TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2007, 11:36 PM   #571
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

I had Philips "repair" a HDR112 several years ago, they charged me $99 for a swap unit. It shipped from Waco, TX, and was a refurb. I don't know if they have any left these days.

Check your PM's

"easy as 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884179"
StanSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #572
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSimmons
I had Philips "repair" a HDR112 several years ago, they charged me $99 for a swap unit. It shipped from Waco, TX, and was a refurb. I don't know if they have any left these days.

Check your PM's
Thanks for the PM, I actually read it and replied to it before even seeing this post here in this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #573
timckelley
TCFer

Wow, I have some excellent news. When I called Saturday, they told me I needed to call the manufacturer, Phillips to attempt to get the TiVo fixed, but that since it sounds a lot like my motherboard is kaput, Phillips will most likely replace my TiVo with a new unit, and then TiVo, inc will transfer my lifetime onto it.

Then StanSimmons made the generous offer of gifting me one of his unsubbed Series ones, and I could see if they will transfer my lifetime onto it.

I called Phillips, but they won't let you even talk to anybody about your problem, unless you first pay them $19.

So I decided to call TiVo inc back, and I re-explained my situation. I remember them saying I should get the manufacturer to get me a working box, but I asked them if I got a box from a person (i.e. StanSimmons), instead, could I still transfer lifetime on it?
She put me on hold because she said she wanted to see if I'm even allowed to transfer lifetime. She came back and said they will indeed grant me a one-time special transfer of my lifetime, but here comes the astounding part:

She says it doesn't have to be series one! I can buy a series 2 or even a series 3, and she will transfer my lifetime onto it for free!
WOW!

I've come to sort of regret only getting a series 1, and my hindsight regret can now be erased! I made definitely sure to get a case number from her, so that when I call back to get my lifetime transferred, they will not forget the deal we made.

My first thought is that a series 2 will do all the extra things I've been wanting to do, but can't currently do. My next thought is that series 2 DT might be nice for those cases where there are conflicts. Those situations don't happen very often at all, but I suppose if I'm ever going to upgrade, now's the time to do it. My final thought is: I wonder if I should get a series 3? I currently subscribe to analog cable, but I'm told there's a bit of HD programming available even with my analog cable (namely the local networks plus KLRU). So if I get a series 3 (correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a series 3 the one that can record in HD quality?), then I will be underutilizing it's abilities, as the vast majority of my content is SD. Furthermore, I don't own an HD TV.

However, about a week or two ago, I started considering purchasing an HD TV because my upstairs TV has such shoddy picture quality. I could just buy a brand-new SD TV, but I feel like HD is the way of the future, and if I'm going to shell out for a new TV, maybe I should go ahead and plan for the future, and get an HD TV.

Also, I'm thinking that even though most of my content right now is SD (via analog cable from Time Warner), that doesn't mean it'll always be that way. If there's a chance I'll eventually get more HD content, I suppose it's possible that 3 or 5 years from now I might regret not having a series 3 TiVo. If I'm ever going to get a series 3, this is my one and only chance to load lifetime onto it for free. But aren't series 3 expensive? I see I need to give this some serious thought.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 10-23-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:50 PM   #574
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Tim, you'd be foolish to transfer that to anything other than a TiVoHD. Seriously -- you could turn around and resell it and still make out like a bandit. Or keep it and have the TiVoHD for many years without paying a monthly fee.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #575
timckelley
TCFer

The other thing is, she said I have to buy retail, and not straight from TiVo, because if I buy from TiVo, it'll already be subscribed. The only retail place I know to buy from is Best Buy, so I guess I should go shopping soon. (By soon, I mean today or tommorrow. )

BTW, this lifetime that I currently have on my broken S1 is something I only put there when I heard they were doing away with lifetime. Thanks to this forum, I was warned just in time before they abolished lifetime, and I subbed my S1 with only days to spare before it was too late. Now, because of that, I get to transfer it to a higher TiVo.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-22-2007, 03:11 PM   #576
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Don't open the box until the lifetime is transferred to the new TiVo, just in case you have trouble getting the next customer service rep to believe that you were offered this deal.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #577
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAllie
Don't open the box until the lifetime is transferred to the new TiVo, just in case you have trouble getting the next customer service rep to believe that you were offered this deal.
That sounds like good advice, but the only risk is that what if the TiVo is defective and I have to take it back to Best Buy? It'd be less complicated to do this if the lifetime wasn't yet transferred. Hopefully they accept returns in the first month even if the box is opened, but I guess I better confirm that first.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #578
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
That sounds like good advice, but the only risk is that what if the TiVo is defective and I have to take it back to Best Buy? It'd be less complicated to do this if the lifetime wasn't yet transferred. Hopefully they accept returns in the first month even if the box is opened, but I guess I better confirm that first.
Swapping lifetime service from a broken box to another box of the same type is not that hard to swing.

