This is precisely what they have done.

Quote:
What really gets me HOT UNDER THE COLLAR is that I bought a CERTIFIED and RECOMMENDED DRIVE as listed in the forums. See link:
The only drive yet certified by TiVo is the DVR Expander. That the drive you purchased is certified for 24/7 operation in a DVR - or any operation for that matter - by its manufacturer in no way means TiVo will or is required to support it. If it works, fine. If it doesn't, tough.

Quote:
I waited patiently for the 9.2 with eSata expansion for RECOMMENDED AV DRIVES. I didn't open the box. when I found out the "62" kickstart wasn't going to work, I waited and requested the Priority 9.2 software update.
That was a lot of fairly predictably useless waiting if you ask me.

Quote:
Before anyone tries to flame and say that I can use a non-recommended drive by using the MFSLive, DON'T. It's ridiculous because I now have to void a warranty if I want to upgrade by opening the case so that I can marry drives.
Don't be silly. Get your money back on the unsupoported drive and buy a supported one. You could also send your TiVo to PTV Upgrade or Weaknees for them to upgrade under third party warranty.

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-24-2007 at 09:14 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 PM   #96
lrhorer

Antek MX-1

Quote:
Most drives when placed in an Antek MX-1 housing are pretty quiet. I have a regular old Seagate Barracuda 750 in one MX-1 and a Hitachi 1TB Deskstar in another. I can't hear the Hitachi at all, and the Barracuda has seeks which are just barely audible if the sound is shut down completely and the Air Conditioning isn't running.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #97
bkdtv

Quote:

Since members have had a lot of positive things to say about that drive, I've added it to the first post.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #98
Fab2004

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer
Most drives when placed in an Antek MX-1 housing are pretty quiet. I have a regular old Seagate Barracuda 750 in one MX-1 and a Hitachi 1TB Deskstar in another. I can't hear the Hitachi at all, and the Barracuda has seeks which are just barely audible if the sound is shut down completely and the Air Conditioning isn't running.

Fab2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #99
lrhorer

Myths about MythTV

Quote:
Here's the solution to it all www.mythtv.com along with a long list of features that we'll never see on a Tivo.
I'm not sure how that qualifies as "the solution to it all". While MythTV has some very nice features and is of course completely under control of the user in terms of what hardware is used, the last time I checked, MythTV does not have a CableCard solution. That rather blasts the solution out of the water for any of us who have CATV feeds.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:08 AM   #100
JFalc

For quite a while I have had a Tivo Series 3, with an Antec MX-1 and 500gb Seagate DB-35.

I pulled the trigger recently on the $299 + $199 Tivo HD lifetime transfer.

Tonight I just saw for the first time the MRV enabled!!! Woo hoo!!!

Then, I went online to see posts and feel good about MRV and discovered my new Tivo HD now supports an external drive. I just want to say THANKS TIVO for the option to upgrade my Tivo HD with 500GB in additional space for $199. This differentiates your product further from those cable company boxes and represents a great value to me. $199 is a decent deal for 500gb.

These two major upgrades rolling out the same day. Nice work TIVO.

-John
JFalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #101
pjhartman
excitable boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappler
Cost difference: $2.49 (assuming equal shipping costs?)

Obviously your choice of storage space expansion is limited with this solution, but from a price standpoint, isn't this a total wash?
Hey, $2.49 is $2.49.
S3 - TiVo TCD652160
S3 - TiVo TCD652160
pjhartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #102
opus472

Quote:
I'm sure there will be more options...for less...in the months to come. I also think there will be other solutions pretty soon if the creative folks here have anything to do with it.
Yup, but what are folks gonna do about the pile of programs they lose when upgrading? Of course, the big problem is that there's no easy backup solution. Imagine having 500G or 1T of data on your PC with no backup...
opus472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:08 AM   #103
jwalker2020

How noisy is the WD My DVR Expander?

Does anyone have any data on how noisy this drive/enclosure is?
jwalker2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #104
vstone

Doesn't the Tivo warranty only last for 90 days? After that you're on your own anyway.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #105
Joybob

Okay. I need help.

