TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-29-2007, 05:11 PM   #3781
Cyrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdwarren
I am so glad you posted this! I will keep adding my season passes until I get my cards now that I know they will search for the HD versions!

thanks! karen
To me it looks like it did a compare of the channels callsign's, if it was on WPXIDT on channel 11.1 it just remapped the season pass to the new WXPIDT on whatever channel it moved to.. I really was impressed by that.
Cyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #3782
ji0005

So I picked up my mcard on Friday for my new tivohd... silly me for thinking it would just work.

I slid the card in on and was happy to see that I was able to get all of my channels, except HBO. I didnt even have to call in to get that far.. Upon looking at the conditional access screen, I could see that I was connected, but not validated and auth was = "CAD". I called and worked with someone last night and next thing you know I was no longer connected and also not validated or authorized... so I was knocked down to only getting the equivelant channels that I would get if I just plugged a tv into a wall... roughly 25 channels in Chicago.

Today, I spoke with the Tinley Park office (as has been suggested in this thread). I worked with the guy for 5 hours and got nowhere.. cant even get back to being connected. Now they want to send a truck out and swap the card... but they cant promise the truck will actually have a card... So of course im expected to take a 1/2 day from work... well I dont have to tell you guys.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I asked him about the dashes in values and he said his system wont take them. He even tried clearing my account of all the services and rebuilding it (I cant wait to see my next bill.. what are the odds that is gonna be right)
ji0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:20 AM   #3783
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon65
...finally had to add the additional outlet back on to make it work. Now everything is back and working.

I'm torn between leaving this alone and working, and paying the extra $8/mo. I don't have too much time to fool around with this, so I'm paying the $8.
Just have them credit your account for $8 each month and leave the additional outlet charge on until they fix their billing system.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #3784
arhoolie

Ann Arbor, MI

When I called the Crapcast CSR, I was quoted:

1st Cable Card - Free
2nd Cable Card - $1.50/mo.
Truck Roll: $17.50/half hour

I was also assured that the installation would not take more than a half hour. Wrong! The tech they sent was basically clueless as to how to install the cards. At one point, he admitted to me this was his first card install. Also, from what I could gather, the person he was talking to on the other end was equally clueless. When he left after almost 1.5 hours, things were still quite screwed up. For example, I was getting video only on ESPNHD, no audio. Other HD channels weren't coming in at all.

It took a second call to a more experienced tech to get things working properly. This tech also admitted to me that they hadn't had much experience with Tivo's yet. Now all is well and things are working as I expected them to.
arhoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #3785
jgerry
save vinyl

Atlanta, GA

I'm envious of anyone who's even gotten Comcast to show up with cable cards to do the install.

I've been waiting 3 weeks. Comcast just plain didn't show up for my first appointment on Tuesday. I complained very loudly that they made me waste a day at the office. They gave me $33/month (about $25/month savings) internet for the next year and gave me a coveted Saturday appointment for the cablecard installs. No one showed up. They called me at noon, an hour after the 8-11 time slot, to tell me they didn't have any cable cards available.

What can you possibly do to get these morons in line? I am beyond angry, but what can I really do? Nothing. Well, except just give up cable. Frankly, with the new TV season, I'm enjoying plenty of OTA HD goodness for free, with no overcompressed signals and no Comcast. If I could just do that plus Netflix, I wouldn't need Comcast. Dammit, except for internet that is.
jgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:22 PM   #3786
johnnylundy

If you're in Atlanta, email Gene Shatlock, the VP in our area.

Gene_Shatlock@cable.comcast.com

If you take the attitude that you just don't know what else to do, and is there anything he can suggest, he will get you taken care of.

Just don't start complaining. Be extremely polite and just give the impression that you are wondering what to do.

He has fixed my problems 3 times, and I only went to him after multiple failed efforts as you have had. He will most likely assign it to one of his people, and you'll get a very nice and apologetic tech at your house who will tell you that he was instructed not to leave until your situation was taken care of. So you won't have to yell at him either.
johnnylundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #3787
johnnylundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhoolie
Ann Arbor, MI

The tech they sent was basically clueless as to how to install the cards. At one point, he admitted to me this was his first card install. Also, from what I could gather, the person he was talking to on the other end was equally clueless.

It took a second call to a more experienced tech to get things working properly. This tech also admitted to me that they hadn't had much experience with Tivo's yet. Now all is well and things are working as I expected them to.
I learned from reading these forums that the Comcast techs are clueless, so I made sure that I pressured the one who came to my house to follow the TiVo instructions. I'm glad I did, as he would have done it wrong, inserting both cards at once. He also didn't know how to check the channels to make sure they were receiving. All of that is in the TiVo instructions also, and I just did that part myself.

I think it's ridiculous for Comcast to forbid you from just getting the cards yourself, force you to pay $17.95 and then send someone who knows less than the customer does.

Also, I requested 2 days ahead of time a single M-Card. The CSA on the phone had no clue what the hell I was talking about so I dictated to her what to put on the work order. Naturally, the tech brought 2 S-Cards, did not know what an M-Card was, and there was nothing on his work order about it. I suppose I should consider myself lucky that he brought 2 cards, and that they were Motorola cards.

I think most of these stories that you hear about "bad" cards are really just a clueless tech who did not follow instructions when installing and authorizing them, and declared them "bad cards."
Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 AM   #3788
kdwarren

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmesser
I figured I would try to get another installation appointment through the technical assistance menus on their regular toll-free number. I explained the situation clearly (incomplete work order, only one card, need another). They scheduled an appointment for 11am-1pm today.

Two techs showed up a few minutes ago with NO CARDS saying they'd simply been dispatched on a regular trouble call. They also had the gall to ask me to sign their work order, which I refused to do.

I'm done with trying to do this through normal channels. Executive Care is closed on weekends, but they'll be hearing from me Monday morning. This is absurd.
I am contacting corp today as well. I think they are almost doing it on purpose for me. They even had the gall to try to cancel out Sat apt because we might have picked up the cards at a local office. We had a voicemail saying that we should calle to cancel if we have. I tired 2 offices they say they don't carry the cards but I think they are lying.

I found a FCC complaint site. I plan on using too.
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cib/fcc475.cfm

Karen

Last edited by kdwarren : 10-01-2007 at 11:16 AM.
kdwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #3789
jgerry
save vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylundy
If you're in Atlanta, email Gene Shatlock, the VP in our area.

Gene_Shatlock@cable.comcast.com

If you take the attitude that you just don't know what else to do, and is there anything he can suggest, he will get you taken care of.

Just don't start complaining. Be extremely polite and just give the impression that you are wondering what to do.

He has fixed my problems 3 times, and I only went to him after multiple failed efforts as you have had. He will most likely assign it to one of his people, and you'll get a very nice and apologetic tech at your house who will tell you that he was instructed not to leave until your situation was taken care of. So you won't have to yell at him either.
I'm going to write him a very politely worded email today. Thanks for the info. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.
jgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #3790
lip89

Boston

According to Comcast, for two cards..I have to just go into a Comcast office and just ask and the first one is free and the second one is 2.95. Havent been out to the office yet but intend to go. Does anyone else have experience with this?
lip89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:11 PM   #3791
johnnylundy

The prices sound correct, and you are lucky that they will let you pick them up.

Make sure you get the exact phone number to call in to get them authorized when you are installing them.

Follow the instructions in the TiVo box exactly, word for word. The card #1 is in the RIGHT slot on the TiVo HD, not the left. Install one card at a time, as the onscreen instructions will indicate.

There is no need to do a channel scan - just check a few channels below 100, then a couple of HD channels, and then any premium channels that you have. Do this for EACH card (the "Cable Cards" menu guides you through this).
Old 10-01-2007, 04:03 PM   #3792
jpenneck

Thinking about moving from DirecTV back to Comcast

I'm thinking about moving from DirecTV back to Comcast and I was wondering how many HD channels Comcast has these days and if there is any info available on what new channels are coming. Thanks.

I'm in the Denver area if that makes any difference for programming.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:26 PM   #3793
johnnylundy

It differs from market to market - go to comcast.com and find the link for channel lineups and enter your ZIP code.

Some ZIP codes return a message saying there is no channel lineup for that ZIP code. In that case, use a nearby ZIP code instead.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:39 PM   #3794
FrostBite

Someone help me out here. I have DirecTivo but only use it for Sunday Ticket. I switched to Comcast because they gave me a free HDDVR and local HD channels without the need for an HD antenna.

I hate Comcasts HDDVR. I love Tivo... but why would I want to pay 300 bucks for a receiver? And then pay additional monthly charges for Tivo Service on top of my Comcast bill? What am I missing? Is there a wash somewhere with the charges? Meaning, do I cancel out some comcast charges by getting a Tivo?

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind the 300 bucks because Tivo was soooo much better than my current dvr, but I can't do it if my bill is going to be more to own a Tivo. And what about payperview? Gotta have my UFC fights.

Thanks.
FrostBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #3795
johnnylundy

Most folks don't get the DVR free, nor the HD channels free. I know I don't.

By flushing the Comcast piece-of-crap Motorola DVR, I save $11.95 a month on Comcast and replace it with $8.31 a month for the TiVo service, plus the $2 a month for the CableCARD.

I am still keeping the Motorola until just before the refund period is up for the TiVo, and if the TiVo starts pixelating I will return it and use the Moto until people here say the pixelation is fixed. Otherwise, I will carry that POS Moto back to the local Comcast center.

Oh, and concerning the price of the TiVo HD, I got a $25.45 refund from Amazon since the price dropped in the two weeks I have had it. $254 now, I think. No tax, free shipping.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #3796
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostBite
Someone help me out here. I have DirecTivo but only use it for Sunday Ticket. I switched to Comcast because they gave me a free HDDVR and local HD channels without the need for an HD antenna.

I hate Comcasts HDDVR. I love Tivo... but why would I want to pay 300 bucks for a receiver? And then pay additional monthly charges for Tivo Service on top of my Comcast bill? What am I missing? Is there a wash somewhere with the charges? Meaning, do I cancel out some comcast charges by getting a Tivo?

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind the 300 bucks because Tivo was soooo much better than my current dvr, but I can't do it if my bill is going to be more to own a Tivo. And what about payperview? Gotta have my UFC fights.
No one ever said the better, more capable option is also going to be cheaper. You get what you pay for.

Typically in a Comcast market there's a charge for a DVR, an upcharge if it's HD-capable, and a charge for the outlet. The charges for the DVR and HD-upcharge won't apply if you use a TiVo instead since a CableCARD is generally included with the outlet charge and, if needed, the second CableCARD is under $2/month. That typically frees up $10-$18/month in Comcast charges.

You complicate things wanting access to PPV, so you need at least an HD receiver (not necessarily a DVR), and Comcast will provide a basic receiver to a CableCARD customer at little or no charge for equipment rental, but may require an additional outlet fee.

It does typically become a wash or even a slight savings in monthly fees, especially for customers who have multiple TiVo's instead of multiple Comcast DVR's. But you still have to buy the equipment. Though it's yours to resell so there is retained value there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:26 AM   #3797
tmesser

Called Executive Care today. The woman who answered the phone was curious how I'd gotten the number; I told her I found it here, where someone had posted it because many TiVo customers were having issues with Comcast and CableCARDs. I briefly explained my situation, and she said she needed to put me in the "Executive Care box," which I assume is some sort of queue. I did not receive a call back today, but I really hope I get one tomorrow. Otherwise, I think I'm going to give up on Comcast altogether. I have lived without cable before and will gladly do it again, if only to prove a point that this company's service is not worth my money.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #3798
silypuddy

Are most people paying an extra $7 a month for the HD channels?

I am trying to figure out if it is included in one of the various digital packages or if it is not.

Right now I am getting all the HD channels except for the two HD Net channels, but I don't see a seperate charge on my bill, just a digital preferred package charge and a $3.95 charge for a box and remote (which I don't have).

I hate to call Comcast and have them mess things up for something that isn't broken...
Old 10-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #3799
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by silypuddy

I am trying to figure out if it is included in one of the various digital packages or if it is not.

Right now I am getting all the HD channels except for the two HD Net channels, but I don't see a seperate charge on my bill, just a digital preferred package charge and a $3.95 charge for a box and remote (which I don't have).

I hate to call Comcast and have them mess things up for something that isn't broken...
For most people that ~$7/month HD charge falls under the equipment rental category and is an upcharge on receivers/DVRs that are HD-capable. It's not a programming charge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #3800
johnnylundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by silypuddy
I had to pay extra because I had the Basic Cable.
Quote:
I couldn't figure it out, so I had to call Comcast. What happened was that I thought I ordered the DVR/HD Combo, which is the same price as the DVR by itself ($15.95). But they did not enable the HD channels, which in Atlanta in my area are channels 800-899. A quick call fixed that in 5 minutes.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #3801
cptodd
Just Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmesser
I have lived without cable before and will gladly do it again, if only to prove a point that this company's service is not worth my money.
This is what I did sometime last year when they got on my last nerve. I have since moved and now all of the OTA HD channels come in clearly. I could not be happier!

That said, I do understand that some people MUST have their cable.
cptodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #3802
FrostBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
You complicate things wanting access to PPV, so you need at least an HD receiver (not necessarily a DVR), and Comcast will provide a basic receiver to a CableCARD customer at little or no charge for equipment rental, but may require an additional outlet fee.
very complicated, but I've gotta have my fixes... Sunday Ticket and UFC ppv.

but if i can get a loaner box when i get my ppv i'll be fine.

I do pay 11.95/mo for the dvr rental so I don't mind paying the 250 or so for the TivoHD.

i may pull the trigger on this. but i have to read up on the TivoHD/Series 3 pixelation problems and audio drop out. That's some of the problems I'm having with my Craptastic DVR.

thanks for the reply though!
FrostBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #3803
tmesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptodd
This is what I did sometime last year when they got on my last nerve. I have since moved and now all of the OTA HD channels come in clearly. I could not be happier!
There is a master antenna on top of my apartment building that receives almost all OTA HD quite well. CBS2 stutters a little (I'm 30 miles west of Chicago and their signal sucks), but I hardly watch CBS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptodd
That said, I do understand that some people MUST have their cable.
Yeah, I don't really want to get rid of it, especially since the Cubs are in the playoffs right now and TBS is the only place to watch the games (until the World Series, which Fox will have). But I will survive if I end up canceling. Hopefully I can get this resolved and it won't come to that.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #3804
swankboy

I had to wait almost two weeks for Comcast to come out and "install" the cable cards. Guy came today. Clearly had never even seen a Tivo before. I knew I was in trouble right away. He got the first card working after much effort (he doesn't know how he did it). The second one would get some channels, but not all. He got on the phone with someone. He did a master reset of the Tivo (who knows why). Then nothing worked. He then had to leave.

He was here three hours and didn't get anything done (shocking that it takes two weeks to get some one here with that sort of track record). He didn't leave the cable cards either. I asked him why not, he said another guy would be back in the morning. Probably the genius who told him to reset the Tivo.

After he left I called to complain. Of course I had to get a call back since the wait was long (shocker). The guy I got spoke perfect English and seemed to have more than an 8th grade education. Imagine my glee. Anyway, he was cool. I told him the whole story and how annoyed I was to wait two weeks and then get some moron sent to my house who had no clue what to do. I then voiced how annoyed I was that I couldn't just pick up the cards two weeks ago and do it myself. He asked why I hadn't. I explained to him that both over the phone and via online support I was told I _had_ to have them installed by an installer. He put me on hold. Came back said that's not the case and he'd never heard that. Awesome.

Unfortunately it was too late for me to hit my local Comcast office, so I'm waiting until the morning when this mythical genius installer shows up. I'm giving him an hour to get it done. If he can't he gets booted and I go to the local office, install and call Comcast. I wouldn't doubt it if it just works.

I HATE cable companies. If Directv didn't have such a crappy DVR offering they would have gotten my business already.
swankboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #3805
johnnylundy

Comcast is wasting so much money it's ridiculous. The install instructions for the TiVo CableCARDs are a single page. All the doofus has to do is read it and follow it.

It seems as if every single one of the techs that they send out has "never done it before", and all of the CSRs on the phones have "never taken a CableCARD order before."

And I wish they would make up their !@(@)*$ minds as to whether the customer can go and get the cards at the local office or not. Some areas do, and some don't. One CSR says you can't do it, and you call back and the next one says you can. Then you go to the office and nobody ever heard of CableCARDs.

If you factor in the do-nothing truck rolls for High-Speed Internet troubles, it seems that more than 90 percent of the tech visits accomplish nothing. That's a lot of money for salary, truck maintenance, gas, and insurance.

I wonder if any of the executives ever had the bright idea to have a 10-minute class where the techs were told "here is a card, here is a TiVo HD, here is a TiVo Series 3, and here is the one-page installation instructions."
Old 10-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #3806
Flashbrook

I just sprung for a TiVo DVR, I have 2 old ones, but just got the TiVo HD DVR and I have fallen in love allover again. Other than having a tech come out and give me the two CableCARDS I needed to get my digital channels, its GREAT. I found the ComCast DVR to be slow and sloppy. I did lose all the On-Demand stuff but tivo has some of its own through Amazon and other groups if you run it through your highspeed. There is not as much content in the way of free movies as ComCast, but there is some. I have found the TiVo is also more "intuitive?" at adjusting aspect as I change stations. The tech did have some trouble and it took about 20 min of phone calls from him to another guy but he got it done. I have no charge for the cards and I'm in Port Huron Michigan

I LOVE ComCast HighSpeed,Voice, and Digital HD, but TiVo even makes it better.
Flashbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #3807
missdona

I set up my cable card appt with comcast today. The I told him that I needed an "M-Card" and asked the tech to bring several, because they have a high fail rate. He had no idea about the difference between an M-Card and an S-card and went on to tell me that he "thinks they only have one kind of card."

I asked him, "could you just put it on the work order" and he agreed.

I think I need to call back and confirm everything's correct.
missdona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #3808
ji0005

Quote:
Originally Posted by swankboy
If he can't he gets booted and I go to the local office, install and call Comcast. I wouldn't doubt it if it just works.
Oh how I wish that were true... getting the card is 1/2 the battle. I picked up an mcard last friday and had everything but HBO working right away... once I called about HBO they managed to knock me down to nothing but basic cable (20 some channels in chicago)... I have worked with them for 10 hours now and they cant even get me back to where I was when I picked it up.

I have a guy coming tomorrow "with a new card". Odds he shows up without a card seem pretty high to me.
ji0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #3809
johnnylundy

Quote:
I have a guy coming tomorrow "with a new card". Odds he shows up without a card seem pretty high to me.
If there are two ways that a Comcast tech can do it, one being correct and the other incorrect, they will do it the incorrect way 99% of the time.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:32 PM   #3810
aardwolf

After 31 days of no success (including 3 technician no-shows and one that didn't fix anything), I still don't have any digital or non-rebroadcast HD channels. I pretty much flipped out last night, and I got the corporate phone number of the General Manager of Comcast for the Memphis area. I called and left a message in his personal voicemail box, and within 15 minutes I had a tech call me to schedule an appointment "any time I wanted it". He'll be coming over at 5:30pm on Thursday (only because I was busy today) :-)
aardwolf is offline   Reply With Quote