TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #1591
cprovo

Is there a way to have the component cables that run out of my Toshiba unit and convert it into some sort of hdmi adapter and have the hdmi cable plug into my tv? I've only used the component cables and wasn't sure if this was at all possible. Thanks!
cprovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #1592
azitnay

The following article discusses component to HDMI in detail:

http://www.sewellsupport.com/archive...urce=connector

As you can tell, it's not typically worth it unless you have a very good reason.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #1593
Skuits

***Humax Remote works with Toshiba RS-TX20, True or False?***

Hello all, I recently acquired a RS-TX20 and read on the Internet somewhere that the Humax DRT-400/800 peanut remote works with the RS-TX20?

These remotes seem to be a bit cheaper than the actual Toshiba replacement remote and because I am a cheapo I thought I'd save myself a few bucks if this were true?

Can anyone verify this for me??? I'd really appreciate any info you have, maybe someone has an extra remote they'd like to part with????

Thanks,

Mark
Skuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #1594
azitnay

Yep, the Toshiba RS-TX remotes are functionally equivalent to the Humax DRT remotes... In reality, the RS-TX and DRT units themselves are almost identical.

The main cosmetic difference between the two remotes is that one says "TOSHIBA" at the bottom and the other says "HUMAX"... If that doesn't bother you, go for the Humax.

Drew
Old 09-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #1595
Skuits

Thanks Drew for the quick info!!!

Enjoy the Day!!!!!

Mark
Old 09-25-2007, 04:11 AM   #1596
The Timmy

first post

Hi, I am The Timmy, and I am on my second RS-TX20 (first one crapped out).
wow.. people still using this machine, eh? and this thread is STILL going??

nice.

anyway, I got problem with my machine I have not seen addressed in all 54 or so pages of posts to this thread:

I'm going progressive out via component, and while live TV and burned DVDs (burned via TiVo and backups of retail discs (burned via PC)) look fine, they don't look quite as good as I'm thinking they should, because even though it's suppose to be progressive, I can still detect interlace flicker (I can understand live TV having it, but DVDs?).

but that's not the real issue I'm having. as I said, burned DVDs look fine. but actual retail discs don't work very much at all. when I put a retail DVD in and play it, I can see (very sharp and clearly) the FBI warnings and such, even the DVD menus, but once the movie starts, the screen goes black/blank (audio is fine). some kind of copyguard gone overboard?

I should also note that I'm going component out of the unit into the X2VGA 2, to a computer monitor (professional CRT) but I highly doubt that's the issue here.

[--and if you don't know, the X2VGA converts component video signals to true VGA that is [supposedly] 1:1 pixel accurate for 480p, 720p and 1080i (xbox looks awesome!)]

anyway, does anybody else experience this with their system using component/progressive out? the DVDs seem to play fine with composite out.

----

also, I'm getting the locking up during live TV and recording issue... it seemed to happen less often when I deleted a bunch of newer recorded stuff from the drive. where it was then replaced with occasional choppiness now and then during live TV accompanied by pixelation as if I were watching sports on satellite TV or something (I'm on cable..). it still locks up now and then. I'm guessing the HDD is going out.. but I'll deal with that later.

but is it really worth it to replace the harddrive if it can be expected to go out every 2 years or so (as stated in an earlier post)? if I can learn how to setup a new harddrive myself, it might not be such a big deal.
The Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #1597
SoKT

RF IN: any bypass for broken coax cable input?

Hello from a newbie! Here's my question: does anyone know of an adapter of some sort that acts as a conduit for the cable TV signal but can be delivered to the TX20 through the composite A/V cables instead of the RF IN? I don't have a cable box, and don't want to rent one. I've searched but haven't seen this question come up.

Here's the background: We just got a new Series3 to go with the HDTV, so we wanted to move our RS-TX20. My son was disconnecting the TX20 and the coax cable going from the wall to the "RF IN" was completely stuck. He pushed it a bit too hard, and it ended up with the input thing being dislodged and now unable to pick up the cable signal. I took it to an authorized repair shop and was quoted $125 to fix it - it seemed simple, but the input thing is housed in a 2x2" metal box that is attached to the big "chip" or circuit board - sorry I don't really know what to call all these things

The repair guy said I could use a cable box for input if I didn't want to fix the Toshiba problem, but I'd rather not pay $9 per month or whatever the box costs. When I asked if there were alternatives to a cable box that I could just purchase, he said a VCR might work as a conduit. Sadly, I haven't been able to get the old VCR to fill the role of the cable box, despite many different approaches during guided setup. Any ideas??

Thanks so much!

Kate
SoKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #1598
Chester_Lampwick

Kate,
I have a busted RS-TX20 I have no reason to believe the RF input is bad, but I cant test it. Would you want the main board for parts?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:09 PM   #1599
SoKT

Thanks Chester! I sent you a PM to discuss further.
K
SoKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:24 PM   #1600
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

SoKT,

A simple solution may be to check ebay and buy a used (possibly a new) cable box. You can get them pretty cheap. Especially since you only need a standard (not digital or HD) cable box. Just make sure you get one with composite outs.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #1601
Skuits

***Drive Firmware updates are they automatic, are they necessary???***

Hello all, I have an RS-TX20 and have a DVD drive firmware version of 1.15. Is there a newer firmware version? Does it even matter??? Why would I want to update, and how would I do it?

I was also wondering if anyone knows if the hard drives on these units spin all the time, even if you sleep the unit???

Thanks,

Mark
Old 10-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #1602
azitnay

The general rule with firmware is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Yes, the hard drive is active at all times, given that even if the unit isn't recording an actual show, it's at least buffering live TV. Many people will tell you, though, that it's better for the hard drive to remain active than for it to continuously spin up and down.

Drew
Old 10-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #1603
Skuits

Thanks for the info! Sounds like good advice!

Mark
Old 10-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #1604
mchabura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchabura
I bought an RS-TX20 on eBay a month or two ago and I've recently ran into some problems. Once the picture froze and I had to reboot the machine. All is well. Then a couple of weeks later, the signal went out, and the Tivo displayed the blue screen saying there was no signal to the Tivo and to try some things. I checked the signal to the other TVs in my house, but every one was fine. I rebooted the machine, and all is well again. Then recently, my Tivo has skipped some recordings, and according to the history, because there was no video signal (similar to what skatefan20 was describing).

Has anyone had a similar experience with the video trouble? Do I need to change the hard drive?
A few months ago I posted this question above where my RS-TX20 has not recorded some shows. When I go to the To Do list recording history, it says that the program didn't record because there was no video signal. I tried several things to remedy this. First, I thought the hard drive was going bad, so I replaced the hard drive with a new, larger hd using Instant Cake. Again, after a few weeks of recording with no issues, the same thing would happen. Then I thought that maybe the tuner input was faulty, so I connected the coax into a VCR and connected the composite out to the Tivo composite in. It ran fine for a few weeks, then it started happening again. It skipped a recording because there was no video signal. It seems as though rebooting the Tivo works for a few weeks but then it goes back to skipping recordings. I've seen it actually skip a recording with no signal. The tivo isn't picking up the signal, but when I disconnect it and connect the coax directly to the TV, the signal is there.

Any ideas? Is this a motherboard probelm? Can it be fixed??
mchabura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #1605
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Anyone know where I can get a new top lid for a RS-TX20? I have a perfect unit, except the top is scratched up like crazy.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:47 PM   #1606
Skuits

Don't know where you can get a lid, but Home Depot sells paint! Go crazy and customize it!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #1607
windracer
joined the 10k club

TX20 case mod!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #1608
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I was actually thinking about painting the lid black. I'll swap out my TiVoHD cover onto the Toshiba and see how it might look.
Slingbox M1

Old 10-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #1609
freeflycpi

Need Toshiba RS-TX60 Image

Hi,
Of course I didn't find this place until I had a problem, but there certainly a wealth of info here. Thanks to all that have posted.

