TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #31
rodalpho

You never had signal dropouts or pixelization? Congrats, you're a unique snowflake.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #32
bilbo

Wink less than $100 price difference for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
I'm thinking the $200 rebate is to get rid of the S3's- or at least make them viable for the future.

online places have them for $599 now so after rebate that's $399. The premium for the front panel and glow remote dont seem so insane at all at that price point.
rebate starts 09/16/07 thru late january 2008

circuit city
$600
minus 10% with my AAA coupon
= $540
minus $200 rebate
=$340

compares to tivohd
$300
minus 10% with AAA coupon (code)
=$270

difference in price is $70
(sales tax could add about $15 to the difference)

even with sales tax it is less than $100 for me, which is well worth it to me because it gets me:

the glo remote
an extra 90gb of hard drive (the difference between 20 hours of HD and 30 hours of HD)
the front controls -- which i might actually use in the room i will put my second s3

i may also get another 5% back through shop discover (so 5% of the $270 difference in price is $13.50), which would reduce the difference to under $60 without sales taxes
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #33
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodalpho
It's certainly not a freebie, THX certification was one of the main reasons from TiVo why the S3 was so expensive. Supposedly the HD was built to the same standards but not submitted for certification for that very reason.
I don't recall reading about anyone from TiVo claiming that THX certification was one of the main reasons why the S3 was so expensive; only that in an effort at cost reduction they decided not to submit the TiVo HD for certification. From TiVo's Jim Denney interview:

Quote:
Regarding not having THX, Jim let us know that it still meets TiVo's requirements for AV fidelity, but that part of keeping costs down meant not submitting it for the THX certification approval process.
No argument that THX certification has an impact on R&D and eventually to some extent the retail price of a product. It's generally a feature only hardcore power users really care about which is not the target demo of the THD. However the original TiVo Series 3 is the world’s first and only digital video recorder that's certified to maintain the audio and video fidelity of the original broadcast.

So we can agree to disagree if that’s what we’re doing, but IMO THX certification does in fact have merit when it comes to A/V equipment as opposed to the blanket statement that "THX certification adds nothing whatsoever".

Now…back to our program which is already in progress.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #34
rodalpho

It just means that the hardware meets their standards. It's not like supporting dolby digital sound, it's not actually a feature. That's what I was getting at.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #35
richsadams

Quote:
It just means that the hardware meets their standards. It's not like supporting dolby digital sound, it's not actually a feature. That's what I was getting at.
Okay.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:49 PM   #36
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Personally, I think TiVo has stopped building Series3s and 180-hour S2DTs - and perhaps S2DTs completely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:31 AM   #37
aaronwt
HD Addict

With the holiday season coming they need to have a good supply then to last them through the first of the year.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #38
nhaigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
Personally, I think TiVo has stopped building Series3s and 180-hour S2DTs - and perhaps S2DTs completely.

I don't much care about the S2DT but I'm hoping they keep the S3 as a premium model. I for one much prefer it to the TiVoHD as my AV stands don't have doors.
1 x TiVo S3 HD left
3 TiVo Premiers
Verizon FiOS - No Copy Protection :)
nhaigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:37 AM   #39
debtoine
WTTWDC

According to the TiVo staff at CEDIA this year, the TiVo Series 3 will also be the only one with full Crestron integration; this would seem they are marketing the Series 3 more as an "integrator's" box.

I myself gladly pay more money for the kind of control they were talking about at the show.

Toine

debtoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #40
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtoine
the TiVo Series 3 will also be the only one with full Crestron integration;
Huh? How is Crestron related to the TiVo?
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #41
ah30k

I'm guessing that TiVo works with a contract manufacturer that time shares their production lines. They will probably switch production to and from various active models as needed. So, the answer to 'have they stopped' would be more like 'have they stopped forever or just temporarily switched it out'.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:07 PM   #42
acvthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtoine
According to the TiVo staff at CEDIA this year, the TiVo Series 3 will also be the only one with full Crestron integration; this would seem they are marketing the Series 3 more as an "integrator's" box.

Toine
Could someone elaborate on (or translate) this? It sounds like it could be interesting if I had a clue as to what it means.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #43
classicsat
Astute User

More importantly, what makes the Series 3 special that it can be integrated in an HT system, while a TiVo HD cannot?The all have basically the same sort of connections that would allow that, right?
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #44
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishingdad
Just what is the big deal with the THX certification, what does that add practically speaking for most people?

you get to make that funky noise at restart that sounds akin to a modern "hyperspace" sound effect from asteroids....