I'm trying to hook up a Seagate Barracude Link
inside a Vizo enclosure using a shielded eSATA cable but the Tivo boots up fine but under settings says nothing is connected. What's the deal?
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #106
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker2020
Does anyone have any data on how noisy this drive/enclosure is?
It's fairly quiet. Noise is comparable to the Tivo itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob
I'm trying to hook up a Seagate Barracude Link
inside a Vizo enclosure using a shielded eSATA cable but the Tivo boots up fine but under settings says nothing is connected. What's the deal?
Do you have a TivoHD or a Series3? What eSATA cable are you using?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #107
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv

Do you have a TivoHD or a Series3? What eSATA cable are you using?
Series 3 with a http://www.sundialmicro.com/IPCQUEEN..._1843_801.html

Although I'm about to cut off some slack to see if sticking the cable in further helps.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #108
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus472
Yup, but what are folks gonna do about the pile of programs they lose when upgrading? Of course, the big problem is that there's no easy backup solution. Imagine having 500G or 1T of data on your PC with no backup...
Yep, agreed...I'm on your side. There are actually ways to copy everything over (even with multiple drives) during an upgrade, but it's certainly not plug and pray. The need for an easy backup solution has been brought up a number of times over the years. I'm all for it!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #109
Ivomir

How bright is the light on the front of the WD box compared to the Tivo display?
My Tivo is right next to the bed and I wouldn't want anything brighter at night.
I've seen comments about the MX-1 that the light is not bright enough, so that would be a plus over the WD.
Ivomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #110
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ivomir, consider this solution:

Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #111
AZrob

Quote:
So does that mean that after all is said and done, the combination of Tivo and expansion drive is as loud as having 2 Tivos? My wife is very sensitive to that disk-rumbling sound....

Rob from AZ
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:20 PM   #112
Joybob

Quote:
Series 3 with a http://www.sundialmicro.com/IPCQUEEN..._1843_801.html

Although I'm about to cut off some slack to see if sticking the cable in further helps.
Confirming that:

1. Seagate Barracuda inside a Vizo Enclosure using a CG6EAS shielded eSATA cable works.

However, you have to chop off some of the excess rubber from the connector for it to go all the way in.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #113
bkdtv

Quote:
Confirming that:

1. Seagate Barracuda inside a Vizo Enclosure using a CG6EAS shielded eSATA cable works.

However, you have to chop off some of the excess rubber from the connector for it to go all the way in.
Good to hear.

With the unofficial expansion in the 8.3.x software, members found that most eSATA cables simply did not work, or did not work reliably with the Tivo. "Non Verified" FAQ #22 in the first post recommends the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 eSATA cable, which forum members found to work very well.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #114
Joybob

Quote:
Good to hear.

With the unofficial expansion in the 8.3.x software, members found that most eSATA cables simply did not work, or did not work reliably with the Tivo. "Non Verified" FAQ #22 in the first post recommends the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 eSATA cable, which forum members found to work very well.
I was going to go with the SIIG cable too but it didn't look shielded. I'm sure cutting off some rubber to make the plug longer will work with any cable.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #115
lostintvland

SATA 1 drive with the HD?

I have a sata 1 drive I put in an enclosure and was using with the SA 8300HD dvr from cablevision. It was working just fine and not giving me any trouble. Now that the new software is out for the HD I want to use that drive to expand the HD. Will it work with a sata 1 drive or will that cause a heap of trouble? My other option is getting the new WD official TIVo drive.
lostintvland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:51 PM   #116
zob

Tripp-Lite Cable

Quote:
Good to hear.

bkdtv, what happened with the Tripp-Lite cable recommendation that was previously posted? I have been using the Tripp-Lite .5 meter cable with my Antec MX1 & Seagate DB35 HD combination & have zero flaws with it. Is there a potential problem I am not aware of? Thanks.
zob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #117
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by zob
bkdtv, what happened with the Tripp-Lite cable recommendation that was previously posted? I have been using the Tripp-Lite .5 meter cable with my Antec MX1 & Seagate DB35 HD combination & have zero flaws with it. Is there a potential problem I am not aware of? Thanks.
I can add that back.

It doesn't fit as "snugly" as the SIIG, so it is more prone to come lose if you are reaching around (or moving) your equipment.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:56 PM   #118
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintvland
I have a sata 1 drive I put in an enclosure and was using with the SA 8300HD dvr from cablevision. It was working just fine and not giving me any trouble. Now that the new software is out for the HD I want to use that drive to expand the HD. Will it work with a sata 1 drive or will that cause a heap of trouble? My other option is getting the new WD official TIVo drive.
As per the first post in this thread, the Western Digital DVR Expander is the only eSATA drive that will work with the TivoHD "out of the box."
Old 10-25-2007, 08:25 PM   #119
zob

Quote:
I can add that back.

It doesn't fit as "snugly" as the SIIG, so it is more prone to come lose if you are reaching around (or moving) your equipment.
Well that explains it, because I generally don't move the external drive very often. So that is why haven't seen any problems. Thanks
zob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:02 PM   #120
selfee

Does anyone know the technical reason that prevents TiVos with expanded internal drives from using the new external expansion out of the box?

In all other respects, the TiVo seems to treat the expanded drive just like its normal original drive, so it seems odd that the external drive won't pair with an embiggened internal drive.
selfee is offline   Reply With Quote