TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2007, 07:20 AM   #2521
rmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWThiers
When you run tweak.sh, do you run it from the /hacks directory or do you type the whole path to like
Code:
sh /hacks/tweak.sh
???

If you type the whole path, instead try cd'ing to /hacks the run tweak.
Yes sir, I am running tweak.sh from the hacks directory.
Thanks for the ideas,
Randy
rmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #2522
Porterx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
This is the CD you want. The most up to date guide is always in the instructions here. Try adding your directory image as an attachment, rather than an embedded image.
Thanks for your help. It's finally working, mostly. I used a test 160gb drive. I had to figure out that the ptvupgrade prompt is correct. It is the prompt used until executing zipper.

I tried to create a new folder in twp but when I hit Create Folder, it errored.

Also, I'm still confused on at least one part of the enhancements script. When asked if I want the Tivo to reboot answer yes unless I want to use caller ID then answer no. What if I want it to reboot and use caller ID?

Oh well, I'll continue with my 500gb drive later.

Again, thanks for your help,
Porter
Porterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #2523
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterx
....Also, I'm still confused on at least one part of the enhancements script. When asked if I want the Tivo to reboot answer yes unless I want to use caller ID then answer no. What if I want it to reboot and use caller ID?....
This came up some time ago. I don't have access to the actual wording you are referring to. (I think that it only exists within the zipper set up, ie. folks only see it as they are operating the zipper).
If I recall correctly I think that the confusion comes in because some folks read it as somewhat like a "double negative". One of those "yes means no" kind of deals. If you want to use caller ID, then you need the box to reboot. It has to reboot in order to reset the fakecall - so that the box doesn't actually call in, if it did it would download new software and kill your hacks. It's the folks that are not using caller ID, that don't hook up their phone lines, that don't have to worry about the box trying to call in that don't necessarily need the box to reboot.
Read the question in the zipper again real "slowly and carefully", with the idea that you do need it to reboot since you will be leaving your phone line attached.
willardcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #2524
Porterx

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardcpa
This came up some time ago. I don't have access to the actual wording you are referring to. (I think that it only exists within the zipper set up, ie. folks only see it as they are operating the zipper).
If I recall correctly I think that the confusion comes in because some folks read it as somewhat like a "double negative". One of those "yes means no" kind of deals. If you want to use caller ID, then you need the box to reboot. It has to reboot in order to reset the fakecall - so that the box doesn't actually call in, if it did it would download new software and kill your hacks. It's the folks that are not using caller ID, that don't hook up their phone lines, that don't have to worry about the box trying to call in that don't necessarily need the box to reboot.
Read the question in the zipper again real "slowly and carefully", with the idea that you do need it to reboot since you will be leaving your phone line attached.
Thanks, I think I understand it now. I want callerID and reboot so I say no.

Porter
Old 09-28-2007, 11:33 AM   #2525
rbautch
User

Quote:
I had to figure out that the ptvupgrade prompt is correct. It is the prompt used until executing zipper.
You said "PTVnet prompt" in your earlier post. That's what made me think you had the wrong CD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #2526
Porterx

Quote:
You said "PTVnet prompt" in your earlier post. That's what made me think you had the wrong CD.
Yeah, sorry about the confusion.

This a a killer app. Applause to you and everyone who had a hand in it.

When I was networking my standalone tivo, I had an app that would graphically display used and remaining disk space. Does someone know the name of or have a link to that or something similar that works with the directivo's?

Thanks,
Porter
Old 09-29-2007, 01:19 AM   #2527
Porterx

Quote:
Thanks for your help. It's finally working, mostly. I used a test 160gb drive.
There's trouble in paradise. I ran zipper on my 500gb drive and now I can't connect to my router. I don't have a link light only the occasional activity light. It worked fine with the 160gb drive. The only thing that's changed is the drives.

Do I need to run zipper again? Could I have answered a zipper question incorrectly? I remember telling it that I wouldn't be using wireless and I gave it my tivo and router ip addresses. Is there something else that I can do?

I had made a serial cable years ago but never used it and don't know how to use it. I still have it though.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Porter
Old 09-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #2528
Jim517

HD hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Goon
You'll need a PROM mod before you can do anything. Telnet works, and I believe you can modify your box for a serial console for troubleshooting. Some hacks are compatible, but most probably still require some updating.
Thanks for the reply.... as far as the PROM mod is concerned.... is it a replacement PROM chip or a re-flash of a prom chip..... and where would I find it?

Thanks again... as you can tell.... REAL newbie here.....
Jim517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #2529
rbautch
User

Quote:
Yeah, sorry about the confusion.

This a a killer app. Applause to you and everyone who had a hand in it.

When I was networking my standalone tivo, I had an app that would graphically display used and remaining disk space. Does someone know the name of or have a link to that or something similar that works with the directivo's?

Thanks,
Porter
The "info" feature of Tivowebplus allows you to check remaining disk space.

or

Old 09-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #2530
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim517
Thanks for the reply.... as far as the PROM mod is concerned.... is it a replacement PROM chip or a re-flash of a prom chip..... and where would I find it?

Thanks again... as you can tell.... REAL newbie here.....
It's not a DIY project. Here is more information.

or

Old 09-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #2531
rbautch
User

Quote:
There's trouble in paradise. I ran zipper on my 500gb drive and now I can't connect to my router. I don't have a link light only the occasional activity light. It worked fine with the 160gb drive. The only thing that's changed is the drives.

Do I need to run zipper again? Could I have answered a zipper question incorrectly? I remember telling it that I wouldn't be using wireless and I gave it my tivo and router ip addresses. Is there something else that I can do?

I had made a serial cable years ago but never used it and don't know how to use it. I still have it though.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Porter
Not sure what the issue is, but the drive shouldn't matter. Rerunning the Zipper may fix it. If not, serial console output would help. What adapter are you using? In the future, please keep Zipper questions in the Zipper thread. Your chances of getting help are better, since more people monitor that thread than this one.

or

Old 09-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #2532
Porterx

Quote:
The "info" feature of Tivowebplus allows you to check remaining disk space.
Thanks. If I ever get it networked, I'll check that out.

No suggestions on the other thing huh?

Porter

Edit: Yes that works fine if you're sitting at your computer. The one I used had a graphic overlaid on Now Playing that showed disk space graphically and numerically.

Last edited by Porterx : 10-18-2007 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #2533
dturturro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig
I'm a Linux/Tivo newb, I need explicit instructions!

Edit - Hey, I think I found the explicit instructions I need! http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tivo...ki.net/37.html
I'm trying to send tweak.sh to my PTVUpgraded TiVo using Hyperterminal and the file send screen keeps coming up with Bad Data Packet. I'm on Win XP Pro. Any ideas how to fix this? I don't know of any other way to send tweak.sh to /hacks.
dturturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 PM   #2534
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro
I'm trying to send tweak.sh to my PTVUpgraded TiVo using Hyperterminal and the file send screen keeps coming up with Bad Data Packet. I'm on Win XP Pro. Any ideas how to fix this? I don't know of any other way to send tweak.sh to /hacks.
I use Filezilla to transfer files into my Dtivo. Have you tried it?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #2535
mendodave

Wireless vs. Wired

Hi all,

I did this upgrade to two of my Dtivos, successfully, and greatly appreciated. I could not leave well enough alone, however and started playing with the second box. I switched to wireless networking, and since I don't have a wireless adapter, I can't access the box anymore. D'oh!

I know I can use a cable to fix this, but can't I pull the HD, attach to a windoze box, and edit the tivo.cfg file to fix it? I would rather not re-Zipper it.

If the filename I am looking for isn't the tivo.cfg file, does someone know what it is and if I am on the right track?

thanks!

David
mendodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:44 PM   #2536
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendodave
but can't I pull the HD, attach to a windoze box, and edit the tivo.cfg file to fix it?
No, you can't just connect it to a windoze box, it won't understand the tivo partition scheme. You may be able to do that if you compile tivopart under cygwin, but it would probably be easier just to boot with a linux disk such as the one you used for the zipper process, and mount it that way. There is no "tivo.cfg" file, the closest thing would be the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author file which runs at startup and most people use to start up their hacks. You could edit rc.sysinit.author with a call to a networking script with the appropriate ip params set. The network settings are stored in the MFS database, so you can't access them with the drive in a pc. You'd need a script to run while the tivo is "live" to do so, since you can't exactly "mount" MFS.
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:46 PM   #2537
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
You can't use ftp over a serial connection. He probably needs to make root writable first or change terminal settings.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #2538
mendodave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Goon
No, you can't just connect it to a windoze box, it won't understand the tivo partition scheme. You may be able to do that if you compile tivopart under cygwin, but it would probably be easier just to boot with a linux disk such as the one you used for the zipper process, and mount it that way. There is no "tivo.cfg" file, the closest thing would be the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author file which runs at startup and most people use to start up their hacks. You could edit rc.sysinit.author with a call to a networking script with the appropriate ip params set. The network settings are stored in the MFS database, so you can't access them with the drive in a pc. You'd need a script to run while the tivo is "live" to do so, since you can't exactly "mount" MFS.
ok. crap. sounds like i have to make or buy that cable.

or.......put the drive in a linux box

thanks,

david
mendodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #2539
dturturro

Quote:
Ok, I got the file over and ran it but 30 sec skip was not enabled upon reboot. I searched and saw something about Hackman in TWP, but I can't find it in TWP 2. Is there an individual hack I can put on for that?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #2540
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Ok, I got the file over and ran it but 30 sec skip was not enabled upon reboot. I searched and saw something about Hackman in TWP, but I can't find it in TWP 2. Is there an individual hack I can put on for that?
Search this forum for "30 sec". The results may give you the answer. One of them is a reply from Rbautch indicating that maybe tweak.sh may not run if you didn't originally use the zipper, I see you used PTVupgrade originally (he offers a "fix" for this). Some of the other results mention the S-P-S-30 (maybe its got another "S" on the end of it, I can't remember its been ages since I've used it?). "backdoor", but if I recall correctly that needs to be re-entered every time the box reboots.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #2541
dturturro

did that already. posted it in my message. is there a way to just add PERMENANT 30 second skip?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #2542
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
...is there a way to just add PERMENANT 30 second skip?
Yes, using a tivoapp patch. Looking thru your previous posts I'm assuming HR10-250 running 6.3d. If it's different, don't do this, the patch locations not may be the same, and the side effects could be bad. If you are running 6.3d, then do:
Code:
cd /tvbin
mount -o remount,rw /
mv tivoapp tivoapp.orig
cp tivoapp.orig tivoapp
echo -ne "\x10\x40\x00\x2b" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6713220
sync
mount -o remount,ro /
reboot

Last edited by Da Goon : 10-28-2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:56 AM   #2543
dturturro

thanks, I'll try that today!

Ok, I tried it, rebooted and 30 second skip was not enabled. I was able to program it with S-P-S-3-0-S. Any ideas where to go from here?

Last edited by dturturro : 10-28-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #2544
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

There's not any reason it should not have worked unless you're running another sw version or made a typo. I'd put my original tivoapp back in place to avoid issues due to a bad patch.
Quote:
Any ideas where to go from here?
Try it again. That's the only way to make it permanent.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #2545
dturturro

Question vmlinux missing

I've had several problems trying to zipper my drive. I want to start from scratch with a new CD so I redownloaded: lba48, an instant cake 6.3d image, the zipper script and superpatch (I want 30 second skip to stay permenant on my HR10-250). I unzipped everything and put the items in the tools directory but I'm missing vmlinux.px.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong or how to fix it? Before suggesting 'search' I did that and only saw posts regarding the program not running. Nothing about it missing altogether.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:16 PM   #2546
incog-neato
ObamaGuy

TiVoWEB install failing & channel logos failing

2 separate problems:

#1) HR10-250 6.3D ..... script seems to hang up on "installing channel logos." Tried it twice. About 30 minutes later nothing is happening. It's worked many times with no problems in the past but I just upgraded my HR10 to 6.3D using Slicer so I reran your script. 3rd time I just skipped logos and then had this problem:

#2) Uninstall then reinstall .... keep getting this error (HR10-250 6.3D):

Code:
Do you want to install Tivowebplus? [y/n]: y
Installing TWP in root directory...
sed: bad option in substitution expression
/enhancements/start.sh: line 712:  1046 Broken pipe             cat /TivoWebPlus
/load.tcl
      1047 Done(1)                 | sed -e "s/TivoWebPlus/TivoWebPlus - $bashna
me/" >/TivoWebPlus/temp
Appending your rc.sysinit.author file to run TWP on startup
I attached the complete dialog as a file copied from the screen

Last edited by incog-neato : 02-29-2008 at 02:44 PM.
incog-neato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #2547
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by incog-neato
2 separate problems:

#1) HR10-250 6.3D ..... script seems to hang up on "installing channel logos." Tried it twice. About 30 minutes later nothing is happening. It's worked many times with no problems in the past but I just upgraded my HR10 to 6.3D using Slicer so I reran your script. 3rd time I just skipped logos and then had this problem:

#2) Uninstall then reinstall .... keep getting this error (HR10-250 6.3D):

Code:
Do you want to install Tivowebplus? [y/n]: y
Installing TWP in root directory...
sed: bad option in substitution expression
/enhancements/start.sh: line 712:  1046 Broken pipe             cat /TivoWebPlus
/load.tcl
      1047 Done(1)                 | sed -e "s/TivoWebPlus/TivoWebPlus - $bashna
me/" >/TivoWebPlus/temp
Appending your rc.sysinit.author file to run TWP on startup
I attached the complete dialog as a file copied from the screen
I was able to duplicate the logo hang on my HR10-250, but not any of my other Dtivos. I'll look into that. I was not able to duplicate the TWP error. It looks like it's failing when it tries to edit your load.tcl file to include your bash prompt name. It does this to customize the TWP menus to show "Family Room", "Bedroom", etc., to distinguish one tivo from another.

or

Old 10-31-2007, 09:22 PM   #2548
incog-neato
ObamaGuy

Don't know if it matters, but I have 1 correction. It should read "I just upgrade to 6.3E (not D). Sorry.

Is there a way I can try using my previous RBAUTCH_FILES.TGZ which worked last time? I have no option other then to download the newest update which might be the problem.

Quote:
I was able to duplicate the logo hang on my HR10-250, but not any of my other Dtivos. I'll look into that. I was not able to duplicate the TWP error. It looks like it's failing when it tries to edit your load.tcl file to include your bash prompt name. It does this to customize the TWP menus to show "Family Room", "Bedroom", etc., to distinguish one tivo from another.

incog-neato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:46 PM   #2549
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by incog-neato
Don't know if it matters, but I have 1 correction. It should read "I just upgrade to 6.3E (not D). Sorry.

Is there a way I can try using my previous RBAUTCH_FILES.TGZ which worked last time? I have no option other then to download the newest update which might be the problem.
if you used the Zipper, you can pull it off of there. The TWP distro included with the enhancement script hasn't changed in several months, so I doubt it would make a difference if you rolled back to an earlier version.

or

Old 10-31-2007, 10:58 PM   #2550
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Gonna use Slicer to go to 6.3e on one of my HR10-250s that's constantly rebooting and had a question. IIRC, someone once said that the instructions in The Slicer weren't exactly correct--something about not having to do the symlinks command or something.

Does anyone have the step-by-step instructions for using The Slicer after the slices have been installed? I'm basically looking to confirm what's exactly done after The Slicer runs.