TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #3811
swankboy

Two Installers is the Trick

This morning not one, but two installers showed up. In two separate vans. After about an hour they got both cards up and running. I'm pleased and frankly shocked.
swankboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #3812
wiedmann

Succesful install

I called Comcast last Friday, they set up an appointment for this Monday. The tech showed up with a trainee and about 4 M-cards. He installed one in my Tivo HD, we waited for about 30 minutes for the "line-up" at the dispatcher, then gave them the information. Despite getting the second choice dispatcher back at the office, the cablecard was working about 10 minutes later.

I guess it isn't always a nightmare. I feel lucky not to have had to go through the pain that some have described here.
wiedmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #3813
johnnylundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiedmann
I guess it isn't always a nightmare. I feel lucky not to have had to go through the pain that some have described here.
I think it's the cable companies' "installers" that have made it seem as if there are "problems" with the cards. If you look at the TiVo screen for CableCARDs, it is a work of art how they step you through the procedure on-screen.

But the "installers" come out with not only ignorance, but an attitude, since they have all told each other that the cards are "nothing but trouble." The stories you hear about an installer trying six different cards don't make any sense unless it's due to his ignorance about how to install them. If he's doing the same thing wrong six times, obviously he's going to think all six cards are "bad" even though the TiVo recognized the cards and even showed a picture of the card in the correct slot.

They can't take 30 seconds to read the one page of instructions?
johnnylundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #3814
thuangu

New proud owner of TiVo HD. Call Comcast to order a M-card and the tech show up yesterday with two S-Card. Installation was a fast and trouble-free. I am only have a basic channel and everything seem to be working ok. The only problem is sign-on to online account and discover that Thaey charge me for the second outlet. Call them to explain and they said it will remove by the next billing cyle. I guess i have to wait and see.
thuangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #3815
johnnylundy

Quote:
The only problem is sign-on to online account and discover that Thaey charge me for the second outlet
I'll have to check my bill - I would hope they would realize that an M-card would not be a second outlet, so neither should a second S-card be.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #3816
ScorpioATL

Update on my Atlanta install:

After a little more than a month of bring told there were no cards available and having appointments canceled an hour *after* their appointment window I finally got my M-card for my TivoHD.

Installer (contractor) arrived with my instructions to have 2 M-cards or 4 S-cards. Soon as he walked in he handed me the 2 Motorola M-cards and said he's never done a Tivo or a CC install before. Fortunately I had this website and the instruction sheet in hand. We pop in card one, go through the process, talk to Tech Support to enter in all the details. They hit the card, see the card but Tivo never recognizes it as authorized.

I reboot the Tivo (was doing this wierd thing of being a black background for everything and even when trying to play previously recorded shows would just show a black screen and immediately pop up the "keep or delete" message like it would if I had recorded the show when cable was out.

Tried with the other card and got success! Made sure the digital channels were there through the top of my programming tier. Installer leaves way after when he was supposed to be off work.

However, now I notice that every other HD channel or so has BAD pixelization and macroblocking going on. Audio cuts in and out as a result. Its odd, ABC-HD is bad, NBC-HD is good, National Geographic is bad, UPN is good, etc etc. I can't figure out rhyme or reason why some will be good and others will be bad. Will try to test more tonight after reading here about checking for signal strengths and stuff.

So very disappointed to finally have my TivoHD be working for digital after having it a month (using it as an standard recorder in the meantime) and now that I have it, have shows unwatchable because of the pixelization.
ScorpioATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #3817
ji0005

I am about to throw my tivo out the window. Took the day off work... watched a comcast truck pull up at 12:45 for my 1-5pm window.. got a call at 12:46 confirming that 12:45 - 1:45 was an ok time frame. Hit 1... was told it was confirmed.. blah blah blah... 1:30.. the guy drives away. Now they are saying I cancelled. COMPLETE BS! The lady asks, "why did you wait untl 1:45 to call us?" BECAUSE THAT WAS THE END OF THE STATED TIMEFRAME!?!?!

update: contacted comcast spokeswoman for the area. she helped me once before. Hopefully she can get the wheels turning again. All I want is a cablecard.. err.. a WORKING cablecard

update2: Well at least I knew who to contact. I have had a few calls and it seems that they will be getting a tech out here today still. The saga is far from over, but at least things are in motion again.

update3: Tech Came (contractor)... and SHOCKER didnt have a cable card. I now have a person im working with at executive care.

Last edited by ji0005 : 10-04-2007 at 06:33 PM.
ji0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #3818
johnnylundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioATL
Installer (contractor) arrived with my instructions to have 2 M-cards or 4 S-cards. Soon as he walked in he handed me the 2 Motorola M-cards and said he's never done a Tivo or a CC install before.
LOL - are there ANY who have done one before?
Quote:
Tried with the other card and got success! Made sure the digital channels were there through the top of my programming tier.
Did you do anything differently with the second card? I assume it's in Slot 1, as many people have noticed problems with Slot 2.
Quote:
However, now I notice that every other HD channel or so has BAD pixelization and macroblocking going on. Audio cuts in and out as a result. Its odd, ABC-HD is bad, NBC-HD is good, National Geographic is bad, UPN is good, etc etc. I can't figure out rhyme or reason why some will be good and others will be bad. Will try to test more tonight after reading here about checking for signal strengths and stuff.
Yeah - next step as you say is to check the signal strengths. Go to the Settings/Channels and choose Signal strength. Give each one a few seconds to come up with the Peak value. See if there is a correlation between lower values and disrupted signals. I got 93% on a few Encore channels, and 97-100% on everything else.

And remove splitters to make sure they aren't the problem.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #3819
ScorpioATL

The card was inserted the same way, same slot... not sure why there was success with the second one and not the first but as long as its validated now, not going to complain too much.

As for the signal strength, just tested all of my HD channels (I haven't checked regular digital cable since my main pain was my ABC HD channel not coming in... It was embarassing to try to show my friend why I am so hot on HD when I try to show him all the HD programming all I tried to show was badly blocky.

What I found... (Again, this is Atlanta Midtown area)

Most had signal strengths in the 90's. a couple of 80's (without blocking)

However:

803 ABC
807 TBS
844 HDT
849 GOLFVS
857 FOODHD
859 HDTVD

All had signal strengths in the 50's and the big macroblocking. On the phone with comcast now to see when they can come take a look at it. Only splitter I have coming to my part of the house (Triplex) is the one thats split to send a line to my cable modem in another room. That split is outside of the house and I remember when they cut and ran the line to my bedroom for the cable modem.
ScorpioATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:02 PM   #3820
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji0005
...watched a comcast truck pull up at 12:45 for my 1-5pm window.. got a call at 12:46 confirming that 12:45 - 1:45 was an ok time frame. Hit 1... was told it was confirmed.. blah blah blah... 1:30.. the guy drives away...
So, are you saying he just sat out there eating lunch or something and drove away without even knocking on your door?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:32 PM   #3821
rdstoll

At a loss here....

Alright, I've consulted the site and called Comcast. Here is where I'm at on my new Tivo HD box with two cable cards from Comcast:

First thing's first: both cards are tuned just fine....great signal...SNR 37dB....everything looks good there.

I called Comcast and they sent a few hits and said the cards were set up correctly. As of now, they are sending out a technician on Saturday

In the conditional Access menu for Card 1, here is what I see:
Encryption: DES
Con: Yes EBCP: Yes Val V 0x03
ActivePrg: <0> 1

PMCMD: D Prg: 00013 ECM: 0x043A
LTSID: 000 TSIndex: 0
SvcID: 0x00613A Svc: 0 Enc: ENC
CP: Enabled CA Reply: 0x00 N
Auth: MP CCI 0x00 ? Epoch: 0x00

In the Conditional Access menu for card 2, here is what I see:

Encryption: DES
Con: Yes EBCP: Yes Val V 0x02

Nothing else on Card 2...just this.

Now from searching around it looks like that MP Auth is a no-go and means my cards are not authorized correctly but it's hard to believe that both cards were set up incorrectly by the original tech so I'm wondering what else might be causing this. Anyone have any good diagnostic insight???

Many thanks in advance!!!

Robert
rdstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #3822
rdstoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Look at the CableCARD installation FAQ - your card is not paired/validated properly. This must be fixed at the Comcast end.

Comcast needs the card serial number AND the Tivo Host ID AND the Tivo data value. Without all three in their system, you will never get the card in the proper state.

I've looked around....where is the Tivo Host ID and Tivo Data value stored? Can't find it anywhere!!

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #3823
johnnylundy

Quote:
All had signal strengths in the 50's and the big macroblocking.
Hmmm... well they are going to check your inside wiring first, and then they should go and check at the pole outside, unless they find an obviously bad inside wire, rusted connector, bad ground block, etc.

What they usually do at this point is suggest an amplifier. This is a bad idea.

What they need to do is get maintenance to go to the tap and either run a new tap for you or reconfigure how the taps come off the pole for you and your neighbors.

However, getting maintenance to actually come out is virtually impossible without contacting the district Vice President.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #3824
johnnylundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylundy
I'll have to check my bill - I would hope they would realize that an M-card would not be a second outlet, so neither should a second S-card be.
Follow-up: yep, they added a charge for a second outlet ("a/o" on the bill for "additional outlet").

I online chatted with the Customer Service and she took the charge off immediately.

They still charge 1.95 for the second card itself - I wonder if that is still charged if one gets an installer who has heard of not only CableCARDs but a multi-stream CableCARD.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:22 PM   #3825
Flashbrook

Cool

One tip I can give is... go through the card installation slow. Don't be afraid to tell the tech to wait and let the card the tivo and comcast do their thing together. Go throught the whole process one card at a time. It will actually take less time if you don't keep yanking the cards out and starting over. By reading these 128 pages plus the tivo install pamphlet we have about 127.5 more pages of education than the techs that come to our homes. Be patient it is worth the wait.
Flashbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:54 PM   #3826
ji0005

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
So, are you saying he just sat out there eating lunch or something and drove away without even knocking on your door?
Pretty much.. i live in a highrise but can see the street. I got a call confirming my apointment and I hit 1 to confirm it... he sat there for a while. Orange shirt.. smoking a cigarette.. then I went back to work for a while and when I looked back he was gone. I went down and talked to the doorman and he said the only utility that had been there was at&t for a different unit. Had I known the guy was gonna drive off I would have gone down and grabbed him, I just assumed he was eating his lunch and would be up shortly.

I finally got a guy to come out roughly 3 hours later... and he didnt bring a cable card. He seemed to understand, at least at a high level, the stars that need to align to get everything working.. but was no help in the end.

Luckily I am able to work from home tomorrow so I have another guy coming at 11am...

Last edited by ji0005 : 10-05-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:56 AM   #3827
bizzy

SF Bay Area - Bravo move?

Last night my S3 decided that Bravo was now on channel 181. I called Comcast and they insisted that they send out a tech. After an hour of being useless, he finally admitted that we were the 5th customer he's seen this week with the problem. We made him stay for another hour, while he called additional useless people.

Comcast is supposedly sending someone over with a cablecard TV tomorrow since they have no idea what's going on. Anyone else lost Bravo recently?
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:20 AM   #3828
aardwolf

My problem was resolved last night. It was technically fixed on my end two Mondays ago... apparently Comcast in the Memphis area was having trouble with EVERYONE's cable cards and the techs and CSR's just didn't know it.

My problem was that everything was set up properly, but my EMM count was zero. Apparently that was happening all over the city for new installs. At least I have channels now (5 weeks later.)
aardwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #3829
TaterTot24
TiVo Addict!

Memphs, TN

In Response to This Post

Earlier this week I got a hold of the main Cable Card guy at Comcast in Memphis. He says that he has been working with cable cards since they were released on the market.

This guy was really knowledgeable and he promised me that he would get it taken care of. So after 1 missed appointment and 3 days after a "successful" cable card install, I finally have all the channels that I am suppose to. That was not too painful...

If anyone in the Memphis area wants this guys number, just PM me and I will give it to you.

Current Model:
TiVo HD
TaterTot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #3830
ji0005

For anyone that has gone through executive care, do you find that they are more responsive than normal customer service? My problem was given to executive care (I didnt call them) and this lady im working with seems to not really care too much. She called this morning to follow up and had not listened to the voicemail I left her and now ive been waiting 2 hours for her to call me back with a status of when I might get a tech out here today.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!
Well.. after a week and many hours of work... the sh*t works. I still dont think they needed to, but they swapped out my card. Once they did that they got me back to getting all channels except HBO. The guy called dispatch a few different times and finally got someone who was able to change the account or send the hit or whatever it was.. and it works.

Note: I have never seen the error 161-4. I thought it always would happen when they hit the card, but it never did.

Note2: Both techs kept stressing what a pain these cards are for them and also how he brought 3 because it seems like there is a high failure rate. They knew one guys name in dispatch they kept asking for because he was "the man" when it comes to setting up cable cards.. but of course that guy went home early today, causing my appointment to be 3 hours long.

Last edited by ji0005 : 10-05-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #3831
stangboy68

I am thinking about making the switch from a comcast HD DVR to the new TivoHD. I called comcast here near atlantic city, NJ and asked them what it would cost to run the TivoHD with 2 cards since they don't as yet have an m-card. They said it would boil down to about $8/month. You get one card free, pay $3 for the second one and still have to pay $5 for HDTV. I said I already have HDTV and pay for it but they said you have to pay $5 HDTV fee per tivo box. This sounds like crap. Paying $8 to comcast plus $7 to tivo will put me at $15, just about what I pay now for my comcast HD DVR and I still have to but the TivoHD. Does this sound right?
stangboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #3832
rdstoll

Just out of curiosity - I have the Tivo HD box...the Comcast tech gave me two CableCards even though they are multi-stream. When I was setting the box up, Tivo told me I didn't need the second card but if I left it in there the box simply would not use it (i.e. not a big deal if I left it there)....is this potentially what is fouling up my authorization? I get Auth: MP.

(see my post above for more detailed description of problem)
Old 10-05-2007, 04:18 PM   #3833
jgerry
save vinyl

Atlanta, GA

Update: Finally got the installer to show up. He brought one S card and one M card. Funny, because I specifically asked Comcast for an M card and they said they only do S cards.

The guy had no idea what he was doing at all. He told me this was his first Tivo install. I actually printed out the directions for him, and the CableCard troubleshooting pages too. The "tech" on the phone with the installer insisted that I needed two cards, not just the single M card. The "tech" even said it was fine to put both the M card and the S card in the Tivo. I refused to let him do that.

One M card installed, but they were unable to authorize / validate it. The installer took the HOST and DATA info from the pairing screen as he was supposed to, but no luck. They're sure there's something screwed up on my account. He's coming back in a couple of hours with his supervisor to see if they can work it out.

jgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #3834
kido

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangboy68
I am thinking about making the switch from a comcast HD DVR to the new TivoHD. I called comcast here near atlantic city, NJ and asked them what it would cost to run the TivoHD with 2 cards since they don't as yet have an m-card. They said it would boil down to about $8/month. You get one card free, pay $3 for the second one and still have to pay $5 for HDTV. I said I already have HDTV and pay for it but they said you have to pay $5 HDTV fee per tivo box. This sounds like crap. Paying $8 to comcast plus $7 to tivo will put me at $15, just about what I pay now for my comcast HD DVR and I still have to but the TivoHD. Does this sound right?
HDTV charge is bogus. Just tell them you want the cards and are not interested in HD, even tell them you do not have a HD television, if that's what it takes. Once the cards are setup and working you should receive the HD channels just fine.
kido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #3835
Diluted

Update from Albuquerque...

