TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #31
Sy-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing2001
Sy - I spoke to a TiVo Rep on Saturday and he told me that I would not be able to receive the Oceanic channels switching to SDV. He told me they're in the works of making a device that would connect between the cable line and a TiVo's box USB port to act as a two-way device needed to acces SDV channels. When and how much this device will be available is unknown, but, probably next year some time.
Yea... I knew that... Funny how not all the CSR's are working off the same playbook.
Premiere XL

*Listed in order of acquisition as well as reliability!
Sy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #32
pashasurf7873

It's happening... even though the switchover to sdv in Hawaii is supposed to happen on the 24th, universal hd and various sports channels like Fuel are no longer available.
Contacted Tivo about the eneral SDV problem and they just say that Tivo is hard at work to come out with an 'external device' to solve the problem. How long do you suppose that will take??
pashasurf7873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:43 AM   #33
is2scooby

We're already starting to lose channels?

I can't imagine going back to an Oceanic DVR, but what choice do I have with my Tivo 3 being useless? Grrr.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #34
HiKent

Did you notice how Universal HD and FoxSportsHD went to "Channel Unavailable?" -- unlike when we lost ESPN2HD this spring -- when that channel just went blank. My theory is they just took ESPN2HD out of the cablecard lineup for not technical reason -- other than it was fun for them to mess with cablecard users.
HiKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:39 PM   #35
pashasurf7873

FWIW I just noticed that both Universal HD and Fuel are back in the lineup.
Now just hope for a miracle on Sept 24th.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:07 PM   #36
HiKent

Does anyone know if TWC changed their mind, or is a week from Monday still D-Day?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #37
is2scooby

I am crossing my fingers. I can't stand the thought of going without my Tivo 3... GRRR.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #38
is2scooby

Are there any Hawaii residents monitoring this thread that are articulate and focused enough to write a 'letter to the editor' type of piece for the different papers? (Advertiser, Star Bulletin, MidWeek, etc.)?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #39
pashasurf7873

Thumbs down

I have written the fcc and local regulator, no response yet...I suppose a letter to the editor couldn't hurt. with 4 days to go til the big Hawaii HD shut out, it may be too late.
this whole experience and the thought of going back to TWC DVR is depressing.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:27 PM   #40
hddude55

This is very disturbing. I have a series 2 that is becoming problematic and was considering a second series 3, but would have to be a dunce to buy a second one until this matter is resolved. I am very surprised TiVo has recently introduced a second hdtv model without addressing this situation. Sales certainly must be suffering on both hdtv models, unless people are clueless.
hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:21 PM   #41
Hyrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55
...I am very surprised TiVo has recently introduced a second hdtv model without addressing this situation. Sales certainly must be suffering on both hdtv models, unless people are clueless.
I disagree, a TvioHD can be got for a couple of hundred and change - a bargain even if you only get OTA HD (like I do). On the other hand, S3 sales could well suffer until they announce their SDV solution.

Myself, I'd buy a S3 tomorrow (with the $200 discount) if I had more than 1 TV in my house.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #42
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55
This is very disturbing. I have a series 2 that is becoming problematic and was considering a second series 3, but would have to be a dunce to buy a second one until this matter is resolved. I am very surprised TiVo has recently introduced a second hdtv model without addressing this situation. Sales certainly must be suffering on both hdtv models, unless people are clueless.
Of course people are clueless. Why would they even suspect that they can't get the channels they pay for, using the federally regulated hardware?
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:46 AM   #43
jsnow789

I don't know... Kevin Martin seems like he is pretty much doing everything he can to make sure we are NOT locked into a stb.

I think letters to the FCC are VERY important and specifically sent to him. Use the link in the 'Who Killed Tivo to Go' thread to send an email about SDV. While it may not help in the immediate case for TWC in Hawaii, it may help get the USB solution to the market faster, esp if it means they are not fined for violations (which I think TWC are in line for).

(can't direct link just yet )
jsnow789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #44
lew

SDV allows a cable system to offer more channels within the bandwidth available.

Every customer that doesn't use a cc DVR (and the few that use a cable card TV) benefits from SDV. What % of users are in each category? Do you think even 1% of the customers currently use cable cards?

