TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2007, 08:14 AM   #1621
azitnay

The RS-TX20 doesn't have a bracket that can accommodate two drives... People have come up with custom solutions to mount two drives in units that only accommodate one (some prettier than others), but I don't believe WeaKnees or anyone else sells a custom bracket for the TiVo HD.

Do you really need more than 1TB in the TiVo HD?

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:16 AM   #1622
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
The RS-TX20 doesn't have a bracket that can accommodate two drives... People have come up with custom solutions to mount two drives in units that only accommodate one (some prettier than others), but I don't believe WeaKnees or anyone else sells a custom bracket for the TiVo HD.

Do you really need more than 1TB in the TiVo HD?

Drew
Hmm, ok someone else had suggested that I could use a bracket from one of those units, how is a DVD drive and the hard drive mounted? Yeah it would be nice to have more then 1TB the more the merrier. I also dont like setting a 160 off the the side to collect dust forever. Kinda just a project at this point as well. THanks for the info
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:22 AM   #1623
azitnay

I haven't actually seen the internals of an RS-TX20 in quite a few years... I know that there isn't space for a second hard drive per se, but I didn't think about the fact that you wouldn't need the DVD drive mounted any more, so you could potentially use a 5.25" to 3.5" bay converter to mount a second hard drive in there.

I've never seen the internals of a TiVo HD, so I have no idea at all if things would fit like that. It'd be a pretty sweet solution if it did.

Drew
Old 10-22-2007, 08:53 AM   #1624
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
I haven't actually seen the internals of an RS-TX20 in quite a few years... I know that there isn't space for a second hard drive per se, but I didn't think about the fact that you wouldn't need the DVD drive mounted any more, so you could potentially use a 5.25" to 3.5" bay converter to mount a second hard drive in there.

I've never seen the internals of a TiVo HD, so I have no idea at all if things would fit like that. It'd be a pretty sweet solution if it did.

Drew
Yeah another member on my thread suggested usings its bracket, but I dont know where he got his intel from, but yeah that would be a sweet solution, except it could get pricy to aquire a bracket. BUT maybe I could use one to design from.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:51 AM   #1625
windracer
joined the 10k club

Here's the inside of my TX20 ... I've never seen the inside of a THD so I don't know if that mounting bracket will work or not.

I do know the HD bracket is separate from the piece the DVD drive is mounted to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #1626
cr33p

From first glance it appears to be a one piece and if not it is atleast mounting to the same area as the hdd cage is, what would worry me is the size of the bracket, looking at your photo, the hard drive may impact the CPU heatsink on the newer HD model.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #1627
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I'll try it this week and see if it fits.

They are definitely two separate brackets. The DVD bracket share two mounting holes with the HD bracket. The other side screws into the base of the unit, and those screw holes are present in the THD. I didn't think about the heatsink on the THD board - I'll have to see - but the DVD bracket does sit pretty high up.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:52 AM   #1628
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady
I'll try it this week and see if it fits.

They are definitely two separate brackets. The DVD bracket share two mounting holes with the HD bracket. The other side screws into the base of the unit, and those screw holes are present in the THD. I didn't think about the heatsink on the THD board - I'll have to see - but the DVD bracket does sit pretty high up.
As long as the bracket itself can physically be mounted into the unit I bet that the hard drive could even be mounted in the different direction, that way it isnt pushing so far towards the CPU heatsink, and a DVD drive is longer than a hdd anyways. Thanks man keep me posted
Old 10-22-2007, 06:13 PM   #1629
Arcady
Stargate Fan

The DVD bracket from the TS-RX20 does not fit, because the heatsink and power connector on the THD board are too tall. The screwholes line up, but with that heatsink there, you'd have to cut up the bracket to make it fit.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:56 PM   #1630
nyphotoguy

use with wireless

Anyone know if you can use a wireless adapter on this model???? I called TIVO and they say you have to use the phone line. Would like to use it wireless, also need to know which adapter to buy?

Appreciate any advice
nyphotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:52 PM   #1631
susandennis

My Toshiba TS-RX20 connects via my D-Link DWL-122 802.11b 11 Mbps USB Adapter.
susandennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:58 PM   #1632
fredct

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyphotoguy
Anyone know if you can use a wireless adapter on this model???? I called TIVO and they say you have to use the phone line. Would like to use it wireless, also need to know which adapter to buy?

Appreciate any advice

Wow, he's totally wrong. I've using it with a Netgear, and there should be no reason that it can't work with the TiVo branded adapter either. The software is the same. And the page says it works with a "series 2", not a "TiVo-branded series 2" or "excluding DVD models" or anything.
fredct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:39 AM   #1633
windracer
joined the 10k club

I'm using the TiVo wireless G adapter on mine, no problems. That support rep really didn't know what he was talking about.

|
Old 10-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #1634
Skuits

Just to jump in on this one, I am using a Linksys adapter and have no problems. You do have to go into messages and settings and choose to use an internet connection. I also had to fuss with the password as it seemed to be different than the way my laptops connected. That is I had to choose hexadecimal when entering the password. I didn't remember that being the case for my laptops.?

Basically any cheapo wireless adapter should work. They've gotten really cheap on eBay!

Mark
Skuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #1635
azitnay

Any cheapo wireless adapter will definitely not work... While virtually all these adapters have drivers for Windows, that doesn't really mean anything in terms of TiVo (which runs Linux) support.

TiVo has a full list of supported adapters here:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/Laun...chor=undefined

As you can see from the list, it's gotten very complicated, with some versions of many adapter models working and other versions not. The surefire way to get things working is to pick up the TiVo adapter windracer mentioned, although that's probably not the cheapest option.

Drew
Old 10-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #1636
Skuits

Really!!!

Then I must have lucked out with the Linksys adapter, I plugged it in and was off. My Pioneer needed no coaxing at all, it detected it straight away and offered to start using that method. It seems like out of the four Linksys adapters mentioned on the list only two of them are compatible with both models, talk about luck, I just had the thing lyin' around.

The adapter I am using is a Linksys WUSB11 ver. 2.8 looks like they can be gotten for about 30 bucks brand new on good ol' eBay.

Good luck!

Mark
Skuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #1637
Mikeguy

Had been having some DVD copying issues with my Toshiba RS-TX20: sometimes it would work for a few records, and then fritz in the last few minutes of a 1-time recordable disk or seemingly freeze when recording a re-recordable disk (just staying at 31 or 32 minutes of recording to go). Frustrating, as the discs have been the same that have worked previously and sometimes this would occur in the space of minutes, between the 1st and 2nd discs of a recording.

And then, after not touching the TIVO for months, it would be fine again, for awhile.

Couldn't figure out the pattern here, but then thought that I probably had had to restart the machine from a cold start (i.e. plug disconnected) during that months period. And so after the problem recurred again today, I tried putting the TIVO into stand-by mode and then back on again--no change. I next disconnected the TIVO from power completely for a few minutes and then booted up--and the DVR is recording again. (I hate saying that out loud, for fear of jinxing the recording I'm doing now.)

At any rate, perhaps this will help others in a similarly frustrated situation.

Last edited by Mikeguy : 11-11-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #1638
Pvgibbs

Has anyone canceled Tivo service and gone back to Tivo Basic* service lately? Is it still supported?

*Tivo basic service that came with the RS-TX units free right out of the box

Now if they would only make a blu-ray PLAYER-TivoHD combo
Pvgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #1639
azitnay

Yeah, I actually just dropped our RS-TX20 back to TiVo Basic (really only using it as a DVD player nowadays)... It's working fine. I'm sure TiVo Basic will always work.

The only annoyance I'm seeing is that since I still have it connected to my network, it still shows up on remote Now Playing Lists (the list is blank, since MRV is a Plus feature)... I can't help but wonder if I could have avoided that by unchecking the "Enable Transfers" box in MMA before unsubscribing it (and I'm tempted to subscribe it temporarily just to try that). I tried calling TiVo support about it, but they didn't seem too interested in helping out with an unsubscribed unit (and I don't blame them).

Drew
Old 11-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #1640
windracer
joined the 10k club

I did the same thing as Drew. Once I got my THD, I dropped the TX20 back to TiVo Basic without any problems (except all of the SPs on it stopped working, but I expected that).

|
Old 11-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #1641
azitnay

Are you seeing the same behavior as me, where it still shows up in remote NPL's?

Drew
Old 11-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #1642
windracer
joined the 10k club

No, because I only have three TiVo adapters so the TX20 is now using the phone line.

|
Old 11-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #1643
azitnay

Ahh, gotcha... I considered doing that, but we have the most limited landline plan possible, where all non-toll-free calls cost money, and I wasn't willing to pay to get rid of this minor annoyance (plus, I like having the RS-TX20 on the network for monitoring purposes).

BTW, it's scary how closely our Tivo purchases have mirrored one another over the years... I remember when you had a 140, 230, and RS-TX20, and I had a 230, 240, and RS-TX20. Now, you have a 230, S3, and THD, and I have a 240, S3, and THD .

Drew
Old 11-19-2007, 07:28 AM   #1644
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay View Post
BTW, it's scary how closely our Tivo purchases have mirrored one another over the years... I remember when you had a 140, 230, and RS-TX20, and I had a 230, 240, and RS-TX20. Now, you have a 230, S3, and THD, and I have a 240, S3, and THD
Man, that is scary ... but great minds, right?

|
Old 11-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #1645
rombo

- Can someone please advise me how I get my BellExpressVu channels back on the RS-TX20 guide?
- I screwed this up somehow, and when I go through setup for TiVO Basic & enter my postal code, pick BEV from the list of satellite providers, it connects to TiVO, downloads, then disconnects when finished, buy it won't populate my channel list with the right channels.
- It keeps saying that I've got an error and that I should pick from the "default list below" >> but there is no default list below >> and I get stuck in this endless Catch-22 loop!!!
- I'm trying this over a wireless adapter which worked fine previously, but I seem to recall that for the first setup I need to connect via landline first?? Could that be the problem?
- Any sage advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rombo in Great White North
rombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:29 PM   #1646
Chester_Lampwick

Rombo,
You shouldn't need a phone line. When the unit was new it shipped with TiVo O/S 5.x so the drivers for your network card probably needed the 7.x O/S update. The 7.x and later O/S versions were also needed for Canadian listing support.

Neither of these should cause an issue for you now. Hopefully you won't have to re-image your hard-drive to fix this. I'd try a U.S. postal code, 00000 and choose antenna. It should allow you to pick TinyTiVo, and this will allow for a faster load. Then retry for expressVu....
Old 11-23-2007, 09:54 AM   #1647
rombo

Chester . . .

- First, I tried your suggestion of "zip 00000" and "antenna". That got me a list of about 15 channels, which all seemed to be in Western US somewhere?
- I then switched back to "postal code" and "satellite only" with BEV. Again it gave me "Channel lineup not available" or some such.
- After going through this loop again 3 times, I tried choosing "yes" when asked if I received "local network channels", instead of "no".
- That finally seemed to do the trick. It downloaded the bare basic BEV channels, then I simply added/checked off all the specialty channels from the BEV channel lineup list. The only channels missing from my guide now are the NCAA sports package channels (480-490 I think?).
- I Tivo'd something at 2 AM last night and it worked fine + all my previous programs were still on the hard drive :-)
- Thanks for the advice!!
rombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #1648
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rombo View Post
The only channels missing from my guide now are the NCAA sports package channels (480-490 I think?)
You should be able to add these channels after the initial setup....
Old 11-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #1649
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
Had been having some DVD copying issues with my Toshiba RS-TX20: sometimes it would work for a few records, and then fritz in the last few minutes of a 1-time recordable disk or seemingly freeze when recording a re-recordable disk (just staying at 31 or 32 minutes of recording to go). Frustrating, as the discs have been the same that have worked previously and sometimes this would occur in the space of minutes, between the 1st and 2nd discs of a recording.

And then, after not touching the TIVO for months, it would be fine again, for awhile.

Couldn't figure out the pattern here, but then thought that I probably had had to restart the machine from a cold start (i.e. plug disconnected) during that months period. And so after the problem recurred again today, I tried putting the TIVO into stand-by mode and then back on again--no change. I next disconnected the TIVO from power completely for a few minutes and then booted up--and the DVR is recording again. (I hate saying that out loud, for fear of jinxing the recording I'm doing now.)

At any rate, perhaps this will help others in a similarly frustrated situation.

I recently found myself in the same situation, but in a different capacity.On Wednesday, I had programmed my TX-20 to record shows over the weekend and after when I went back to the "Now Playing" list certain shows that had folders were missing titles and now said "unknown title" and then when I clicked on the folder all of a sudden the TiVo froze and went into "powering up" mode and it's been like that ever since.

I unplugged it and let it sit and plugged it back in yesterday and today it's still "powering up" with both the DVD & HDD lights in yellow. Is that a normal
functioning of rebooting and how long does it normally take to power back up?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
tunabeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #1650
regularguy

Broken RS-TX20

My 3-year-old RS-TX20 got very sick last night and now seems to be on life-support. At first the picture was doing an "ok for 10 seconds, then frozen for 5 seconds, then ok for 10 seconds" thing. Now it's cycling through "re-start and boot-up" continually, with the boot-up cartoon doing the the freeze-up routine.

I found an authorized Toshiba repair place in my area, but since it's long out of warranty I'll be paying for the repair. If not for the lifetime Tivo contract on the unit, I'd probably just toss it and get a new Series 2 ($80-some at Amazon).

Anyone been in my situation? How did it turn out? (I'm guessing I have a screwed up hard-drive.)
regularguy is offline   Reply With Quote