Well, after 4 visits, 8 cards, 10 phone calls of at least 1 hour each, and various other rigamarole, I finally have a fully working setup.

This last visit I got a technician who had NO clue, had never installed a TiVo before, and said that CC's never work. I had him call twice to make sure the CC ID's were associated with the proper Host IDs, but continued to get 'Waiting for CP Auth.' Finally he called another technician on speakerphone and explained that the CC's weren't working and could he offer any advice. the other technician, not knowing he was on speaker said 'Tell the customer that CC's don't ever work, and if he wants to have our service, he will need to use our (set top) box.' He hung up, shrugged at me and said 'I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do!' I told him that was unacceptable, and that I would be calling corporate, he said that was a good next step and that he was sorry he couldn't help any further. I told him I understood it wasn't his fault, and asked him to call in one more time to make sure the HostID and CC ID were properly paired. He called and the woman on the other end of the phone said they were right.

I let him go, and called the regular local technician on a hunch. I gave her the HostID for slot 1 and asked her what the CC ID was. Lo and behold, they were swapped! Even after I had him check THREE times with his technician. I t0ld her not to touch anything, and I would swap my cards, and see if it worked. after the cards booted and got all their authorizations, voila! I had all the channels I was supposed to on both cards!

I am so angry at Comcast, I am fed up with their incompetence and idiocy, but there's nothing I can do about it at all. I would have been much better off if they had just given me the cards at their office instead of rolling a truck, as I basically did this whole thing myself anyway.

blah.

At least I have the sweet sweet TiVo goodness now, and it's all working.
Diluted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #3836
stangboy68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kido
HDTV charge is bogus. Just tell them you want the cards and are not interested in HD, even tell them you do not have a HD television, if that's what it takes. Once the cards are setup and working you should receive the HD channels just fine.

Are you sure about that? I'd hate to go through all this and not have HD on the Tivo.
stangboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:14 PM   #3837
kido

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangboy68
Are you sure about that? I'd hate to go through all this and not have HD on the Tivo.
once the cards are set up, you would be able to add the HDTV fee back if it really didn't work, but in almost every case i have heard of that HDTV fee is an equipment fee for a HD STB which you do not have.
kido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:00 AM   #3838
bicker
Gruff

The fee for adding services here is only $2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #3839
diskus

Los Gatos CA

Techs were 2 Hrs late but kept me updated as to their arrival

Brought 3 M cards, was well familiar with TIVO HD, popular in the area. Our area has no 2 way services and he thought that increased TIVO popularity

First card worked

20 minutes total

no problems so far
diskus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #3840
murryamorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskus
Los Gatos CA

Techs were 2 Hrs late but kept me updated as to their arrival

Brought 3 M cards, was well familiar with TIVO HD, popular in the area. Our area has no 2 way services and he thought that increased TIVO popularity

First card worked

20 minutes total

no problems so far
Good deal. Mine is on Monday for the new Tivo HD (have the Series 3 since last Dec). Already 4 phone calls to try to pair (office only gave me single stream cards). 3 of the 4 calls the people were pretty confused so I didn't waste a lot of time.

I'm hoping the tech brings M card on Monday and not just S cards. I should have a positive attitude but it's hard with Comcast.

They did ask today if it might be the Tivo. Since I thought they might say this, I had taken the first one back to Costco on Friday and swapped for another, knowing it was Comcast and not the unit but what the heck.
murryamorris is offline   Reply With Quote