Customers can complain but I suspect the response will be something like this change allows us to offer more channles to more then 99% (lower this % to whatever number you think is applicable) of our customers.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:51 AM   #45
is2scooby

1 hour until D Day.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #46
renkablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12
Google would've probably just wired their own cable network, like they are wiring the whole city of SF for wireless. Who needs to partner with the telecom giants when you are Google.
Interesting that you post that Google is wiring SF for wireless....Verizon has a contract with the City of Houston (Texas) for the whole city to be wired wireless.
It's not in place yet, but it will be interesting to see this....apparantly this type of service is happening throughout the major cities.

Not Verizon - it is Earthlink

Last edited by renkablue : 09-24-2007 at 02:29 PM. Reason: wrong provider not Verizon - it is Earthlink
renkablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:26 AM   #47
pashasurf7873

Well, the 24th is behind us and my HD channels are still working. Yesterday was to be the D-day in Hawaii for Tivo S3 and HD owners...

Keeping fingers crossed for a miracle.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #48
s1_junkie

TWC: Can't buy CableCards & HDTV

Yesterday I visited my local TWC office in Kona (Big Island, HI) to grovel for a CableCard appointment and to sign up for TWC's HDTV package. SDV has not been implemented in Kona.

I was told TWC no longer sell the combination CableCard and HDTV . Seems like a clear violation of the intent of both the FCC mandate on HDTV and the FCC mandate on CableCard.

If anybody is having similar problems, the Hawaii State, Department of Commerce, CATV section has a web complaint form. Google for 'hawaii state cable television division complaint' (I am a new member and am not allowed url's).
s1_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:39 AM   #49
quick

This is not completely related to this thread but may be of interest (if it's not known already).

I was talking with TiVo level 2 tech support last night (waited 1hr on hold), had a big list of questions...

I asked about SDV and is it a hardware limitation of the TiVo that would not support it or software, then I asked: Does the TiVo HD have the hardware capability to send data out.

She was kind of vague but said this.. : We are working on a solution for this and it would be some kind of adapter since it would be a hardware limitation that would plug into the unit.

How it would plug in or if this is just BS I don't know... the lady actually hung up on me after asking about TiVo to go... lol. I think I asked one too many questions...
Old 09-28-2007, 09:14 AM   #50
HiDefGator

search for usb dongle and you should find the threads talking about it. I believe the dongle has to come from the cable company and may need to be different for each cable company out there. i'll be surprised if you see the dongle this year.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #51
s1_junkie

TWC: Can't buy CableCards & HDTV

Just had a 3 way conversation with a level 2 Tivo person and an Oceanic Time Warner Cable drone.

1) TWC confirmed CableCard and HDTV combination no longer available for purchase, Tivo person escalated the issue to Tivo Corporate, will update you all when more info is available.

2) Drone said CableCard and HDTV combination will cease to work in a couple of weeks, claimed it was a "bidirectional issue", but not SDV (hey, it was a drone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1_junkie
Yesterday I visited my local TWC office in Kona (Big Island, HI) to grovel for a CableCard appointment and to sign up for TWC's HDTV package. SDV has not been implemented in Kona.

I was told TWC no longer sell the combination CableCard and HDTV . Seems like a clear violation of the intent of both the FCC mandate on HDTV and the FCC mandate on CableCard.

If anybody is having similar problems, the Hawaii State, Department of Commerce, CATV section has a web complaint form. Google for 'hawaii state cable television division complaint' (I am a new member and am not allowed url's).

Old 09-29-2007, 03:58 AM   #52
camtui

Quote:
Just had a 3 way conversation with a level 2 Tivo person and an Oceanic Time Warner Cable drone.

1) TWC confirmed CableCard and HDTV combination no longer available for purchase, Tivo person escalated the issue to Tivo Corporate, will update you all when more info is available.

2) Drone said CableCard and HDTV combination will cease to work in a couple of weeks, claimed it was a "bidirectional issue", but not SDV (hey, it was a drone).
Yet their site still claims that they offer it? http://www.oceanic.com/OceanicWebApp...CableCard.html TWC is killing me! I'm waiting for cable cards as well. I'm just waiting for the S3 to support M cards so that I don't have to pay duplication charges. But who knows what TWC has up their sleeves!
camtui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #53
s1_junkie

I just noticed that TWC's "Important Notice to CableCARD Customers" says on the first line:
"September 24, 2007 these channels will only be available with a digital set top box or a two way CABLECARD with a two way device".

So I asked TWC for a two way CABLECARD, the response was unsurprisingly : "No, we don't have those".
Old 09-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #54
HiKent

s1_junkie,

If TiVo corporate gets back to you, could you also have them check why we don't get the music & radio channels. At least here on Oahu the only way to listen to the radio is via TWC. Since they charge us full price (and then some), why block the radio?

Given the choice, I'd pick the HDTV -- but I'd like both.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #55
s1_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiKent
s1_junkie,

If TiVo corporate gets back to you, could you also have them check why we don't get the music & radio channels. At least here on Oahu the only way to listen to the radio is via TWC. Since they charge us full price (and then some), why block the radio?

Given the choice, I'd pick the HDTV -- but I'd like both.
HiKent,

I'd like to clarify, not sure I get the question, by music and radio channels do you mean:

A) TWC channels 800 -> 882 and marketed as "Music Choice", and are you saying Tivo/CableCard wont play them, or TWC has totally disabled them, or you dont want to rent an extra cable box just for your radio, or something I missed?

B) The analog radio signal (e.g. on Big Island a plain old radio with its antenna in the cable socket and tuned to 89.30MHz plays KHPR) which stop working every now and then, I call TWC, TWC says it is not supported and then it starts working again. (I have heard this is only available in rural areas)

C) Something else.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #56
HiKent

Hi,

It's the Music Choice + radio rebroadcast I'm talking about. From what I've read in this forum, the other TWC areas are able to receive them with cablecards. But Oceanic blocks reception. My Series 3 seems to tune, but they seem to be encrypted. (With SA cablecards it's hard to tell.) They charge us (twice!), so why block them? I'm told to not use cablecards & I'll get them fine. Maybe TiVo lawyers will be able to get a more reasonable explanation.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #57
lobrien

@S1_Junkie: Are you saying that here in Kona we can still use Tivo for HDTV somehow? I just got my Tivo HD today and was shocked to discover this whole "SDV" thing. I thought this was the entire point of cablecard, but the person I talked to at TWC said "CableCards only work with standard definition." The arrival of Tivo HD was a major part of my decision to buy a freaking HDTV and now it's worth nothing? I am totally f***ing pissed off.
lobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #58
s1_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobrien
@S1_Junkie: Are you saying that here in Kona we can still use Tivo for HDTV somehow? I just got my Tivo HD today and was shocked to discover this whole "SDV" thing. I thought this was the entire point of cablecard, but the person I talked to at TWC said "CableCards only work with standard definition." The arrival of Tivo HD was a major part of my decision to buy a freaking HDTV and now it's worth nothing? I am totally f***ing pissed off.
1) In terms of HDTV and CableCard 'working' and 'today', my understanding is that everything works (except music channels).

2) I ordered HDTV and CableCards from TWC (for new TivoHD), my cards will be installed in 3 weeks (grrr.) however TWC will not sell me the HDTV package (no supporting paperwork yet).

3) HiKent has pointed out that the Music Choice and radio channels are not supported for CableCard. Camtui pointed to the TWC CableCard web site that shows this, and also that TWC does support CableCard and HDTV!

4) Some time in the near future TWC will make 10 HDTV channels unavailable (along with about 30 other channels). Ask TWC for a copy of "Important Notice for CableCard Customers".

5) My understanding is that this is an Oceanic TWC policy issue, in most of the rest of country this is not currently an issue. It seems to me that Oceanic TWC is trying to create a walled garden, despite the FCC CableCard mandate. The dweebs are of course clueless, we all know what happened to AOL's walled garden. But in the interim we CableCard customers will feel the pain.

6) If you dont like this TWC policy please complain to State regulators (regulators will only pay attention if they get a lot of complaints), and call Tivo and ask for help dealing with TWC. It is in TiVo's interest to support us, Tivo has a big problem if this stupidity propagates through the rest of the country.

Would have been nice if I could have given you a one line response, but this is at the moment an ongoing story. Please participate.

Last edited by s1_junkie : 10-02-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #59
lobrien

Quote:
in the near future TWC will make 10 HDTV channels unavailable (along with about 30 other channels).
Other than premium and ppv, there are only 15 HD channels that TWC provides today. Do we know which 5 are going to be available for CableCard/Tivo HD?

Quote:
If you dont like this TWC policy please complain to State regulators (regulators will only pay attention if they get a lot of complaints), and call Tivo and ask for help dealing with TWC.
Happily. Do you know the appropriate state regulatory body?
lobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #60
ADent

I would complain to your Senators and House Rep.

SDV is a real violation of the spirit of Cable Card rules that the FCC has been working on for years and the FCC should be spanked for allowing it.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote