TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #3841
ji0005

Quote:
Originally Posted by murryamorris

They did ask today if it might be the Tivo. Since I thought they might say this, I had taken the first one back to Costco on Friday and swapped for another, knowing it was Comcast and not the unit but what the heck.
I kind of started to wonder the same thing about mine... I just kept thinking, "how can it be this hard?!?" But sure enough, with the right combination of techs customer service reps, they aligned the stars and got it to work.
ji0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #3842
smartleydunn

Comcastupid

Where to start? 'Cause i'm certainly not finished.

Bought a TivoHD on Tuesday called Comcast to arrange Cable Cards got an appointment for Thursday between 1 and 5. Took the afternoon off work, sat around and waited for the tech who showed up at my house at 4:30 only to tell me he didn't have any Cable Cards, and he tells me to call and reschedule.

I reschedule for Saturday between 1-5, blow my entire Saturday waiting for the technicians, actually got a Supervisor and a tech. The tech who had been assigned my call had never installed a Cable Card, so his Supervisor came with to "show him how it's done".

I asked the guy if he had Multistream or Single stream cards and he told me there was no such thing as a Multistream card. So, i had to show him the TIVO literature and he was like "Oh, we have those, but, I don't think they'll work in the TIVOs" and then went on a rant about how much he hates "these things".

I handed the guy the Cable Card Installation Instructions as soon as he walked in the door, which he of course "didn't need, because he does these Tivos all the time". First thing he does is stick both cards in both slots simultaneously, which is contrary to the TIVO instructions which clearly state "Complete the first installation before starting the second."

Of course the TIVO starts throwing errors, all of which are saying to contact the cable company (Error Code 161-1), but, since i have two technicians from Comcast here including a Supervisor, one would think they'll be able to sort it. (I can dream can't i).

Called TIVO Tech Support while the Comcast technicians were here and they told me the cards needed to be hit by the cable company, the cable company said the cards can't be hit unless they're in the machine, but, they finally agreed to do it. After the cable company we finally got to a pairing screen, but, it was showing all zeros for Host, etc.

The TIVO guy was blaming it on the cable company saying the cards weren't properly set-up, the Comcast guy of course said it was a defective TIVO. After 2 calls to TIVO (25 minutes on hold each time) and 2 calls to Comcast (40 minutes on hold each time). I finally asked the guy if he could leave me the cards, and I would go and exchange the TIVO (knowing full well it wasn't the TIVO), but, i couldn't argue unless i tried.

Got the new TIVO home and plugged it in and began set-up again, tried to figure out which channel lineup I had, which isn't clear so called Comcast and waited on hold again for 40 minutes (that makes a total of two hours on hold and at this point it's 8 p.m.) Reception was fuzzy, but, discovered that the cable guy had unplugged my line amplifier...GENIUS!

Finally, got through to someone at Comcast, and unloaded my frustration on the poor girl, who turned out to be the only person I spoke to at Comcast in 4 days who seemed like she actually cared about the customer, and actually kind of knew what she was talking about... I think? She was also the only person at Comcast who didn't offer the "we don't support TIVO" line, which i find hilarious since I've been waiting for 2+ years for the Comcast/TIVO DVR.

She asked if I have a Tivo HD and when i said i do, she said "I'll bet they didn't bring the right cards", and informed me that the Tivo HD requires a different kind of Cable Card, then the Cable Cards that they have. (is this accurate?)

So, she tells me we will need to schedule another appointment, and of course the first available appointment is next Thursday the 11th. I asked her if i could go to Comcast and pick up the correct cards and she said she wasn't sure but, i could try going there on Monday.

So, back to the Comcast Motorola cable box until i figure out what's next. I plan to go to Comcast tomorrow to see if i can pick up a Multistream card or the correct Single Stream cards, provided that there actually is a difference between the cable cards i have.
smartleydunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #3843
johnnylundy

Quote:
I handed the guy the Cable Card Installation Instructions as soon as he walked in the door, which he of course "didn't need, because he does these Tivos all the time". First thing he does is stick both cards in both slots simultaneously, which is contrary to the TIVO instructions which clearly state "Complete the first installation before starting the second."
These installers make me sick.

As Will Rogers said, "It ain't what people don't know - it's that so much of what they DO know ain't so."