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #45
nhaigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat
More importantly, what makes the Series 3 special that it can be integrated in an HT system, while a TiVo HD cannot?The all have basically the same sort of connections that would allow that, right?
It's not so ugly you don't want to look at it
1 x TiVo S3 HD left
3 TiVo Premiers
Verizon FiOS - No Copy Protection :)
nhaigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #46
demon
BURNINATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat
Nothing prevents it, no; it has the same optical audio out and HDMI connections as the Series3 does. THX is just a certification - not having it doesn't mean you can't do the same things, just it's not "THX certified". My TV, receiver, DVD player, etc. aren't; I really don't care one way or the other, it's quite good enough for my wants.
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #47
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND
Of course you also are assuming that the THD would not also be certified if TiVo elected to do so. Did the hardware really change to the point that there is really a difference?

I assume tivo could easily get certified- IF they where willing to pay the fees required for a mass market device. I dont think they want to pay even an extra 10 cents a box for anything on the THD at this point.

JMHO
Old 09-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #48
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvthree
Could someone elaborate on (or translate) this? It sounds like it could be interesting if I had a clue as to what it means.

Al
me too!

does that mean tivo will be putting drivers on the S3 so home automation controllers can interact with it via USB or something?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #49
bdraw

I couldn't find any press releases about the crestron TiVo deal, it's kinda funny that people at the show were talking about it, without anything official.

I hope it's just a usb serial dongle, that other integrators can access too, I for one love HA, but don't have the money for crestron. It sure would be nice not to have to rely on IR.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #50
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

I'd love to find out more info on the Crestron/TiVo thing. I saw it reported in Gizmodo, and then it has popped up elsewhere - but no details at all anywhere. Crestron and TiVo both have nothing posted about it. And every mention I've been able to find of it online just says they did a deal to somehow link Crestron touch panels with the S3 - and that's all. Or they just link back to someone else, like Gizmodo, who didn't have any details either.

|
|
|
Old 09-14-2007, 03:30 PM   #51
bdraw

If you don't about it, then I'm not sure I believe it's even true.
I know TiVo PR doesn't respond to my emails, but I thought it was just me.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #52
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

I did email my contact at TiVo today about it since I finally got tired of wondering what it was - but she's out of the office today (according to the automated reply) so I may not hear back right away.

|
|
|
Old 09-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #53
dpfels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
I'm thinking the $200 rebate is to get rid of the S3's- or at least make them viable for the future.

online places have them for $599 now so after rebate that's $399. The premium for the front panel and glow remote dont seem so insane at all at that price point.
Sorry- What $200 rebate? I only see them for $500 and change
Dan
dpfels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #54
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfels
Sorry- What $200 rebate? I only see them for $500 and change
Dan
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=365329

The $200 rebate on the Series3 doesn't start until this Sunday (9/16/2007).

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #55
dpfels

Sorry-I missed the earlier post.

I take it I can't get the Tivo web price ($514) with this?
I called Tivo to ask the limitations, but they were fairly clueless.
Thanks
dpfels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #56
debtoine
WTTWDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
I'd love to find out more info on the Crestron/TiVo thing. I saw it reported in Gizmodo, and then it has popped up elsewhere - but no details at all anywhere. Crestron and TiVo both have nothing posted about it. And every mention I've been able to find of it online just says they did a deal to somehow link Crestron touch panels with the S3 - and that's all. Or they just link back to someone else, like Gizmodo, who didn't have any details either.
I can tell you that I saw the press release at the Tivo booth at CEDIA announcing their partnership with Crestron. The date on the press release was, I believe, in September, and Tivo's press release page doesn't have anything that recent posted on it yet.

It's been posted on this board before that Toine works for Crestron, so even if there is nothing available on line to see or read, it's most definitely happening.

deb

Old 09-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #57
morac
Cat God

My thoughts on the matter is that the S3 is no longer being produced. Similarly to how the S2 240 was no longer produced when the S2 540 came out.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #58
jcmitch

The Tivo rep I spoke to indicated that the Crestron enabled control would be IP based, and that it would only be on the Series 3 box.

jcmitch
jcmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:33 AM   #59
debtoine
WTTWDC

This is all from the rep at CEDIA:

Yes, the Crestron control is IP based. The first phase is complete, but a firmware upgrade is necessary to use it.

What it allows you to do is control the TiVo over IP. Functions currently are limited to IR-like commands, as well as direct channel entry (go to Channel 132, rather than pressing 1, 3, and 2).

TiVo is working with Crestron on phase 2, which will have more powerful functions enabled, such as getting guide data about a program.

If you have a Crestron in your system, you should ask your dealer/CAIP about incorporating the IP based module.

Toine

Old 09-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #60
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
You never had signal dropouts or pixelization? Congrats, you're a unique snowflake.
Not necessarily....I've never had them either....and I'll bet you'd get a LOT of S3 users who have never posted here to say the same.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote