Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2007, 12:59 AM   #391
Edmund
Remote Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
I have a Dish Network 322 box. How do I make sure the "receiver is set to remote address 1"? I don't understand what this means...

The dish receivers know 16 remote addresses, so you can have more then one dish receiver in a given room. But the only address the tivo knows is #1. Check your dish manual on how to identify what address your receiver is actually set to, and to switch addresses if you need to.

This thread might help:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...hread.cgi?6331
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #392
mprh
Farscape is # 1

esata activated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syzygy
Old: Motorola DCT2000 from Comcast (when it was AT&T Broadband)
• 3 digits, No enter key, 10006 Slow

New: Motorola DCT5100 hi-def box from Comcast
• 3 digits, No enter key, 10006 Slow

I didn't have to change anything. However, I tested the IR blaster with this new box for only about one day. My SA TiVo degraded the quality too much to use it for any of the already-too-compressed SD digital channels (which the 2000 delivered better than the 5100 does), or with the high-quality HD channels either.
Is the esata output activated on the Motorola hi def dvr?
Thanks,
Marie
mprh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #393
viccini

Motorola DCH 3200 - Can't change Channels

I just upgraded my cable box to Motorola DCH 3200.

I am trying to use the IR cables from my Tivo Series 2 box to make the Tivo change the channels.

It seems like they are working in that the channel on the cable box are changing (when I go through the channel changing setup on my Tivo), but on my TV screen the channels are not changing. This might be a result of how my cables are plugged into the Tivo, TV, and cable box.

So, one of my inputs has cable only on it (pressing the tivo button does NOT bring up the main menu), while the other input has cable, but when I press the Tivo button, the Tivo menu appears.

I've read other posts that mention codes and am not really sure what this is referring to. Also, there does not seem to be anything specific on this community site regarding Motorola DCH 3200 boxes and channel changing.

Please help!
Thanks,
Ilya
viccini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:48 PM   #394
viccini

Motorola DCH 3200 - Can't change Channels

I just upgraded my cable box to Motorola DCH 3200.

I am trying to use the IR cables from my Tivo Series 2 box to make the Tivo change the channels.

It seems like they are working in that the channel on the cable box are changing (when I go through the channel changing setup on my Tivo), but on my TV screen the channels are not changing. This might be a result of how my cables are plugged into the Tivo, TV, and cable box.

So, one of my inputs has cable only on it (pressing the tivo button does NOT bring up the main menu), while the other input has cable, but when I press the Tivo button, the Tivo menu appears.

I've read other posts that mention codes and am not really sure what this is referring to. Also, there does not seem to be anything specific on this community site regarding Motorola DCH 3200 boxes and channel changing.

Please help!
Thanks,
Ilya
viccini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #395
mike fleming

Angry Tivo selects wrong channels

My Tivo frequently picks up the wrong channel . I have had it 6 years and it is getting worse. My box is a Thomson PVR10UK linked to a Sky box.
I contacted Tivo and they said to tuck one of the IR thingies behind the box and make sure the other one is positioned correctly in front . It still gets the channel wrong 25% of the time ; missed the rugby world cup semi final last night as a result . I have changed batteries on the remote and it works fine with all other functions . Do the IR things wear out ; if so where do I get new ones . OR is it all about correct positioning on the front of the Sky box . Is there anything else I can do?
Am getting desperate and am under domestic pressure to abandon and get Sky+
mike fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:19 AM   #396
mike fleming

I recently posted a question about unreliable channel changing on my Thomson Tivo using IR things . I cannot find it or whether I have had any replies .
Can anyone help me . ?
mike fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:23 PM   #397
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

IR emitters either work or they don't. It is likely that you are experiencing interference that could be attributed to dust buildup on the set top box bezel or the emitters have shifted out of position. Basic troubleshooting should take care of the issue, regardless of the fact that this is a UK box.

Confirm emitter position (centered on set top box sensor, sticking out as far as possible). This is the most vital part, especially if you haven't changed any code settings.
You may wish to create a "tent" of some sort to block out stray interference (halogen bulbs, sunlight, IR signals from your remote or any other IR source in the room, etc) by wrapping around the emitters so they are the only items that can shine on the sensor. You can use a thick magazine or even just isolate the set top box by rotating it or putting it behind a closed cabinet door.

For more details, you should read our online article titled "How Do I Verify My IR Cable Connections?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #398
network23

I'm not sure how this works. My Series 2 TiVo is not able to change channels on my DirecTV box via IR. DirecTV just installed the box yesterday. Before that, I had a DirecTV HD box the TiVo had no problems working with.

Here's what I know.
1. DirecTV uses these "dice stickers" to identify which remotes go to which boxes.
2. The HD Box was a "1".
3. TiVo was working fine with HD box changing channels
4. Because of two other DirecTV boxes in the house, the new box was set to "3".
5. I've gone through the Guided Setup four times now. TiVo has never even suggested that it would change the channel. Absolutely nothing happens on the box.
6. The DirecTV remote works fine on the box.

TiVo tells me there is only one code for DirecTV boxes. How can that be? I would have to think there would be different codes since the boxes have to differentiate between different remotes.

Please help.
network23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #399
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Which make/model are you using? We have only one main IR code captured for new DTV set top boxes and haven't done a capture for multiple remote addresses on a single model.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #400
network23

It's a D11-100.

I went into the settings and found the remote was set to AV1-AV2, or something like that (even though the remote was switched to DTV to control it). When I switched it back to DirecTV, the DirecTV remote stopped working, but the TiVo did.

So, it is obviously something to do with the settings used to separate signals from boxes in the same room. The question is, how to do I fix this so it will work?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #401
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Your best best is to build an IR tent of some sort so that only the IR emitters are shining on the IR sensor. All you need to do is keep each D11 from receiving signals from our IR emitter.

You can achieve the same result by putting one D11 behind a closed door, possibly by turning one sideways, but the best bet is to wrap the emitters behind a material that does not allow IR to shine through (cardboard, tin foil, etc)

See our online article (Building an IR Tent) for more.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:01 PM   #402
network23

Looks like that's the best solution. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:44 PM   #403
amarshll

Cable Box Channel Changes, TiVo Doesn't

I've spent hours looking for someone with this problem but haven't found one.

My cable company -- Insight -- recently "upgraded" its digital cable. (I have a Motorola box, not sure of the model number. (It's not HDTV.) And I'm using the IR cables to change channels.

Recently, I've been having a lot of problems with channel changing. And I think I've finally figured it out. The channel changes on the cable box, but not on the TiVo. So for example, tonight, I was watching a bad movie on a cable channel. I went to make dinner and the TiVo was scheduled to record a news program at 7 pm. When I went to watch the news program, the cable box was tuned to the right channel, and the TiVo "Now Playing" said that it had the news program. But when I played it, it was the bad movie.

I've played with the IR cables, but clearly, they're working. I reset my TiVo not long ago. Any other thoughts?
amarshll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:53 AM   #404
topjimmy

I'm having the same problems with my motorola box from insight. I was hoping someone had some information about it.
topjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #405
BetterYeti
Looks like chicken.

I have completely lost channel changing ability on cable box through serial. Tivo is a 40 hr S2 (first gen with ATT Broadband branding) and a Motorola DCT 2244 box. It had been working flawlessly since the feature was first enabled many years ago. I have restarted the Tivo box a number of times as well as going through the trouble shooting for serial connection multiple times. Still not working. Has this been identified as an issue with 9.1? Or is it more likely a cable box issue? I'm on Boston area Comcast. I REALLY don't want to go back to IR after these many years. Any thoughts?
BetterYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #406
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

topjimmy, gonna need more info in order to provide info. What model are you talking about?

BetterYeti, serial control has not had any problems with 9.1. It's likely that your cable provider did something to disable serial control on your set top box, in which case IR would be your only option until they decide to re-enable it.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #407
JCothron

Scientific Atlanta IPN330HD????

OK, I am seriously flustered at this point, i have tried everything i know and been to almost every different forum site and website searching for answers, but heres my problem:

I have a series 2DT Tivo unit and my cable company recently switched service to IPTV through fiber, TDS Telecom, anyways I need a working IR code for the SRB i have which is a Scientific Atlanta IPN330HD I have tried everything please please help, my unit cannot change channels and this is very very annoying. Thanks in advance for any and help and suggestions.
JCothron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #408
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

10080 has been working fine for that particular model for quite awhile.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #409
JCothron

Ok it worked for one channel change but its skipped from channel 31 to channel 2 and would not continue any further when i tried to set it, any more suggestions and where exactly is the ir bulb on my STB, i see what i think is one but nothing is happening when i try it there i have moved these blasters around everywhere, please help
Old 10-24-2007, 04:56 AM   #410
topjimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
topjimmy, gonna need more info in order to provide info. What model are you talking about?

BetterYeti, serial control has not had any problems with 9.1. It's likely that your cable provider did something to disable serial control on your set top box, in which case IR would be your only option until they decide to re-enable it.

It's a humax series 2 tivo box. I have the ir blaster's hooked up, I even put a new set on. When I'm watching tv and it's time for a show to record and tivo changes the channel it won't change but the info bar says it has. Also if it does change it goes to channel 2. Any ideas?
topjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #411
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy
It's a humax series 2 tivo box. I have the ir blaster's hooked up, I even put a new set on. When I'm watching tv and it's time for a show to record and tivo changes the channel it won't change but the info bar says it has. Also if it does change it goes to channel 2. Any ideas?
I need to know the make/model of the set top box you are trying to control, not the make/model of your DVR. TS would be the same regardless of which model TiVo DVR you own.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #412
JCothron

Ok I have the 10080-B code partially changing channels but It wont change on its it's own now. When you try and change it only works some of the time and it seems after looking at the IR sensors they are working fine. is there anyway to make the signal strnger, it acts like it doesnt recognize the signal and there is a huge 5 second delay between changing channels. please help this is seriously annoying.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:59 PM   #413
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

1> Make sure to set the ENTER key setting to "Yes".
2> Using a flashlight, make sure you know exactly where the sensor is on the SA box and center the IR emitters one above/below & sticking out as far as possible. Position is crucial.
3> Lastly, build an IR tent to isolate outside interference & bounceback echoes.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:22 PM   #414
JCothron

Thanks Jerry, and i hate asking this but I see a bulb type light on the right side of the STB but I have placed the IR emitters on the left side, it doesnt work at all in front of the bulb but works partially in front of the open area on the left. I dunno?? what is a good material to use for a an IR tent? and should i use 1, 2, 3 or 4 digit coding for the channel changes? i know i sound novice but this seems to be defeating me and i need help
Old 11-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #415
SCIFI 3D zoo

I"m not sure if I have a compat. problem or not. I have a new DishNetwork "VIP 222" HD sat box. And I can't get the IR to work. It's possible the IR is broke. It's hooked up right, and I just took it off the cable box after being used for 3 years. I'm glad I didn't get a DVR. From what I've read that may not have worked at all.

So either my IR is broke or there's some other problem. This is a Dual-Tuner box. I still have Comcast in the house so I hooked up the coaxial from that to the RF IN jack on TIVO. I've positioned the IR booms all over the place. Don't know what else to try.

P.S. This box is a dual-tuner and does have the RF for the 2nd tuner but I'm just trying to control the 1st tuner here with the sat. box.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #416
Rose4uKY

I just started having a problem a couple weeks ago. I have the Motorola DCT 2244 box from Insight. One day my channels wouldn't change. One of my IR sensors came off and they were both on top and I didn't realize it. I had them both sitting next to each other on the top and it had been working that way for a while then one day it quit. So I put them back the right way one on top one on bottom ran the setup and channels changed fine but I kept having problems on my recordings. It would stay on one channel and not change but say it was recording my season pass but the other channel would be on there. My channels also started changing faster then they were before and I wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it or not. I called Tivo she said my IR sensors could be bad or I should use Serial. Insight won't enable the serial and I guess I shouldn't of mentioned Tivo but I did and they said we don't support that we want you to use our box and they wouldn't enable it.

I have a dual tuner Tivo in my bedroom without a box so I took those new IR sensors hooked them up ran the test channels changed and I thought I was ok. But last night and tonight it didn't change the channel to record a show again. I called Tivo and I knew there was a setting to make my channels change slower but I couldn't find it. It used to be slow medium and fast I thought and I searched for it under settings. So tonight I called Tivo back and he had me change my code under advanced settings I would of never found it from 10006-B to 10006-C which is the slower changing one. I really hope this helps me now. If not he said unplug the Tivo from the wall for a minute and plug it back in but that the slower channel changing should fix me. I hope so!! It's messed up on me 3 Wednesdays in a row and this was my test tonight but my shows weren't on cause of the CMA Awards. So I think while I am asleep I will set it to randomly record 4 or 5 shows on different channels and see if they all record on the right channel.

But I guess there's no other way to enable the serial port your cable company has to do it right? I am hoping I am fixed now but it's weird how here recently I have been reading about other people having the same problem. Tivo did tell me serial was better but then I read some people have problems every so often with serial. But my other question is on my DCT 2244 Motorola on the question about do you have to enter I chose yes. I haven't used my cable remote in a few years since I've had Tivo so I wasn't a 100% sure on the enter thing but I thought on my old remote and this box I did have to hit enter to change the channels so I chose yes. I guess I could hunt down that remote LOL!!

Has anyone else who has had this problem using IR with my same Motorola box gotten it fixed by changing from fast to slow?
Thanks, Rose

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.

Last edited by Rose4uKY : 11-07-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:08 AM   #417
Phialpha

DCH100 Serial Connection

Just moved into a new house and I don't have a phone line. After years of using a DirecTV receiver with a Serial Connection, I have gotten spoiled.

I don't have a landline hooked up so, long story short, I switched to Digital Cable.

I have a Motorola DCH100 digital settop box and a Series 2 ST. I have tried someones suggestion of a standard 3.5mm cable to connect the serial ports on the Tivo and the CableBox. It didn't work. I tried cycling the cablebox also.

Does anyone know if the Digital Cable box that Cox offers (in Wichita, KS if it matters) has the Serial activated and I just need the correct cable? If I need to change the wires on the standard stereo cable I can do that. I have searched the web, but I haven't found much useful info on the DCH100 since I think it was released in 7/07

Also, if Cox has it "disabled" is it a settings disabled or hardware disabled. I have a few contacts at Cox and figured I would start with them if it's just finding someone to turn on the feature for me.

If it is hardware disabled does anyone know a common Digital Cable box for Standard Def that I could ask for that DOES work with the Series 2 serial connection?

I know it's 20 questions, but if I find any answers I'll post them up here
Not that it matters, I am trying to get this solved before Dexter comes on Sunday Night...
Please and Thank You.
Phialpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:42 AM   #418
Rose4uKY

Well my problem is all fixed now. I knew there was a setting to make the channels change slower and somehow mine went to the fast changing and that was what was messing me up. Ever since Tivo had me go under advance settings and change my setting to the slower changing one I haven't had a problem since. All my shows are recording right now. I haven't had a problem with it being on the wrong channel ever since. So I think my problem is fixed. Rose

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.

Last edited by Rose4uKY : 11-22-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #419
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phialpha View Post
Just moved into a new house and I don't have a phone line. After years of using a DirecTV receiver with a Serial Connection, I have gotten spoiled.

I don't have a landline hooked up so, long story short, I switched to Digital Cable.

I have a Motorola DCH100 digital settop box and a Series 2 ST. I have tried someones suggestion of a standard 3.5mm cable to connect the serial ports on the Tivo and the CableBox. It didn't work. I tried cycling the cablebox also.

Does anyone know if the Digital Cable box that Cox offers (in Wichita, KS if it matters) has the Serial activated and I just need the correct cable? If I need to change the wires on the standard stereo cable I can do that. I have searched the web, but I haven't found much useful info on the DCH100 since I think it was released in 7/07

Also, if Cox has it "disabled" is it a settings disabled or hardware disabled. I have a few contacts at Cox and figured I would start with them if it's just finding someone to turn on the feature for me.

If it is hardware disabled does anyone know a common Digital Cable box for Standard Def that I could ask for that DOES work with the Series 2 serial connection?

I know it's 20 questions, but if I find any answers I'll post them up here
Not that it matters, I am trying to get this solved before Dexter comes on Sunday Night...
Please and Thank You.
As far as I know, only DCT models have been set up to work with serial control. I'm not familiar with the DCH series or its capabilities. It's likely that you'll have to stick with IR (code 10046 is most likely).

Old 11-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #420
Rose4uKY

I have a DCT model and I tried Serial and it didn't work. But I was told to call my cable company that they had to enable the port and they said they wouldn't do it that they don't support Tivo. I guess I shouldn't of told them what it was for. But then I figured out my problem was a Tivo setting for my box and my IR sensors started changing the channels right again. But if your port is not enabled I was told by Tivo it's something your cable company has to do on there end. Rose