TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #61
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodalpho
I totally disagree, they deserve a big loud boo for allowing 9.1 to be released in the first place. I'm sure their beta testers caught all of these issues and TiVo pushed 9.1 to production anyway to meet some contract with Rhapsody.
Hmmm...hadn't considered the Rhaposdy angle. They're part of Real Networks correct? I've never had much luck with their products...always buggy...kind of like v9.1. Let's hope it doesn't spread any further.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #62
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams
Agreed, that is strange particularly after the multiple posts about the TiVo HD software issues. They acknowledged that there were problems quite fast, that they were working on them more than once and that updates were ready and then being rolled out.

TiVo's silence on this one was deafening.
Could make you wonder if this was an accident and they were caught flat footed....
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:17 PM   #63
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
Agreed, that is strange particularly after the multiple posts about the TiVo HD software issues. They acknowledged that there were problems quite fast, that they were working on them more than once and that updates were ready and then being rolled out.

Tivo came out with a fix, and very quickly I might add, isn't that what it counts at the end?

What if Pony posted here before the fix was available, but can't quote any date on a fix, you think he would received any better reception? I'd imagine we get a lot of "I don't believe there is a fix until I see it" kind of comments. If I were Pony, I wouldn't want step in here one way or the other.
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #64
mrmike
Custom User Title

Given what I know about software V&V process, I have to believe that these fixes have been in the pipleline for longer than a couple of weeks. They may have decided to break some of them off into a shorter-term release for customer sat issues, though.
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #65
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Thumbs up

Quote:

Here's hoping the silence is indicative of hard work and many hours trying to correct 9.1, thats forgivable because we don't have to wait xx months for a fix.
If thats the case good job TiVo team.
TiVoXL4 - 2TB (1TB external)
Cablevision Raritan Valley, NJ
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #66
rodalpho

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12
If I were Pony, I wouldn't want step in here one way or the other.
He's in marketing. It's his job.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/09/01
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #67
ToddNeedsTiVo
Shampoo is not toxic

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon
In the network & phone settings screen, if a software update has been downloaded, the last status will show as "Pending Restart" instead of "Succeeded" or "Failed". This lets you know that there's a software update to be applied, and the unit will be rebooting itself about 2am to apply the update. If you see this, you can have the unit reboot (the nice way, preferably) any time, and it'll begin applying the update.
Thanks demon & carroca. I had never noticed my S2 showing that in four years, but I'm glad to know about it now. But I didn't look at that status screen much to begin with.

Here's hoping 9.2 solves many of those problems out there. I really hope CableCARDS become more robust in future updates. Maybe by then I'll be interested in what Mediacom has on digital cable and upgrade my service for my TiVo HD.
ToddNeedsTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:36 PM   #68
Saturn
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Tivo came out with a fix, and very quickly I might add, isn't that what it counts at the end?
If a fix exists now, but my TiVo doesn't get it for another month, does it really matter to me?

No.

TiVo, fix my TiVo. I'm tired of rebooting my box.
Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #69
stm378

E-sata

Ok, so someone's gotta ask. I just got 9.2 today, for all of the Tivo HD'ers that haven't yet added a drive with WinMFS...does this update allow Tivo HD owners to do the super easy Kickstart method of adding external storage like the Series 3 owners. Or better yet...gasp....has anyone with 9.2 tried just plugging in an external drive and praying to the Tivo gods that it's plug-n-play?

-S-
stm378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:48 PM   #70
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

I come to this forum to find information, and to find out about bugs and bug fixes. If Tivo is not aware of the issue, yeah, we want to talk about it until they get it, but they have a fix now, and is rolling it out, so what does this "I want my fix NOW" talk do us?
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 PM   #71
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stm378
Ok, so someone's gotta ask. I just got 9.2 today, for all of the Tivo HD'ers that haven't yet added a drive with WinMFS...does this update allow Tivo HD owners to do the super easy Kickstart method of adding external storage like the Series 3 owners. Or better yet...gasp....has anyone with 9.2 tried just plugging in an external drive and praying to the Tivo gods that it's plug-n-play?