But it does not hurt to verify BestBuy's return policy in any case.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #579
timckelley
TCFer

This is going to be so nice that for the first time in my life, I'll be able to move shows between our two TiVos. I suppose I should consider the possible drawback down the road, should my wife ever have space problems again, that might think of my TiVo as an overflow storage area. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Also, the room I'm thinking of putting my new TiVo in has a cat 5 outlet in it, so I should be able to hardwire it to our network. Unfortunately the other TiVo (an S2 single tuner) is not near a cat5 outlet, so I'd have connect it wirelessly. (It's currently not connected to our network at all.) Fortunately my router supports both wired and wireless connections.)

(BTW, I'm open to negotiation with my wife on who gets which TiVo, but it make sense for mine to be the TiVo HD - which is the model I'm currently leaning towards - because if we get an HD TV, we can save money by letting the upstairs TV be the HD TV, the reason being that I only sit about 5-6 feet from it, which means it's makes sense to get a smaller size screen, which translates into a big $ savings.)

Going from series 1 to HD, two tuners, networking, HMO, etc. This is going to be a huge leap in technology.

Quote:
But it does not hurt to verify BestBuy's return policy in any case.
I'm now leaning towards Amazon, because of their lower prices (around $250 for the TiVo HD)

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 10-22-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:14 PM   #580
mamosley

I had to go the second tivo route my self. Even though the Mrs. has seen every episode of will and grace, reba, mash and not to mention the rachel ray, montel williams, opra, and ellen degeneras wish lislts the tivo was always full. The tivo was in the bedroom and we had the cable comapany dvr in the living room on the hdtv (couldnt justify the price of the s3 even to myself). Or course she wouldnt watch her shows until I was in bed trying to go to sleep. So once I found out the multi room viewing was coming to the s3 and the tivo hd, out with the cable dvr. Now she wanted to try to set all the same stuff to record in the living room stating she shouldnt have to watch her shows in the bedroom which is funny because she wouldnt touch the cable dvr because it wasnt a tivo. So I got a little mean and deleted all her series recordings and wish lists off the tv hd the put a parental password and even set rated g shows to require pin. Now she cant set her shows when I'm not at home. She tried to complain but I told her she'll just have to wait for mvr feature because I am not about to have to filter thru all her shows.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #581
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

One thing to keep in mind....

TiVoHD does not have MultiRoom Viewing yet.

I have been very happy with my S2 Dual Tuner.

"easy as 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884179"
StanSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:42 PM   #582
JaneiR36

Tim, I just wanted to say, this is such excellent news and I'm very happy for you and your wife!!!!!
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #583
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know about that - I should factor this into my decision.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #584
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:

I am fairly confident of TiVoPony's post that MRV will come to S3/TiVo HD in November.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:30 AM   #585
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know about that - I should factor this into my decision.
TiVoJerry also said that MRV will be enabled in November.

I have to agree with the redhead in that you should go ahead and get the TiVoHD or Series 3.

Even if you don't get an HDTV right away, the Series 3 or TiVoHD will hook up to a standard definition TV fine.
And dual tuners rock.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:14 AM   #586
janry

At least your wives will use TiVo. I'm stuck having 3 VCRs hooked up to accommodate my wife's refusal to give TiVo a try.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:23 AM   #587
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung
TiVoJerry also said that MRV will be enabled in November.

I have to agree with the redhead in that you should go ahead and get the TiVoHD or Series 3.

Even if you don't get an HDTV right away, the Series 3 or TiVoHD will hook up to a standard definition TV fine.
And dual tuners rock.
Yes, I agree with this reasoning, plus I can see myself having HD TV in the not far future, so I went ahead and ordered a TiVo HD last night from Amazon, for about $253, with no tax and no shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry
At least your wives will use TiVo. I'm stuck having 3 VCRs hooked up to accommodate my wife's refusal to give TiVo a try.
Wow. My wife is slow to technology, but she quickly embraced TiVo years ago when I first bought one.

My wife is suggesting the idea of putting the the TiVo HD downstairs in the family room instead of upstairs in the bedroom. My reason for the bedroom is that I sit only about 5-6 feet away from that TV, so if that's the room our eventual HD TV goes, I would probably be happy with a 26 or 27 inch TV. (27 inch is what we have there now.)

My wife's logic is that the downstairs gets more use (mainly because she and my son mainly watch that one, though my wife sometimes watches the bedroom one too. Also, guests would watch the downstairs TV. But to be honest, guests rarely watch our TV anyway, and my son mainly watches shows like the Wiggles, but I suppose that doesn't mean the Wiggles doesn't deserve to be in HD.

I pointed out to her that she sits across the room from that TV, so if that's where we put an HD TV, we'd need a much larger, and therefore, much more expensive TV. However, what's there now is a 27 incher, and she said she's happy with that size, even from that distance. But I'm thinking a 27 inch HD TV, might have less square inches than a 27 inch regular TV, because of the aspect ratio, plus if a lot of content that hits is is going to be SD content, doesn't it chop off the left and right sides, effectively making the 27 inches into a much smaller TV? I'm therefore thinking that just to keep what she's used to, we'd need more than 27 inches.

But I'm not close minded. If she is truly going to be satisfied with 27 inches downstairs, I'll consider it, and then I'll move her TV up to the bedroom, which btw, gives a much nicer picture than the one in the bedroom currently does. Plus her TV supports closed captioning, while mine doesn't, so that would be another improvement. I'm thinking we should visit a store, and look at some TVs and then sit an appropriate distance away from it, and then I'll ask her what she thinks of that size. Maybe then she'd really know how many inches she can live with or without, and then if she says yes, we need 40+ inches or something, then putting the HDTV in the bedroom might make more sense to her.

One other point to consider is that I'd be happy with an LCD (as opposed to plasma) HDTV in the bedroom, because I normally sit squarely in front of it. I'm told that plasmas are good from watching from any angle, whereas LCDs aren't (you need to be in front). But (I could be wrong) I think plasmas are more expensive, and I'm not sure everybody downstairs sits directly in front of that TV. So this could be another financial argument for upstairs instead of downstairs.

Oh, and my final point is that her S2 has a 250 GB drive in it. I don't think the TiVo HD has quite that big a drive, but admittedly, it's upgradable to potentially have a lot more than that.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 10-30-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #588
bryus

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry
Wow, that's just archaic. My wife and I were visiting my sister and I spent about an hour playing with her Hughes DirecTiVo box. I had been wanting TiVo since it first came out but never could justify the cost. The time I spent with it convinced my wife that this was a good thing and me that I could never watch TV the old fashioned way again.

Within a week I had made the calls to switch from Dish to DirecTV and I haven't been without TiVo since. My wife can't stand to watch live TV and I think we would give up a lot before we would give up our TiVo.

Tim,

I have a 27" TV in my living room. I have the same concern as you. How do I keep the same size image?

After eyeballing them in the store it looks like it would take a 37" to 42" 16:9 screen to provide the same height as a 27" 4:3 screen.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #589
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Here is a link with a straight forward look at HD size vs SD size.
http://www.highdefinitionblog.com/?page_id=92

and Cnet overview gets into specific viewing distances and size of various TV types etc..
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-2.html

PS -I am stuck on how 3 VCRs could be seen as preferable to one DVR and a now playing list but Mileage does vary as they say
Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #590
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Yes, I agree with this reasoning, plus I can see myself having HD TV in the not far future, so I went ahead and ordered a TiVo HD last night from Amazon, for about $253, with no tax and no shipping.
Well apparently, Jerry and Pony lied.
TTG and MRV for Series 3 and THD was turned on today.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=371193

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 10-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #591
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung
Well apparently, Jerry and Pony lied.
TTG and MRV for Series 3 and THD was turned on today.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=371193
Sweet!

Now I want to go home early and transfer shows just for the heck of it.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #592
ashu
User title defunct

Happy for ya, timckelley

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #593
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
I am fairly confident of TiVoPony's post that MRV will come to S3/TiVo HD in November.
well so much for being confident it would be November.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:49 PM   #594
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Sweet!

Now I want to go home early and transfer shows just for the heck of it.
Since I'm working from home for a couple of reasons today, I don't have to rush home to MRV....

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 10-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #595
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
well so much for being confident it would be November.
The problem is that they've now set up an expectation of beating deadlines in the future. Heh heh....
Old 10-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #596
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
The problem is that they've now set up an expectation of beating deadlines in the future. Heh heh....
Hmm, maybe TiVoPony knew it was before Halloween all along
Old 10-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #597
RoyK

Quote:
Anyone can beat a deadline if you don't mind leaving a lot of wreckage behind.
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #598
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK
So this new release is going to be bug-filled? I hope not.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #599
RoyK

Quote:
So this new release is going to be bug-filled? I hope not.
I can't speak for 9.2 - we S2 owners are the ones stuck with the wreckage. Don't tell me - I know the "hang in there - TiVo will fix it soon" motto by heart.
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #600
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK
Glad my 5 S2 TiVo DVRs sailed into 9.1 with smooth waters and full sails