I got the exact same attitude - they don't know how to install them, don't want to read the explicit TiVo instructions, and then complain that they "hate these things."
johnnylundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #3844
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartleydunn
She asked if I have a Tivo HD and when i said i do, she said "I'll bet they didn't bring the right cards", and informed me that the Tivo HD requires a different kind of Cable Card, then the Cable Cards that they have. (is this accurate?)
No, that's not true. The TiVoHD can use one multistream card (M-card), but also works fine with two single stream cards (S-cards). So there's no "wrong" CableCARD one might try to use (well, except for a broken one).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dswallow : 10-07-2007 at 10:49 AM.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #3845
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
First thing he does is stick both cards in both slots simultaneously, which is contrary to the TIVO instructions which clearly state "Complete the first installation before starting the second."
The instructions are written that way to simplify the collection of data that has to be given to the cable company... i.e., to ensure the installer provides the right serial number and CableCARD/Host ID info for each card. There's nothing inherently bad about doing both cards at once as long as you ensure you know which serial number goes with which slot/CableCARD ID/Host ID, etc.

I've done it both way without problems.

There's been a couple things worth noting that've occurred to me...

A firmware update may take place but you may not see notification that it's happening unless you go back out to the main screen and come back into the CableCARD settings screens. Until that firmware update completes, things behave strangely. There's no progress information about the update. You want to just leave the cards alone until it finishes. When I've gone through this, it's taken as long as half an hour to finish. As I have heard from others, it can take longer on some cable systems; and, of course, it may never complete (which is bad).

With the TiVoHD I've also had cases where both CableCARDs were full authorized and all indications from the onscreen diagnostic info were that the cards were properly authorized and were decoding the channels, but every channel was black. What ultimately helped here was simply rebooting the unit; when it came back up everything was authorized and decrypting properly.

Now you said the host ID info was all zeroes; that's definitely a problem, and since the host ID info is from the CableCARD host device, not from the CableCARD, I might actually be inclined to consider the problem may be the TiVoHD... though it could still be a bad CableCARD. How'd that turn out when you got a new TiVoHD unit to try? Did the cards they left now show a host ID number with the new receiver?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #3846
smartleydunn

CableCard not in normal operation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
A firmware update may take place but you may not see notification that it's happening unless you go back out to the main screen and come back into the CableCARD settings screens. Until that firmware update completes, things behave strangely. There's no progress information about the update. You want to just leave the cards alone until it finishes. When I've gone through this, it's taken as long as half an hour to finish. As I have heard from others, it can take longer on some cable systems; and, of course, it may never complete (which is bad).

With the TiVoHD I've also had cases where both CableCARDs were full authorized and all indications from the onscreen diagnostic info were that the cards were properly authorized and were decoding the channels, but every channel was black. What ultimately helped here was simply rebooting the unit; when it came back up everything was authorized and decrypting properly.

Now you said the host ID info was all zeroes; that's definitely a problem, and since the host ID info is from the CableCARD host device, not from the CableCARD, I might actually be inclined to consider the problem may be the TiVoHD... though it could still be a bad CableCARD. How'd that turn out when you got a new TiVoHD unit to try? Did the cards they left now show a host ID number with the new receiver?
Thank you for your reply and insight.

One of the problems was the installers lack of patience.. he just kept putting cards in, pulling them out. When i was on the phone with TIVO and telling them of the 161-1 error code, the installer said he hadn't seen any codes. While the TIVO tech support was asking me to restart the unit, the Comcast guy elected to disconnect the coax from the back of the unit to plug into the old cable box to take some line readings and kept swapping cards.

I did go and exchange the TIVO, and when I inserted the cable card(s) (the 2 that are listed on my account) and one of them made it to the pairing screen but is still showing all zeroes and the other one throw errors saying "CableCard not in normal operation"

Also, I called Comcast again this morning and spoke to a supervisor and she also said that there was a specific type of Cable Card for the Tivo HD, which I don't buy either... I also informed her that if someone from Comcast wasn't reading these forums, they should be.

I did just get a technician at TIVO who confirmed that there is no such things as a special CableCard and she has just told me she's going to use the "Bat Phone" to try and get this resolved and call me back. She said she knows exactly what the problem is, but, needs to explain it to Comcast so they'll understand, I'm assuming she means one syllable at a time.

5 days and counting.

Last edited by smartleydunn : 10-07-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #3847
abaraff

After reading so many horror stories on this thread, I thought I would report on my positive Tivo HD CableCard installation yesterday morning in Portland, Oregon. Some notes...

