TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #3991
ji0005

Quote:
Originally Posted by slay65
My question is: what are the odds this person will be able to fix my problem or will they need to come back out with a new card? Based on looking at the cable card screens, the card is paired but it is not authorized. In the authorization field it say MP. Not sure what NP is, but based on my reading it should say S.

Any comments?
They SHOULD be able to get you squared away without another visit. Mine said MP before they got everything straightened out.
ji0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #3992
ji0005

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaD
I frankly wouldn't trust any "wait 24 hours" stuff. My advice is to not let them leave the house till it's working perfectly or they declare the card 'bad'.
I had a tech tell me (from Tinley Park), "dont let them tell you it will take x amount of hours to get your HBO going. It should work pretty quickly."

that being said, I think that the hits can "queue" up, I have heard that before.
ji0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #3993
slay65

It works!

A nice lady from Comcast called me about 30 minutes ago. I explained the problem and she tried to HIT the card again. It did not work. She asked me to confirm the host ID and the data field. She gave it one more HIT and it worked!

Not sure if the installer had provided the wrong host ID or Data field info yesterday to the office but it works now. I get all my channels including my premiums (HBO).

I think Comcast would have saved themselves a lot of $$$ if they just allowed me to pick up my cards and gave me a number to call to active where the person on the other end of the phone knew how to provision these cards.
slay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #3994
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by slay65
A nice lady from Comcast called me about 30 minutes ago. I explained the problem and she tried to HIT the card again. It did not work. She asked me to confirm the host ID and the data field. She gave it one more HIT and it worked!

Not sure if the installer had provided the wrong host ID or Data field info yesterday to the office but it works now. I get all my channels including my premiums (HBO).

I think Comcast would have saved themselves a lot of $$$ if they just allowed me to pick up my cards and gave me a number to call to active where the person on the other end of the phone knew how to provision these cards.
How long does a 'hit' take to get from their base to the cablecard?
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #3995
tmesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy
So what'd they give you? I got a month comped (cable and HSI), the introductory HSI price for six months, $10 off for six months, and six months free Showtime.
All I asked for was a credit for every installation and change of service fee for which I was charged, and that came to $75.76. I probably should have demanded more, but my saga "only" went on for two weeks, and some of that was because I was out of town.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #3996
tmesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji0005
I had a tech tell me (from Tinley Park), "dont let them tell you it will take x amount of hours to get your HBO going. It should work pretty quickly."

that being said, I think that the hits can "queue" up, I have heard that before.
Yeah, I've had hits delayed by up to 30 minutes because of "network congestion." Never hours, though.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:50 PM   #3997
slay65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob
How long does a 'hit' take to get from their base to the cablecard?
It only took a couple minutes today. Yesterday when they tried, it was backed up so they said it would take 20-40 minutes.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #3998
theinfamous

Help Me TiVo Forum you're my only hope

Ohhh the nightmare that has been these blasted cablecards and the helpdesks of Tivo and Comcast. I have the grey screen of death on most of my channels.

I live in Metro Detroit running HD TiVo with Comcast and an MCard by Motorola. Anyone else have a similar setup? I have the 8.1 SW version.

I bought a TiVo HD about two weeks ago. Got a cablecard a week after. I have never seen it work. They have sent out techs from Comcast at least 4 times.

I have had TiVo people and Comcast people talk to each other. It seems none of them know what is going on. They send "hard hits" but can't get the card to decrypt my channels. They have swapped cards. They have paired them countless times. They have sent "hard hits". I have talked to supervisors at TiVo but they can't figure it out.

How hard would it be to list the channels I should have access to on the TiVo?

I blame TiVo and Comcast. This is really awful. I can't even tell whose side the problem is on and it seems neither can Comcast or TiVo.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? Right now I am waiting the seven days to get my SW update to see if that will fix it. If not I have to swap it for another TiVo HD box. Which will probably take another week or two after that.

What p!sses me off is having almost no control over getting it to work. This whole cablecard bullocks is a bunch of ****e!!

FYI the free HD channels work just great on both of the card's tuners which leads me to think it is not a hardware issue. Again it pisses me off I get no information whether it has received a list of channels I am authorized to see. This should be something TiVo should provide. The existing techie screens are worthless and not used by myself, Comcast techs, or TiVo techs.

Comcast needs the CableCARD ID, the Host ID, and Data. After that they seem to leave it up to luck.

Again... any suggestions?
theinfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:33 PM   #3999
LisaD

theinfamous - that's a shame. I feel so bad for you. Wish I could help but I've no suggestion other than keep on their butts. I'm starting to think there's a blazingly high rate of bad cards out there AND I'm sure at least some areas are not dealing with those bad cards right and putting them back into circulation.

Comcast is SO going to raise all our bills due to the cable card fiascos. Think of all the hours & hours these techs are 'working' to get these to work.
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:51 PM   #4000
Gene Plantz
Four Tivos

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamous
Ohhh the nightmare that has been these blasted cablecards and the helpdesks of Tivo and Comcast. I have the grey screen of death on most of my channels.
Believe me, I feel your pain.

I live in the Chicago suburban area and have a Tivo Series 3 installed almost exactly 1 year ago. It was working perfectly all that time. I even added an eSata external drive which works fine as well.

Friday night at almost exactly 10PM, I lost most of my channels. I do get a few channels like The Military Channel and old-time-TV and TNTHD but not much else... just a grey screen. On both cablecards. The diagnostic screen shows "no digital signal" on those but signal strength of 90-100 on the ones that do work.

I called and got a script-reader who said he sent a reset but nothing changed. He was going to set up a tech visit when the call was disconnected. No return call from him. I checked out the RF cables, etc. I have Comcast digital set-top boxes and they receive ALL channels.

I called back and got another script-reader. Sent a reset... nothing changed. Tech scheduled for Saturday.

He arrives, tests cable signal strength (good) and other stuff. No clue. He swaps out cablecard #2 but it makes NO difference at all after setup. Still have about 90% of channels missing. He has no idea and no one he phones knows either. Said he would try to get his supervisor to come out Tuesday so I'm hoping he knows more.
Gene Plantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:12 AM   #4001
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
The existing techie screens are worthless and not used by myself, Comcast techs, or TiVo techs.
By techie screens do you mean the Cable Card screens? If so what do they say?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:04 AM   #4002
Speed RacerX

I must be lucky. For the record, I live in Spring, TX (North of Houston). I picked up two m-cards from the local Comcast office on Saturday but ended up needing only one. One phone call to Comcast got the card activated, and within 24 hours, both receivers on the m-card were working. I could record two programs on different channels at the same time without any glitches/problems. Compared to the setup I went through with my Comcast HD DVR prior to the TiVo HD, it was relatively painless. All I had to do was read some numbers from the setup screen of the TiVo and we were watching HD TV through the TiVo. I didn't have to pay anything for installation, etc.

Now I have an extra m-card I'll be taking back to Comcast tomorrow along with the DVR I no longer need. Comcast has been nothing but helpful and "on the ball" for me. Now I just can't wait for multi-room viewing to be enabled on the TiVo HD so that I can watch content from my Series 2 TiVo (I hope it will work!).
Speed RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #4003
theinfamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
By techie screens do you mean the Cable Card screens? If so what do they say?
Yes the cable card screens.

on the Val: piece it states it is validated V 0x01

On the pairing screen. If it is tuned on both of the tuners to different channels I actually see then all it has the network, data, and host ID. I am told this is a good sign.

However, if it is tuned on a channel I do not see there is a lot of information but as I understand it most importantly the Authorization Auth: states MP. Which I am told is bad.

My point is that Comcast is limited by just sending a signal on their side. But since the card does not transmit they cannot tell if it is a success. And there is no screen on the TiVo side that will state if receiving the authorized channels has been a success or not. It's complete bullocks. I've been calling every day for around two weeks. The Comcast people have thrown up their hands in surrender and TiVo is asking that I send the box back to them after I have tried a SW update to 9.1 Again I can't t really tell whose side the problem is on.

This is what I would do if I were TiVo.

1. List all compatible CABLECARDS
2. Add a Diagnostic screen that shows channels that are authorized and the date and time that it received the authorization.
3. When it is receiving the listed channels, state that it is receiving the data. And a success screen when it finishes.

If I were Comcast I would bring out a cable box and try to authorize the card with the cablebox. Hrrrm I may just call them and see if I can set that up.

I've been a TiVo lover since around 2000. How easily it can switch to hate and frustration.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:24 AM   #4004
theinfamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Plantz
Believe me, I feel your pain.

He arrives, tests cable signal strength (good) and other stuff. No clue. He swaps out cablecard #2 but it makes NO difference at all after setup. Still have about 90% of channels missing. He has no idea and no one he phones knows either. Said he would try to get his supervisor to come out Tuesday so I'm hoping he knows more.
Thanks... misery loves company. I need a lot of company around now. I'm also at a loss. It's been such a horrible experience I'm thinking about just returning the TiVo.

Actually you should call and ask to talk to Comcast dispatch and then tell dispatch to send a "hard hit" to your cable card. Hope that helps.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #4005
murryamorris

Quote:

I live in Metro Detroit running HD TiVo with Comcast and an MCard by Motorola. Anyone else have a similar setup? I have the 8.1 SW version.

I bought a TiVo HD about two weeks ago. Got a cablecard a week after. I have never seen it work. They have sent out techs from Comcast at least 4 times.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? Right now I am waiting the seven days to get my SW update to see if that will fix it. If not I have to swap it for another TiVo HD box. Which will probably take another week or two after that.

Again... any suggestions?

I had picked up my Tivo HD from Costco (have an S3 that works fine with both cards for about 9 months). Picked up 2 S cards since the office didn't have M cards and neither worked after 4 calls to Comcast over about 7 days. I took the Tivo back to Costco and got another unit. Still didn't work after a couple of more calls with hits to the cards. I didn't get any channels on the cards. Ended up with a service call and the guy had 2 M cards. He didn't know much (didn't even know they were M cards) but we pulled the two cards, inserted one M card and dispatch sent a hit to it. Both tuners got channels up to 119 but all the channels above it were blank. Dispatch hadn't sent the correct hit for my account and they resent it with the correct lineup and all started working. I don't know if this is your problem but if you get basic channels (and maybe local HD) but not another tier, you can have them try to check the hit to be sure it is the correct lineup.

I would get a second unit and try it with 9.1. When neither unit worked, it had 8.x but just before the tech came out with the M cards, it updated to 9.1. I made him wait while the update happened. They really don't like this but it was fun to make Comcast wait for a change.
murryamorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #4006
slay65

I am starting to think that Comcast doesn't want cable card installs to go smoothly. I think they are trying to build up some internal stats that say: we spend XXXX million dollars installing cable cards, and it takes us Y times longer for a cable card install then a cable box install.

They can use that data in front of congress next time congress calls them to complain about cable rate hikes. They will justify their increase by saying that the government made them support these cable cards which increased their operational expenses. So you can either get rid of these cable cards or we must keep our rate increase.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #4007
john wiens

I live in York PA, HD TiVo with Comcast and an MCard by Scientitic Atlanta. I have the software v8.1. I too can't get any channles above the basic (78 Channnles). I can get about 8 free local channles ABC,NBC,CBS in HD.
Premier (For Sale) 320GB v20.3.7.1a
Roamio 3TB v20.3.7.2
Stream v19.1.3b-01-6
Mini
iPad TiVo app
PyTiVo & kmttg
john wiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #4008
theinfamous

I was upgraded tonight to 9.2. I called Comcast and verified:

Cablecard ID
Host ID
Data

They said it all matched and I had them send a hard hit. unfortunately it was a no go. However the operator then talked to her supervisor and they said that they sent me a cablecard that was suppose to go into one of their DVRs?? So she set up another service request (the 5th guy to come out now) for this Saturday. We'll see how it goes. She doesn't know if they are sending two cable cards or just one.

But apparently you need to tell them that this is your TiVo unit you bought not a Comcast TiVo or a comcast DVR. I actually feel somewhat optimistic because it didn't sound like BS. So I'll give you an update this Saturday.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 PM   #4009
john wiens

theinfamous, have you checkout this tivo web link

http://customersupport.tivo.com/Laun...chor=undefined
Premier (For Sale) 320GB v20.3.7.1a
Roamio 3TB v20.3.7.2
Stream v19.1.3b-01-6
Mini
iPad TiVo app
PyTiVo & kmttg
john wiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 PM   #4010
theinfamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by john wiens
theinfamous, have you checkout this tivo web link
Yes thank you. It's really not helpful though.

I'm beginning to think it is a cable company comcast issue. We'll see on Saturday.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:43 AM   #4011
mbundrick

I had two cablecards installed on Saturday (Atlanta area). I asked the guy if he had done a TiVo install before, and he said he had. I don't believe him at all because he seemed utterly clueless. He was there forever and wound up having to call customer support to get the cards activated. He arrived late and wouldn't even stick around to test it. He bolted! Luckily, it all seems to work.

I'm new to this, but I think I was given two multi-stream cards and apparently I only needed one because my TiVo calls it an "extra cablecard." We'll wait a couple of months to see how it's being charged and return it (if we can) if we're paying for it.
mbundrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 AM   #4012
Ryan0751

Got my cable card setup yesterday. The entire experience can be summed up in 3 words: OH. MY. GOD.