However, I now need an image for my Toshiba RS-TX60. Does someone have one or direct me where to get it?

Thanks
freeflycpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #1610
rbtravis

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflycpi
Hi,
Of course I didn't find this place until I had a problem, but there certainly a wealth of info here. Thanks to all that have posted.

However, I now need an image for my Toshiba RS-TX60. Does someone have one or direct me where to get it?

Thanks
www.DVRupgrade.com
Old 10-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #1611
wmjolson

Remote codes for rs-tx20

I just got a new Samsung LCD TV, and I need the codes for the RS-TX20 remote.

Thanks!!!
wmjolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:32 AM   #1612
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I put the top lid from a TiVoHD on my RS-TX20 (they are the same lid, just different colors.) I didn't like the way it looked. I guess I'll buy some silver paint this weekend...
Slingbox M1

Old 10-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #1613
oldradio99

toshiba rs-tx20 dvd recorder failed

I have the above unit and I tried to burn a DVD for the first time in a few month

I am getting an error that all it says it cannot burn the DVD due to an internal error.

I used my DVD cleaner and still the same issue

Any suggestions and is this repairable?

I love my Toshiba
oldradio99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:19 PM   #1614
Skuits

***Tivo- Season Pass Suggestions Have Gone Too Far It's Profiling Me!!!

Hi all, so I am using my Tivo Plus trial with my TX-20 and have a lot of manual recordings whitch I actually prefer at this point. I added one season pass and now the thing is recording odd shows that it thinks I must like. Some of them are in Spanish!

How do I stop it from doing this? The dang thing has profiled me! I looked around the season pass manager and didn't see anything that would lead me to believe that I could alter the show suggestions.? What do you all think?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 10-20-2007, 11:23 PM   #1615
Skuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady
I was actually thinking about painting the lid black. I'll swap out my TiVoHD cover onto the Toshiba and see how it might look.

Go crazy and with the use of some masking tape give it flames! That would be cool! You could paint the flames a different color. Don't forget your clear coat, you can get that at your local auto parts store. Heck I might try it! The ultimate Tivo case mod!

Good luck,

Mark
Old 10-20-2007, 11:54 PM   #1616
Chester_Lampwick

Woodgrain. Go retro 70's
Old 10-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #1617
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuits
Hi all, so I am using my Tivo Plus trial with my TX-20 and have a lot of manual recordings whitch I actually prefer at this point. I added one season pass and now the thing is recording odd shows that it thinks I must like. Some of them are in Spanish!

How do I stop it from doing this? The dang thing has profiled me! I looked around the season pass manager and didn't see anything that would lead me to believe that I could alter the show suggestions.? What do you all think?

Thanks,

Mark
These are TiVo Suggestions, one of TiVo's flagship features.

You can disable them by going to TiVo Central -> Messages & Settings -> Settings -> Recording -> TiVo Suggestions.

Drew
Old 10-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #1618
Skuits

Thanks again Drew! My trial will be ending and I'll be back to basic, but this will save me a lot of frustration until then!

Thanks for the help,
Mark
Old 10-22-2007, 09:02 AM   #1619
fredct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuits
Thanks again Drew! My trial will be ending and I'll be back to basic, but this will save me a lot of frustration until then!

Thanks for the help,
Mark
If you actually started rating various shows (and not just a few), TiVo would have more information to go off of and would actually start making good suggestions.

I remember early on, the first thing I'd recorded was The Simpsons, so it thought I liked cartoons and started recording kids cartoons and kid shows. Now it knows me much better and I often have suggestions laying around of shows I actually like and enjoy watching when nothing's on. Its even found a few new ones for me.
fredct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:07 AM   #1620
cr33p

Do any of you folks have photos of the internal drive bracket on the rs-tx20 models? I am looking to see if it can be used to mount 2 drives in a Tivo HD model, but I cant seem to find any photos of the internal parts on a Toshiba model. Thanks
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote