TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
bdraw

TTG and MRV go live today! (official)

TiVo announced that TTG and MRV go live today.

Here is TiVoPony's post which I copied from about 15 posts down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
Wow, you guys are quick!

Just rolling out of bed here. Yes, we were able to switch this on a bit early. Now you can share video between your Series3's, your TiVo HD's, and your Series2's. Any combination works, with the caveats that HD content cannot be transfered to a Series2, and content the broadcaster has marked as copy protected cannot be transfered at all (as has always been the case with this feature).

You'll find that there is now a little checkbox on www.tivo.com/mma next to your Series3/TiVo HD systems that allows you to turn on video sharing for those systems. Right now for most of you that is likely unchecked...log into Manage My Account at the link above and check the box. Give it a couple of hours, and then force connections on all of your DVR's (yes, they all have to connect to the service to receive new 'sharing certificates'...basically lists of DVR's they're allowed to share with).

In the future you won't have to bother with the checkboxes, we'll be switching the default for Series3/TiVo HD to 'Allow Sharing' automatically.

Enjoy! Even though it's in the 80's here in California this week, it still felt a lot like November.
Quote:
There are two 'types' of transfers - native and non-native. You won't see any reference in the UI to these terms, as it's rather techy, but so you know:

* Native transfers simply mean between like-generation platforms. Series2 to Series2. Series3 to Series3. Series3 to TiVo HD.

* Non-Native transfers refer to video shared across generations...Series2 to Series3 and vice versa.

Because the Series2 and Series3/TiVo HD platforms record in a slightly different MPEG format, some conversion is done during the transfer, making non-native transfers a bit slower.

Also, due to system resources, TiVo HD transfers are typically a bit slower at the moment. Speeding them up is something being investigated, but there is no additional information to share today.

There have been some reports of Series2 to Series2 transfers being slower than before, and we're investigating that as well. That is not intended or expected.

And yes, TiVoToComeBack (transferring video from your PC to your TiVo DVR) is supported, although HD content must have been originally recorded on a TiVo DVR to 'come back' as HD. HD content from other sources may be converted to SD and transferred to the DVR using TiVo Desktop Plus. Supporting HD transfers from the PC of non-TiVo content is being investigated.

Last edited by bdraw : 10-23-2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Removed link
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
cr33p

Damn you beat me to making the post

Well the manage my account page still shows "Transfers Not Allowed"
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
Chew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw

Make sure you have 9.2

Well, this is odd. I woke up to TTG and MRV on my Series 3 this morning, however, I still have 9.1?

Why do we need to "make sure"?
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Joybob

So they lied about it being a November release!!!

Curse you Tivo!!!
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #5
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew
Well, this is odd. I woke up to TTG and MRV on my Series 3 this morning, however, I still have 9.1?
you're lucky. I don't have TTG/MRV with my 9.1.
Motorola DCT-3416 Comcast HD DVR
chrishicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
sfhub

The foundation has been there even before 9.1. It was controlled by the account status flags that you download. 9.2 probably has all the latest bug fixes so it is advisable to have (thought it has its own issues as well)
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

My account shows transfers allowed for my two THDs with 9.2. Unfortunately, the THD I got yesterday is still at 8.1, and I haven't been able to force an update yet.

Also, the TiVo Transfer software inside Toast Titanium 8 (for Macintosh) is not listing any of the THDs. So that software may not have caught up yet.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #8
cwoody222

I got 9.2 last night and I was still listed as i,i,i on my Series3.

Whoa, spoke too soon... on TiVo.com my S3 is now showing "Transferred ALLOWED"

Now I just gotta get my new Intel iMac (next week) so I can install Windows. Because I refuse to pay for something on my Mac that Windows users get for free.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:53 AM   #9
sfhub

Both my S3s are now a,a,a. Transfers are enabled on my TiVo account. I can see the "Now Playing" list of the other S3. When I try to use MRV to play back a remote show I get an error.

"This program was not transferred onto this DVR because the program was recorded in an unknown format"

It says this for both SD digital and HD digital. None of the shows in question are CCI=non-zero. Both units are running 9.2.J1. Both units have been rebooted.

Last edited by sfhub : 10-23-2007 at 08:11 AM.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:54 AM   #10
cr33p

Well what the hell, I have 9.2 and still show Transfers not allowed
Old 10-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #11
oldnacl

Oooo I guess it's time for me to spring for the second TiVoHD. Mine went to 9.1xxx yesterday and I put it on the list for 9.2.

Or maybe I should add my unused S2 DT to the subscription and see how things work before buying another HD

Question: I don't want to spend extra for the CCs on the second TiVoHD and if I can't transfer a HD program from the one with the cards to the one just running OTA and/or basic cable, should I even buy another HD?
oldnacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #12
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

I just checked one of my S2s and it can see my S3(I only checked the one so far). of course I can't actually transfer anything from my S3 as everything on it is HD. they even have a nifty little red symbol that lets you know you can't transfer the programs.

wow, that little image is bigger than I thought.
Motorola DCT-3416 Comcast HD DVR
chrishicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #13
bdraw

TiVo PR told me 9.2 was required, but I haven't verified it personally.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:04 AM   #14
Chimpware

Actually had to go to Tivo site and check off box to Enable Transfers under Preferences.
Chimpware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #15
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnacl

Question: I don't want to spend extra for the CCs on the second TiVoHD and if I can't transfer a HD program from the one with the cards to the one just running OTA and/or basic cable, should I even buy another HD?
I'm sure you will be able to transfer HD programs between S3/HD boxes (assuming no copy restriction has been imposed on the program) but not from a S3/HD box to a S2 box.

Cablecards have nothing to do with it.
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:07 AM   #16
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpware
Actually had to go to Tivo site and check off box to Enable Transfers under Preferences.
Whoa missed that one, the excitement let it slips through my head. Now I need to know if PyTivo or Tivo.net will work
Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #17
ADG
Allan

Yes, both my "old" S3 with 9.2 (as of this AM) and my brand new S3 with 8.3 both now show "Transfers Allowed" on the "Manage My Account" page, though there have been no notices from TiVo that I've seen,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:11 AM   #18
tase2
Shy Guy

This is my first venture into the world of TTG. Is there a nice FAQ I could look at to get me started?

Also, if TTG is enabled, does that mean TTCB is also enabled?
tase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:12 AM   #19
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG
Yes, both my "old" S3 with 9.2 (as of this AM) and my brand new S3 with 8.3 both now show "Transfers Allowed" on the "Manage My Account" page, though there have been no notices from TiVo that I've seen,
We know with mismatched software that transfers should not work
Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 AM   #20
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by tase2
This is my first venture into the world of TTG. Is there a nice FAQ I could look at to get me started?

Also, if TTG is enabled, does that mean TTCB is also enabled?
Great question if TTCB is enabled, that is the most important thing to me, I just recently removed my second TV, I want to get movies of my server to my Tivo HD.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #21
Chimpware

Update: Although Tivo.com shows Transfers Allowed after I set it in my Preferences, my Tivo HD, after multiple forced connections still shows i,i,i... with 9.2

EDIT: Tivo HD now shows a,a,a, but no TTG or TTC, just denies access.

Last edited by Chimpware : 10-23-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #22
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpware
Update: Although Tivo.com shows Transfers Allowed after I set it in my Preferences, my Tivo HD, after multiple forced connections still shows i,i,i... with 9.2
I bet their servers are working to switch everyone over. We hope
Old 10-23-2007, 08:29 AM   #23
oldnacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK
I'm sure you will be able to transfer HD programs between S3/HD boxes (assuming no copy restriction has been imposed on the program) but not from a S3/HD box to a S2 box.

Cablecards have nothing to do with it.
That's what I wanted to hear. I guess I'll hold off until I see a post that someone has actually transferred a HD program and then I'll get my credit card out.

Thanks!
oldnacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:29 AM   #24
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Wow, you guys are quick!

Just rolling out of bed here. Yes, we were able to switch this on a bit early. Now you can share video between your Series3's, your TiVo HD's, and your Series2's. Any combination works, with the caveats that HD content cannot be transfered to a Series2, and content the broadcaster has marked as copy protected cannot be transfered at all (as has always been the case with this feature).

You'll find that there is now a little checkbox on www.tivo.com/mma next to your Series3/TiVo HD systems that allows you to turn on video sharing for those systems. Right now for most of you that is likely unchecked...log into Manage My Account at the link above and check the box. Give it a couple of hours, and then force connections on all of your DVR's (yes, they all have to connect to the service to receive new 'sharing certificates'...basically lists of DVR's they're allowed to share with).

In the future you won't have to bother with the checkboxes, we'll be switching the default for Series3/TiVo HD to 'Allow Sharing' automatically.

Enjoy! Even though it's in the 80's here in California this week, it still felt a lot like November.

Pony
Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 AM   #25
cr33p

Much thanks for the info Pony Glad you guys where able to get this rolling early. Thanks to our help of course j/k
Old 10-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #26
Chimpware

Quote:
Wow, you guys are quick!

Pony
Thanks much appreciated. No mention of TTG or TTC in your post, are these wokring as well?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #27
TiVoPony

Oh, to set some expectations (I've mentioned this before, but will do so again here):

There are two 'types' of transfers - native and non-native. You won't see any reference in the UI to these terms, as it's rather techy, but so you know:

* Native transfers simply mean between like-generation platforms. Series2 to Series2. Series3 to Series3. Series3 to TiVo HD.

* Non-Native transfers refer to video shared across generations...Series2 to Series3 and vice versa.

Because the Series2 and Series3/TiVo HD platforms record in a slightly different MPEG format, some conversion is done during the transfer, making non-native transfers a bit slower.

Also, due to system resources, TiVo HD transfers are typically a bit slower at the moment. Speeding them up is something being investigated, but there is no additional information to share today.

There have been some reports of Series2 to Series2 transfers being slower than before, and we're investigating that as well. That is not intended or expected.

And yes, TiVoToComeBack (transferring video from your PC to your TiVo DVR) is supported, although HD content must have been originally recorded on a TiVo DVR to 'come back' as HD. HD content from other sources may be converted to SD and transferred to the DVR using TiVo Desktop Plus. Supporting HD transfers from the PC of non-TiVo content is being investigated.

Pony
Old 10-23-2007, 08:41 AM   #28
cwbaker

Troubleshooting TTG on THD

Can someone help me troubleshoot this issue:

Tivo.com shows: Transfers Enabled
Tivo Software Version: 9.1.01-2-652
TiVoToGo: a,a,a
Tivo Desktop: 2.5.275381

I click on "Pick Recording to Transfer" in the Tivo Desktop and it responds with retrieving "1 of 38" and then after "11 of 38" I get the error message:

"There was an error while attempting to retrieve data from the selected DVR"

Network seems to be fine in contacting the Tivo service.
cwbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:43 AM   #29
TiVoPony

Oh yeah, support for MRV/TTG is built into 9.1.

Support for the new eSATA drive and progressive downloads requires 9.2.

Pony
Old 10-23-2007, 08:43 AM   #30
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw

Make sure you have 9.2

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/10/23...ta-drive-othe/
You know, if you're going to post a link just to drive traffic to a blog for which you work, the least you could do is disclose that.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote