TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #391
newmotorgb

DWL-120 Version B1 Please help

Hello Stephen,
I have seen a post on a Tivo forum from you and thought maybe you can help. I just took my chances by ordering a wireless adapter online without knowing the version type due to not knowing the type until the box is opened up. It is a DLInk DWL-G120 and unfortunately, it turns out to be version B1. Is there any way to get this to work? I have a Tivo Software version of 7.3 and a service number beginning with 240. Any thoughts? Do I have to return this item for sure? Thank you.
newmotorgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:40 PM   #392
mchief
Morey

Wireless Security WPA with 8.1

I just got my software S2 (540) upgraded to 8.1 and immediately changed my security mode to WPA with a Tivo Wireless Adapter. Works like a charm. In fact the change on the Tivo was earier than the PCs. Changed the password to the WPA shared key and Tivo connected. Never ask for WEP or WPA. With the PC you must specify WPA, etc.
mchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #393
ecdown

Using WGA54G to connect wirelessly to Tivo

I am using a WGA54G to connect with my Tivo box to my Wireless router.

I needed to use a PC to setup the device with WEP key and info, then just
plugged an ethernet cable into my series2.

Working great for me.
ecdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:09 AM   #394
MikeButler

My screen has been freezing, lost shows, and now I can't access any thing on my TIVO. TIVO help said to clean and delete, so I did. Now, I can't get past the Getting Started Menu.
I recently switched to Comcast VOIP for phone service, and now my TIVO won't recognize the wireless info transfer. Comcast said there is a difference in the frequencies, directional versus static? Any suggestions on how to bypass or input the proper info so that I can get on with my TIVO life?
MikeButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:20 PM   #395
Beleriand
Flame Lord

Arrow WPA Woes...

I also upgraded to WPA a few days ago.

I have both my computer and my TiVo connected to my wireless network without issues, however, I'm having a very difficult time getting them both to see each other. I constantly need to re-boot both so that the connection is re-established between the two.

It's not that they lose network connection, they both remain connected to the net, it's just that they lose visibility of each other.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

B.
Beleriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:35 AM   #396
tanstaafl1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleriand
I have both my computer and my TiVo connected to my wireless network without issues, however, I'm having a very difficult time getting them both to see each other. I constantly need to re-boot both so that the connection is re-established between the two.

It's not that they lose network connection, they both remain connected to the net, it's just that they lose visibility of each other.

Any suggestions?
I'm in the same boat, except that I do not have WPA installed in my wireless. I've also seen a significant slowdown in transferring programs from one Tivo to another. I aborted a transfer after 2 hours when only 20 minutes were transferred.

I've been using NetGear MA111 for over a year without issue. Has there been some issues brought about by the Fall Update? I've seen the advertising for the new Tivo Branded USB Network adaptors; any chance the service updates 'broke' non-Tivo branded adapters?

TIA,
tanstaafl1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:10 AM   #397
Beleriand
Flame Lord

Thumbs down Woes Started with TiVo software version 8.1

I actually have the TiVo Wireless adapter.

I was totaly fine with my network on WEP until I upgraded to 8.1 and installed the TiVo adapter for the sake of WPA.

Now I can't make my pc see my TiVo or viceversa even though they both are connected and online.

Happy holidays!

B.
Beleriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #398
quarque

Just a piece of information for all those having "unreliable" operation over a wireless network. I just set up a Linksys WRT54GL router, which was quite easy. But I had problems transferring programs between Tivos or to my PC. I finally broke down and bought the "high gain" antennas for the LInksys ($37 at Newegg). Rather expensive shot in the dark but boy what a difference. My nearest Tivo is now 100% signal all the time and the further Tivo in the basement is hovering around 70%. Before it would run at around 50% but dip down to below 20% on occasion. Those dips were killing my transfers. Now it all works just fine. So signal strength really matters.
quarque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #399
shahzadmasih

Hi, this post is very informative; however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
shahzadmasih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:29 AM   #400
Tobashadow

Got a new one for the working list.

Tryed it for fun after setting it up using my known working Linksys adapter from my other series 2 machine.

Series 2 machine 240 i belive all black pre nightlight model.

Software at 8.3

Adapter

Brand - Blitzz
Model - NetWave Point
Fcc Id - MQ4WUB1K5

Was $15 at Walmart 3 years ago.

Work's perfect.
Tobashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #401
girl_378

y get more rk
girl_378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:25 AM   #402
musika

Hi There Im New Here..
musika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #403
CorinaB

Which adapter for my setup?

I would like to connect my tivo series2 DT to my existing home wireless network, but I'm not sure what would be compatible with my equipment. I have looked at the compatible adapters list at tivo.com, but would the adapter need to be compatilble with anything besides the tivo? For example, does it make any difference if I have a Mac or PC? (I have a Mac) Does it matter what kind of router I have? (Actiontec) I don't have any other tivos that would need to be on the network.

Thanks for any tips! I would also love to know where to get the adapters for a good price. (eBay?)

Corina
CorinaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:54 PM   #404
azitnay

It doesn't really matter what type of computer or router you have, but I'd recommend going with the TiVo adapter for simplicity's sake... It's guaranteed to have no compatibility issues with the TiVo itself. You can shop around, but TiVo sells it directly as well:

https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories.do

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:57 PM   #405
CorinaB

Thanks, Drew! I think you're right--I looked at eBay and I wouldn't save much buying it there, and God knows what would or wouldn't work! So I went ahead and placed the order tonight for my very first tivo box and the wireless adapter at Tivo Community Store.
CorinaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #406
Tsar Chasm

At the beginning of the year, I had 4 Series 2 TiVos all connected to my network with Linksys WUSB11 adapters and life was good. One of my series 2s died a horrible death signaling the adoption of a Series 3. I took my WUSB11 from the dead TiVo and plugged it in, life is now High Def Good. Fast forward to last month. I bought an HDTivo for the bargain basement price of $219, shutdown my bedroom TiVo, plugged in the WUSB11 into the HDTiVo and BLOOP. This USB device is not supported. Any ideas?
Tsar Chasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #407
azitnay

Indeed, according to:

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/TiV...s_Content.html

only the TiVo adapter is officially supported on S3's and THD's. I believe that while adapters like the WUSB11 do technically work with the S3, TiVo decided to start fresh with the THD, and only the TiVo adapter works. The TiVo adapter's model number is AG0100, and the best price I know of at the moment is $38.88 after shipping:

http://www.electronics-expo.com/inde...6&id=TVOAG0100

Drew
Old 11-09-2007, 11:36 PM   #408
gijohn21

can anyone tell me the best wireless adapter to purchase,when trying to connect my tivo series two to a wireless network?
thanks.
gijohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:53 AM   #409
LostHere

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if this setup will work. Do you have the same hardware?
Windows XP SP2
Tivo Series 2(not dual tuner)
Buffalo Technology Wireless-G 125 router and access point (I've never used it. I don't have anything wireless. But had to buy it because it was such a hot deal).
My Essential G USB Adapter. I wasn't allowed to post links.

OfficeMax will have the USB Adapter on sale for $20 on Black Friday. I'm willing to spend $20, but not anymore. I thought the Tivo had an ethernet connection. Does anyone have this setup? Or should I just hook up the phone line once a week?

Thanks,

LostHere
LostHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:55 AM   #410
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijohn21
can anyone tell me the best wireless adapter to purchase,when trying to connect my tivo series two to a wireless network?
thanks.
The TiVo adapter is really the only one worth bothering with nowadays, since it's guaranteed to be compatible:

https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories.do

You can get it much cheaper than $60 if you shop around (model number AG0100).

Drew
Old 11-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #411
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHere
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if this setup will work. Do you have the same hardware?
Windows XP SP2
Tivo Series 2(not dual tuner)
Buffalo Technology Wireless-G 125 router and access point (I've never used it. I don't have anything wireless. But had to buy it because it was such a hot deal).
My Essential G USB Adapter. I wasn't allowed to post links.

OfficeMax will have the USB Adapter on sale for $20 on Black Friday. I'm willing to spend $20, but not anymore. I thought the Tivo had an ethernet connection. Does anyone have this setup? Or should I just hook up the phone line once a week?

Thanks,

LostHere
TiVos only work with a very specific subset of USB ethernet adapters... First, do you want a wired or wireless adapter? TiVo has two articles detailing compatibility with various wired and wireless adapters:

I don't know of any specific deals on compatible adapters under $20 at the moment, but I've certainly found wired adapters for under $10 before.

Drew
Old 11-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #412
AZrob

Problem with Tivo Wireless G adapter and Linksys WRE54G Range Expander

(also posted in Series 3 Forum)

Hi all,

I recently switched from:

Tivo S2
Dlink DWL-122 wireless B adapter
Netgear WGR614 wireless router
Linksys WRE54G range expander

to:

Tivo HD
Tivo Wireless G Adapter
Netgear WGR614 wireless router
Linksys WRE54G range expander

In other words, I got a new Tivo and a new adapter, from Tivo. In the old setup, my Dlink adapter could see the Linksys range expander perfectly, resulting in a signal strength of 90-100%.

In the new setup, my Tivo adapter does not "see" the Linksys range expander at all, so it can only connect to the network thru the main Netgear router, resulting in a poor to marginal signal strength of 20-40%.

Tivo support says they don't know why their adapter cannot see the range expander -- but they can't do any more because they don't support devices which bridge or expand networks.

Has anyone been able to use a Tivo Wireless G adapter with this Linksys range expander? All of the configurations are the same on the expander as before. I have rebooted all of the devices involved several times. I know the expander is still working because my laptop still "sees" it.

And if no one can help me with the range expander product I have, I am open to any other solutions, such that the Tivo adapter will work with them.

Thanks in advance,

Rob from AZ
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #413
pauljb55
Now in Miami Beach

What encryptions are you using? When I moved to WPA2 and was not broadcasting my SSID it was hard for me to have the tivo find it. I took my laptop and placed it next to the Tivo series 2 and retried it and then it found it.

Between 2 accounts:
Two Roamio Pros
Four Premiers of varying levels
Two HD Tivos
One Mini
pauljb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:58 PM   #414
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljb55 View Post
What encryptions are you using? When I moved to WPA2 and was not broadcasting my SSID it was hard for me to have the tivo find it. I took my laptop and placed it next to the Tivo series 2 and retried it and then it found it.
I am using WEP with SSID broadcasting on both the router and the range expander. It worked fine with the DLINK DWL-122 B adapter that Tivo sold me thru Tivo Rewards three years ago, but not this new Tivo brand G type.

How exactly did you use the laptop to get the Tivo to see it?

Thanks,

Rob
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #415
Mike Kornblum
Mike Kornblum

Question Advice Needed: One Networked TiVo "Gone Blind" to another's content

I have two TiVos that were networked successfully for more than 6 months, but now one of them can no longer "see" the other's saved programs to play or transfer. I'm hoping someone on the forum can suggest what I can do. Here's more detail.

1) TiVo One (downstairs) is Model TCD130040 running software version
9.1-01-2-130 and networked using a Linksys USB200M USB2.0 network adaptor wired to my router. It is successfully accessing the internet and can "see" the programs recorded on the upstairs TiVo

2) TiVo Two (upstairs) is Model TCD540080 running software version 9.1-01-2-540 and networked using a TiVo Wireless G USB Adaptor for Series2DVRs. It is successfully accessing the internet. It recognizes the existence of the downstairs TiVo, but insists it has NO recorded programs when in fact there are 80-90 hours of such programs.

Both TiVos are properly tagged for "allowing transfers" and "enabling downloads" at TiVo Central/manage my account. Since each TiVo shows it's networked correctly and can see the other, I'm at a loss to know why "upstairs" does not recognize the programs on "downstairs" that I'd like to be able to transfer.

One additional clue: My TiVo desktop software (version 2.3a) is having a similar problem. It can see the content from the upstairs TiVo fine, but when I ask it to list content from the downstairs one, it reports that, "There was an error while attempting to retrieve data from the selected DVR. Not enough storage is available to process this command."

In "Settings, " the downstairs TiVo reports a variable storage capacity of "up to 142 hours." On the "medium quality" setting, it reports a capacity of about 85 hours. That's probably about how much video I currently have stored on the hard drive.

Do you think I need to delete some video in order to get the transfer function to work, or is there some other issue?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike Kornblum
Mike Kornblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #416
BillB

Two Networked Series 2 cannot Transfer

I have two Series 2 units networked with Tivo USB Wireless Adapters. The network shows that it is operating at 75% on both and they are downloading the schedules successfully. The Now Playing Lists on both show the other Tivo, ie, Bedroom or Kitchen.

When I try to transfer recordings from one to the other, I get a message that the other has no recordings when it has several. This occurs from either Tivo, even though both have recordings.

I have Transfers Allowed checked on Manage My Account.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #417
alumley

Wireless adapter for series 2, service # 521

I'd like a USB wireless adapter for this unit but the 521 is not listed at the TiVo site

Would anyone know if there is an adapter that will work?

Series 2
Manf. brand; 100
sw ver. 6.3f

Thanks
alumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #418
azitnay

You have a DirecTV TiVo unit, and as far as I know, their USB ports are essentially useless without hacking. This thread is mainly only for standalone TiVo owners.

Drew
Old 06-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #419
bhspub

I just bought a Series 2 DT and a Tivo USB wireless adapter. I checked the software version on the Tivo last night and it was at 7.5 (something), which was barely higher than what the Tivo support page said was required for wireless support. The support page also listed the USB adapter as being capable of WPA. For the life of me I was unable to get it to connect at anything other than WEP with my router set to "g only". This is rather depressing as I have a Dlink extreme wireless-N router and I'm not keen on opening my wireless up to invasion by using WEP.

Anyway, I rewired everything and now have my router right next to the Tivo with an ethernet cable connection. That's working fine, and as of this morning when I performed a restart, my Tivo software version is 9.3 something. Having my router next to my Tivo is very awkward as it interferes with how I had everything setup for my VOIP and network in general, but I don't want to take the trouble of switching it all back around unless I'm confident it will now work.

So anyway, my question is how big of a difference will the updated software make? As I said, the Tivo site said the old version should have been sufficient, but it wasn't. I would very much prefer WPA2 over WPA even, but I can find no mention of that anywhere on Tivo.com. Also would love to enable N, G, & B for the router rather than G only.

Thanks in advance for any help.
bhspub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #420
azitnay

I'm using WPA with one of my TiVos, so it definitely works, and I believe WPA2 is supposed to work as well... I've lost track, but I guess it's possible there were some WPA fixes somewhere between 7.5 and 9.3, so I'd recommend trying again now that you have the newer software.

So, I'd recommend:

1) Leave the router where it is until you get it working via wireless.

2) Try WPA2 and N, G, & B mode.

3) If that doesn't work, try WPA2 and G-only mode.

4) If that doesn't work, try WPA and G-only mode.

Drew