TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
singletb

Cool How long before a bigger official eSATA drive?

Let me start by saying that I am very excited about today's announcements. However, I was hoping for a little more than 500 GB in the expandable storage area. How long (if ever) do you think it will be before 750 GB and 1 TB drives come out? Should I pull the trigger now and risk being stuck with a useless 500 GB drive when bigger models come out? Can an eSATA such as this be re-formated and used as a regular external storage drive on a computer? If so, then it wouldn't be a total waste if a newer, larger model was released.
singletb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Goober96

And can 2 DVR Expanders be connected to one Tivo?
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
Dmon4u
Unresponsive User

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/domore/storage/faqs.html

" Can I use more than one DVR Expander drive with my TiVo® DVR?

No. The TiVo® DVR only supports one DVR Expander."

--

I'm waiting till they at least get to 1 Tb or more. Just guessing, but I'd say that an approved 500 Gb drive is way to small for the majority of those around here.
I deeply appreciate all well-wishers.
Dmon4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
sommerfeld
Lucky (?) 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletb
Can an eSATA such as this be re-formated and used as a regular external storage drive on a computer? If so, then it wouldn't be a total waste if a newer, larger model was released.
Yes.
sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
Joybob

Are you on a S3 or HD?
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Well, what if I doubled the SD recording capacity for you? How about up to 600 hours of SD capacity instead of 300?

Poof! Done.

The quoted '300 hours' is for the Scientific Atlanta DVR, not for a TiVo DVR. The HD numbers are the same, but a TiVo DVR can record up to 600 additional hours of SD content using the My DVR Expander.

Cheers,
Pony
Old 10-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
singletb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
Well, what if I doubled the SD recording capacity for you? How about up to 600 hours of SD capacity instead of 300?

Poof! Done.

The quoted '300 hours' is for the Scientific Atlanta DVR, not for a TiVo DVR. The HD numbers are the same, but a TiVo DVR can record up to 600 additional hours of SD content using the My DVR Expander.

Cheers,
Pony
Don't get me wrong, that is more space than I will ever need for SD. The ever increasing number of HD channels is my main concern. However, reading above about being able to use as a regular external drive on the computer sold me. If there is ever a bigger version of the same product, I can just use my old drive on my computer!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
Joybob

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, that is more space than I will ever need for SD. The ever increasing number of HD channels is my main concern. However, reading above about being able to use as a regular external drive on the computer sold me. If there is ever a bigger version of the same product, I can just use my old drive on my computer!
Dude, use a 1 TB solution if you have an S3.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #9
Joe3

Quote:

Poof! Done.

Cheers,
Pony
Cable has been adding many HD channels these past weeks because of Direct TV's expansion.

A total of 750 G in HD hours?

Poof! Gone.
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #10
singletb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob
Dude, use a 1 TB solution if you have an S3.
I have an S3, but don't feel comfortable with doing a hack or kickstart or whatever else. Can you plug and play drives other than the WD my DVR expander?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #11
Joybob

Quote:
I have an S3, but don't feel comfortable with doing a hack or kickstart or whatever else. Can you plug and play drives other than the WD my DVR expander?
YES!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
singletb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob
YES!!!
Have any reccomendations? From what I have read, an eSATA plugged in to a DVR needs to be a bit more ruged than most.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #13
Joybob

Quote:
Have any reccomendations? From what I have read, an eSATA plugged in to a DVR needs to be a bit more ruged than most.
I think they exaggerate the need for a more robust drive.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #14
spectrumsp

Question TivoPony...Expander help!

Quote:

Poof! Done.

Cheers,
Pony
TivoPony...

First I want to thank you for all of the insight and information you provide all of us...so, with that intro, I'm going to call upon you as the guru of knowledge to solve a preplexing question.

Help me out here...why can an S3 use the MX-1 as an expander but not the THD? It's the same software on both, therefore it contains the same drivers for functionality. The MX-1 should work fine on the THD...if you (Tivo) would only allow it...why not?

Am I missing something?
spectrumsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #15
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumsp
TivoPony...

First I want to thank you for all of the insight and information you provide all of us...so, with that intro, I'm going to call upon you as the guru of knowledge to solve a preplexing question.

Help me out here...why can an S3 use the MX-1 as an expander but not the THD? It's the same software on both, therefore it contains the same drivers for functionality. The MX-1 should work fine on the THD...if you (Tivo) would only allow it...why not?

Am I missing something?
The backdoor that allowed any eSATA drive to work with the Series3 was not intended for public consumption. Once it got out though, there was little we could do short of disabling all the drives the community had already purchased and installed. That would have been unpleasant for everyone, so the Series3 is grandfathered to work with non-verified eSATA drives via the eSATA menus. We will not provide any support however for non-verified drives, or any issues that arise from having used one.

There wasn't a backdoor for the TiVo HD platform, nor will there be one. The TiVo Verified solutions are the way to go with a TiVo HD. I'd recommend it for the Series3 as well!

Pony
Old 10-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #16
tomryan

Quote:
The backdoor that allowed any eSATA drive to work with the Series3 was not intended for public consumption. Once it got out though, there was little we could do short of disabling all the drives the community had already purchased and installed. That would have been unpleasant for everyone, so the Series3 is grandfathered to work with non-verified eSATA drives via the eSATA menus. We will not provide any support however for non-verified drives, or any issues that arise from having used one.

There wasn't a backdoor for the TiVo HD platform, nor will there be one. The TiVo Verified solutions are the way to go with a TiVo HD. I'd recommend it for the Series3 as well!

Pony
And this is why TIVO will always get my money.. Thanks Pony for the honest answer (no support, none expected, I won't call/complain/etc when it breaks) and for doing the "right" thing and grandfathering those users of the S3 who had found a way.
tomryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #17
spectrumsp

Quote:

Pony
TivoPony...

Thank you for your prompt response...

Will Tivo begin, in the near term, evaluating other THD extender devices for compability such as the MX-1...

As an aside...since we already know that the MX-1 functions properly with the existing software, shouldn't Tivo at least allow it to work with THD while it explores other Esata devices for compability.
spectrumsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #18
beerkensp

I upgraded my internal drive to 750Gb. At that time I was convinced that that would be plenty for a long time to come. It is surprising how quickly it fills up with HD content.

I find that if I have not been able to watch a lot of TV for a couple of weeks that my drive is getting full and I have to make the difficult decision of what to delete.

I definitly will be looking to add another 1Tb as an eSata. I wich that my expensive (yes I paid $800) tivo3 was able to support more than 2Tb.
beerkensp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #19
kingmob

I'm wondering whether the DVR Expander can be easily disassembled and a larger hard drive installed, without compromising the ability of Tivo HD's to use it. (If necessary, I suppose one could clone the included drive to the larger replacement, in case there's any relevant software installed on the former.)
kingmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:41 PM   #20
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

I highly recommend that everyone that possibly can man up and do their own MFS upgrades. It is quite a satisfying experience, much cheaper and offers many more options.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:31 PM   #21
andrews777

Quote:
The TiVo Verified solutions are the way to go with a TiVo HD. I'd recommend it for the Series3 as well!

Pony
Will a larger drive be certified any time soon? Does it have to be purchased from Tivo, or is that exact model sufficient? I would rather have 1TB, but I may bite at the current choice if I can skip the extra tax and shipping. (If they still have them in stock of course.)

Brad
andrews777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:58 PM   #22
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumsp
TivoPony...

Thank you for your prompt response...

Will Tivo begin, in the near term, evaluating other THD extender devices for compability such as the MX-1...

As an aside...since we already know that the MX-1 functions properly with the existing software, shouldn't Tivo at least allow it to work with THD while it explores other Esata devices for compability.
FYI... I and a few others have found that the eSATA cable that comes with the MX-1 isn't all that great and caused me issues. The MX-1 paired with a SIIG eSATA cable works great though.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #23
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The backdoor that allowed any eSATA drive to work with the Series3 was not intended for public consumption. Once it got out though, there was little we could do short of disabling all the drives the community had already purchased and installed. That would have been unpleasant for everyone, so the Series3 is grandfathered to work with non-verified eSATA drives via the eSATA menus.
Pony
Thank you TiVoPony. This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me such a fan of TiVo. I happen to be one of the ones who expanded my storage and it was my faith that TiVo Inc. wouldn't screw us over that gave me the confidence to carry that forward. Grandfathering us in, is very much appreciated and shows that TiVo does still care about us "TiVo Fanatics" and "early adopters".
Old 10-23-2007, 02:57 PM   #24
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb
Thank you TiVoPony. This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me such a fan of TiVo. I happen to be one of the ones who expanded my storage and it was my faith that TiVo Inc. wouldn't screw us over that gave me the confidence to carry that forward. Grandfathering us in, is very much appreciated and shows that TiVo does still care about us "TiVo Fanatics" and "early adopters".
Couldn't have said it better myself...and to add to that...phew!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #25
TokyoShoe
Frustrated TiVoHD'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb
Actually I think this is complete and total garbage. It is "Early Adopters" that went out and bought eSATA Drives to use with their TivoHD units in anticipation of being able to use them, just as they were useable with the Tivo Series3's. While I think they are smart not to disable all non-verified drives for previous Series 3 users, I think it's complete and total CRAP much less massively missleading advertising to sell off TivoHD's with an eSATA port .. but NOT tell the users you intend to lock it down and have it behave TOTALLY differently from previous generation Series 3's and their eSATA port.

People bought TivoHD's with eSATA ports specifically to be able to upgrade them the same way people could with their Tivo Series 3's. Yes, I understand that was a "backdoor solution" regarding eSATA use and the Series 3's. But guess what? You NEVER commented on it being an "illegal solution" previously, and since no comments to this fact were ever made.. nor were there EVER comments regarding TivoHD requiring a "Verified Storage Solution" in the future. I personally think this is flat out dirty pool on the part of Tivo and I am losing respect for this company FAST.
TokyoShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Early adopters bought the Series 3 TiVo(in 2006). By the time the TiVoHD came out that was much later so i wouldn't call anyone who got a TiVoHD an early adopter.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #27
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmob
I'm wondering whether the DVR Expander can be easily disassembled and a larger hard drive installed, without compromising the ability of Tivo HD's to use it. (If necessary, I suppose one could clone the included drive to the larger replacement, in case there's any relevant software installed on the former.)
No. Its not the enclosure that the Tivo is keying on.... Its the drive itself. The enclosure is invisable from the SATA interface. Its just a box.

Now you could possibly buy a WD A/V drive and put it in an MX-1 and have it work fine. The question is whether there is a difference between the raw A/V drive and the one in the My DVR Expander.

It could be tested using the drive taken out of a THD and hook it to an unmodified THD.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #28
ufo4sale

Quote:

Poof! Done.

Cheers,
Pony
No offense but people don't buy "HD" TiVo's to watch SD content. 60 hours of HD is way to small. It might be good for now since the majority of shows aren't offered in HD but in a year or so when more channels are added the Hard Drive is going to run out of space very quickly.

Last edited by ufo4sale : 10-24-2007 at 11:51 AM.
ufo4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict

So I wonder if it's possible to extract the 500GB drive and copy it to a 1TB drive and have it work properly.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #30
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoShoe
Actually I think this is complete and total garbage. It is "Early Adopters" that went out and bought eSATA Drives to use with their TivoHD units in anticipation of being able to use them, just as they were useable with the Tivo Series3's.
Perhaps you missed it, but there was no TiVo support for eSATA on S3's or THD's until this week.

Quote:
While I think they are smart not to disable all non-verified drives for previous Series 3 users, I think it's complete and total CRAP much less massively missleading advertising to sell off TivoHD's with an eSATA port .. but NOT tell the users you intend to lock it down and have it behave TOTALLY differently from previous generation Series 3's and their eSATA port.
See above.

Quote:
People bought TivoHD's with eSATA ports specifically to be able to upgrade them the same way people could with their Tivo Series 3's.
You may have, the general public did not and anyone that did took their chances and have no recourse…see above.

Quote:
Yes, I understand that was a "backdoor solution" regarding eSATA use and the Series 3's. But guess what? You NEVER commented on it being an "illegal solution" previously, and since no comments to this fact were ever made.. nor were there EVER comments regarding TivoHD requiring a "Verified Storage Solution" in the future.
See above.

Quote:
I personally think this is flat out dirty pool on the part of Tivo and I am losing respect for this company FAST.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion...and we can see that you don't let facts stand in the way of shaping it.

FYI, many of us began modifying S3's more than six months ago, not THD’s (which didn’t exist at the time). Whatever you are, you are not an “early adopter”.

Look, you have been whining about this on dozens of threads since you became a forum member…we get it. Man up and deal with it or do us all a favor and take your TiVo back for a refund and take up some other pastime.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote