TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #3961
Langree
The Gimp

Don't be shocked if installer has an M-Card and no clue that you just need 1.

I actually have an S-card sitting on my TiVo because when I picked them up the clerk didn't know better.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #3962
david4788

Angry Comcast strikes again....

Please help!!

No luck at the local office as I said before. Now I call and they tell me the digital package plus the first card is $68 and then tell me the second card is $5.95...what the heck?? I quote this from their own website:
"There is no charge for the first CableCARD that you use as it is already included in the primary outlet fee. If you have a multi-card device on the same outlet (i.e. TiVo Series 3 or two Digital Cable Tuners connected to the same personal computer), you will be charged an additional regulated fee of up to $1.91 for the second CableCARD."

She tells me "we don't do that." IT"S ON THEIR OWN SITE! Plus goes onto say she has no idea what a multi-stream card is. Also said that only a cable box is included in the price and that all cablecards cost extra. She was nice, but has no idea what is going on.

Plus the advertised cost for the basic digital is $56.95 not $68. I ask for her supervisor...I get VM that says his days off are Wed & Thur...grrrrrr

Anyone have a contact # for a regional person (or anyone) that can get this straight?
david4788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #3963
gilbreen

So the tech came by this morning. He had a stack of cards in his hand. I asked if he had M or S cards but he didn't know. I glanced at them and on one side it shows M card so I let him know only one would be needed.

He seemed knowledgeable otherwise and went about installing the card. It was getting really bad pixelation so he asked if there were any splitters in between the TV and the main incoming line. He found that there was two 2-way splitters back to back right next to each other so replaced the two splitters with just one 3-way.

Pixelation problem immediately disappeared. I have been forcing connections to try to get the box to update as I am at 8.1.

Went alot smoother than I was thinking it would go.

Thanks to all who have posted advice/counsel on successfully getting Tivo HD up and running.

david4788,

Not sure what channels you are hoping to get but we were only interested in the network channels in HD so I downgraded to the family tier. You will only get a subset of the 1-99 channels but the monthly cost is only around $35. You still get one digital box included in the price as there are 5-6 channels above 99 in the package. But with that you will get the locals in HD with your Tivo HD. Not sure if it fits your needs but for us, we were able to cut our cable TV bill in half.
gilbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #3964
PooperScooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by saz25
I, just this minute, called Comcast. They said they don't have M-cards for my area (Nashua, NH). Only S-cards. Oh well. I set up the install date for next Sat Oct 27. My TivoHD should arrive next Monday from Tivo. I ordered the lifetime service transfer from my old S2 unit. I also ordered a disk upgrade (750GB), which should arrive Tues or Wed of next week.

This is what I plan to do. Please tell me if its ok:

1) When the TivoHD arrives, do nothing till the new disk arrives.
2) Install new disk when it arrives.
3) Configure TivoHD without Cablecards and download the latest software/firmware, etc.
4) When the Comcast guy comes, install and set up the cablecards.

Your thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Steve
If you go back a bit in the thread, the last poster or so from Nashua got an M-card. I requested an M-card (if they had them) and asked for 2 cards in case they were S-cards. Tech came with 2 M-cards.

larry
PooperScooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:39 PM   #3965
mae

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj722
Don't know if you are the same headend as DC and PG, but make sure you check A&E HD to see if you have the same problem we do... And don't let them close the ticket until they figure it out. (But let them keep your mostly working M-Card)
Howard County is not on the same headend, it is a Scientific Atlanta area. Interestingly enough, everything but the OTA channels have a CCI of 02, but all, inluding A&E HD come in fine. I don't think the SA cards have the same pairing issues as the Motorola ones, but have their own authorization problems.

The OP may want to search on Howard County in this thread to see what has happened with other installs.
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #3966
linkj

Easy as can be....

Just ordered my new TivoHD for the Lifetime transfer deal.....

Stopped by the Redmond, WA Comcast store over my lunch break.... Walked up to the counter, asked for a cablecard for my Tivo, said I wanted an MCard.

...No problem - the rep handed me 1 Motorola MCard, no additional charges, and I was on my way.

Seems like they have it figured out in this area......
linkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #3967
tmesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by david4788
Plus the advertised cost for the basic digital is $56.95 not $68. I ask for her supervisor...I get VM that says his days off are Wed & Thur...grrrrrr
There's a difference between a number of the digital plans. Which one were you pricing?

If you want HD channels like ESPNHD, TNTHD and Discovery HD Theater, Digital Starter won't get you what you want. Digital Classic or Digital Preferred will. I can't say for sure without knowing your area, but it sounds to me like the $68 price is probably right. ($60 is the cost for Digital Classic around here, and Comcast's pricing in my town is lower than many areas because there's more than one local cable franchise.)
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:42 PM   #3968
murryamorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by saz25
Question:
Functionally, is one M-card the same as two S-cards? No difference? Why would I want two S-cards if I can get one M-card? If I have a choice, should I request an M-card?
Thanks,
Steve
If you have an HD unit, get the M card if you can. It's easier on the install and you only have one card instead of 2. If you have a series 3, you can't use the M card yet.
murryamorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #3969
Ralph Wiggum

My story so far...

-Picked up M-Card from North Ave location in Chicago
-Got S3HD from Circuit City with a 10% off coupon
-Transferred lifetime from old S1 under the $199 deal, without problem
-Installed M-Card and went through setup
-No channels, just gray
-The CC dagnostics screen said only "not tuned - wrong card state"
-3 or 4 calls to 800-comcast to convince them to try and troubleshoot even though "there is an outage in the area which prevents the call from being triaged to a 4 hour callback"
-Get a supervisor who says that "refresh is only for video demand, the sequence your interned board is telling you is wrong."
-Supervisor goes through some background process and has me restart my Tivo.
-I hang up saying it didn't work and then two minutes later realize that it did work but it just took a while to kick on. Diagnostics screen now shows lots of info.
-I now have an occasionally pixelated set of channels (it's still version 8.1), that takes forever to change channels, shows gray between channel changes and doesn't show HBO anywhere in the channel options.
-It seems the card is not validated as it reads "0x00" without the v. Now I need to figure out how to get it validated.
-I guess I still need to talk to the Tinley Park cable card experts?

(Any help is appreciated. I hated my Motorola box, but this certainly isn't better yet.)
Ralph Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:53 PM   #3970
ji0005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
My story so far...
yep. And be warned that they are not ALL experts, but there are some people there that can help you. Another guy on here, and myself, had a guy named Thineous or Phineous or something like that and he was good. My card ended up being fried but he stuck with me for like 5 hours on the phone trying to get it going.
ji0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 PM   #3971
gbmarc

Is a cable card required for series 3?

I have a direct feed with no cable box and I get all the HDTV programs via the tuner in my tv. Do I need to get a cable card to use Tivo series 3 or does the Tivo box provide a tuner in the box to pick up the signal. I don't want to shell out money and find out it won't work unless I have a cable card. Thanks for any input!
gbmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:52 PM   #3972
LisaD

I couldn't hate Comcast more. I'm in CHICAGO - North Downers Grove.

I have talked with at LEAST 10 people in the last 2 weeks. All with a different story.
Last they are insisting they don't have Multi-cards, only single, and I need 2. They want to charge me $40.98 to install. IDK how you all are able to pick up the cards for a DIY, cuz they insist on the phone I can't do this. Frankly, I'm reading of lots of problems anyway so I think I'd rather have them responsible for any BS. I'm buying my TivoHD tomorrow and have Comcast due from 1-5pm. I am keeping my Comcast DVR for a long while before turning it in as I anticipate vast problems and may not like the extra slowness of the Tivo vs. the Moto which zooms.

I see in Chicago area people are getting the Multi cards. Not me. I'm to get 2 cards with the first costing $1.50 and the 2nd $5.99. LOL I know that is wrong. If they insist on giving me 2 single or multi cards - I'm refusing to pay the extra $1.50 because I only need 1 damn multi-card - right? (BTW - comcast says these fabled multi-cards are just 2 single cards stuck together - yes, that's what they told me). Taking advice. At this point after all my stories of phone horror, my husband doesn't even want to do this anymore.

If I could add up all the stress we endured at the hands of inept Comcast - wouldn't that be powerful.
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:14 AM   #3973
LisaD

Basically it seems Comcast (Chicago area) only recognizes in their literature - the Series3. They have zero knowledge that the TivoHD exists. Seems to me they are forcing 2 cards on everyone and hitting them with at least a $1.50 charge they don't need to pay. At $250-300 for the TivoHD, they must be mass purchases of this with 1,000's of people basically getting ripped off by Comcast. Granted, everyone must do their own DD but when I consider that the majority of people have zero clue about this and are depending on Comcast for the right thing...... It really pisses me off. Can they get in big trouble for this?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:39 AM   #3974
Ralph Wiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaD
Basically it seems Comcast (Chicago area) only recognizes in their literature - the Series3. They have zero knowledge that the TivoHD exists. Seems to me they are forcing 2 cards on everyone and hitting them with at least a $1.50 charge they don't need to pay.

