TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #3751
tmesser

I'm quickly losing the energy to deal with Comcast.

My issue (only one working CableCARD) was escalated as an "incomplete work order," which I thought might result in some progress. I was promised return calls on two occasions and didn't receive them; when I called to ask why, I was told they'd left messages on my answering machine! I didn't leave my apartment at all yesterday because I was waiting for the phone to ring, and it never did, so that's a big pile of you-know-what.

After I called Comcast a third time, the eventual result was a call at 5pm from a deeply apologetic local supervisor who told me no more CableCARDs were available that day because the warehouse closed at 11:30am. The supervisor said he would get a tech out to my place with another card this morning between 8:00 and 10:00, and he would call me at 7:45 to give me the tech's ETA. Did I receive such a call this morning? Of course not.

The tech showed up at 9:15. With one CableCARD. Which immediately gave a 161-1 error when it was inserted. "And that's the only card I could get today. Guess I'll have to come back tomorrow." Is it really that hard to just leave a few cards for me at the local office? It would stop wasting everyone's time.

- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #3752
kdwarren

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmesser
I'm quickly losing the energy to deal with Comcast.

My issue (only one working CableCARD) was escalated as an "incomplete work order," which I thought might result in some progress. I was promised return calls on two occasions and didn't receive them; when I called to ask why, I was told they'd left messages on my answering machine! I didn't leave my apartment at all yesterday because I was waiting for the phone to ring, and it never did, so that's a big pile of you-know-what.

After I called Comcast a third time, the eventual result was a call at 5pm from a deeply apologetic local supervisor who told me no more CableCARDs were available that day because the warehouse closed at 11:30am. The supervisor said he would get a tech out to my place with another card this morning between 8:00 and 10:00, and he would call me at 7:45 to give me the tech's ETA. Did I receive such a call this morning? Of course not.

The tech showed up at 9:15. With one CableCARD. Which immediately gave a 161-1 error when it was inserted. "And that's the only card I could get today. Guess I'll have to come back tomorrow." Is it really that hard to just leave a few cards for me at the local office? It would stop wasting everyone's time.

I am worried the same will happen to me on Friday when we have our installation apt. We are not too far from Napperville

I sure hope there are some cards for me cause we work far from home and I can't take off work that much just for cable. stupid comcast!
Karen
kdwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #3753
BPlexico

Well still no luck for me - but I have spoken to some very nice people.

Called a Supervisor today and she offered to help.

So I gave her the serial number from the Motorola Multistream Cablecard itself. the Host ID, Data ID, Unit address, and the cablecard ID.

She doesnt seem to need the cablecard ID. (This by the way is the information that every previous person has entered into the HOST ID field at the Comcast office)

However she keeps getting an error message when entering the HOST ID, and confirmed that no one has successfully entered the HOSTID for my card since I got it.

She is very puzzled and is escalating the issue as she has never seen the error message she is getting (duplicate ID or somesuch) and given that she wrote the Cablecard installation guide for Comcast has no peers to turn to.

More to follow.

Barr
BPlexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #3754
tmesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdwarren
I am worried the same will happen to me on Friday when we have our installation apt. We are not too far from Napperville

I sure hope there are some cards for me cause we work far from home and I can't take off work that much just for cable. stupid comcast!
Karen
Yeah, I'm very glad I have a flexible schedule at work that allows me to come in later or occasionally work from home. Otherwise, this saga would likely take weeks.

Best of luck with your installation.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #3755
wizzy
S1, (2) S2, TivoHD

For those in Chicagoland

I see some new Chicago folks having fun with Comcast, so I'll repeat some lessons learned from earlier in the thread.

1) If you're in Chicago proper, pick up your cards at the North Ave location, and save a truck roll. It's across from Home Depot.
2) If you have premium channels, the front-line techs can't help you. You need to get put in the "four hour callback queue", and have someone from the Tinley Park office call you back.
3) If all else fails, call Comcast Executive Care at 800-630-2140. Only use this number if you have already failed when escalating through normal channels.

Good luck!
wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #3756
tmesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzy
1) If you're in Chicago proper, pick up your cards at the North Ave location, and save a truck roll. It's across from Home Depot.
I really wish this was an option for me.

Quote:
2) If you have premium channels, the front-line techs can't help you. You need to get put in the "four hour callback queue", and have someone from the Tinley Park office call you back.
My past experience with getting them to call me back outside of 8am-5pm has been abysmal. My work schedule is flexible, but I really can't stay home for half-days constantly, and I presume they're going to need to talk to me while I'm in front of the TiVo to confirm host/data IDs and such. Is that office open on weekends?

Quote:
3) If all else fails, call Comcast Executive Care at 800-630-2140. Only use this number if you have already failed when escalating through normal channels.
For now, I have a local supervisor's cell number from my caller ID. Thanks for the number; hopefully I won't need to use it.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #3757
TaterTot24
TiVo Addict!

Memphis, TN

Well I have called Comcast 6 times now requesting cable cards and each time I am told that someone from the Cable Card department will have to call me back because they are the only ones that handle requests for cable cards. I have been told each time that it would be 24-48 hours before I would recieve a call.

I have tried to get the "CableCard" department's phone number, but apparently the CSR's can only contact them through email -- so no luck there.

Yesterday when I called the first time, I was promised someone would call me back in 5 minutes. Five hours later, still no phone call. I finally decided to call back and ask for a manager/supervisor, but I was told I have to wait 24 hours for a manager to call me back (yeah right).

Everytime I talk to a CSR, they tell me that there is nothing that they can do except send another email. I am not sure what to do, because I cannot even get a hold of a manager....

I have been keeping a detailed log of people that I have talked to, but i guess I will have to actually go to a customer center to try to get things done.

I tried to have patience, but the first time that I called them was on 9/4/07 -- so it has been about 3 weeks...

Those of you in the Memphs, TN area.... you better start calling now...

~~UPDATE:~~

I used the LiveChat service through Comcast's website and was actually able to get an appointment setup.

I requested that installer bring both M-cards and S-Cards AND that the installer has addtional cards in case of failure.

A one time installation fee of $40 was all that I was charged...

I guess I will have to wait and see how the installation goes -- It is this Saturday!

Last edited by TaterTot24 : 09-27-2007 at 01:21 PM.
TaterTot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #3758
Diluted

Well, after reading through this thread I am scared about what will happen here in Albuquerque when the installer arrives to my house tomorrow morning.

I called to confirm that the installer will be bringing at LEAST 2 S-Cards (they claim M-Cards are not available here yet) and they claimed that 2 are listed on the workorder, and that the installer will usually bring extra because about 1 in 5 CC's don't work (!!!).

the night I got my TiVo HD, I did take the M-Card out of my SA 4250HDC and put it in my TiVo. It worked fine, except for the encrypted channels. I thought about playing dumb and calling them to re-activate, but I figured at least for the beginning I will play along with their rules and see if the S-cards work for me. My friend bought an S3 a few weeks ago and it took 7 visits for his CC setup, so I am crossing my fingers.
Diluted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #3759
jak117

Quote:
My past experience with getting them to call me back outside of 8am-5pm has been abysmal. My work schedule is flexible, but I really can't stay home for half-days constantly, and I presume they're going to need to talk to me while I'm in front of the TiVo to confirm host/data IDs and such. Is that office open on weekends?
I received a call back via the "four hour callback queue" at 9:30pm, so they are open during non-business hours. I was able to request that they call during a specific time period that I knew I would be home.
jak117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:15 PM   #3760
TriMan262

Up and Running

Quote:
I see some new Chicago folks having fun with Comcast, so I'll repeat some lessons learned from earlier in the thread.

Good luck!
Wizzy, you were right on. I initially called weeks ago and was told I needed a truck roll and scheduled an apointment. Due to my schedule I had to keep rescheduling appointments so decided today I would just go by Comcast on North Ave. and indeed, had no problems whatsoever in picking one M-Card up. I will say there was quite a line at the comcast store(waited about 30 min.). I initially called and got the first activation(which was useless) then called later in the evening(around 9:30 PM) and they escalated my call and said I would receive a call back. I was expecting to be called the next day, but no more than 10 minutes later I got a call from the cablecard support, I gave him all the pertinent details and numbers and they had me up and running in no time.

After reading about so many horror stories, I for one am feeling pretty relieved and happy to be back with tivo again.
TriMan262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #3761
sirius

Good Evening,

When I first got my TIVO HD series 3 I picked up one cable card (a S card). Today I decided to pick up a 2nd card. This time they gave me a M card. I did not even notice till i got home. I inserted the M card where the S card use to be, called Comcast and they said you are already to go. I then restarted my Tivo and inserted the S card (which I previously had) into slot 2. My Tivo is still only seeing one tuner.

Tivo does see a cable card in both slot 1 and 2

. Did I screw up by putting the new M card into slot 1 which had been previously paired with my original S card? I should add that when I got home before I had even inserted the M card in the TIVO there was a message from TIVO saying something about a new cable card and that it had to reset up the channel guide.

I hope this makes sense

Brad
sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:35 PM   #3762
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius
Good Evening,

When I first got my TIVO HD series 3 I picked up one cable card (a S card). Today I decided to pick up a 2nd card. This time they gave me a M card. I did not even notice till i got home. I inserted the M card where the S card use to be, called Comcast and they said you are already to go. I then restarted my Tivo and inserted the S card (which I previously had) into slot 2. My Tivo is still only seeing one tuner.

Tivo does see a cable card in both slot 1 and 2

. Did I screw up by putting the new M card into slot 1 which had been previously paired with my original S card? I should add that when I got home before I had even inserted the M card in the TIVO there was a message from TIVO saying something about a new cable card and that it had to reset up the channel guide.

I hope this makes sense

Brad
If you have a TiVoHD, the M card in slot 1 should work for both tuners. If you have a Series3, it only supports S cards right now, though an M card will function but only as if it were an S card.

The TiVoHD has the CableCARD slots in the front. The Series3 has them in the back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #3763
sirius

I have the Series 3 (cards go in the back) TIVO sees's two cards, but only one Tuner is working.

The TIVO diagnostics see's both cards and says they are both operating normally.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:43 AM   #3764
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius
I have the Series 3 (cards go in the back) TIVO sees's two cards, but only one Tuner is working.

The TIVO diagnostics see's both cards and says they are both operating normally.
You can't use only one MCard in an Original S3 and get dual tuner functionality. You need either:
- 2 SCards
- 2 MCards
- 1 of each (haven't tried this myself)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:22 AM   #3765
sirius

I called Comcast and they re hit my new card. Now both work just fine.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #3766
notabbott

I'm now up and running. Hard to tell just what we did this time with the second card, because it hadn't been properly registered to my account since the tech visit last week. Given the previous history, I don't know that this would have been the only thing holding me back.

But we removed card 1 in the process this time to check its serial number and reinserted it before hitting both, so I'd be curious to see if that addresses the "card 1 works but card 2 only gets local channels" problem.
notabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #3767
Diluted

Ohhhh, god, it's all true. All 126 pages of it.

Tech came this morning, had 2 cards, thank heaven. He actually worked tech support for TiVo in the call center here, so he was fairly clueful. I thought we were home free, but after about 20 minutes of dicking around with it, only one of the cards worked, and he didn't have any more and couldn't get any mor til tomorrow. limping along with a single tuner at the moment, and not sure yet if it gets all the HD stuff.

uggggghhhh.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #3768
bpmarkowitz

Well, my problems are documented here in the thread.

Basically, I called Comcast here in Richmond, VA trying to get CableCards for 3 weeks and they kept telling me they were out and my only option was to call back "tomorrow". I called and called every day for 2 weeks. Finally I called Comcast Corporate offices and asked to speak with someone in Customer Retention.

I spoke with a very nice lady...She was appalled by the situation and told me she would call me back within the hour. She did, and told me the local office would call me the next business day (it was last Friday). On Monday local lady calls, very nice. Said the earliest they could come out was Wednesday. I got a very nice tech, Told me he had done about 20 HD Tivo/Series 3 HD Tivos here in the Richmond Area. He also had about 8 M cards with him. First one had a question mark written on it...but he wanted to try it anyway. That one was a bust, but the second one worked just fine. He said the "adding everything to the package then removing things" was the method he had found always worked.

He called in and had the lady hit it with everything and then had her start removing stuff one by one. When he told her to take off HBO, Starz, etc the gal said somewhere along the line they had given me HBO and Starz for one year free for my troubles and it was noted in the account.

So far, so good!

Moral of the story...if you are getting dicked around call the Corp. office.

I know a lot of people are having trouble, so I wanted to post my story with a happy ending to give some of you hope.
bpmarkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #3769
tmesser

Tech didn't show up yesterday morning. Called the supervisor's cell yesterday afternoon, left a very polite (but firm) message, no return call as of this moment.

I'm ready to call corporate.

Last edited by tmesser : 09-28-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #3770
Jon65

I've been very fortunate with my Comcast experiences in Carroll County, MD. I've been up and running for a couple weeks now. After the initial install bumps (not too big and listed in here somewhere) all has been well. I got my bill this week, and as expected, had an additional outlet charge of $8, as well as a "CableCard HD 1Way" charge of $3.00. So, pressing my luck, I tried to get the additional outlet charge removed this morning, using the online chat. Well, that was easy! Too easy, actually. About an hour ago I lost my digital channels. Back onto the chat I go, and after trying various things, finally had to add the additional outlet back on to make it work. Now everything is back and working.

I'm torn between leaving this alone and working, and paying the extra $8/mo. I don't have too much time to fool around with this, so I'm paying the $8.

Jon
Jon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:23 PM   #3771
kdwarren

Angry

Quote:
Tech didn't show up yesterday morning. Called the supervisor's cell yesterday afternoon, left a very polite (but firm) message, no return call as of this moment.

Our tech called and canceled after my hubby took off work.

I tried the romeoville office and they don't have cards.

Oh well next Sat is our next apt. I hope we can find cards before then.

Does the North Ave one have cards now? that is kind of far for me to drive but I am thinking about it.

I may be calling corp and maybe even submitting a BBB claim.

karen
Old 09-29-2007, 02:29 AM   #3772
Cyrl

Being new to this forum I almost feel bad that my cablecard install went smooth. Techs came out (comcast techs, not contractors, maybe it helps to try somehow to make sure you get non-contractors) and we sat around 15 minutes chatting, discussing xbox 360 games while they waited on hold to get in touch with someone at the office, they had instructions for cable cards to call BEFORE doing anything else. They gave them the ID off the card and we stuck it in the box, they tried to authorize it but it refused to work, apparently this card had been removed from the supervisors office TV and was "known to work" lol, but yeah it must have still been associated to that TV.

Anyway, we put the next card in (they had 3) after they give them the number, then we read the number off the tivo (only 2 numbers used per card not 3) and the card starts "Updating the firmware" and indicated it may take up to 40 minutes, so much MUCH more bs'ing later the card finishes after about 15 minutes. Everything looks good in the screens, we put the second card in and nothing is happening yet, then a few minutes later it starts firmware updating and it finishes out about 10 minutes after that. At first the only HD's I got in were the locals then slowly the other channels started to come in, and now everything is working on both tuners. Total install was about an hour and 10 minutes and within 15 minutes after being finished all the channels would tune.

Now the impressive part to me was that after all of this, I re-ran guided setup and the TIVO was smart enough to remap all my season passes from the HD ota channels to the HD's provided by the cable card. I removed the OTA antenna for now since I dont' really need it

it seems that it CAN go smoothly if you luck out, but the horror stories here really did have me worried. I'll try to see if I can find out what was done on my account by the people the techs called to see if it can help anyone out. I know a few people who may be able to help me out with that.
Cyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:25 AM   #3773
ShadeD1

In Houston Texas things went without a hitch. Got a M Card in my TivoHD and other than a 30 min. time on hold with the activation number) everything went fine. The tech (when I finally got them on the line) was quite knowledgeable.
ShadeD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:59 AM   #3774
kdwarren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrl
Now the impressive part to me was that after all of this, I re-ran guided setup and the TIVO was smart enough to remap all my season passes from the HD ota channels to the HD's provided by the cable card. I removed the OTA antenna for now since I dont' really need it
I am so glad you posted this! I will keep adding my season passes until I get my cards now that I know they will search for the HD versions!

thanks! karen
Old 09-29-2007, 09:24 AM   #3775
sbird

Success (with just one glitch) in Chicago suburbs!

Called Comcast requesting CableCards. Gal knew nothing about multi-stream vs. single stream. So just said that they don't have multi-stream.

Tech arrived to do install. Had a multi-stream card (!!!) but still wanted to put in it PLUS a single stream card. Convinced him this wasn't necessary.

Install went easily. Checked the digital channels. All looked well. He took off before I could check ALL of the channels. Mistake.

Multiple non-premium basic cable channels were not being decoded by the card. Channels were still there on the TV, just not via the TiVo.

Called tech support. She tried to re-initialize the card remotely but that didn't help. Scheduled a return service call.

That same evening a "CableCard specialist" from Tinley Park called, re-inited the card, and all channels started working. Not sure what special commands he has available that tech support didn't use but it works!

Not sure how you'd get to the Tinley Park guy but he was able to fix my issues...
sbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #3776
notabbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdwarren
Does the North Ave one have cards now? that is kind of far for me to drive but I am thinking about it.
Well, they said they'd call me when they had some, and they haven't called me, but I wouldn't necessarily take that to be indicative of anything.
notabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #3777
ji0005

Quote:
Originally Posted by notabbott
Well, they said they'd call me when they had some, and they haven't called me, but I wouldn't necessarily take that to be indicative of anything.
I picked up an Mcard from North Ave yesterday. They said they had 2 left.

Mine is not working yet.. but getting one is 1/2 the battle.

Last edited by ji0005 : 09-29-2007 at 11:56 AM.
ji0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #3778
tmesser

Quote:

I figured I would try to get another installation appointment through the technical assistance menus on their regular toll-free number. I explained the situation clearly (incomplete work order, only one card, need another). They scheduled an appointment for 11am-1pm today.

Two techs showed up a few minutes ago with NO CARDS saying they'd simply been dispatched on a regular trouble call. They also had the gall to ask me to sign their work order, which I refused to do.

I'm done with trying to do this through normal channels. Executive Care is closed on weekends, but they'll be hearing from me Monday morning. This is absurd.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:03 PM   #3779
Diluted

Further frustration here in Albuquerque.

The tech yesterday got one card working perfectly, 100%, and the second got the non-encrypted stuff. The technician comes today and pulls both cards out, including the working one, and puts in two new cards. These cards fail to pull ANY channels. He makes some calls and tells me it's a problem at the head office and there's nothing that can be done.

No TiVo at all, and no idea when things might be fixed either.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #3780
TaterTot24
TiVo Addict!

Memphs, TN

In Response to This Post

Well my appointmet was for Today from 12-2pm and at 1:45pm someone called me and said that a cable card tech is only available Mon-Fri. So I had to reschedule for Monday and I got a $20 credit for a missed appointment.

This is only after I called to confirm the appointment both on Thursday and Friday. I swear they are SO incompetent....

Current Model:
TiVo HD
TaterTot24 is offline   Reply With Quote