-S-
Since not many have gotten the 9.2, and you have it, the better question is:

Have you?
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
Old 10-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #72
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Hello all.

Yes, I'm swamped. Sorry, but hanging out on the forums, communicating with all of you just hasn't been possible as of late. Very busy times.

TiVoJerry is out of the office at the moment (and actually, I just got back into the office). He'll be back soon.

The 9.2 software is a Series3/TiVo HD only release, and just entered the 'test the waters' phase last night. It's going out to a small number of customers to measure the impact on the call centers. We do this with every release, it's part of the process leading to a wider, full scale rollout.

It does offer official support for verified eSATA devices. As the tivo.com/expand page says...more on that later.

There are other goodies in the release too, features and bug fixes alike. Nope, we do not provide release notes. Sorry if that bothers some, but trust that the average TiVo subscriber is not into the same level of detail as folks here on the forum. We do what we can, but detailed release notes are not on the horizon. Beat the horse, but don't beat the Pony. Thx.

Don't expect to hear much out of us regarding this release for now...it's not released yet. It's just simmering...it'll be soup soon enough.

Pony
Old 10-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #73
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
Hello all.

Yes, I'm swamped. Sorry, but hanging out on the forums, communicating with all of you just hasn't been possible as of late. Very busy times.

TiVoJerry is out of the office at the moment (and actually, I just got back into the office). He'll be back soon.

The 9.2 software is a Series3/TiVo HD only release, and just entered the 'test the waters' phase last night. It's going out to a small number of customers to measure the impact on the call centers. We do this with every release, it's part of the process leading to a wider, full scale rollout.

It does offer official support for verified eSATA devices. As the tivo.com/expand page says...more on that later.

There are other goodies in the release too, features and bug fixes alike. Nope, we do not provide release notes. Sorry if that bothers some, but trust that the average TiVo subscriber is not into the same level of detail as folks here on the forum. We do what we can, but detailed release notes are not on the horizon. Beat the horse, but don't beat the Pony. Thx.

Don't expect to hear much out of us regarding this release for now...it's not released yet. It's just simmering...it'll be soup soon enough.

Pony

Thanks Pony! While you had to leave some questions unanswered, it's still nice to know Tivo's watching/listening.
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 PM   #74
stm378

Quote:
Since not many have gotten the 9.2, and you have it, the better question is:

Have you?
No no, and I can't...I have a Seagate 750 that's still in the box and waiting for confirmation. I'm hoping someone else has one that's open or from another system or that they're making or something. I don't want to open it until I know that it will work and that Tivo is not going to just allow their own proprietary "Tivo Drives". I'd bet money that they're coming, and most likely are the "exciting new product" that the external drive link on Tivo is talking about. If that is the case then I want to still be able to return the Seagate drive, because if I can't use it for Tivo I have no use for it.

-S-
stm378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 PM   #75
Icarus

never mind .. just saw TivoPony's response. (there was another page in the thread!)

-David

Last edited by Icarus : 10-16-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #76
cr33p

Someone could also PM Spike and see if he has gotten ahold of the new 9.2 and tested the kick start method for the TiVo HD? Or someone could help him obtain it as well
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #77
normychas

thanks tivo pony you are very kind being a public messenger for tivo on these message boards.
I wanted to know if anybody else finds the language of verified device as odd? I know that tivo hard drives have been talked about for awhile but am i the only one worried that we will lose the opportunity to add stuff. I have a tivo hd but i would be worried about losing kick start 62 functionality with the 9.2 update. Thoughts?
normychas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:26 PM   #78
moyekj

Thanks TivoPony. Since the 9.2 update is specific to S3/THD units then I would presume there will be no priority list and the rollout should happen fairly quickly once the floodgates are open (considering the S3/THD user base is much less than the S2 user base).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #79
Soapm

Thanks Pony, anything simmering for us S2 users. My DT wish list and season passes took a beating with the 9.1 release and I would like to know if I can stop recreating them all or not. This is a huge tedous task that I can really do without.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #80
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Dagnabbit -- I had a "pending restart" for my newest TiVo HD -- but it was from 8.1 to 9.1.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #81
Carsten

I doubt that they will wipe our "unoffical" eSATA hdd upgrades. If they would do this then it would have been done a long time ago (with the 9.x release I think).

Plus they would piss alot of people off, I dont think it was a mistake that the kickstart method was ever there in the first place. I read about the kickstart on *another* forum but didnt even know what kickstart ment at the time until Mr. Spike announced it. I think it was put there for people to expand "unoffically" without support. I took the risk and am happy I did. There would have been no way for me to keep all my F1 stuff this session with only 1 250gb hdd....well, with TTG disabled.
Carsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #82
Joybob

9.2 is exactly what those of us with 0 problems with 9.1 needed.
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #83
Carsten

Quote:
Hello all.

Pony
Want me to get you a BlackBerry so you can keep in touch 24/7? Got plenty of nice onces laying around...

PM me.
Carsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #84
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsten
I doubt that they will wipe our "unoffical" eSATA hdd upgrades.
We already know for a fact they won't. They didn't. We already have reports of the backdoor functioning with 9.2 and functioning fully.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #85
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have a pretty strong feeling that TiVo will provide a list of "known compatible drives and enclosures" similar to what other hardware/software companies do (Protools is a good example) along with a "turnkey solution" drive/case combo (I'm guessing a variant of the Free Agent Pro) that you can simply plug and play.

I'm gonna also guess that the Seagate DB drives and MX-1 Enclosures will be at the top of that list of "approved configurations". Time will tell, but I feel pretty certain they've been monitoring these threads and know which one's work and which one's are suspect. Not sure why I think they will choose the FAP but I just have a feeling they will. I can't see them re-inventing the wheel on this one.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:29 PM   #86
Joybob

We require proof and screenshots.
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 PM   #87
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob
And the reason you believe this to be inaccurate is what?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5603115
Old 10-16-2007, 10:22 PM   #88
Saturn
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Hello all.

Pony
Let me translate:

1. We're busy fixing what we broke.
2. Ignore the bugs: look - new features! Features you all on this forum have had access to anyway.
3. We're too lazy to put together even a simple list of things we added/fixed for our best and most loyal customers.
4. Don't hurt me, I'm just a PR guy.

Yes, I'm extremely annoyed. A bug has been found that affects a wide range of S3 owners and causes them to, for the first time in TiVo history (that I know of) cause a TiVo to consistently record blank shows. What do we get? 'Oooo...lookie, new features...' No apology, no promise of a fix, no guarantee that 9.2 even addresses the problem. Just a bunch of level 1 CSRs swearing up and down that a problem doesn't exist and a few level 2 CSRs that actually seem to know what's going on but can't promise anything either.

Lets compare this to two recent incidents from companies with generally terrible customer support:

1. Sometime last year, Time Warner had a failed upgrade roll out to a bunch of cable boxes causing them to reboot infinitely. The phone lines were swamped and no immediate fix was available, according to the hold message when I called. The problem was fixed in under 24 hours and they actually called people (with an automated message) to tell them how to fix their box if it wasn't working.

2. I lost power for 4 hours during a huge thunderstorm. WE energies called me (with an automated message) the day after to apologize about the outage, and a number to call if my power wasn't back on. A few days later they called again (another automated message) to apologize again and gave a number to call if there were any questions or concerns.

Small glitches I can understand, and they will go mostly unnoticed by 95% of users. Cable cards randomly refusing to tune anything digital that can only be fixed by a reboot is one of those problems TiVo should be on their hands and knees begging for forgiveness over, especially if it is as widespread as the poll on this forum indicates.
Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 PM   #89
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2007-10/...orage-arrives/

Can't tell you which drives are "blessed" or what happens to exisiting eSATA drives using Kickstart, but I did run four pics courtesy Christopher Walsh.

Last edited by davezatz : 10-17-2007 at 08:42 AM.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:26 PM   #90
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn
Let me translate
Permission denied.

You may have a point, but a hat will cover that.

Try fewer words... with less tiresome...

Will you add any of that to the list of quotations in your sig?