As an alternative point of reference -- At the North Ave store I asked for one MCard and got it. I asked about billing and they said the first one is free and they only bill for additional cards. Hopefully my bill will actually reflect that.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #3975
ji0005

Quote:
As an alternative point of reference -- At the North Ave store I asked for one MCard and got it. I asked about billing and they said the first one is free and they only bill for additional cards. Hopefully my bill will actually reflect that.
Good luck to you

I somehow had TWO $5.99 charges for 1 M card I had to correct. Even the executive care person tried to convince me it was right. Stick to your guns when the inevitable happens. Its a two stage process... First get it installed correctly, then get the bill fixed.

PS. Dont pay one penny for anything new that is dated before the card actually was working.
ji0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #3976
LisaD

Well, after waiting for SIX hours, he's finally here. Been here for 1.5 hours. Can't get it to work.
I called THREE times telling them to make sure they bring extra cards on the truck in case of failure. 3! All times I told them to write it down and if they don't do this and the card is defective - I'll freek. They only brought the one card. This guy doesn't seem to know what he's doing. I'm stressed and sad.

EDIT: they say if I keep my comcast dvr for a bit - this M-card will cost $5.99. I don't care right now. Just want this guy to leave so I can get drunk with my husband and eat pizza.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #3977
Ladd Morse

Quote:
My story so far...

-Picked up M-Card from North Ave location in Chicago
-Got S3HD from Circuit City with a 10% off coupon

....snip...

-No channels, just gray
I didn't think the Series 3 worked with M-cards. Only the TiVoHD ...
Old 10-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #3978
Ralph Wiggum

Quote:
-It seems the card is not validated as it reads "0x00" without the v. Now I need to figure out how to get it validated.

An update -- The Tinley Park office called and got my card validated. HBO now come through for all of the SD versions but for some reason, the HBO HD channel is only visible a third of the time with it being gray and unavailable the rest of the time. Any ideas why it would be coming in and out like that?

(From what I can tell from the other signal tests, my signal strength is in the high 90s and my SNR is 35.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd Morse
I didn't think the Series 3 worked with M-cards. Only the TiVoHD ...

I meant to say Series 3 HD, which I guess isn't correct since the $299 isn't considered the 3rd series. I got the Tivo HD.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:56 PM   #3979
LisaD

Quote:
Well, after waiting for SIX hours, he's finally here. Been here for 1.5 hours. Can't get it to work.
I called THREE times telling them to make sure they bring extra cards on the truck in case of failure. 3! All times I told them to write it down and if they don't do this and the card is defective - I'll freek. They only brought the one card. This guy doesn't seem to know what he's doing. I'm stressed and sad.

EDIT: they say if I keep my comcast dvr for a bit - this M-card will cost $5.99. I don't care right now. Just want this guy to leave so I can get drunk with my husband and eat pizza.
He couldn't get the card working and left. They'll try again tomorrow. This beyond sucks.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #3980
LisaD

They just called and said they have no M-cards and I have to wait a week for it. (despite others here reporting they are even PICKING UP their cards). Oh boy. On verge of leaving Comcast.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #3981
Ralph Wiggum

Turns out my problem with not receiving HBO HD, but everything else, was because I was using cheap coax cables. The minute I switched to better coax cables, my signal strength on the channel went from "-" to "100". That means that Tinley Park had everything fully set up within 24 hours of me calling into Comcast after picking up the M-Card. Those guys are terrific.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #3982
wizzy
S1, (2) S2, TivoHD

Quote:
I picked up my M card from North Ave a few months back, and my bills have been clean since then. No extra fees whatsoever.
wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #3983
LisaD

They were saying the North Ave place is the only Comcast location that has cable cards. Was told that even if I can convince them to give it to me (LOL).... that they are configured only for certain areas and it wouldn't work in my area - only Chicago and/or a certain area. He went on into technical aspects of that but I stopped listening.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:24 PM   #3984
slay65

Another unsuccessful install

Today Comcast came out to install a cable card in my new TivoHD. The installer brought two cable cards (both M). I asked him if he had done a Tivo install before and he said yes but it was a long time ago. At that point I knew this might be difficult.

I explained to him that my Tivo only required 1 card if they were M cards. He called one of his co-workers who confirmed what I said. So he started the install by putting the cable card in Slot 2. I tried to stop him, but it was in there before I could shout "Stop". He thought it was slot 1. I would have too if I had not read the instructions. Why did Tivo put slot 1 on the right? He moved the card to slot 1.

Any way he called in the required numbers. The system sent to "acquiring channels" screen. After a short while it tuned to a local station. When we tried higher numbers all I got was a grey screen. Basically all my local and local HD channels were working and that was it.

So he called in to get the card HIT again. The person on the phone said there was long queue and it would take 45 minutes. He left saying the rest of the channels would come in once the cards where HIT. I doubted that would be the case but I needed to leave so I said that and let him go.

I left home for a few hours. When I got home I thought I would see if all was working. As I expected, it was in the same state - only locals. I called Comcast back and explained the situation. The lady on the line was nice and agreed to re-HIT by cards. She said it would take 20 minutes and that I should call back if it didn't work. So I waited 1 hour and still no change.

I called back in and this person said we need to get you in touch with the cable card experts. He said they would call me back tonight or tomorrow morning.

I am now waiting for that call.

My question is: what are the odds this person will be able to fix my problem or will they need to come back out with a new card? Based on looking at the cable card screens, the card is paired but it is not authorized. In the authorization field it say MP. Not sure what NP is, but based on my reading it should say S.

Any comments?
slay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:28 PM   #3985
nevermore5702

I can only view my basic channels. HD, premium, and the digital channels all show a black screen.

I had 2 single stream cards installed the other day. My wife was home when the tech same to install, and first he tells her he doesnt really know how to do it, then said he tried to pass it off on another tech, but no one wanted it. Nice service...

He told her to wait 4 hours for the cards to fully activate. I called a CSR after 4 hours and they send a signal 11 times, but no luck. Then the CSR told me to wait 24 hours. Still black on all but the basic channels.

Dont think I can do anything, but aside from running through guided setup and restarting, anyone have any ideas? I have a tech somming next week, but am itching to use my box. Oh, its a HD, not S3.

Thanks!
nevermore5702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:36 PM   #3986
brothers

FWIW, I ran over to the local Comcast office (Hudson, MA, serving Sudbury, where I live) this morning, hoping to score a couple of M-cards. No such luck. Any kind of box you might want, but no CableCards.

Anyhoo, while there I scheduled a visit for next Saturday; had her note that I want two M-cards (for two Tivo HDs) on the order. Based on everything I've read here, I'm not optimistic. If the guy arrives without M-cards, I plan to refuse the visit (and any charges associated with it). I'm paying for two outlets (two Comcast DVRs), and the pricing brochure I picked up at the Comcast office clearly states that one cableCard per device is free.

I'll report back.

- Dennis
brothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:02 AM   #3987
LisaD

(Chicago burbs)...
Amazingly a supervisor came out today after the 2nd failed attempt to get the cards working. He came with 3 m-cards and a higher-end tech came a few minutes later as backup. They got it working and had all my channels running in a relatively short time.

I frankly wouldn't trust any "wait 24 hours" stuff. My advice is to not let them leave the house till it's working perfectly or they declare the card 'bad'.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:29 AM   #3988
tmesser

Quote:
(Chicago burbs)...
Amazingly a supervisor came out today after the 2nd failed attempt to get the cards working. He came with 3 m-cards and a higher-end tech came a few minutes later as backup. They got it working and had all my channels running in a relatively short time.
Glad to hear they got it working. Let us know if your bill ends up being correct. The credit that Executive Care promised me two weeks ago (for all the botched installation attempts) just came through for me on the Comcast account management Web site a few days ago.

I went through a similar headache in Naperville. It seems that the only offices allowing customer pickup of cards are within the city of Chicago, which is ridiculous. No M-Cards for me, either.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:43 AM   #3989
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmesser
GThe credit that Executive Care promised me two weeks ago (for all the botched installation attempts) just came through for me on the Comcast account management Web site a few days ago.
So what'd they give you? I got a month comped (cable and HSI), the introductory HSI price for six months, $10 off for six months, and six months free Showtime.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:31 AM   #3990
GaryD9

Had a smooth install this past Friday. Tech showed up in the stated timeframe (which is the first time ever for me with comcast.) He had brought 3 MCards and 2 SCards. I told him that he only needed a single MCard for the THD...

He basically let me run the show with the install (considering I had already done all my own coax runs) and he did the talking on the phone to get the card hit. First person he talked to was clueless and didn't hit the card properly. Hung up and called back - and it went very smooth. Card was hit, found it's channel list, and everything worked.
GaryD9 is offline   Reply With Quote