TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #3871
Scarri

Finnaly got my 2 S-cards installed today by Comcast in howard county, MD

This was the 3rd attempt

1st try the guy had my order wrong and didn't have any cable cards.

2nd try the guy had no idea what he was doing and after trying 6 different cards claimed they were all bad and left.

today I got a guy who was willing to work with me to get it working and I just had to hold his hand through the whole thing. Biggest problem was him waiting on hold to get the techs to activate the cards. It was a good thing I read over the cable card troubleshooting guide they had at tivo.com. If i hadn't this guy probably would have left me too but since I could show him that I was receiving messages and that the CC status was still "waiting for CP auth" he stuck it out and got the people at the main office to fix it
Scarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #3872
johnnylundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarri
1st try the guy had my order wrong and didn't have any cable cards.

2nd try the guy had no idea what he was doing and after trying 6 different cards claimed they were all bad and left.
Sounds like the typical Comcast Experience!!!
johnnylundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #3873
davemcs

Two S-Cards installed by Comcast (SE MASS) yesterday. Contractor was told he had M-Cards..but was given two by the "powers that be" and they loaded as S Cards...

He had never done a Tivo install ( despite my request for a tech who had done Tivos before) so I was leery. I stood by as he wrote down all the info and read along on the screen as he read the info twice..once to pair it to my account then again to activate the cards. S Card 1 went in no problem THD recognized it as an SCard and it was authorized with "subscribed" in the conditional access screen
Card 2 is still only recognized as "card inserted" not as an SCard. It took a few minutes to get all the channels running on this card. It went from unknown to not subscribed to subscribed in 5 mins. As that was happeneng I had only the channel banner..but no video/audio just the grey screen...once it was "suscribed" all was well.
Knock on wood I got a reasonable contractor and someone @ the head end who knew her stuff (Jenna I think)...

So far so good..channel changing is a bit slow..but I LOVE being able to save HD programming...now all I want is eSATA enabled so THD's can be expanded (without haXoring)
davemcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:35 PM   #3874
old64mb

My story: Installer called early (8:30) for a 2-6 window to confirm. Asked him for Motorola M-Cards (and absolutely no SAs!), he wasn't sure if he had em at the warehouse but he would try - in return I let him come very early (10:30). Of course, said he preferred their boxes since they were "easier to diagnose".

Nice enough guy, not a contractor but a real Comcast employee, brought 5 new Motorola M-Cards just in case 1 didn't work. Knew in general terms what he was doing (correct slot, one at a time), although I was the one responsible for getting to the right page on the menu so he could call in the numbers and since he didn't know the difference between an S3 and HD I suspect he was telling the truth when he said I knew more about it than he did. (He was also waxing eloquent about their new 100 something hour box until I told him I had 144 HD hours, at which point he said, "wow, that's actually pretty cool.") Had a hit delivered, first S3 worked right away on both tuners, second didn't. He left, I completed guided setup, first S3 worked fine, soft and then hard rebooted second S3, all is well (although I've gotten the pairing screen randomly a couple of times now on the second, which worries me a bit.) $1.79x2 for the "Dual Cblcard" package means I'm paying $1.79 less than I should, which is fine with me. No install fee either.

Only issue is that they are not authorizing ESPN/TNTHD/et al other digital basic cables on the HD tier yet; I'm going to call and try to get that resolved without paying $7. Anyone know if UHD is included in that set?
old64mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #3875
tmesser

Executive Care gave me a credit for the $75.76 in installation fees and service change charges that had been triggered by the multiple truck rolls. That was easy. But does anyone know about a "digital access fee"? Am I being charged for an additional outlet?

I have one CableCARD in my TV (which is staying there, in case I want to watch something live while both tuners on my THD are recording), and two in the TiVo. Technically they're on the same physical outlet using a splitter, but Comcast doesn't seem to use the same definition of "outlet" as the rest of the world. Here's what my new billing looks like:

Digital Preferred w/HBO - $79.47
T3DDVRCARDS - $1.50 (estimated, as Recent Activity currently shows a charge of $1.79 for 9/26 to 10/31)
Digital access fee - $5.95 (estimated, as Recent Activity currently shows a prorated charge of $4.44 for 10/9 to 10/31)

My understanding is that one outlet is included with a digital package, and that there should be no separate equipment rental charge for any additional outlets. Do I need to call Executive Care again to get this "digital access fee" removed?

