TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #181
jimhutchins

Confused Bright House Reps

I just bought my second THD. I called Bright House (possibly better named Dim Shanty) to get the cable cards installed. The rep told me that they don't support Tivo's. When I pointed out that I have one now and that they installed cable cards in it just weeks ago, I got put on hold. She came back and said that they do support them, but that they don't install the cards -- I have to come get them. When I reminded her that they installed them for me just weeks ago, I got put back on hold. Finally she came back and scheduled an appointment. Amazing.
jimhutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #182
MikeyB
Distracted Member

Did the rep speak broken English? If not I can't imagine why she couldn't understand you the first few times you explained it.
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #183
windracer
joined the 10k club

I would've jumped on the opportunity to do a self-install!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:16 PM   #184
jimhutchins

Confused Bright House Reps (Part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB
Did the rep speak broken English? If not I can't imagine why she couldn't understand you the first few times you explained it.
She spoke clear English without even a hint of an accent. In Indiana, the reps appear to be true locals. She just seemed baffled by almost everything (cablecards, TIVO's, etc.). She even said that this was her first cablecard request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
I would've jumped on the opportunity to do a self-install!
I thought about tring a self-install for about two seconds. BUT... then I thought about my last experience with them. The senior "troubleshooting" tech that Bright House sent out for the 2nd visit spent 45 minutes on his Nextel trying to get his coworker to activate the card in the Bright House system. Based on that, I decided that doing a self-install with them on the other end of the phone would be slightly less fun than running my hand through a meat grinder.

Last edited by jimhutchins : 10-04-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #185
TomRaz

Well I just purchased a Tivo HD and Brighthouse is coming out this Saturday to installed one M series card.

I actually contact the area supervisor once I placed my order and asked him to get a M series card if possible and to send a tech who has done previous cable card installs.

Hopefully mine will go off without a hitch.

Does anyone else have a M series card from Brighthouse in Tampabay ?

If so do they charge you a single $3.95 per month or due they charge you 2-$3.95 charges per month even though they only provide you with one physical cablecard ?

I am just curious how the billing is handled.
TomRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #186
Lukej

Here is what the admin of my cable company posted. It is small, but their cable boxes do have cablecards for digital cable. Yet they don't hand them for TVs or TIVO. Is that legal?

Re: Cablecard
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 06:52:40 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All new boxes (units purchased after June 2007) have separable security - meaning they are authorized by means of a CableCard. However, the cards are bound to the boxes. Later in the year we anticipate getting a few of the cards by themselves so that customers with CableCard compliant televisions can use them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General Manager / Director
Lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #187
demon
BURNINATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukej
Here is what the admin of my cable company posted. It is small, but their cable boxes do have cablecards for digital cable. Yet they don't hand them for TVs or TIVO. Is that legal?
They're legally bound to provide the CableCARDs, and it should be no mystery to them. This "oh, we don't have any right now, but we will eventually, we think" line that some companies try to feed their customers is ridiculous. You can try filing a complaint with the FCC via their online submission form - that's what I did, and trust me, getting that letter from the FCC saying there's a complaint on record will really make them sit up and pay attention.
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #188
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRaz
Well I just purchased a Tivo HD and Brighthouse is coming out this Saturday to installed one M series card.

I actually contact the area supervisor once I placed my order and asked him to get a M series card if possible and to send a tech who has done previous cable card installs.

Hopefully mine will go off without a hitch.

Does anyone else have a M series card from Brighthouse in Tampabay ?

If so do they charge you a single $3.95 per month or due they charge you 2-$3.95 charges per month even though they only provide you with one physical cablecard ?

I am just curious how the billing is handled.
Bright House here in Indiana has stated they do not plan to ever have the Multi Stream cards, go figure...
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #189
jimhutchins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Diablo
Bright House here in Indiana has stated they do not plan to ever have the Multi Stream cards, go figure...
I was told the same thing regarding Multi Stream cards. A tech also told me that he heard that Comcast will soon be buying out Bright House in Indiana. No verification on that from anybody though.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #190
jimhutchins

The Amazing Appearing MCard

I had a 10A-12P installation window with Bright House today. The installer showed up at 11:40 without calling ahead (contrary to what the scheduler said would happen). Other than that, he was great. He brought an MCard (the same MCard that his coworker said that Bright House Indiana wouldn't ever have). He got it working almost immediately. The guy he talked to on his Nextel put it in the system and both channels of HD encrypted programming immediately appeared. I have no idea what I'll get billed, but so far it is working great.

So, to summarize, I was told by Bright House that they don't support Tivo's and that they don't have MCards. Today I had an MCard installed in my Tivo by a Bright House installer.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:39 PM   #191
kochsr

http://michigan.mybrighthouse.com/pr...g/default.aspx

Cable card (as primary outlet) $9.50
Cable card (additional outlet) $7.95

apparentl it is going to cost me 17.45 a month for freakin' tivo... plus the 13.95 a month. i can't believe my wife thinks this is worth it.
kochsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #192
TomRaz

Bright House Tampa Bay Cable Card Saga

Well I purchased a Tivo HD this week and peformed the initial setup to download the last software prior to Brighthouse coming onsite since there were known issues with SA cables cables.

The initial setup went fine several days ago and I updated the Tivo HD software to the lastest version

Bright House tech shows up on time with a M series card. He had never done a M series installation. I showed him the various instructions and screen shots from the forum and I actually performed the installation myself while he watched.

The Tivo HD recogized the card like it was suppose to and he called the information from the M series card to the dispatch dept.

I will summarize the next 6 hours. The card ended up not being authenticated properly on the NOC at Bright House in Brandon. Several M Series CC were tried and two trips by the tech.

It took me about 6 phone calls to Bright House and we finally got it working.

It appears the technology is ahead of the support by a long shot.

Well the good news is my Tivo HD is finally working
Old 10-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #193
TiVoToo

Orlando CableCard Install

Had a pair of CableCARDs installed in one of my S3s on Saturday. Other than installer showing up 90 minutes after scheduled window, the install went without a hitch. Until now, I have had BHN standard cable. Since I live close to the Bithlo antenna farm, I can get HD via antenna (or clear QAM). However, once the wife learned that Food Channel HD and HGTV HD were now available as part of BHN digital cable lineup - she had to have it. [And since History Channel HD had also been added, I was easily persuaded.] I called BHN and ordered a pair of CableCARDS - didn't even tell them they were for a TiVo, and they didn't ask what device they were for. Price for 2 S-Cards plus upgrade to DPP was additional $12.95/mo.
When installer arrived, he was expecting to install into a pair of TVs. When I showed him the TiVo, he was surprised. I asked if he'd ever installed to a TiVo before. He said no, so I walked him through it. I installed each card, and pulled up the configuration screen. All he had to do was make the call. At first, he wanted to do both at once, but I told him no. Did them in sequence, tested after each one, and was done in less than 15 minutes. During entire process though, he did keep trying to sell me on switching to a BHN DVR.
When the rumored MRV capability for S3s shows up, I'm all set. I can record History Channel shows on 'Her S3' and watch them on 'His S3'. <big smile>
By the way, the addition of the Food Channel HD, HGTV HD, and History Channel HD are so recent to lineup that the TiVo doesn't provide the Guide data for them yet, but the channels are there. If you don't get them, repeat Guided setup.
TiVoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:29 AM   #194
TwinCityTVHound

Tampa Bay pricing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRaz
Well I purchased a Tivo HD this week and peformed the initial setup

...snip...

It took me about 6 phone calls to Bright House and we finally got it working.

It appears the technology is ahead of the support by a long shot.

Well the good news is my Tivo HD is finally working
That is good news for you.

I'm in Tampa, and considering the same kind of install. Two questions (or 3):

- Are you using a S3 SA TiVo? Do both tuners work with a single M card installed?
- What is Brighthouse charging per month for the cable card? Is it cheaper to have one "M", two "S" or the same?

TIA...
TwinCityTVHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #195
TomRaz

Smile

I am using the Tivo HD which is the lower priced model of the Tivo dvr's that are capable of HD recording. The other model is a Series 3 which also does HD recording.

The Tivo HD supports either one M type cable card or two S type cable cards. I went with the one M series card and it has two tuners in the one card so I can record two HD programs on different channels at the same time.

Bright House is only charging me for one cable card at $3.95 per month
Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #196
kochsr

well, according to my wife, tivo is now up and running with both cablecards. apparently, despite me leaving the instructions with the "install one card at a time" line highlighted, and my wife insisting that the tech install one card at a time, he put in both at once.

of course, the tivo then did not work.

after four hours, he unplugged both, and installed one at a time.

miraculously, it worked right away.

i have not yet gone home and checked it myself (i am on call until 1am unfortunately)
kochsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #197
sharp1

So, can anyone confirm whether or not M-Cards are available in the Tampa area?

Also, does the S3 still not support these? I would love an additional S3, but would rather get rid of the 2 S-Cards @3.95 each, and get 2 M-cards plus an additional TiVo if it were possible. I don't want to give BH any more money than I already do! (Plus I live too far from the metropolitan areas to get more than a few OTA HD channels! :-( )
sharp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #198
TomRaz

Sharp1 I live in Pinellas county and I have Brighthouse and I do have a M series SA card.

If you go with the Tivo HD you will only need 1-M Series card, if you decide to go with the Tivo Series 3 then you will need 2-S Series cards.

If you call and place your order with BH request a M series card since you know others in the Tampa area have them.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 PM   #199
sharp1

Thanks. I think I will go with the TiVo HD for TiVo #2 then.
sharp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #200
sketchy12314

M-cards are now available in Bakersfield.
sketchy12314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #201
phdeez

Anyone in Orlando get an M card for a TivoHD? I see other areas in FL getting them...
phdeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #202
phdeez

Anyone? I've already ordered a TivoHD and am hoping they can install an MCard to save $4/mo
Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #203
leighnjo

Smile

About 2 weeks ago, I hooked up a TIVO HD in my bedroom. When I called to activate, I indicated that I wanted an M card and to be sure it was on the order. After the tech came and picked up the 8300HD, a supervisor came with the M card and we were up and running in about 20 minutes (most of the time was on the phone with the office). The supervisor had experience with TIVO installs and was very knowledgable. He ever left his cell number in case I had any problems! An excellent experience which I hope will be repeated as I just got a second HD for the main room.
leighnjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:11 PM   #204
TomRaz

Leighngo are you sure you called Brighthouse because your experence sounds way to good

I am glad your was up and running so quick
Old 10-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #205
JDSmooth

I am in Lakeland - Polk County Brighthouse. I have had 2 S-Series CableCards in my S3 for over 6 months. Recently they seem to lose thier activation repeatedly. Right now they have been "rehit" by phone support multiple times. One is working again, and one will only show me basic cable. I am about to reboot and see if that will help.

I have scheduled service visits twice. On first visit the tech had no cablecards. On second visit the tech came in with two old cards he had "found in his truck." I said thanks but no thanks and sent him on his way. My signal strength is good. Any ideas?
JDSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:16 AM   #206
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Sorry, I think this is a red herring. This MIGHT be the case in some instances, but not as a general rule.
Figured as much, whom do you believe? Tivo ? So it appears that Tivo and the cable providers are all too eager to pass the responsibility to the other...
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:55 AM   #207
YoungDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdeez
Anyone in Orlando get an M card for a TivoHD? I see other areas in FL getting them...

I had an M-card installed in a TivoHD last week. Lake Nona area.

However, I suggest you keep calling BHN until you get a cable card knowledgeable rep. My experience:

Day 1:
Spoke to rep who knew about cable cards but was enough of a salesman to make me think twice about getting rid of BHN HD-DVR. He said cable cards MUST be installed by BHN. He offered me some deal to reduce my bill by ~$10/month.

Day 2:
Decided to go with cable cards. Bought a TivoHD. Called BHN and spoke with a rep who didn't know much about cable cards. She said I couldn't get cable cards without returning my DVR first because cable cards are only offered as a replacement. I said that makes no sense. She put me on hold for a long time. Came back and said I could come to the cable store and pick them up myself. Told her that's not what I was told yesterday. She put me on hold for a very long time. Came back, said a few words and then put me on hold for a very long time again. I hung up (almost an hour by this point). I called back and spoke to another rep. I asked for a rep that knew about cable cards. She said she could help me. I told her the 1st person I spoke to said that BHN had to install them, but the 2nd person said I could come get them myself. She said 2nd person was wrong and an installer MUST do it. She asked me what model TV I had and I said it was for a TiVoHD. She scheduled an appointment.

Appointment:
I was expecting 2 S-cards. Installer showed up with 1 card. I said I needed 2. He said, "But this is an M-card." He said he'd done cablecard installations before, but never on a TiVo. TivoHD already had the latest updates. He gave me the card and I put it in Slot 1. The Tivo initially showed 2 numbers that were needed by the installer, but we did not write them down. Afterwards the TiVo took over and installed some kind of update to the card. It took about 10-15 minutes before it was finished and we could get back to the screen with those 2 numbers. He then called BHN, gave them the numbers, and within a minute, both tuners were working with all basic, pays & HD channels. Installer says, "Wow. You'll be able to remove the cost for the HD-DVR and remote rental as well as the Navigator from your bill. Maybe I'll go back to TiVo."

Yesterday:
I bought another TiVoHD. I called BHN last night to schedule an appointment. Rep had no clue. She acted as if she knew what cablecards were but kept putting me on hold; so I knew something wasn't right. She proceeded to schedule an appointment. I asked that the installer bring an M-Card. She puts me on hold.

Conversation...
Rep: We don't have M-cards.
Me: Yes, you do. You installed one for me last week.
(Rep puts me on hold)
Rep: Is the one you already have an M-Card?
Me: Yes.
Rep: Well, are you going to replace that one with this one?
Me: No.
Rep: Well, what do you want this one for?
Me: I'm replacing my remaining cable box.
(Rep puts me on hold for a long time)
Rep: What kind of TV do you have?
Me: It's going in a TiVo, not a TV.
(Rep puts me on hold)
Rep: We only install cablecards in TVs.
Me: No. You installed one in a TiVo for me last week.
(Rep puts me on hold)
Rep: The cablecards will not work in a Tivo.
Me: I'm watching cable right now on the TiVo you guys put a cable card in last week.
Rep: The M-Cards will not work in a TiVo.
Me: I have a TiVoHD. They do work, as I am watching cable on my M-Card using TiVo right now.
(At this point I could hear the rep covering the phone and repeating my responses to someone in the background and getting her responses from him.)
Rep: Cablecards have to be installed in a TV.
Me: Thank you. I'll call back.
Rep: So you don't want to schedule the appointment?
Me: No offense, but my experience is this can be a nightmare if you're not dealing with people who know anything about cablecards. So no, I will call back another time.
[Click]

I will call again today, and keep calling, until I get someone who knows about CableCards. I will also check my installation receipt from last week and see if I can get the name/# of that installer. There needs to be a secret code or something only for people that have graduated from CableCard University so the conversation can go something like this:

Rep: How may I help you?
Me: May I please have a rep that knows something about cablecards?
Rep: I can help you.
Me: What's the passphrase?
Rep: Huh?

[Click]

Rep: Hello? Hello?

It will save us all a lot of time.

Last edited by YoungDragon : 10-31-2007 at 06:59 AM.
YoungDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:15 AM   #208
phdeez

Wow Young Dragon, you've had one heck of a ride with the Cable Cards! I'd suggest using the online system to schedule an appointment. Go here and you'll get an email in a few hours with a response and appointment. I'm glad to hear someone here locally has gotten an MCard! My install is scheduled tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes!

Say something in the email like:

BH,
Please send a tech out between 10am and 12pm on 11/3 to install (1) Multi Stream Card.

Thanks,
Young Dragon
Old 10-31-2007, 03:00 PM   #209
YoungDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdeez
Wow Young Dragon, you've had one heck of a ride with the Cable Cards! I'd suggest using the online system to schedule an appointment. Go [removed] and you'll get an email in a few hours with a response and appointment. I'm glad to hear someone here locally has gotten an MCard! My install is scheduled tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes!

Say something in the email like:

BH,
Please send a tech out between 10am and 12pm on 11/3 to install (1) Multi Stream Card.

Thanks,
Young Dragon

Good luck with that! After talking to 6 different reps and a supervisor over the last 3 hours, I was finally able to schedule an appointment for another CableCard installation on Friday.

That's right... it took all of that just to SCHEDULE a cablecard installation!

Problem... when I returned my HD Box, the morons removed my HD Tier. So now HBO HD, SHO HD, and all the 1300 channels are gone. Reps had no clue how to put them back on because the system kept telling them they couldn't give me HD channels since I have no HD cable box on my account. I explained to them that the cablecard should be treated as if it was a box. If I had 5 BHN cable boxes and returned one of them, the other 4 should still work. Supervisor said the problem was that whoever scheduled the install, listed both of my cablecards (the one I was requesting, as well as the one I've had over a week now) as pending installs... [As it turns out, one of the reps I spoke to was new. Neither that rep nor her supervisor had any idea what an M-card or s-card was. So even though I hung up, they kept my account open trying to figure out how to work with cablecards. So "current" supervisor had to call that office to get those people out of my account before proceeding..] She said she knew what codes to use to set everything right. However, she did not share the procedure with her reps (shouldn't someone be training the reps???), and as of this moment it is still not working.

So now, I am waiting for the tech to come do the install in the new Tivo on Friday and troubleshoot the one they did last week. So, possible issues will be:

1- Tech comes with 1 card that is not an M-Card.
2- Tech cannot get previous install working again.
3- Tech gets everything working correctly, but when BHN gets my remaining DVR back in the office and removes it from my account, I lose my channels and have to go thru all this nonsense again.

Almost not even worth it!
YoungDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #210
TomRaz

Sad to say but there are very few people within Brighthouse that either have the knowledge about cable cards or they are trying to drag their feet and not support the customers requests to install cable cards.

I would suggest you find out where your Brighthouse headquarters are and call the main switch board and ask to speak to someone in executive management concerning a unresolved customer support issue.

That approach worked for me and I do get better than average responses when I call the key people I have knowledge of.