I called last week to setup the appointment, and the person on the phone was familiar with Tivo HD and the cable cards.

Yesterday, the sketchy comcast service person showed up with no cablecard, and a Comcast DVR. He had never installed a cable card, knew nothing about them other then they existed. At first he told me he would have to come back (after my taking the afternoon off from work).

For the next hour there were calls to different service people in the area, Nextel's to his girlfriend "yo baby wassup"... and my having to listen to a gangster rap ringtone over and over.

Then, another service person randomly showed up with two cards. One of them was marked m-card, so I grabbed that one and followed the TiVo instructions. Fortunately I had read up on the card install and knew what to expect.

The Comcast guy finally got through to someone who could initialized the card, and amazingly enough it actually worked.
Ryan0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #4013
murryamorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbundrick
I'm new to this, but I think I was given two multi-stream cards and apparently I only needed one because my TiVo calls it an "extra cablecard." We'll wait a couple of months to see how it's being charged and return it (if we can) if we're paying for it.
No need for the second card, you can just remove the M card from slot 2.
murryamorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #4014
dmedeiros

Comcast came this morning and installed a M-Card into my TivoHD. The whole process took about 15 minutes and most of that was the installer on the phone. All channels work as expected.

Tried to pick the card up at my local Comcast office, which was a no-go. When I called to schedule the appointment, it took a half hour and 3 reps before I got one who knew what a cablecard was but she told me they only had S-Cards. I told her to put a request for the M-Card on the work order anyways.

Area: North of Boston, MA
Old 10-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #4015
lateknight

So I am finally getting my new TV, which (of course) will require the purchase of a THD and upgrade to Comcast Digital Cable. I called yesterday to get a price quote, and I wanted to run past you guys what I was told to see if what they told me was in the right range. We currently have analog cable and internet through Comcast. I'll be keeping the Internet and moving to the Digital Basic Package with the HD channels. They quoted me a price of "around" $97 for Internet, Digital Basic and the HD charge. I confirmed that a single M-Card was included in the price. They tried to sell me on the Triple Play for $99/month which I assume doesn't include the HD charge. The wife and I currently just use our cell phones and don't have a home phone...any reason to add Digital Voice? Does the $97/month sound right to you guys? Can't wait to move up in the TV world! Thanks for the help!

Patrick

P.S. I'm in the Oakland, CA area...anyone in that area have good/bad/indifferent luck with installers?
lateknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:53 PM   #4016
sketchy12314

Does the FCC require two single streams?

Does the FCC mandate that cable providers provide two cable cards in the Series 3? Or can they get away with just one? If they do can someone link the source.

Thanks
sketchy12314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #4017
robojwfisch

My Comcast Experience

After 3 days, and mutiple friendly but untrained CSRs, I am finalllly up and running in SE Michigan. I have a Series 3 with 2 cablecards. It took me 8-10 tries before I finally found someone willing to activate each card seperately as described in the Tivo instructions. I was finally put in touch with someone from the dispatch (I think) department. They knew exactly what information was needed from the Tivo unit to activate the cards. The only wierd thing was this person tried activating the first card and it did not work. He tried a different approach on the second card and it worked. We then went back and applied the same approach to the first card. This forum really helped me make sure they followed the right approach. Thanks for the valuable info.
robojwfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #4018
Punji

Well chiming in. Comcast put a multistream card into my TiVO HD a few weeks ago. From time installer arrived to time the installer left leaving me with a fully functional TiVO HD was about 8 minutes. Longest portion of that was him reading off the long string of numbers.

Punji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #4019
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...But apparently you need to tell them that this is your TiVo unit you bought not a Comcast TiVo or a Comcast DVR.
Yes, very interesting. Now that they are using CCs in their units that could very well be an issue. You would think, though, that they wouldn't bother replacing their cards in the field, instead just swapping entire units. Maybe the CC is preconfigured somehow. I sure hope that that is the problem. Good luck!

Last edited by jlib : 10-23-2007 at 04:14 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:04 PM   #4020
titsataki

well I got my Tivo HD. I have an appointment for 10/25 8-11am the Comcast folks to install the cards. I talked to the CSR and he was clueless but it may have been me. I asked him to make sure they put a note to have cable cards when the tech comes in. Afew months ago i tried an S3 and it was a nightmare. They kept telling me that the merge of Comcast and Adelphia messed up the codes. so we shall see now. wish me luck.

Anyone had a smooth install in the Woodbridge/Bethany/Wallingford area of CT? If yes do you remember the name of the tech?

cheers

Nick
titsataki is offline   Reply With Quote