EDIT: After some more thinking, it's occurred to me that this might be the correct billing (in which case I would be amazed that they got it right on the first try). In my market and probably most others, the first CableCARD is free on any outlet, and any additional ones are $1.50. The TiVo has two, so there's my "one free." The other outlet includes a CableCARD. Even though I don't really want to pay $5.95 for another outlet, this may be correct.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour

Last edited by tmesser : 10-10-2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: more details
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #3876
tmesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by old64mb
Only issue is that they are not authorizing ESPN/TNTHD/et al other digital basic cables on the HD tier yet; I'm going to call and try to get that resolved without paying $7. Anyone know if UHD is included in that set?
Yes, UHD is supposed to be included with that if it's available in your market.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #3877
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmesser
My understanding is that one outlet is included with a digital package, and that there should be no separate equipment rental charge for any additional outlets. Am I right? Do I need to call Executive Care again to get this "digital access fee" removed?
With Comcast, every piece of equipment that needs CableCARD(s) is presumed to be an "outlet" unless you can convince them otherwise.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #3878
aaronc100

Success (Comcast) and Failure (Millennium) in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.

Well, I got hooked up for Comcast on Monday, and they showed up with a MStream Cable Card for my HD TiVo. After install, and after the guy left of course (he claimed it was working when he saw one station pop-up), I wound up with a limited amount of stations (1-2?, 200-22?, and 339-34? (SHO)).

Well, after calling Comcast customer service, and having them hit the card numerous times, they sent out another technician... I was very skeptical that swapping out the Cable Card would fix the problem, but after the swap and a few sacrificial offers, the TiVo gods have arrived at my place.

So, after two visits (Monday and today [Wednesday]), I have all of my cable line-up, plus HBO and SHO.

It would be prudent to mention that the reason I switched to Comcast, is that Millennium Digital Media could not figure out how to get a cable card to even partially work...nor did they have any MStream cards. The lady at the service counter told me when I turned in my equipment, that the reason they don't push the cable cards is that they NEVER are able to get them to work...sounds like something that should be an FCC violation. So, if you have Millennium, and want an HD TiVo, be prepared to switch to Comcast or Verizon.
aaronc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #3879
davemcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
With Comcast, every piece of equipment that needs CableCARD(s) is presumed to be an "outlet" unless you can convince them otherwise.
I had the tech remove the HD set top box which made my cablecards my only outlets..not additionals..that detail got me a lower rate per month
davemcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #3880
cjchaps

If you are trying to pick up a cable card yourself at the Comcast Lisle, IL office I wouldn't bother. I stopped by there yesterday and they "don't have the cards and don't give them out". I asked if they gave out boxes and they said "Yes". She then asked to setup an appointment so I said "OK, but I want to make sure you tell them it's an Mcard", and of course they were like "there are different kinds of cards out there??".

I got out of there and am going to try and schedule an install over the phone with someone who hopefully heard of mcards.
cjchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #3881
johnnylundy

You'd think they'd send out a memo or something. TiVo's installer instructions are a single page. Actually you don't even need that because the TiVo itself walks you through the process.

Of course, the "highly trained installers" just barge right up to the unit, cram two cards in it, don't know how to get to the screens that matter, declare all six cards they brought with them to be "bad", and take off. Then back at the lunch room they regale each other with stories of how much they "hate those (@*#) CableCARDs."
Old 10-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #3882
jgerry
save vinyl

Atlanta, GA

Update: I guess the 5th time really is a charm! After the last tech managed to install an M card in my TivoHD but couldn't get it authorized.

Two techs showed up today. I showed them the "Conditional Access" screen where it said AUTH: MP and told them it should say AUTH: S. They felt that the setup was fine, called their office, had the headend hit the card again with an authorization. Boom! Worked fine. Everything seems to be working fine now.

I re-did my guided setup to remove the OTA channels. No point in keeping them really, as I'm getting some pixelization due to low signal strength anyway. Slight weirdness: All my season passes, which were attached to the OTA channels, are still there. The channels for those Season Passes are still listed as OTA channels (they show up as 11-1, 2-1, etc) and not as cable HD channels (803, 805 etc). But when I check the To Do list, the scheduled recordings all still show up, but they're showing the proper cable HD channel. So it looks like I won't have to wipe them all out and start over. Bravo, Tivo! Nice job on that bit.
jgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #3883
lukin11

Middletown NJ

Comcast came out today with 2 SCards. Successful install after a a little nervousness when the first rep on the phone had never done a Tivo before, put the tech on hold, then hung up on him! Next rep knew what he was doing, and after reading the host id's and card #s ... we were good to go! SD, HD & HBO all working!

Just a heads up... when testing channels, don't change channels too quickly if you have a TivoHD, there is a (see TivoHD FAQ, i can't link yet!) known/reported bug where the tivo will just reboot. Not fun since it takes so long to come back (it also scared the crap out of me!).

The tech that came to the house had never done a Tivo before and seemed to be very interested in why I didn't like the Comcast DVR. I gave him plenty of reasons then he proceeded to point out that I can no longer get On Demand (which I knew). Then, in front of my wife, he tells me that the CableCards are "flaky and don't always work". Way to go dude... scare the wife.

Is this a tactic they are taught at Comcast school? Of course my wife as all worried... ugh. Is there any truth to this? Now that they are set up & both working, we should be good to go right? I've read the stories about problems getting going, but haven't read anything where someone has had a problem post-install.

Both cards are SA single stream.

I was told that there were no MultiStream cards available yet in my area, which I think is BS... but oh well.
lukin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #3884
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin11
Both cards are SA single stream.

I was told that there were no MultiStream cards available yet in my area, which I think is BS... but oh well.
No, that seems to be the norm in Scientific Atlanta markets. It's not that there are no multistream cards in existence -- in fact, they're used in the SA8300HDC DVR -- but for whatever reason as standalone cards, they've just not really become available for some reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:45 PM   #3885
lukin11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
No, that seems to be the norm in Scientific Atlanta markets. It's not that there are no multistream cards in existence -- in fact, they're used in the SA8300HDC DVR -- but for whatever reason as standalone cards, they've just not really become available for some reason.
Ah yes... I did ask the tech (acting like I didn't know what I was talking about) why we couldn't just use the multistream card from the SA box I was returning (pointing out to him that it said "MCard" on it) .... you'll enjoy his response:

Quote:
See that screw there? and that tape? that means it has to stay in there

lukin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #3886
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin11
Ah yes... I did ask the tech (acting like I didn't know what I was talking about) why we couldn't just use the multistream card from the SA box I was returning (pointing out to him that it said "MCard" on it) .... you'll enjoy his response:

That really pisses me off, because what that methodology did was to uneven the supposedly even playing field. What's happening is that when the new SA8300HDC's arrive, they're being inventoried and assigned a multistream card that's essentially "locked" with the receiver, and all the info is being pre-entered in their database so that they continue to authorize boxes solely by their serial number instead of requiring the same info we TiVo CableCARD users provide -- Host ID, CableCARD ID, serial number and (in Motorola markets) the Data value.

Whereas if they'd done this "the right way" the CSRs/Dispatch CSRs would go through exactly the same collection of info for all receivers with CableCARDs... and presumably third party equipment like the TiVo receivers would soon enough be as easy to install and authorize as they should;ve been from day 1.

I find it to be a very disingenuous way for the cable companies to utilize CableCARD devices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:33 PM   #3887
johnnylundy

Quote:
The tech that came to the house had never done a Tivo before
I'm shocked.
Quote:
and seemed to be very interested in why I didn't like the Comcast DVR. I gave him plenty of reasons
Forgetting your recorded shows should be reason enough, but the crappy interface, no To-Do List, and freezing remote can be thrown into the mix. Oh, and the 5th line of the Guide that is an ad that you have to click through....
Quote:
then he proceeded to point out that I can no longer get On Demand (which I knew).
To which I say that I have no demand for On Demand.
Quote:
Then, in front of my wife, he tells me that the CableCards are "flaky and don't always work".
This from a bozo who just admitted that he had never installed CableCARDs before. I hope you pointed that out to him.

It could just possibly be that his ignorance and refusal to read one page of installation instructions is the source of his "opinion" that the cards are "flaky and don't always work."

I wonder if it ever occurred to Comcast to pre-authorize the cards for your account before they send them out.