If I hadn't already activated Tivo service, he said we'd have been rescheduling the appointment.

I asked if he does a lot of Tivo installs. He said he does because he's the only installer that seems to be able to get them to work. Same goes for HTPC's with CableCards. I asked if he needed to see the CableCard installation sheet that came with Tivo and he declined.

I asked the installer if he brought M cards or S cards. He said they only give him S cards. He brought at least 4 of them that I saw.

He installed the first CableCard, then called to pair them. He verified that it was working by going to channel 127 - "Weatherscan Local".

He installed the 2nd CableCard, then called to pair them. This one was not working when he went to channel 127. He called in and told the office that the 2nd card was cooked. When I asked what percentage of the cards are bad, he said that if the office sends 2 "cold hits" it "cooks" the CableCards. Not sure what that means, but that was the terminology he used. He installed a 3rd card in the 2nd slot, called in and it worked fine.

When I originally scheduled the appointment, it had been for the Comcast DVR, which they said required the Digital Preferred Plus package. A day or two later, I'd called back to change it to a CableCard install and the Digital Classic package. The workorder that the installer had still showed Preferred Plus. The installer had me make the call to change this after he left, which was fine with me.

Total time was less than 45 minutes and this was new cable TV service. This installer definitely knew what he was doing.
abaraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #3848
ji0005

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaraff
After reading so many horror stories on this thread, I thought I would report on my positive Tivo HD CableCard installation yesterday morning in Portland, Oregon. Some notes...
It is nice to hear a positive account of things now and then There is clearly a training problem within comcast, and im sure the techs that know what they are doing are equally frustrated by the mess that often needs to be waded through. The tech that finally got mine going kept asking for a specific person when he called in because he knew that most of the people didn't have a clue.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #3849
smartleydunn

Makin' progress... it's hard work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji0005
There is clearly a training problem within comcast, and im sure the techs that know what they are doing are equally frustrated by the mess that often needs to be waded through.
Well after five days of calling Comcast, and finally calling in with a TIVO support person on the call, the Comcast person informed us there is a CableCard team and she could not transfer me, but, would have to have them call me, and promised a call back within two hours. Interesting thing being I have probably talked to 10-12 people from Comcast in the past 3-4 days and this was the first I've heard of a "CableCard team". Unbelievably, I got a call back within an hour from a guy named Phineas, who was incredibly helpful, knowledgeable and even optimistic that he would be able to get me sorted by the end of the call.

Ultimately, he determined that both CableCards are bad, and with a little bit of research tracking the serial #'s discovered they both had previously been on another account with a customer who had given up and gone back to a Comcast box because of the problems he was having with CableCards. He had no idea why these cards were sent out to another account, and told me he has authorized an exchange of cards for me at the North Ave. Comcast office, then gave me his team's phone number and told me he starts at noon tomorrow and if I don't hear from him by 1 p.m. to call and leave a message for him.

Oh, and he confirmed that there is no such thing as a "special CableCard" for the TIVO HD and apologized for the troubles... and it seemed a little more sincere then the recorded voice that apologizes every 20 seconds while you're on hold with Comcast.

More tomorrow... *fingers crossed*

Last edited by smartleydunn : 10-07-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #3850
ji0005

Quote:
Well after five days of calling Comcast, and finally calling in with a TIVO support person on the call, the Comcast person informed us there is a CableCard team and she could not transfer me, but, would have to have them call me, and promised a call back within two hours. Interesting thing being I have probably talked to 10-12 people from Comcast in the past 3-4 days and this was the first I've heard of a "CableCard team". Unbelievably, I got a call back within an hour from a guy named Phineas, who was incredibly helpful, knowledgeable and even optimistic that he would be able to get me sorted by the end of the call.
I worked with that same guy for like 5 hours last Saturday (i thought it was Thineas.. but anyway). He was very confident that we would get my issue resolved within 20 minutes, but ultimately decided my card was bad. He said there is one guy there that is better than him, but was pretty confident in his skills... and I think he knew what he was doing but my card somehow was hosed.

Ultimatley I had a tech come out with new cards (long story) but he made sure I knew not to let them feed me some "the channels will come in soon" line as they walked out my door.

You are correct that you can't get transfered to them and instead need to be put in the 4 hour call back queue for the Tinley Park group, as has been noted earlier in the thread. For chicago area folks at least...
Old 10-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #3851
gnetwerker
ex ReplayTVer

Just had a pretty positive install, here in 97212 (Portland, OR). Installs are scheduling about 7-10 days out -- I called the day my TiVo came, about 10 days ago. I had it hooked up and once thru guided setup. I had recorded a few SD shows on it, etc.

Installer (contractor) "Kevin" came a little after the appointment window, but had kept me up-to-date with ETA all afternoon. He said he had done 6 or 7 cablecard installs over the last month, and most of them had gone well. He said the first guy he worked with knew more than he or anyone at Comcast, had been through all the docs, and basically taught him how to do it -- he was very grateful (prob. someone from here!)

He slipped the first card in, and then called his dispatch. They put him on hold for 20+ mins, then told him that he had to call Comcast. He said that they had been able to do CC pairing before, but that apparently Comcast had tightened things up with CCs lately. After another 20 mins on hold at Comcast, we had a CC screen, but no channels. This situation persisted for about an hour, through several (many) calls back and forth.

During this time we got Ch 1-99 up and running, but not Ch 127 (or anything over 100), which is their apparent test case. Nothing they did seemed to help.

After about 1.5 hours, he got someone ("Kim") who knew what she was doing. He pulled the first card, re-installed it, and they went through the setup from scratch. Apparently the first CSA had done something (don't know what) boneheaded and screwed the setup. He opined that many of the "bad" cable cards were probably this.

After another 20 mins everything was set up and working hunky-dorey. I am now 95% done with my program info load (97% now) and by the time this sentence is done I'll have the final test. We did look at some HD channels under the test screen and they looked great -- no blockiness/de-rez or anything.

OK, so Comcast in general wasted a couple hours of my time (and their installer's), but it wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared reading this forum. The installer wasn't a rocket scientist but was very customer-oriented, polite, and patient. His challenge was mostly finding a competent Customer Service Agent back at Comcast (a pain we can all feel, I guess).

Looking at Discovery Channel HD now on my (somewhat crappy, but ...) InFocus 61md10, and I'm a happy guy (more importantly, I have a happy wife).
gnetwerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #3852
johnnylundy

One has to wonder why the CSRs that the installers call are having to put them on hold. Can there be THAT many premise techs calling in at the same time?

My installer didn't have any delay getting ahold of his people. He was using a cell and a handheld radio to talk to two different people. He read the work order #, which gave them my account screen, and then he read off the 3 numbers that the TiVo gives for each card.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #3853
smartleydunn

Getting Closer in Chicago

So, went to Comcast on North Ave. this morning and lo and behold they had a whole tray of brand new shiny M-Cards, got them to give me two just in case; brought them home, popped one in and immediately got pairing information with digits other than zeros.

Then of course called Comcast and the CSR I got on the phone had no idea how to take the information from me, so I tried to walk her through the set-up process. (Think I may charge Comcast for training their technicians).

Asked to speak to a Supervisor just so i could vent, inform them of what a debacle this experience has been thus far, and demand service and a credit on my account. She offered to have one call me back, I told her I have three different requests in for a Supervisor to call me back dating back to last Thursday and no one has ever called me back.

The Supervisor was extremely apologetic and gave me credit for one month's service which is $175 + a promo rate on my internet service.

Now standing by waiting for a call back from their specialist to help me pair the card...and we'll see where it goes from there...

Still no TIVO, but, getting closer...
Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #3854
Todd H

What are you guys paying for CableCard rates? I just picked up an S3 yesterday, and my local Comcast is telling me $11.95/card!!! "It's not for the card, but the service you get with the card." This was confirmed over the phone to 1-800-COMCAST, and a trip to the local office in Manassas.

Prince William County, northern VA, BTW.

There's no way I'm paying that. If that's the cost, cable is getting cancelled altogether. Utter BS!

Think about this- if I had two Tivos and another cablecard ready set in the house, I'd pay $60/mo extra for the privilege of watching these.
Todd H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #3855
johnnylundy

The first card is free, and the second one is $1.95 a month.

The $11.95 is for something else, most likely upgrade to digital or upgrade to HD channels. And it isn't per card.

Whomever you spoke to is incorrect.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #3856
Todd H

I'll have to keep digging, then. I confirmed with two separate people. And, I already have, and paying for, the Digital and HD service.

This is frustrating. I'm *this* close to returning the S3, cancelling cable, and moving to Directv.
Todd H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #3857
PooperScooper

Well, after the TivoHD dropped to $250 and eSata is working I decided to buy one. Comcast is coming Monday (15th) morning, hopefully. The price I was quoted was $2.75 per card with $23.95 and $11.95 installation. I mentioned that the first cable card should be free and she said not until they get back my DVR. I just hope I get a tech that will follow the directions from the Tivo box. Maybe he'll let me do it and just call the office to get the card data into the system. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

larry
PooperScooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #3858
PHeadland

Update on my experience in sunny San Mateo (SF Bay Area): my bill hasn't changed at all as a result for switching out my old digital cable box for a single M CableCard in my new TiVo HD. ANd I have all the HD channels I expected to have. So, it is definitely possible to switch to TiVo + CableCard, have an easy + painless installation first time, and not get screwed for extra charges.
PHeadland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #3859
ThatBozGuy

Strike one,San Jose, 95129

Scheduled through comcast.com chat last tuesday for a monday appointment between 12 and 4. Chat helper knew what I needed for the tivo asked if I wanted an M card or 2 s cards and said the truck roll was going to be 18.95.

3:30 no show call comcast, automated system triggers appointment confirmation menu, choose 2 to talk to person to confirm my appointment, never answers, system eventually says were sorry please call back, 4 calls later still havent talked to anyone.

Land line phone, not the one listed on the account, shows one odd call at 10 am, I call the number and ask if they are a cable contractor, yes yes they are. I was scheduled today, yes between 10 and 2, um no. Hmm must be a time zone mistake maybe. But I was here all day, "well the installer says he was there, knocked no one answered and made a note that we did not have our dog put away so he could not get to the door to ring the bell"

Um no dog, no one came even onto our street, (live on a culdesac) I was working in the drive on a project inches away from all of my doors and the big numbers marking my address and saw all traffic all day.

"I will have a supervisor call back to reschedule"

And so it begins.

PS. To add salt to the wound, I got a message from tivo last week asking if I wanted to come in and do a new product study and had to put no to these times because of my install. Got passed over because I wasnt available when they needed me. GRRR this doesnt bode well.
ThatBozGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:23 PM   #3860
diskus

As a follow up to my successful install, I just got back from returning my DVR to the local office. I lost my DVR fee, my additional outlet fee ( I had 2 for a while) and my HD fee. One cable card ( M-card) now included in the price of my package no other charges. Feels good, and the TIVO is a breath of fresh air to add the most important fact.

LOS gatos CA
diskus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #3861
smartleydunn

Phineastic in Chicago (was Comcastupid)

Following up on my saga in Chicago, FINALLY sorted!!!

Phineas (Advanced Support in Chicago) called me at 12:30 p.m., we spent about 3 hours total on the phone working to get the M-Card paired but, it was still hanging on the Acquiring Channels screen. After a couple of resets and a couple of restarts, ultimately we got it to the point where the card was paired, and then one final restart and the channels started to come in.

We both took a break from around 4-6, he called me back at 6:30 to check in and at that point i was getting everything except premium channels, he said he knew how to fix that and within minutes he had them all turned on for me, and also promo'd me Showtime and Movie Channel for a year for my troubles and also confirmed the one month's credit (about $175) and knocking down my Internet to the $29.99 promo rate for 6 months which saves me about another $200.

So, finally!!!

He told me while we were on the phone that I had "lit up Comcast", because he was getting emails from multiple people specifically about my case checking in to see if my issues had been resolved. As of now, I am a happy camper.

I am going to revisit this nightmare one last time in writing a long letter to Comcast corporate outlining everything and praising Phineas for his excellent customer service, and of course I'm sure he'll probably be reprimanded for spending so long on the phone with me.

N.P. TNTHD
Old 10-08-2007, 11:17 PM   #3862
murryamorris

Monday 10/8 finally got my second Tivo up and running with service call. My older unit is the S3 (since 12/06). New unit is Tivo HD. Basically had 4 calls after I picked up a couple of S cards. All but one of the 4 calls the CSR was clueless.

I had a bad feeling when the tech came today since he told me flat out he had only done one Tivo and didn't know a lot about CC's. I asked if he brought extra CC's and he said he had 2. I asked if they were M cards and he said he wasn't sure. He called dispatch to check (my Tivo was in the middle of the fall update reboot). I heard the woman on the phone say she wasn't sure (how can they not know?) I looked at the cards and they both said M-card on them.

At least the guy was nice and knew a good dispatcher to call so he made another call and we pulled the 2 S cards that never worked. Put one M card in, his dispatch hit the card and in 10 seconds we had both tuners showing stations. I was already happy.

We could only get basic stations though so he called another dispatcher (same woman as the first call). She hit it again but with the wrong signal and hosed it. He called the other guy again after that, who hit it with the correct lineup signal and...all channels working.

We talked a while about how the people on the other end make the difference in the card installs. He said it basically comes down to how they send the signals. If they do it wrong, it screws up the cards and they have to reset everything and start over (which they don't seem to always do).

The good thing is, I now have one M CC in the HD unit and he took away the 2 cards so the charge is less per month. If I could do that for my S3, I'd save a bit more.

I'm pretty happy now even though it took a lot of time to get it going. Anyone having troubles, just keep on them and try for the M card if you can, it's just one less card they have to pair.
murryamorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:25 AM   #3863
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...writing a long letter to Comcast corporate outlining everything and praising Phineas for his excellent customer service, and of course I'm sure he'll probably be reprimanded for spending so long on the phone with me.
Well, you don't have to be specific as to how long it took him. But do praise him in your letter. We need more of those Comcast employees willing to go the extra mile to get things done. Thanks for the happy ending to your story.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #3864
MoranJ2000

My experience with Comcast (in Naples, FL) has been nothing short of a travesty. First off, they insist on a service call for CableCard installs (at $9.99 per card), and then send techs who are clueless about CableCards if not openly scornful of them.

The phone reps aren't much better. The vast majority of the ones I've dealt with, and I've dealt with well over a dozen in the past year, know little about how to properly activate and/or set up CCs for billing. I've had many CSRs insist that their CCs are only compatible with teevees, not TiVos.

By far the worst experience has been with billing. Either out of malice or ignorance my local Comcast office has always insisted on charging me as if each card was a separate and distinct TV set. That means $13.90 for digital and another $13.90 for HD on a single TiVo box. That's been going on since October 20606 when I got my Series 3. M-Cards? They don't know anything about them.

When I added an THD in August and they began to quadruple charge me, I finally had had enough. I complained to a escalating level of supervisors until I finally found one that was knowledgeable and competent, someone that understood the issue and was willing to try and fix it. Even so, the billing changes she made to my account were often spit out of the system days later, resulting in continued billing errors and/or loss of certain channels (which of course resulted in more calls).

After three billing cycles I *think* it had finally all been worked out where I am not paying for duplicate services but only a nominal extra fee ($1.50 supposedly) for each additional CC. I won't know for sure until I see my next printed invoice in about two weeks.

All I can say to anyone that is having issues with Comcast is that the only way to get satisfaction is to be on them like a fly on you-know-what, for days, weeks, months, if necessary. Threaten to switch to satellite if necessary (I did-- in my case back to DTV) and make it a point to tell them there's no way in hell you're ever going to sign up for their digital phone service either, which they're pushing big time these days.

Honestly, Comcast should be on their knees thanking TiVo, because it's the only reason I (and I expect many others) remain a Comcast customer. That said, after what Comcast put me through, if FiOS came to town tomorrow I would switch in less time than it took me to type this post.

I almost forgot-- I even managed to get a retroactive credit back to October 06 for being double billed on my original S3. I spent hours on the phone with countless people to get it, but I finally did.

Again, moral of the story-- never get off Comcast's back.
MoranJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #3865
tmesser

Finally some progress in Chicago western suburbs

Executive Care called me back last Wednesday. They scheduled a tech for today (Tuesday) between 8am and noon. They probably could have had one here sooner if I hadn't made plans to be out of town Thursday and Friday, and Saturday was not really an option because the woman with whom I spoke wanted to follow up with me at a time her office was open.

Two techs showed up at 11:15 this morning. Inserted CableCARD into slot 2 (slot 1 already had a card from previous appointments), no 161-1 error or anything, tech calls dispatch to activate. Unfortunately, my TiVo had reverted to single-tuner mode because I'd been operating with only one CableCARD, so I couldn't really verify anything until after I repeated Guided Setup... which I didn't want the techs to hang around for. Sure enough, after I repeated Guided Setup, I was not receiving any of my premium channels on the second tuner. Host validation status was "Unknown 03."

Called the toll-free number, asked to speak to a CableCARD specialist. "There aren't any CableCARD specialists in this office, they're all in Tinley Park, but I will submit your information to them and they will call you back." Precisely the response I was hoping for. 90 minutes later, I got a call from Tinley Park, and it turned out the data field had been entered incorrectly. Validation came through, and now I get all my premiums.

Waiting for that Executive Care followup call, but I may have to call them. We still need to discuss billing, because I've been dinged for two installation fees ($15.99 and $23.99) and two "change service additional outlet" fees ($17.89 each), and I'll be damned if I pay for any of that.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #3866
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmesser
Two techs showed up at 11:15 this morning. Inserted CableCARD into slot 2 (slot 1 already had a card from previous appointments), no 161-1 error or anything, tech calls dispatch to activate. Unfortunately, my TiVo had reverted to single-tuner mode because I'd been operating with only one CableCARD, so I couldn't really verify anything until after I repeated Guided Setup... which I didn't want the techs to hang around for. Sure enough, after I repeated Guided Setup, I was not receiving any of my premium channels on the second tuner. Host validation status was "Unknown 03."
You don't need to run guided setup to verify that; you use the CableCARD "Test Channels" menu item and run through the channels you're supposed to receive for each CableCARD.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 AM   #3867
raid123

After reading all these messages, I was a little nervous about getting a CableCard from Comcast. When I called 800-COMCAST, the representative said I could just walk into my local Redmond, WA office and pick up the cards. However, she had no idea what an M-Card was and insisted I needed two cards for two streams.

So I walked into the Redmond office, and they were on top of things. They asked me if it was for Tivo, and when I asked for the M-Card, they knew exactly what it was. Within 10 minutes I walked out with my Comcast CableCard and headed home. I followed the CableCard setup guide that came with my Tivo, called up 800-COMCAST customer support for the pairing, and within 5 minutes of talking with the representative, I was completely set up.

Just wanted to say that while there may be many horror stories for CableCard setup, it couldn't have gone smoother for me. I was set up within the timespan of an hour. Kudos to Comcast!
raid123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:23 AM   #3868
tmesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
You don't need to run guided setup to verify that; you use the CableCARD "Test Channels" menu item and run through the channels you're supposed to receive for each CableCARD.
Oops. I had parsed it as "Test Channels = Channel Scan = not necessary." Guess I didn't read the installation sheet closely enough... noted for the future. Thanks!
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour

Last edited by tmesser : 10-10-2007 at 05:10 PM.
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:48 AM   #3869
oldnacl

I just received my second months bill from Comcast since I had the CCs installed in my TiVoHD. The first bill still included the monthly charge for the SA 8300 HD that I'd been using but I phoned and they said I was going to be billed $4.00 for the 2 CCs and that was it (in adddition to my premium digital service which was already on the bill and hasn't changed)
I mailed the money and this month got a bill that indicated they didn't get paid for the last month service (they did and I have the canceled check to prove it) and a CREDIT for $20. I have no idea what that is, unless it's for the unused portion of monthly advance charge for the 8300.
I called again and they confirmed that they did get the last months check and I actually had a credit balance. So, the bottom line is, unless something blows up this month, that I'm getting the CCs for $2 each/month and no additional charges. The Tivo is my only "outlet" although I have a basic digital STB that I requested for on demand programming. When I picked it up, I questioned whether the STB would be charged as an "additional outlet" because I wanted it only for on demand programming and the rep assured me it was no charge. It looks like she was correct.
I'm just hoping this lasts for more than a few months!
oldnacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 AM   #3870
cjchaps

So I called Comcast yesterday and asked about how much the mcard is. The CSR said it would be $5.95 for the multi-card since it's like two cards. I didn't feel like arguing at the time so I ended the call.

Today I am planning to drop in to one of the comcast local offices and see if I can pick up an m-card myself. When I pick it up I am going to ask about billing. I remember seeing something about a special billing code to tell them to use for the Tivo but I have been looking for it the past hour and haven't been able to find it. Do you still need to tell comcast to use a special code so they don't charge you more for mcards? If so what is the code?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I think I found it - you tell them T3DDVRCARDS for the m-card right?

Last edited by cjchaps : 10-10-2007 at 10:02 AM.
cjchaps is offline   Reply With Quote