TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #271
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpepling
It is slot #2 . Does that mean anything? As far as I can tell it doesn't always have a problem. I'm going to look at it more closely tonight to verify that though.
Ah ha! My theory holds. I rule!

It seems like most of the posts about CC problems highlight the worst offenders as being loaded in slot #2 for some reason...even when the cards are exchanged with each other.

I've no idea why (likely explained by some high-tech processing jargon), but based on absolutely unscientific evidence culled from massive input here on the forum (at least a dozen posts or so), it appears programs tuned to channels using the CC in slot #2 on the TiVo S3 and in particular TiVo HD have a greater chance of poor PQ if there's even a hint of a problem with the installed cable cards. Some folks have gone through three or four sets of CC's before things improved.

Seriously, hope it gets straightened out...I know how frustrating these sorts of things can be!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #272
cwoody222

I have a S3 (not a HD) running the new 9.x software. I have never had CableCARDs. I'm not using QAM. I get my HD via OTA only.

Last year (my first year with OTA) I would notice minor pixelations here and there... due to loss of signal during bad weather, etc. Lately I'm seeing pixelation that looks... different.

Instead of just little blurps of pixelation here and there on the screen, now the entire screen is almost gone. I can't quite explain it but it is definately different than signal loss.

I only started to notice it after 9.x but that could just be because I'm watching more HD content this week (fall premieres). But again, I NEVER saw this at all last year. I'm worried pixelation is happening on OTA stations now, not just CableCARDs! Strangely, so far, I've only seen this on one channel. But I saw it on consecutive nights so I can't quite blame weather-induced signal loss.

I took a picture of what I'm seeing. Is this what the pixelation discussed here and elsewhere in regards to CableCARDs looks like?

Old 09-27-2007, 10:23 AM   #273
johnnylundy

Installed my 2 single-stream Motorola CableCARDs this morning in my new TiVo HD. (TiVo HD needs its own forum!). As expected, I had to walk the Comcast installer through it, to make sure he didn't shove both cards in at once or get freaked out by the 161-4 error code, or remove a card while it was getting read or updated.

All went smoothly and so far, after just a few minutes of viewing, I have no pixelation. If I do start to get it I plan to

- make sure I am using card slot 1
- use an HDMI cable instead of component
- check the signal levels
- remove the splitter I have that is still going to the Moto 3416 that I am keeping in case I have to return the TiVo HD.

Will update on my experience.

QUESTION: are the TiVo menus supposed to be 16:9 stretched horizontally? My TiVo HD seems to switch itself to 16:9 to display TiVo Central and all of the supporting menus. I have not found a combination of TiVo aspect/signal and TV settings that changes this.
johnnylundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #274
cwoody222

In Settings there's a Display option to tell TiVo you have a a 16x9 set. In another menu you can set the output type (1080i, etc).

Even set at 16x9 the menus are still stretch a bit. Some of the on-screen graphics (like the TiVo guy in the upper left) won't look stretched on 16x9. But on-screen text and other graphics will still be stretched. They don't have a whole 'nother set of menus for widescreen sets.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #275
mazman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222
I took a picture of what I'm seeing. Is this what the pixelation discussed here and elsewhere in regards to CableCARDs looks like?

That's how it looks for me.
mazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #276
cwoody222

Yikes! TiVo... I think we have the dreaded pixelation problem bleeding into OTA on 9.x! Boo!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:19 PM   #277
stmckin

I'm using Moto cards in the S3 and had intermittent pixelation on a couple HD channels only....

using the S3 cable strength meter I saw that level was low on those two channels only...

I got all retro to the DirecTV days and went backward and checked each coax connection all the way to the underground coming to the house and found a connection that was getting rainwater dripping on it occasionally on the exterior.. cleaned, tightened, repositioned and tada.. problem solved...
stmckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:44 PM   #278
johnnylundy

Quote:
In Settings there's a Display option to tell TiVo you have a a 16x9 set. In another menu you can set the output type (1080i, etc).
Mine seems to change resolutions whenever I hit the TiVo Central button. I can't really figure out what it is changing from, as I do have it set to 16:9 and I have my TV set to 16:9 also. I currently have the TiVo video output set to Native, though my TV can only do 720p. All of the manuals and tip sheets seem to imply that the output settings are a matter of trial and error, so I will continue to try different ones and see if I can get a smooth transition. I would not mind if the TiVo HD would just default to 4:3 for its menus if that would prevent the resolution switch it seems to be doing.

Or maybe it is the Component output that I am using. I still have my HDMI cable connected to the Moto 3416.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:06 PM   #279
cwoody222

Do you have 9.x yet? Doesn't the HD unit "flicker" a bit when it switches resolutions? I don't know if that's fixed in 9.x for the HD's but I think it happened before... IIRC...
Old 09-28-2007, 08:53 AM   #280
johnnylundy

Quote:
Do you have 9.x yet? Doesn't the HD unit "flicker" a bit when it switches resolutions? I don't know if that's fixed in 9.x for the HD's but I think it happened before... IIRC...
I haven't checked anything yet this morning - Springsteen is playing the Today Show and well, you know.. but I did let the TiVo do Guided Setup and sit for 2 days before installing the CableCARDs, and it did not say it was refreshing firmware... I will check the software version shortly.

Changing to "720 mixed" (720p for HD and 480i for SD) fixed the delay in getting the TiVo Central menu. With "Native", it was outputting 1080i and switching back every time I went to the TiVo Central.

BUT - now this morning I am getting macroblocking and breakup in sound ans picture. Dammit dammit - going to investigate that. I had a 93% signal on both tuners last night.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #281
bensler

In regards to pixelation, does anyone have a suggestion for me to go and buy an outdoor or indoor antenna? Does one work better than the other? Why do you have to re-run the set up with an antenna? Is there something that you must re-set. I think my pixelation problems with Comcast will never end. Time to try something different...Thanks to all of you that respond!
bensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:33 AM   #282
lhntx

Location: Houston (my family has been here for five generations)
I called Comcast yesterday and reminded them about all of the problems that I have been having for months with the really bad pixelization on both of my Series 3 w/ cablecards, the 3 visits from techs, their refusal to do anything, etc. and since they are about to raise our rates - I want it fixed! I was told that there are new types of cable cards now available that "talk back", so that I should exchange my current cable cards and this should fix the problem. Has anyone else heard about the new cards or done this? I'm in Houston.
lhntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #283
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhntx
I called Comcast yesterday and reminded them about all of the problems that I have been having for months with the really bad pixelization on both of my Series 3 w/ cablecards, the 3 visits from techs, their refusal to do anything, etc. and since they are about to raise our rates - I want it fixed! I was told that there are new types of cable cards now available that "talk back", so that I should exchange my current cable cards and this should fix the problem. Has anyone else heard about the new cards or done this? I'm in Houston.
It's amazing how completely moronic the cable company CSR's and techs are.

They are probably referring to the MCARDS. But this has nothing to do with "talking back", and will do nothing to improve your picture quality.

Do a search here for MCARD, or CableCard 2.0, and you'll get more info, but it's really just for your education so you can slap the CSR/Tech around when they tell you dumb things. It won't do anything for your pixellation.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #284
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensler
In regards to pixelation, does anyone have a suggestion for me to go and buy an outdoor or indoor antenna? Does one work better than the other? Why do you have to re-run the set up with an antenna? Is there something that you must re-set. I think my pixelation problems with Comcast will never end. Time to try something different...Thanks to all of you that respond!
the Zeneth / Philips Silver Sensor
Old 09-30-2007, 05:59 PM   #285
johnnylundy

Quote:

Update and a question which I forgot: now on about 4 days running with the TiVo HD with 2 single-stream Moto CableCARDs. I have absolutely NO pixelation or macroblocking.

Once I took out the splitter that was letting me share the TiVo with the Moto 3416, I now get 100% signal according to both the Setup screen and the individual channel signal strength graphic (the one with the varying pitch tone).

I am very pleased. There is no forgetting of recorded programs, no delay in responding to commands from the remote, and no forgetting of programs scheduled to record.

As well, having the TiVo interface back again is SO much of a delight. To-Do list, easy buttons to remember, auto-rewind 8 seconds, etc.

I did mean to ask you what you meant about the 9.x software. Mine shows 8.1xxx, and it has rebooted a couple of times and sat long enough that it should have gotten the latest download. I read elsewhere that 8.1 is good and 8.3 may be not so good, so I guess I won't push it.

But what is 9.x?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #286
bensler

Question about guided set up: has anyone re-run guided set up for whatever reason and in turn made the pixelation worse? I was at least getting 80% decent picture quality until today when the TIVO support suggested that I re-run guided set up to force a connection and maybe 9.1 would appear. Now that I have done that, I am getting pixelation on all of the HD channels, where prior to this I got pixelation on ABC HD and NBC HD. Now ESPN HD is terrible as well as TNT HD, etc. etc..

Thanks!
bensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #287
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylundy
I did mean to ask you what you meant about the 9.x software. Mine shows 8.1xxx, and it has rebooted a couple of times and sat long enough that it should have gotten the latest download. I read elsewhere that 8.1 is good and 8.3 may be not so good, so I guess I won't push it.

But what is 9.x?
9.1 is the newest release for both the THD and S3. It is just beginning to roll out and will probably take a week or more to complete. Prior to that 8.1 was the latest for THD and 8.3 was the latest for S3.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #288
FrostBite

is it safe to buy a TivoHD? have the problems been fixed?
FrostBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #289
bkdtv

Quote:
I have a S3 (not a HD) running the new 9.x software. I have never had CableCARDs. I'm not using QAM. I get my HD via OTA only.

Last year (my first year with OTA) I would notice minor pixelations here and there... due to loss of signal during bad weather, etc. Lately I'm seeing pixelation that looks... different.

Instead of just little blurps of pixelation here and there on the screen, now the entire screen is almost gone. I can't quite explain it but it is definately different than signal loss.

I only started to notice it after 9.x but that could just be because I'm watching more HD content this week (fall premieres). But again, I NEVER saw this at all last year. I'm worried pixelation is happening on OTA stations now, not just CableCARDs! Strangely, so far, I've only seen this on one channel. But I saw it on consecutive nights so I can't quite blame weather-induced signal loss.

What's the name of your affiliate?

What does Settings -> Channels show as your signal strength?

If signal strength is good, you might want to call the affiliate, ask for the engineering department, and then ask them a) what encoder they are using, and b) if they have upgraded the firmware on their encoder recently.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:06 AM   #290
TimSmith

Safe to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostBite
is it safe to buy a TivoHD? have the problems been fixed?
I want to know this as well. I have Verizon Fios and I really dislike the Moto cable box. I love TIVO but I'm really afraid of this pixelization issue.

I'd love to know what percentage of users this affects.
TimSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:59 AM   #291
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
What's the name of your affiliate?

What does Settings -> Channels show as your signal strength?

If signal strength is good, you might want to call the affiliate, ask for the engineering department, and then ask them a) what encoder they are using, and b) if they have upgraded the firmware on their encoder recently.
A local viewer had the same thing happen while watching OTA (which I was doing) AND while recording on his cable company DVR.

So the problem's at the station.

It's better this week so we're confident here the station engineers are on it.

The other viewer did NOT have a TiVo and also had the problem (on OTA and cable) so this is not a TiVo issue at all.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:49 PM   #292
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSmith
I want to know this as well. I have Verizon Fios and I really dislike the Moto cable box. I love TIVO but I'm really afraid of this pixelization issue.

I'd love to know what percentage of users this affects.
I suspect it is a small minority.

If you want to be safe, buy the TivoHD locally from Best Buy or Circuit City. Then pay the $25 to have Verizon install the CableCards. Before subscribing or prepaying for Tivo service, make sure you do not see pixelization on any channel (or any channel you care about). The most you are out is $25 for the install, plus another $25 to cancel if you don't have Verizon FiOS office locally where you can drop the cards off.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #293
johnnylundy

For what it's worth, I have Comcast, TiVo HD, and Motorola S-Cards. No pixelation at all. I checked signal strength and it is 100% on almost all of the SD channels, 98% on most of the HD channels, and there are a few channels (the Encore series) that are at 93% but even those come in fine.

I really expected to have the macroblocking/pixelation problem after reading here but apparently I am one of the lucky ones, at least so far.

I still show software 8.1 though. For some reason, even with reboots I don't get any software upgrade.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #294
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylundy
I still show software 8.1 though. For some reason, even with reboots I don't get any software upgrade.
Did you sign up for the new 9.1 software @ http://research.tivo.com/91priority/index.htm ?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #295
johnnylundy

Quote:
Did you sign up for the new 9.1 software @ http://research.tivo.com/91priority/index.htm ?

I did now. Thanks for the link.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:11 PM   #296
warrensomebody

I live in San Francisco and am thinking of moving to a Tivo HD with Comcast. Can anyone tell me what cable cards they use here? I'm hoping that it's a Motorola S-Card, and like JohnnyLundy, won't see pixelation. Does anyone see this sort of pixelation in the Bay Area? Thx,
warrensomebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:19 AM   #297
johnnylundy

Quote:
I signed up and on restart tonight I have the 9.1 software.

Still no pixelation - but I had to reboot to try and cure a situation where no channels were received on either tuner, and the TiVo background was black, although the menus still functioned and the info on the cards said they were fine. A reboot seems to have fixed it.

Just for fun I tried to see if http: //tivo_ip/nowplaying/index.html would connect - it won't.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #298
houman

I got the TivoHD over the week-end, and I noticed pixelation... I did sign up for 9.1.

My pixelation is not as bad as some other people here, but it comes and goes. I know it can't be the source, because before the TivoHD, I had the source (coax) plugged into my TV directly (Samsung LNT4661F) and I never had any pixelation problem.

Hopefully the 9.1 (whenever I get it) will fix this issue.

/cheers
Houman
houman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #299
johnnylundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by houman
I got the TivoHD over the week-end, and I noticed pixelation... I did sign up for 9.1.

My pixelation is not as bad as some other people here, but it comes and goes. I know it can't be the source, because before the TivoHD, I had the source (coax) plugged into my TV directly (Samsung LNT4661F) and I never had any pixelation problem.
Yep - I have a Samsung also, but I am not sure whether the TiVo may need a better signal than either the Samsung or the Motorola DVRs will tolerate.

Did you get Scientific Atlanta CCs, or Moto, or none yet?
Quote:
Hopefully the 9.1 (whenever I get it) will fix this issue.

/cheers
Houman
I have no pixelation, but I have the dead tuner problem that keeps coming and going - whether it was there the day before 9.1 I am just not sure. It varies between dead tuner on some channels and dead both tuners with black TiVo background - but recordings proceed normally even though you cannot see what is being recorded.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #300
houman

I decided not to get a CC's, I have WideOpenWest cable, and in addition of CC's cost they require you to upgrade to digital service (they give you more channels for those), but the cost goes up by another $30 a month. If I could just rent CC's I'd do it, but I don't want to upgrade my service really.

Again, my pixelation is not like others (not that bad) it just comes and goes, and I can live with it.
houman is offline   Reply With Quote