They have a helluva nerve insulting you for your choice of product after charging you $20 for some clueless tech to come out. Any time they send a tech who says he has "never done this before", the truck roll should be free. After all, the customer is doing Comcast's training for them.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #3888
Flashbrook

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbrook
I just sprung for a TiVo DVR, I have 2 old ones, but just got the TiVo HD DVR and I have fallen in love allover again. Other than having a tech come out and give me the two CableCARDS I needed to get my digital channels, its GREAT. I found the ComCast DVR to be slow and sloppy. The tech did have some trouble and it took about 20 min of phone calls from him to another guy but he got it done. I have no charge for the cards and I'm in Port Huron Michigan

Just got my bill, and I am being charged $7 per month per tuner card/CableCard. Also I get hit with the $7 per month HD charge. So for My HD TiVo I am paying $6 and some change to TiVo (Multi box Discount) plus $21 to ComCast on top of my cable package.......SO WORTH IT!!!

I don't care I love my Tivo and will not go back to their DVR.
Flashbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #3889
silypuddy

Quote:
Just got my bill, and I am being charged $7 per month per tuner card/CableCard. Also I get hit with the $7 per month HD charge. So for My HD TiVo I am paying $6 and some change to TiVo (Multi box Discount) plus $21 to ComCast on top of my cable package.......SO WORTH IT!!!

I don't care I love my Tivo and will not go back to their DVR.
That doesn't sound right.

The first card should be free (part of the outlet) and the second card should be around $1.50. As for the HD charge, they aren't charging me for HD channels in the Twin Cities. Maybe if I asked for HDNet they would start charging.... I dunno.. and I am afraid to ask...
Old 10-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #3890
johnnylundy

Quote:
Just got my bill, and I am being charged $7 per month per tuner card/CableCard. Also I get hit with the $7 per month HD charge.
That's too much. No need to call - just go to the Comcast site and use the Chat feature. I had to do that to get the "A/O" (additional outlet) removed - I bet that is what they did to you too. Look on your statement at Comcast under Recent Activity. If you see "a/o", that is incorrect and the rep on the Chat will remove it.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:20 PM   #3891
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylundy
That's too much. No need to call - just go to the Comcast site and use the Chat feature. I had to do that to get the "A/O" (additional outlet) removed - I bet that is what they did to you too. Look on your statement at Comcast under Recent Activity. If you see "a/o", that is incorrect and the rep on the Chat will remove it.
I've been trying to get the billing straightened out on my Cable Cards since I got the Tivo HD at launch and haven't had any success.

1) First CC free, second CC $1.50 per month.

2) $7 "HD Programming" charge for my HD channels on the Tivo

3) CC refuses to get me an M-card, says that there are no M-cards available in my market.

They are also charging me $7 for my only Comcast branded cable box (non DVR) which again they say is an "HD Programming" charge.

I've called numerous times, written letters, etc, and they have refused to budge on the HD Programming bologna.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #3892
bizzy

Quote:
I find it to be a very disingenuous way for the cable companies to utilize CableCARD devices.
While it rankles the 1 percent of us who use Tivo devices, it is probably quite pleasant for the other 99% of their customer base who appreciates the fact that their new cable box works with a minimum of fuss.

Honestly, if you were the cable co, would you work to optimize activation of the devices the overwhelming majority of your customers use, or the devices so rare, many of your installers still haven't touched?

While I agree that cable companies are evil and sleazy, this one really is just a common sense decision, not a conspiracy.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #3893
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy
While it rankles the 1 percent of us who use Tivo devices, it is probably quite pleasant for the other 99% of their customer base who appreciates the fact that their new cable box works with a minimum of fuss.

Honestly, if you were the cable co, would you work to optimize activation of the devices the overwhelming majority of your customers use, or the devices so rare, many of your installers still haven't touched?

While I agree that cable companies are evil and sleazy, this one really is just a common sense decision, not a conspiracy.
The point is that it's 3 numbers. Surely they could streamline their systems and train their CSRs to handle it. But by creating two different systems, they're creating the problem.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #3894
bizzy

Quote:
The point is that it's 3 numbers. Surely they could streamline their systems and train their CSRs to handle it. But by creating two different systems, they're creating the problem.
I agree with that.

However, to Comcast's credit, the last time I had an auth problem, about a week ago, I called in to support; told them what the problem was ("One of my cablecards has lost its auth"), and the csr immediately asked for the host and data numbers. Within a minute she had sent a refresh hit, and sent an additional init and refresh when I asked her to.

They are improving! A year ago they didn't know what a cablecard was
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #3895
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

The latest bill became available online today, and as I suspected, it's a fiasco.

The tech installed two S-cards in the THD. I have the Digital Preferred package at $66.98, I'm getting charged $1.50 for the additional CableCARD (which is fine), but I have a Digital Access fee of $5.99 which I assume is included in my digital tier package and thus an incorrect charge, right?
Neenahboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #3896
cas929

Hello, all, longtime reader, first time poster....

I live in Washington, D.C., and I was told by two different CSRs (for whatever that's worth) that I can just pick up a Cable card from their main office, which is near my home. It seems like that would be a great option, considering the poor experiences that people have had with installers. I've held off on getting a TiVo, despite hating the Motorola DVR, because I am so afraid of the horror stories here.

However, the ability to self-install doesn't seem to match the other experiences reflected on this thread. Is there any one else who lives in Washington D.C (as opposed to ithe metropolitan area) who was able to self-install?
cas929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #3897
monroe

Puzzled

So I just ordered my new TIVOHD and wanted to make sure I had EVERYTHING ready for it when it gets here. Everything on Comcast's website and FAQ's state that professional installation is required. So I called Comcast about the Cable cards. I'm told I can just go right into my local office an pick them up, and that they would be about $1.91 a month for both cards.

I go into my local office, and take a number and sit down. I spend about 15 minutes marveling at how much it felt like I was at my local DMV. When my number comes up, I put on my MOST friendly face and greet my CSR!

I enquire if I am able to get cable cards here at the office. She say's yes, how many? I saw I only need one if they have any M-Cards available? She checks, but no. I ask if another time would be better? Maybe another office? Again, no we're not sure when we'll be getting those in stock. OK, then I guess I need 2 then for my Tivo. I ask how much is that, is it $1.91 per month? She looks surprised and answers "No, they're free."

She does her thing, scans the barcodes of the 2 cable cards, and types something into her computer. She then checks my ID, and then hands me 2 cable cards along with an equipment receipt that says right on it $0, $0 monthly.

SWEET!

So now I'm back home with my free cable cards, and will wait for my Tivo to be delivered.

I'm just a little confused because EVERYTHING on Comcasts website stated PROFESSIONAL INSTALL REQUIRED. The website also says the 1st card is free, but there is a charge for additional cards on the same outlet. My phone call to a regional Comcast Rep then contradicts this by telling my I can pick up the cards and install them myself, but yes, I will receive a monthly charge for both cards. Then finally at the Comcast center in person, I'm given the cards and told they're both FREE. Heads kind of spinning so I'm not sure what to expect to see when I get my first bill!

Chris

Last edited by monroe : 10-12-2007 at 04:56 PM.
monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #3898
johnnylundy

I'm wondering if her scanning the cards, entered the cards' serial and data numbers into their system, so that when you call it will be on the CSR's screen right in front of them linked to your account.

Nah, that would make too much sense.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #3899
johnnylundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy
The latest bill became available online today, and as I suspected, it's a fiasco.

The tech installed two S-cards in the THD. I have the Digital Preferred package at $66.98, I'm getting charged $1.50 for the additional CableCARD (which is fine), but I have a Digital Access fee of $5.99 which I assume is included in my digital tier package and thus an incorrect charge, right?
None of my items are labeled exactly as "digital access fee", but most likely it's an additional outlet fee - that's what I got added by mistake and had to use the online chat to get removed. In my case the online CSR just immediately removed it, so they must get hundreds of calls/chats about these charges every day. She didn't even question it.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #3900
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylundy
None of my items are labeled exactly as "digital access fee", but most likely it's an additional outlet fee - that's what I got added by mistake and had to use the online chat to get removed. In my case the online CSR just immediately removed it, so they must get hundreds of calls/chats about these charges every day. She didn't even question it.
Excellent. I've put a call in to the Executive Care rep I deal with, so we'll see what she says. There are tons of other problems with the bill (related to her giving me service credits to compensate for the saga), so that should be a fun conversation.
Neenahboy is offline   Reply With Quote