TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #241
bensler

I am getting awful pixelation (series 3) and have had comcast come out 3 times to fix signaling issues, and also added in some amplifiers. I am still getting pixelation issues and was hoping someone could help me with suggestions. Did you have to return the cable cards several times and switch out cable cards before you received a good signal? Tivo keeps telling me it is the cards!
TIVO also told me that it was a software issue, but has retracted now and said that was for the TIVO HD models, and not series 3. I have no idea what to do. I want to make my TIVO work, but I have now 1. switched the cards out 8 times 2. had comcast come 3 times to my home.

please help!
bensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #242
justinmm2

Getting Severe Pixelation

Had my S3 for quite some time now, but just moved and got CableCards installed (I only had one before). As a previous poster said, it's just unwatchable. I've tried playing with the DD/PCM setting, no video smoothing, native output, 720p fixed, etc. thinking it was a CPU overload at first... then I tried a different splitter and that helped slightly but it's still almost constant pixelation on both tuners... I even tried that Radioshack attenuator with the knob... I picked one up last year. As described, if I cranked it up to max, I'd lose all signal, but anything else and it was still pixelated.

SD recordings/tuning is fine.

I've noticed in the signal strength that I'm mid-80's, spikes of low 80s and mid-90s... but I keep "losing" and "acquiring" signals very very briefly.

My Series3 is at 8.3.1-01-2-648. Is there any way I can upgrade it?

My cards are Motorola S-cards according to the diagnostics screen.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

Edit: I'm on FIOS, and tried it going directly from the wall, with splitters, etc.

Last edited by justinmm2 : 09-09-2007 at 06:24 PM.
justinmm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #243
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonnoah
Hi Folks this looks like very encouraging reports, however this seems to be for th Tivo HD and not the Tivo Series 3. I'm running with the series 3 and still have pixelation issues. Any thoughts? Any reason why this update wouldn't be released to Series 3 folks out there?
Discussion of Series 3 macroblocking issues can be found on this thread.

The recent upgrade for TiVo HD's was to address SA cable card issues. That hasn't been a problem for the original S3's. S3 firmware was upgraded from 8.1x to 8.3.1 about five months ago. (There was no v8.2) There were reports of macroblocking problems back then but they've pretty much cleared up.

If you're having macroblocking problems with your S3 there’s a good chance it’s a local signal issue. You should probably contact your local cableco. But again you can read more about it in the other thread.

Last edited by richsadams : 09-09-2007 at 09:35 PM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:41 PM   #244
bensler

Richsadam...please help

Richsadam or anyone else out there:

I have a series 3 TIVO. I had comcast come again today and they put in an amplifier for me. I have a couple of questions:
1. Does anyone think it would be beneficial for me to go out and buy a "better" amplifier? He brought the signal up to +2.3 (not sure what that means, but he said it was good).
2. Is this a cable card issue? Maybe I just need to switch out the cards - never mind, that it will be my 5th set of cards that i will be going to try out.
3. Is TIVO doing anything to help us? I called and at first they said it was a software issue, but has since retracted and said that I was misinformed and that they are not working on any software updates for series 3 - just the one that recently came out for the TIVO HD.

Any comments are very much appreciated!!! I am desperate to get some resolution. Fall tv is on its way and I get quite annoyed when a show I was planning on watching is drowned out with pixelation
Thanks!!!
bensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:24 AM   #245
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensler
Richsadams or anyone else out there:

I have a series 3 TIVO. I had comcast come again today and they put in an amplifier for me. I have a couple of questions:
1. Does anyone think it would be beneficial for me to go out and buy a "better" amplifier? He brought the signal up to +2.3 (not sure what that means, but he said it was good).
2. Is this a cable card issue? Maybe I just need to switch out the cards - never mind, that it will be my 5th set of cards that i will be going to try out.
3. Is TIVO doing anything to help us? I called and at first they said it was a software issue, but has since retracted and said that I was misinformed and that they are not working on any software updates for series 3 - just the one that recently came out for the TIVO HD.

Any comments are very much appreciated!!! I am desperate to get some resolution. Fall tv is on its way and I get quite annoyed when a show I was planning on watching is drowned out with pixelation
Thanks!!!
There are a number of things that can contribute to macroblocking, audio dropouts, etc. with the "Original S3's". It could well be that there is something wrong with TiVo, but generally it turns out to be a local issue such as signal strength (a signal that is too strong can be as bad as one that's too weak), cable cards, etc.

Here are my thoughts about your questions and others will hopefully chime in:

Quote:
1. Probably not. A better “investment” would be to get as clean a signal as possible to TiVo. Running a single, good quality coax cable directly from the wall to TiVo in the shortest way practical is your best bet. Modification of the incoming signal with amps, splitters, running coax through surge protectors, etc. can cause all sorts of issues. If the naked signal coming out of your wall needs amplifying, something is wrong ahead of that and Comcast should address it. TiVo doesn’t need an amplified signal to work properly…it needs a good, clean, “normal” signal.

Quote:
2. Could be, maybe not. Without further testing it’s impossible to tell. Are they SA (Scientific Atlanta) cards? If so, Motorola cards may improve things. Some claim to have gone through eight or more cards before they found ones that worked. Comcast may need to "re-hit" the cards you have. Rebooting TiVo (unplug it, wait 15 seconds and plug it back in) afterwards may clear things up. Running guided setup again might also resolve it.

Quote:
3. If this were an en-mass issue TiVo would be addressing it as they did with the THD’s. It’s only reported sporadically so I wouldn’t expect anything to happen in the near future. TiVo CSR's are generally nice, but often misinformed and do the best they can. Others have posted saying that they have spoken to TiVo CSR’s who have claimed an update for S3’s is “on the way.” At the very least a new software update will be pushed out when MRV and TTG are implemented in November.

That’s not to say that problems don’t happen…they in fact do of course. These issues have popped up on threads for about a year now…ever since S3’s were introduced. There was a flurry of them when software v8.3.1 was introduced (see this thread), however as mentioned, most of those folks (including us) have seen things improve. Now it’s usually a local problem but the fact is that some TiVo’s fail and have to be replaced.

My advice would be to document exactly what it is you are seeing when using TiVo - when it started, problems on all channels, HD only, only certain channels, time of day, etc. - as well as what work Comcast has done and what they are telling you. Make sure that you have all of the details down. Get back on the phone with TiVo, have them open a case and keep after it. TiVo has been known to handle a three-way call with cableco's to try and resolve the issue.

FWIW, we've gone several rounds with Comcast before they finally rolled a truck manned by someone that knew what they were doing. Don’t give up!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #246
Unix_Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Can you confirm on the System Information screen that you have 8.1.7c2?

Also remember that the new update only addresses the issue for live TV and new recordings made after the update. It does not 'fix' recordings made before the update.

If you are still seeing pixelization on new recordings made after the 8.1.7c2 update, have you tried plugging the TivoHD in to your cable line upstairs? There could be a signal problem with your cable feed downstairs. Recall that the TivoHD is more sensitive to signal problems than the cable company box.
Yes, I have 8.1.7c2 and the pixellation is worse than ever before. Its on certain channels. Some channels look fine. Some are completely unwatchable.

I understand that the "pixellation" will also be on recordings and understand the difference between live TV and recordings. The problems I'm experiencing are on live TV and exclusively on HD channels. The "pixellation" seems to occur around moving objects are on areas of extreme color contrast.
Unix_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #247
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unix_Beard
The problems I'm experiencing are on live TV and exclusively on HD channels. The "pixellation" seems to occur around moving objects are on areas of extreme color contrast.
What is the make/model of your TV? And what is your cable provider?

I wonder if what you are seeing could be due to overcompression? On what channels are you seeing this pixelization, and what sort of bitrates is your provider using on those channels?

Average Bitrate = (Recording Size * 8000) / (Number of Minutes * 60)

You can find the size of a recording by selecting it and hitting Info. You may have to page down since the recording size is at the bottom.

Some displays have image enhancement settings on by default that can make compression artifacts far more obvious. For example, the DNIe feature on many Samsung displays will have that effect.

Last edited by bkdtv : 10-13-2007 at 08:26 AM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #248
lhntx

Location: Houston (my family has been here for five generations)
series 3 pixelization

I have two series 3's. Both have 2 cable cards from Comcast (was Time-Warner until a month or so ago). One is hooked to a 1080i TV and the other to a standard TV. Both are having the pixel problems on some HD channels (the local NBC affiliate is the the worst) and are unwatchable most times. Sometimes only after a few minutes and some times after a half hour or so. Comcast has been out 3+ times in as many months and say that their signal is fine. TIVO says that it's a cable signal problem. Comcast says that it's a TIVO problem and that TIVO has admitted to them that they know it. Comcast even left me one of their DVR's to switch over and test - I did and their DVR worked fine whereas the Tivo was unwatchable. The cable signal drops below 94 or so when the problem occurs. Comcast says that an occasional dip is perfectly normal. Comcast says to tell the installer to reinstall lines, the installers refuse because "tivo has addmitted to them" that ther problem is on that end. Tivo says that it's not their problem. So I'm stuck in the middle with two series 3's that I can't watch HD channels on. I've been reading the strings about a new fix that came in last week, but I don't see any difference. Lots of techie answers about too strong a signal or amplifying, splitting etc. Any answers for us normal people that know very little about electricity, ohms, dbs, etc.????
lhntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #249
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhntx
I have two series 3's. Both have 2 cable cards from Comcast (was Time-Warner until a month or so ago). One is hooked to a 1080i TV and the other to a standard TV. Both are having the pixel problems on some HD channels (the local NBC affiliate is the the worst) and are unwatchable most times. Sometimes only after a few minutes and some times after a half hour or so. Comcast has been out 3+ times in as many months and say that their signal is fine. TIVO says that it's a cable signal problem. Comcast says that it's a TIVO problem and that TIVO has admitted to them that they know it. Comcast even left me one of their DVR's to switch over and test - I did and their DVR worked fine whereas the Tivo was unwatchable. The cable signal drops below 94 or so when the problem occurs. Comcast says that an occasional dip is perfectly normal. Comcast says to tell the installer to reinstall lines, the installers refuse because "tivo has addmitted to them" that ther problem is on that end. Tivo says that it's not their problem. So I'm stuck in the middle with two series 3's that I can't watch HD channels on. I've been reading the strings about a new fix that came in last week, but I don't see any difference. Lots of techie answers about too strong a signal or amplifying, splitting etc. Any answers for us normal people that know very little about electricity, ohms, dbs, etc.????
Sorry to hear about your very frustrating experiences. Comcast is right about the signals…they won’t always be perfect. But you clearly have a problem. Comparison of a Comcast DVR and TiVo is mostly apples and oranges as they employ different processing methods – hardware Vs cable cards. Comcast DVR's (probably Motorola?) use proprietary/dedicated hardware whereas TiVo has to have the capability of working with cable cards on many different systems and are more sensitive to signal issues. A little research will reveal that Comcast Motorola DVR’s are notoriously problem ridden…I’d take TiVo hands down any day.

In addition, that fact that you're experiencing these problems with both of your S3's would lean toward the possibility that the problem is local. You didn’t mention how long you’ve had your S3’s but if it’s been a while and you’re suddenly seeing problems with both of them; I’d conclude that it’s a cableco issue and not TiVo as nothing’s changed with TiVo since last April/May when the software was updated. That's not to say that TiVo software might not be contributing, but clearly thousands of S3's are in fact working with Comcast service (which is what we have)...probably a number of them in your neighborhood.

Comcast is quick to say that it's not their problem if they can make their own boxes work but that doesn't mean that the signal, the cable cards or other factors aren't at the root of the issue. We suddenly experienced similar problems after having great service for months. It took four complaints and truck rolls before they sent someone out that knew what he was doing. Turned out it was something at the "head end" in our area that had been recently modified. In twenty minutes all was right again...so don't let them steamroll you.

As mentioned above, my advice would be to document exactly what it is you are seeing when using TiVo - when it started, problems on all channels, HD only, only certain channels, time of day, etc. - as well as what work Comcast has done and what they are telling you. Make sure that you have all of the details down. Get back on the phone with TiVo, have them open a case and keep after it. TiVo has been known to handle a three-way call with cableco's to try and resolve the issue and that's what I'd push for...the squeaky wheel and all of that.

BTW, the "fix" you're referring to was a software update for the new TiVo HD model only...nothing to do with the TiVo S3's.

Best of luck!
Old 09-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #250
lhntx

Location: Houston (my family has been here for five generations)
Thanks for the reply. I've had one s3 since 11/06 and the other for about 6 months or so. The problem started around May/June and occurs at all times of the day and mostly on the local big 3 affiliates, but sometimes on the premium channels. THe last Comcast guy that came out argued and argued with me and refused to do anything saying that the supervisors had talked to Tivo and that Tivo said that the problem was on their end. I love my Tivo, but it is very frustrating. I've had to change all of my season passes to regular channels (instead of HD) since the HD channels are so unreliable.
lhntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #251
Pearhead

Held off buying a THD for awhile to see how the software updates proved themselves. I picked one up last week and had the SA CC (m-card) put in on Wed.

So far zero blocking with 8.1.7c2 on a Sony WE42655 with component cables.

Last edited by Pearhead : 09-14-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Pearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:28 PM   #252
Unix_Beard

Quote:
What is the make/model of your TV? And what is your cable provider?

I wonder if what you are seeing could be due to overcompression? On what channels are you seeing this pixelization, and what sort of bitrates is your provider using on those channels?

Average Bitrate = (Recording Size * 8192) / (Number of Minutes * 60)

You can find the size of a recording by selecting it and hitting Info. You may have to page down since the recording size is at the bottom.

Some displays have image enhancement settings on by default that can make compression artifacts far more obvious. For example, the DNIe feature on many Samsung displays will have that effect.
Its a Sony Grand Wega III, LCD RP.

I eliminated a cable splitter and the blocking appears to have disappeared. (This may be misleading since the blocking happens mostly at night so I'll wait and see.) Its odd because I had the exact same setup before minus the TivoHD and never had problems. Cable 1 going to my cable box/Tivo and Cable 2 going directly into my TV which had a CableCard installed for the HD content. Never had any issues with the splitter.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:38 AM   #253
jmace57
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhntx
I have two series 3's. Both have 2 cable cards from Comcast (was Time-Warner until a month or so ago). One is hooked to a 1080i TV and the other to a standard TV. Both are having the pixel problems on some HD channels (the local NBC affiliate is the the worst) and are unwatchable most times. Sometimes only after a few minutes and some times after a half hour or so.
You must be in Houston like me...exactly the issues I have been having for months.

The sad thing is, that we are using our dual tuners to record one HD version and one SD version of important shows. We can't trust it not to pixellate. <sigh>

Jim
140 Hour TiVo SA Series 2
DirecTV HR24
jmace57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #254
johnnylundy

I just ordered my TiVo HD. It will be delivered sometime next week. I waited as long as I could, but I need a working DVR for the new season and this Moto 3416 is a piece of junk.

Is pretty much everyone with the HD and Motorola CableCARDs now up and running OK?

I was planning to request an M-Card from Comcast. Any reason to be insistent on that, or do the single cards work OK in slot 2 now?

Cheers, Johnny
johnnylundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #255
Unix_Beard

Well, I was wrong. The blocking or pixellation is back. Its really bad today for college football, of course.

I turn on ABCHD on the TivoHD and its horribly pixellated. I go to the next room and look at the same channel through a built in HD tuner and absolutely crystal clear.

It is DEFINITELY the TivoHD. Now what? This sucks.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #256
mazman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unix_Beard
Well, I was wrong. The blocking or pixellation is back. Its really bad today for college football, of course.

I turn on ABCHD on the TivoHD and its horribly pixellated. I go to the next room and look at the same channel through a built in HD tuner and absolutely crystal clear.

It is DEFINITELY the TivoHD. Now what? This sucks.
What type of Cablecard is in your TiVo?
mazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:41 AM   #257
jgerry
save vinyl

My new TivoHD doesn't even have cablecards yet, waiting on Comcast to come out for that. So I'm running it with OTA HD via antenna + QAM. Software version is current.

I'm getting the pixelization issue on OTA HD recordings. It's definitely in the recording as going back and replaying the affected section produces the same pixelization each time. The problem is sporadic. I'd say it's occurring about 15-20 times an hour, and each time I lose between 1-5 seconds of programming. The longer dropouts are very frustrating. I also lose audio most of the time as well as video.

I've checked the signal levels. Both are between 89 - 99. S/N ratio floats around 29-30.

What's a reasonable S/N ratio for OTA HD? I haven't seen that mentioned yet in this thread.
jgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:08 AM   #258
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerry
I'm getting the pixelization issue on OTA HD recordings. It's definitely in the recording as going back and replaying the affected section produces the same pixelization each time. The problem is sporadic. I'd say it's occurring about 15-20 times an hour, and each time I lose between 1-5 seconds of programming. The longer dropouts are very frustrating. I also lose audio most of the time as well as video.

I've checked the signal levels. Both are between 89 - 99. S/N ratio floats around 29-30.
Sounds like multipath. My signal levels are stable, within +/- 1. I can't check SNR right now.

What antenna are you using?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #259
jgerry
save vinyl

Quote:
Sounds like multipath. My signal levels are stable, within +/- 1. I can't check SNR right now.

What antenna are you using?
I have a super cheap antenna from Radio Shack. I think I literally paid $6 for it.

One of the tall extensions is broken off too. But I've never had any issues using it connected directly to my TV. I also live inside the city limits where the signals are strong.

I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a better antenna and try that. What's a good choice, preferably something I can pick up at Radio Shack or Best Buy? I do like the idea of using OTA for network HD recording since I feel like those look far better than what Comcast re-compresses and sends me over cable.
jgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #260
blhirsch
Tivo-riffic!

Well, I'm having similar issues. ESPNHD is completely unwatchable. It's fine on the other TV with the Verizon DVR.

I'm not sure what my next step is because it seems clear that the problem is Tivo and not Verizon. I'm remiss to stay on hold with them and open a trouble ticket when I'm not sure there's anything they can do.

FTR, it's a TivoHD with two moto s-cards on Verizon FiosTV. c2 software.

There may be other channels that are having this problem, I have yet to determine the extent of it.
blhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #261
ChrisPA

An update to my situation: I have FIOS and have had pixelation problems on certain HD and SD channels. My Verizon HD PVR has had very, very few problems with the same channels. Last week, after the Verizon tech came and went without helping me (he said the signal levels were fine), I brought the two boxes together and swapped the cable input back and forth. The TivoHD was definitely having pixelation issues when the Verizon box was not.

I then called Tivo, who had me bring up the signal strength meter, which was fluctuating wildly between 50 and 75. They said 95 is the level you need to get a solid picture. So... I called Verizon back and told them what was happening and that the tech told me the signals were fine, but my Tivo (and Panasonic TV) said otherwise. They apologized many times and were going to have another tech remotely check out my box and call me back.

I haven't heard back yet, and doubted they could do much remotely, but lo and behold, last night my problem channels are suddenly in the upper 90s and the Tivo is no longer pixelating.

Its still too early to be sure things are corrected, but I'm beginning to draw a few conclusions:

1. the tuner in the TivoHD is not as robust to poor signal level as the Verizon DVR.
2. the signal levels for stations vary wildly across the band
3. if Verizon/Comcast/etc is going to rent CableCards to receive their content (and the FCC says they have to), they need to provide sufficient signal strength for them to be tuned reliable by units made by Tivo, Panasonic, etc. My problems (at least after the most recent Tivo software updates) seem to have been caused by signal strength

(as an additional data point, with a CC in my Panasonic TV, it also experienced difficulties with the same stations. However, unlike the Tivo, it generally just sets the screen to black rather than show the pixelated video when the signal strength is too low)
ChrisPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #262
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPA
Its still too early to be sure things are corrected, but I'm beginning to draw a few conclusions:

1. the tuner in the TivoHD is not as robust to poor signal level as the Verizon DVR.
3. if Verizon/Comcast/etc is going to rent CableCards to receive their content (and the FCC says they have to), they need to provide sufficient signal strength for them to be tuned reliable by units made by Tivo, Panasonic, etc. My problems (at least after the most recent Tivo software updates) seem to have been caused by signal strength
1. If Tivo is expecting a consistent signal level of 95 or higher, that explains why they are having problems out in the field. That's almost unreasonable, but not quite. Your service provider, especially FIOS, should be able to provide it after some tweaking. But don't expect it to work out of the box.
2. Yes, in some areas it may be difficult to get that high a signal for every single channel. It could take a lot of tweaking.
3. Verizon is currently exempt from the CableCard regulations. Therefore, Tivos are not officially supported on Verizon FIOS. Verizon knows they will have to supply CableCards in the future, so they are beta testing them right now. Since both companies share many customers, they are unofficially supporting each other very well.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 AM   #263
BillL

Pixilation / Macroblocking Video?

Has anyone posted a video of their pixilation problems? I was considering putting one out there with my motorola box side-by-side showing no pixilation. That would quiet some of the naysayers.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #264
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhirsch
Well, I'm having similar issues. ESPNHD is completely unwatchable. It's fine on the other TV with the Verizon DVR.

I'm not sure what my next step is because it seems clear that the problem is Tivo and not Verizon. I'm remiss to stay on hold with them and open a trouble ticket when I'm not sure there's anything they can do.

FTR, it's a TivoHD with two moto s-cards on Verizon FiosTV. c2 software.

There may be other channels that are having this problem, I have yet to determine the extent of it.
Are you in the DE/PA area? FiOS users have been reporting issues with ESPN-HD and ESPN-HD in those markets for the last week, even with the Motorola boxes.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #265
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPA
I then called Tivo, who had me bring up the signal strength meter, which was fluctuating wildly between 50 and 75. They said 95 is the level you need to get a solid picture. So... I called Verizon back and told them what was happening and that the tech told me the signals were fine, but my Tivo (and Panasonic TV) said otherwise. They apologized many times and were going to have another tech remotely check out my box and call me back.

I haven't heard back yet, and doubted they could do much remotely, but lo and behold, last night my problem channels are suddenly in the upper 90s and the Tivo is no longer pixelating.

This wide signal variation -- accompanied by pixelization -- can also result when your FiOS signal is too 'hot' (strong). You might try sticking a splitter or attenuator between the coax and your Tivo to reduce the signal strength.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:50 AM   #266
blhirsch
Tivo-riffic!

Quote:
Are you in the DE/PA area? FiOS users have been reporting issues with ESPN-HD and ESPN-HD in those markets for the last week, even with the Motorola boxes.
That's exactly where I am. Interestingly, it seems to have largely resolved, but I haven't watched it for terribly long to make sure.

Unfortunately, my Comedy Central was all wonky last night. You can mess with my Sports Center but woe to the person who messes with my Daily Show.

I'm getting a little frustrated because I NEVER had these problems with DirecTV. It's lending an air of unpredictability to it, and I didn't sign up for that.
blhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:05 AM   #267
randymac88

Has anyone on this board a) received the new 9.1 firmware update, and b) noticed an increase in pixelation? I ask as, last night I was watching and saw more pixelation than I had in previous weeks since the "c" update. Not sure whether I got the 9.1 update or not, but it was noticeable. I'll have to check my firmware when I get home today.
randymac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:48 PM   #268
kpepling

I noticed some bad pixelation on ESPNHD tonight. I tested the signal strength and it was a solid 97. I noticed that I had no problems with the picture while I was on that menu. After that I was able to have both cablecards tuned to ESPNHD and saw that I was only getting problems with one of the cards. Does that mean that I have a bad cablecard?
kpepling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:07 AM   #269
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpepling
I noticed some bad pixelation on ESPNHD tonight. I tested the signal strength and it was a solid 97. I noticed that I had no problems with the picture while I was on that menu. After that I was able to have both cablecards tuned to ESPNHD and saw that I was only getting problems with one of the cards. Does that mean that I have a bad cablecard?
Good chance that there's a least an issue with the CC's. Just a wild guess, but is the "problem child" is in slot #2?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #270
kpepling

It is slot #2 . Does that mean anything? As far as I can tell it doesn't always have a problem. I'm going to look at it more closely tonight to verify that though.
kpepling is offline   Reply With Quote