TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #61
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by minckster
You don't have to post every rude, dismissive thought that pops into your head. Someone making a helpful suggestion hardly deserves that type of response. What I do deserve now is an apology.
I was making fun of my elected representative not you.
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #62
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob
1. I already took the cable card from their DVR and stuck it in the Tivo and it works...
I had one CableCard working on my S3, but without the HD Channels...

I took my SA8300HD CableBox and exhanged it for an SA8300HDC, which has one M-Card. I took it out just like Joybob and put it on my S3's empty slot and IT WORKED! HD channels and all!

Since I've read you should have the M-Card on the 1st slot I switched them and they still worked. Any idea when M-Cards will be fully supported on the S3?

Apparently my cable company does not pair the CableCards to the Host ID or something, all I know is that it works.

I ran the Guided Setup again and I got by second tuner working, BUT I still can't het the HD channels working using my original S-Card, which is kind of confusing, since apparently I can't tell the TiVo I have different channels on each CableCard and I can only "figure out" which CableCard I'm using by switching channels and noting if the HD channels work or not... the TiVo does not know the difference and will gladly record a black image for the length of the recording. Is there a workaround for this?

I guess I'm happy for now, but I'm still paying for equipment I'm not using (the SA8300HDC)...

On the bright side, when I went to exchanged my CableBox I asked the Tech Support guy about getting the HD channels using the S-Card and he said the company has already ordered the "New CableCards", which would enable the HD Channels and are supposed to be two-way (for pay-per-view, etc). He even went ahead and wrote my email address on the system so I would get an email when the new cards arrive... Let's see what happens.

Thanks Joybob!

Last edited by crabell : 10-15-2007 at 03:20 PM.
crabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #63
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabell
I had one CableCard working on my S3, but without the HD Channels...

I took my SA8300HD CableBox and exhanged it for an SA8300HDC, which has one M-Card. I took it out just like Joybob and put it on my S3's empty slot and IT WORKED! HD channels and all!

Since I've read you should have the M-Card on the 1st slot I switched them and they still worked. Any idea when M-Cards will be fully supported on the S3?

Apparently my cable company does not pair the CableCards to the Host ID or something, all I know is that it works.

I ran the Guided Setup again and I got by second tuner working, BUT I still can't het the HD channels working using my original S-Card, which is kind of confusing, since apparently I can't tell the TiVo I have different channels on each CableCard and I can only "figure out" which CableCard I'm using by switching channels and noting if the HD channels work or not... the TiVo does not know the difference and will gladly record a black image for the length of the recording. Is there a workaround for this?

I guess I'm happy for now, but I'm still paying for equipment I'm not using (the SA8300HDC)...

On the bright side, when I went to exchanged my CableBox I asked the Tech Support guy about getting the HD channels using the S-Card and he said the company has already ordered the "New CableCards", which would enable the HD Channels and are supposed to be two-way (for pay-per-view, etc). He even went ahead and wrote my email address on the system so I would get an email when the new cards arrive... Let's see what happens.

Thanks Joybob!
So why didn't they just tell me that they had ordered the new M-cards instead of making me write a bunch of letters?

p.s. Did they say how much they would charge per card and whether they'll allow multiple cards?

Last edited by Joybob : 10-15-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:45 AM   #64
crabell

Quote:
So why didn't they just tell me that they had ordered the new M-cards instead of making me write a bunch of letters?

p.s. Did they say how much they would charge per card and whether they'll allow multiple cards?
I think they guy was volunteering "un-official" information. I was very surprised when he said he would send me an email when the "new cards" arrive. However, he did mention that some testing was required before they would be available to clients. I told him I would be available for any testing, of course.

During my dealings with OneLink I've encountered some very nice people that do want to help but "the system won't allow them" and some that think they know it all and simply don't help. I've even called twice the same day, asking the same question and I would get different answers.

I did not ask the guy about multible CableCards on the same account, I guess I should have done that.

Although the "un-official" information I got is encouraging, I'm not holding my breath about getting our CableCard issues resolved. I guess the best thing we can do is issue official complaints and wait patiently.

Good Luck to all of us!
Old 10-16-2007, 07:24 AM   #65
JimPa
S3 owner/user

Quote:

...snip...
Because they're stupid.

Actually, they're probably just giving out information that someone higher on the food chain gave them.

Around here, the cable companies won't tell you what new HD channels they're actually going to put up. By contrast, DirectTV will tell you that they're putting up channels that don't show up for literally years. Not so sure which is better.
JimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #66
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPa
Because they're stupid.

Actually, they're probably just giving out information that someone higher on the food chain gave them.

Around here, the cable companies won't tell you what new HD channels they're actually going to put up. By contrast, DirectTV will tell you that they're putting up channels that don't show up for literally years. Not so sure which is better.
While we're at it. Is the claim by DirectTV that satellite can handle more HD content true?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #67
nightrider

OneLink

I ran into this thread by accident but am intrigued. I thought Tivos didn't work in Puerto Rico, but now I see Joybob and Crabell apparently getting them to work with OneLink??? The Tivo site says "The TiVo service is currently not supported in Puerto Rico or other U.S. territories." I have a Tivo on the mainland but have always told a friend in Puerto Rico they couldn't get one yet. What's the deal?
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #68
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider
I ran into this thread by accident but am intrigued. I thought Tivos didn't work in Puerto Rico, but now I see Joybob and Crabell apparently getting them to work with OneLink??? The Tivo site says "The TiVo service is currently not supported in Puerto Rico or other U.S. territories." I have a Tivo on the mainland but have always told a friend in Puerto Rico they couldn't get one yet. What's the deal?
Unfortunately TiVo's web site is a collection of random pages tied together by an index; when something changes, often a new page is created but the old page with the now-incorrect info doesn't always get removed or redirected to the new page. And links to old outdated pages may remain, especially in lesser-visited parts of the site.

There's not even info about the revision date of the info on any given page so when you do happen upon conflicting info you might be able to glean which is likely correct and which isn't.

http://customersupport.tivo.com/TiVo...s_Content.html

At this time, the TiVo service is only available in the 50 United States of America, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Mexico City (via the TiVo partnership with CABLEVISION of Mexico City). The TiVo service is currently not supported in U.S. territories other than Puerto Rico.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #69
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider
Step by step process.

1. Find a website willing to ship a Tivo to Puerto Rico. Circuit City worked for me.
2. When it arrives, call directly to Tivo Tech Support to activate it. You can't make a Tivo account from Puerto Rico via Internet.
3. Guided setup will give you the correct channel line-up for Onelink and guide data. The Tivo is smart enough to turn off daylights saving time too.
4. Get a DVR from Onelink, take the CableCard out and stick it in the Tivo. You will get all your channels. (We're working to get this changed).
5. You'll get an email from Tivo with your account stuff on it. You can do all the fun account settings stuff from the website but Amazon Unbox doesn't work down here.

In summary it really isn't that complicated. Plus you get major street cred for having a Tivo.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 AM   #70
crabell

Joybob gave an excelent step-by-step on how to get TiVo's working in Puerto Rico.

They are now selling Series 2 Single and Double tuner units in CompUSA and Radio Shack locally, but the pricing is the same as 2 years ago, so its not a great deal. I would advise, as Joybob outlined. to order the unit on-line. I have 3 units and I got all of them from different places (JR, CircuitCity and TivoCommunity Store).

It's been almost 2 years, but I think I did manage to setup my first TiVo on-line. It is important to note that the 1-877 number for TiVo support does not work from Puerto Rico (at least for me), in order to contact customer support you need to call any other non-877 number and ask for Customer Support.

I don't know how many TiVo units are operating in Puerto Rico. I only know of Joybob, PSuarez, my sister and myself. It would be interesting to get this information somehow and perhaps organize a local "TiVo Fans Chanpter" or something... Any ideas on how to go about that?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #71
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabell
Joybob gave an excelent step-by-step on how to get TiVo's working in Puerto Rico.

They are now selling Series 2 Single and Double tuner units in CompUSA and Radio Shack locally, but the pricing is the same as 2 years ago, so its not a great deal. I would advise, as Joybob outlined. to order the unit on-line. I have 3 units and I got all of them from different places (JR, CircuitCity and TivoCommunity Store).

It's been almost 2 years, but I think I did manage to setup my first TiVo on-line. It is important to note that the 1-877 number for TiVo support does not work from Puerto Rico (at least for me), in order to contact customer support you need to call any other non-877 number and ask for Customer Support.

I don't know how many TiVo units are operating in Puerto Rico. I only know of Joybob, PSuarez, my sister and myself. It would be interesting to get this information somehow and perhaps organize a local "TiVo Fans Chanpter" or something... Any ideas on how to go about that?
1. You can't activate a Tivo account online; it has to be by phone. Afterwards you can do everything else fine.

2. According to the Tech Support guy who talked me into buying my S3 there are tons of people with Tivo's in Puerto Rico (more than in most states actually).
Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #72
crabell

Quote:
1. You can't activate a Tivo account online; it has to be by phone. Afterwards you can do everything else fine.
Ok, my bad, its been a while. The point is that it is not complicated.

Quote:
2. According to the Tech Support guy who talked me into buying my S3 there are tons of people with Tivo's in Puerto Rico (more than in most states actually).
I guess its one of those "Best Kept Secrets", since I've never met anyone with a TiVo in Puerto Rico, other than on this forum.

Anyhow, it would be interesting to know how many people we are talking about. Personally I just can't imagine "Watching TV" without a TiVo, and once you get used to the Double Tuners that is no turning back.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:57 PM   #73
Joybob

I decided to ruin my saturday by giving a visit to Onelink today. The following story is 100% real.

I told the woman at the counter that a friend had told me they had ordered new Cablecards which would permit me to view HD channels and asked if that was true. She told me that the new cards wouldn't work on TV's with cablecards and would only fit into their DVR's. I inquired what the name of the new cards was. She said they were multi-stream cards. I responded that those work on CC devices. She said she was not aware of that and did not know if they would permit viewing of HD channels. She also could not tell me the difference between the old and new cards. She also said there were no plans of lifting the one card per household limit.

I asked if I could speak to someone more knowledgeable and she took offense so I left quickly.

If this is correct then that means that the information given to Crabell is incorrect. I will do some networking to see if I can find someone who works in management or in an executive position within the company to get some straight answers. Outside of that they have yet to respond to the letter I sent them three weeks ago.

So, basically today was not a good day.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #74
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon
Well, it wouldn't work because it won't be paired with your S3. If they'd do the pairing (which apparently they won't willingly), then you'd probably be correct.
Swapping the card from the other DVR into the TiVo works precisely because they don't do or require any pairing. Most other cable companies do require pairing, though.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:15 AM   #75
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
Swapping the card from the other DVR into the TiVo works precisely because they don't do or require any pairing. Most other cable companies do require pairing, though.
Can we deduce anything about what kind of hardware the Cable Co. is running based on that fact?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #76
prpilot

Hi Joy,

Thanks for the info. Please keep us posted. I went to Costco in Bayamon and saw the new HD Tivo's -- they are amazing. Of course, I can't upgrade until Onelink delivers HD channels with Cable Cards.

Quote:
I decided to ruin my saturday by giving a visit to Onelink today. The following story is 100% real.

I told the woman at the counter that a friend had told me they had ordered new Cablecards which would permit me to view HD channels and asked if that was true. She told me that the new cards wouldn't work on TV's with cablecards and would only fit into their DVR's. I inquired what the name of the new cards was. She said they were multi-stream cards. I responded that those work on CC devices. She said she was not aware of that and did not know if they would permit viewing of HD channels. She also could not tell me the difference between the old and new cards. She also said there were no plans of lifting the one card per household limit.

prpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:06 AM   #77
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by prpilot
Hi Joy,

Thanks for the info. Please keep us posted. I went to Costco in Bayamon and saw the new HD Tivo's -- they are amazing. Of course, I can't upgrade until Onelink delivers HD channels with Cable Cards.
If Crabell is right then using the new M-Cards should let you watch two channels HD on a Tivo HD but leaves S3 users high and dry. If the guy I talked to is right then you still won't get to watch HD channels.

My question is why Costco is selling them when no cable co. on the island sells Cablecards at all. Liberty Cablevision has a Waiver from the FCC. Who is buying these units?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:12 AM   #78
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

If a person is considering moving up to a Tivo, it would be wise to contact their cable provider in advance...

Still today in 2007 these cable companies refuse to assist the customer with anything Tivo related
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:01 AM   #79
Joybob

Quick Update.

A Onelink representative finally acknowledged my letter, (not sure about anyone elses) and said that he will call back this week to see what they can do about reversing the one CableCard per household rule and allowing High Def channels for CableCard users.

I haven't heard back from him but it might be good news.

p.s. I got 2 new High Def channels which are kind of bad but are okay.
p.p.s. Channel 601 is incorrectly identified as NBCHD when it is in fact Universal HD; but that one isn't even on the lineup officially.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #80
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob View Post
A Onelink representative finally acknowledged my letter, (not sure about anyone elses) and said that he will call back this week to see what they can do about reversing the one CableCard per household rule and allowing High Def channels for CableCard users.
Wow! Did you get a letter or a telephone call? (just curious)

Quote:
I haven't heard back from him but it might be good news.
Sounds good, let us know if they actually do something about it.

Quote:
p.p.s. Channel 601 is incorrectly identified as NBCHD when it is in fact Universal HD; but that one isn't even on the lineup officially.
I noticed that lineup problem too, so I reported it on Tivo's support page (http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Lau...8-93acd1aa43de). It's a crappy channel, but you never know when you are in the mood for some oldies.

I'll keep you posted if they actually fix it.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:36 AM   #81
crabell

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabell View Post
I'll keep you posted if they actually fix it.
I just got a message this morning on my TiVos and they have corrected the Lineup error!

Channel 601 is now Universal HD.

I'm wondering if they corrected my lineup only or the lineup for everybody using Onelink as a cable provider...

Good work TiVo People!
Old 12-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #82
deleonju

Hi, I'm new here...

Quote:
what did you tell them in order to get the box exchanged? did you have to tell them it was defective or simply that you wanted the new one? Is there a specific person that you talked to? are all the new boxes deployed the SA8300HDC?

I just got off the phone with a representative that refused to send me the cable card and started quoting from a piece of paper about how the tivo sits between the cable card and the tv and that THEIR cable card only supported TV's and not the accesories to the TV. I asked her if they were going to get new calbe cards that were compatible and she said NO. when I asked why she said that the company was not going to invest in new technology for the cable cards and the only reason they carry them is because they are required by law to have them. I spent a good 1/2 hour talking with her and in the end she refused to schedule an appointment for a cable card for a Tivo because according to her, they have to program the card before it is installed and once installed they cannot communicate with the card. which is totally bogus. I was just about to start blowing smoke out of my ears.. I then found this thread.. I'm gonna go exchange my box tomorrow if that's all it takes.

thanks,

JC

Last edited by deleonju : 12-13-2007 at 06:13 AM.
deleonju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:15 AM   #83
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleonju View Post
what did you tell them in order to get the box exchanged? did you have to tell them it was defective or simply that you wanted the new one? Is there a specific person that you talked to? are all the new boxes deployed the SA8300HDC?
I went to OneLink's office with my SA8300HD and asked the Representative (no name, sorry) if I could exchange the box, because it would turn itself off without warning and because some recorded shows came out "black". All of this is true, so it made it easier for me, though I would have told a "white lie". Just so you know, this box normally turns itself off everyday about 2:25am (I'm not sure, it's in the manual), just tell them that is not the case, that this happens at primetime hours.

I'm sure they won't have a problem exchanging the box, however I can't guarantee that they will give you an SA8300HDC. I'm pretty confident they will since they want us to believe they are complying with the FCC. I'm so confident that I plan to buy a TiVoHD for christmas, so I would go for it (I did it and will do it again).

Regarding your attempt at getting a "legitimate" CableCard through customer service, I don't think any of us will get lucky that way. They have been trained to say that they don't have them and that they don't work, specially if you mention a TiVo, even supervisors, so its a waste of time. The only possibility I see of getting a "legitimate" CableCard is doing as Joybob suggests: writting a certified complaint letter to OneLink (2 letters to 2 specific individuals) and after 30 days of not getting a response to take it up with the Junta Reglamentadora de Telecomunicaciones.

I hope this helps
(2) TiVo Mini's with Lifetime

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 12-13-2007, 10:05 AM   #84
Joybob

I have POTENTIALLY good news.

I just received notification from Onelink asking to setup a visit by a technician on wednesday to install 2 CableCards in my TiVo which will allegedly allow access to HD channels.

I asked if they will allow others to get 2 CableCards in their TiVo's and they said that they would.

I will post on or after Wednesday to confirm whether or not the cablecards function and I will try to post contact information for other people who want to get multiple cablecards installed. It might take some time for the orders to trickle down to the service people at their offices.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #85
crabell

Quote:

I just received notification from Onelink asking to setup a visit by a technician on wednesday to install 2 CableCards in my TiVo which will allegedly allow access to HD channels.
That sounds great!!!

Please keep us updated with your results and/or progress... Specially if there is someone in particular we would need to talk to.

One thing I'm sure we are all curious about is the Pricing. Right now I'm paying about $9 for one S-Card without HD Channels, which is about $1 more than a regular CableBox. But what about the second or third CableCard?

Thanks for all your help Joybob!

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 12-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #86
deleonju

Thanks for the info. I went this morning to onelink and asked for a new box. I told the rep that the HDMI port was flaky and vod did not work. I mentioned that someone told me that there was a new box that had better HDMI support and he acknowledged that he had a new box that had a 'multistream' card (I feigned ignorance). I said that that was the box that I wanted. He agreed and took my box and left to get the new one. After 10 minutes he came back with another box, but still the SA8300HD. I told him that I wanted the new one, but he said they ran out. :-( Oh well. I took my new/old box and left. Right before I left I asked about the multistream cards that he mentioned and he said that they were working on it. I asked him if it was true that the S cards did not provide HD channels he said that unless you had two S cards that there would be no HD. Then he said that the system only supports one S Card per household.. Then he re-stated that they were working on bringing the multistream cards, but that it was still far off..

Last edited by deleonju : 12-13-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #87
deleonju

Quote:

I asked if they will allow others to get 2 CableCards in their TiVo's and they said that they would.

I will post on or after Wednesday to confirm whether or not the cablecards function and I will try to post contact information for other people who want to get multiple cablecards installed. It might take some time for the orders to trickle down to the service people at their offices.
Wow, Excellent. It just goes to show the lack of communication between different branches of the same company. I was told this morning that 2 S-Cards was not possible because the system did not support it and now you're gonna get 2 cards installed. Hopefully by January we'll all be able to get our Tivo's working with HD! :-)
Old 12-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #88
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleonju View Post
...After 10 minutes he came back with another box, but still the SA8300HD. I told him that I wanted the new one, but he said they ran out. :-(...
Sorry you couldn't get your CableCard enabled box... It if makes any difference I went to the office they have in Levittown, not the main office, though perhaps they just service the clients in their area (Cataņo and Levittown), I'm not sure since I DO live in the area.

If I were you I would try again next week...

Good Luck!

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 12-13-2007, 12:54 PM   #89
Eitel

Wow, what a saga. And people here still have the nerve to ask me if I ever going to move back to PR. Estan locos.
Eitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #90
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eitel View Post
Wow, what a saga. And people here still have the nerve to ask me if I ever going to move back to PR. Estan locos.
You can only live here if you ignore all the ********.