TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2007, 08:18 PM   #3571
rad1701

Well, I have a good chunk of the channels now working, but quite a few still are not with the new M Card. Now it's like 4 hours since they came. I'll give it overnight - I guess.
rad1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #3572
thedarksavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1701
P.S. I called Comcast and they said the work order has to be closed out before all my channels will work properly. What a load of ......! They said that can take several hours. I can't even see the basic channels now on my HD Tivo with the cable card inside. Still getting the audio clicking sound for a few seconds after I switch channels on certain ones.
That is a load. I got really lucky and the Comcast guy had my HD TiVo up and running in about 35 minutes. When he first arrived and I told him what I needed, he was very skeptical. He said the CableCards are a real pain. He called in and the operator on the other end walked him through it. The most trouble he had was working the menus and the TiVo remote.

All my channels were working before he left, and that is the experience I've become used to with Comcast.
thedarksavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #3573
rad1701

Yep - I agree. I'm calling them again tonight and setting up a new service visit. My fault partly. I didn't check ALL the channels. That's what happens when they come while I'm cooking dinner too. It's too bad too. The guy said he had extra cable cards in the van.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:06 AM   #3574
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemcduff
We got a 161-4 error and Tivo CC Support had us switch the cards.
Sorry to hear that the support person you had didn't realize that 161-4 is a "good" error.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:06 AM   #3575
myyours

Just thought that I'd chime in with my experience.

Last Friday was my first install appointment. The installer brought an M-Card and although I had heard that M-Cards were more of a punk than the S-Cards, I was optimistic that things would work out. That said, this was the installer's first cablecard install, and in retrospect, he only gave his guy on the phone the Host ID and Cable Card #. Not the Data ID. Of course, only about 12 stations came in (the networks and their HD channels), but the installer insisted that it would probably take a few minutes to kick in, so he left.

I spent the next two days on the phone with various support reps and none of them could get the M Card to work.

To make a long story short...I saw 5 installers, talked to over 15 different reps (I got to the point where I'd call and say "cable card," and if they said "Huh?," I'd say "Thank You", hang up and call back in hopes that the next person knew anything about Cablecards) and I saw 2 M-Cards (which seemed impossible) and 3 S-Cards. There was a time where I had one S-Card fully functioning with premium and digital stations, but when the installer showed up with my second card, he wound up screwing up everything and I went back to have the basic stations again.

Finally, yesterday, my savior D'Andre showed up. This was his first cablecard install, but he had done some research and had found Celeste, the ultimate local support rep, who seemed to be the text book on all things cable related. When he talked to her over his Nextel, you could hear 2 or 3 other installers asking her questions too.

She asked him for the Data, Host ID and Cable Card #s. And for the first time, she also asked for the serial numbers on the actual cards themselves. I'm sure this played no part in properly validating the cards, but I'd imagine that it helped her better organize the cards in their system. We went through the 161-4 errors and all of that and finally, everything worked perfectly.

So, keep trying! There's bound to be one person in your area who knows what they're doing or at least who's patient and thorough enough to exhaust all the possibilities.
myyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #3576
Evilmonkee

Whoever is in charge of keeping Comcast employees/technicians trained and informed of the systems and hardware they use, needs to be fired.

I bought a Vizio 42" LCD from Costco and a new TiVoHD this last Friday. I had made an appointment to have Comcast come out and install the cable cards on Saturday. I setup my TiVo and updated it to the latest software(c2) Friday night so it would be ready to go.

My appointment was to be between 1-3pm. The tech(Patrick) showed up at 4:30p. When I had setup my appointment over the phone I was told that they would be installing a Multi-Stream Cable Card. When the guy showed up he had three Single-Stream Cable Cards. I asked him about the M-Card and he had never heard of them and swore that Comcast didn't use them and nobody else knew anything about it. *Sigh*

Over the course of the next two hours the tech tried and failed to get any of the three cards working. I could tell the neither he nor the tech on the other end of his phone really knew what they were doing. There was so much confusion over the Host and Data numbers and where they were supposed to be entered. The tech eventually gave up and was forced to leave by his supervisor. He told me to call him the next day(Sunday) and he would have another tech who would be working come out with more cards to try.

Day two(Sunday). Different tech(Andy) shows up and he seems a bit more knowledgeable. After some back and forth with the tech on the phone he determines that the numbers were input into the system incorrectly the previous day. They also had some account information screwed up. He successfully gets the first cable card in slot one setup but some HD channels and none of the premium channels work. Second cable card does not work at all. One thing the tech determined was that the signal strength to the box was very low. He poked around the box outside and at the curb but couldn't find the weak link. He said that it was probably bad/old cabling in the walls that they couldn't fix. He theorized that the weak signal was preventing the cable card from receiving the hits. He did not have any other cable cards with him to test out so he says he'll come by first thing Monday.

Day 3(Monday). Andy shows up at 10am as promised. First thing he does is check inside the wall outlets for splitters. In one of the rooms he finds the lines being split twice(there is cable going to 3 rooms in the house). He determines that they are old and underrated so he puts in a new 3-way splitter and tests the signal strength. Way better and within normal levels now. Checking CC1, all channels are now coming in clearly. CC2 is still having problems getting a signal. He brought some more cards to try and finally gets one to work...almost. It gets all channels except for premium subscription(HBO/Encore). Back and forth on the phone several times trying to get the card validated but it is a no go. He doesn't have any more cards to try so he says he can come back on Wednesday(I'm working today) with some more cards.

It's almost all working. Just no premium channels on the second tuner. This has really been a frustrating process, much more than it should ever be. I'm just astounded at the utter incompetence of some of these Comcast guys. Andy has actually been pretty good. He came out on a Sunday and spent a long time working on the problem. He also solved the signal strength problem. I told him it is hard to believe that there could be a problem with so many cable cards. I thought that maybe something could be wrong with the TiVo itself but he actually said that he didn't think so because if it was then it would hold the pairing information. He also said that a lot of times the cards that may be bad could make it back to the warehouse without being marked bad due to inexperienced techs, and then make it out to other installs.

I really hope that a new card will be able to be validated and I can get my premium channels on the second tuner. I also need to see if anything can be done about some intermittent audio drop-outs I seem to be getting on some of the HD channels. Not sure if that is a Comcast or TiVo problem.
Evilmonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #3577
bmel

What have we learned?

I find it odd that we have all these posts about the same problem yet no one can point to a single thing that we can suggest to Comcast to get these things to work right.

Last edited by bmel : 09-11-2007 at 04:52 PM.
bmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #3578
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmel
I find it odd that we have all these posts about the same problem yet no one can point to a single thing that we can suggest to Comcast to get these these to work right.
Two things:
1. Test the cards before they are given to the installers.
2. Train the people activating the cards at the headends.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:40 PM   #3579
Jason C

hello friends. apparently you know my plight. i moved last year making my hd dvr from tivo useless (directv & big trees down the street... no beuno!). so i ordered the dvrs from comcast. dumped the phone company. dumped directv. time to dedicate all my time to my new gf COMCAST. the paris hilton of entertainment.

after the audio drop outs and utter frustration from the dvr built into that scentific whatever box that i could only equate to the YUGO of DVR's i rushed out and got the $250 series 3 TIVO HD from best buy. got it home. got it outta the box. cable card? whats that? called comcast monday afternoon. said they gotta bring it out. ok cool.

tuesday the sub contractor comes. he can't get the two MS cards to work. he says he's done two cc stops before and they never worked.

i'm not gonna bore you with the blow by blow of four days, six techs, six cards, 12 customer service calls, supervisors, dispatchers. they blamed the cards, the equipment, the dog. got a tech named bill santucci who works for comcast out of aberdeen, maryland (harford county). he kept calling bosses at the office, higher and higher. viola! the orginal ms card worked. it was FORMATTING THE SOFTWARE AT COMCAST TO AUTHORIZE THE CABLE CARDS CORRECTLY[u]. That's the fix kids. CAll the CC hotline at TIVO and tell them that comcast is lost. They insist that they've (comcast)has been trained in this arena.
Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #3580
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
Two things:
1. Test the cards before they are given to the installers.
2. Train the people activating the cards at the headends.
That would pretty much cure what ails Comcast.

When a tech finds a bad one in the field I think they are just recycled into the system. One of my initial cards even had "bad" written on it. And guess what, it was bad!

Even the training for the activators doesn't have to be very extensive. Just some sort of expert system that they can follow step by step on their computer screen like most tech support is done these days.

I would like to point out that this thread was started exactly a year ago this week and the stories are indistinguishable one year later. The same thing over and over. A corporate madness of sorts.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:17 PM   #3581
silypuddy

Any one know if one should be getting channels on the second tuner if the CC is missing?

I've been having problems with the second CC in my TivoHD since day one. It is only getting the local SD and HD channels. The second CC doesn't have to be the one in CC2, rather the second CC activated.

Anyways, I thought I had a bad CC so I went to the local Comcast store to try and swap it for a new one. I was told that I need a tech visit even though the CSR on the phone I could do the swap. So I am setup for visit #5 tmr.

When I came home I noticed that I was getting channels on the tuner with the missing CC and now I'm wondering if that is right or if my TivoHD is broken?

Any suggestions?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #3582
rad1701

DAY TWO of my saga (in the Michigan suburbs, by the way):

Contractor guy shows up. Nice guy, but doesn't know about TIVO or cable cards. And has no extra cards with him. My problem has been most of the Digital preferred channels and even some basic cable not working (like channels from about 29 - 62 and the 100's).

First step: I get him to call in all the three cable card numbers: ID, host, data
Doesn't seem to fix my issues.

Step two: It seems for some reason in the system Comcast had me down for Digital Starter and Digital Plus, not just Digital Preferred. We get that changed, rehit the one M Card I have in - still no change - missing many channels still.

I Rerun through setup, no change. Reset TIVO - no change.

So after about 2 hours we decide maybe it's a bad M-card (Motorola). So he sets things up to have "maybe" a supervisor come tomorrow who knows this stuff and with more cable cards.

Sheesh! Why is this so hard?!?!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:10 PM   #3583
jeshaffer

/RANT ON

MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY have had two truck rolls now, the latest one the guy tells me when he leaves that "the box drivers are down" and that they do that a lot. I have no HD content on tuner 2 and the card will not pair, the card has been replaced, but it had a completely different message before that.

I am one phone call away from shoving this back in the box and going back to satellite. How can one company be this stupid in regards to supporting their own products.

I am so furious right now I am ready to throw this thing through the GD wall. And would if it didn't mean i couldnt return it when they cant fix it.

4 hours X 2 off work for a truck roll.

3 X ~1 hour on hold waiting for Tivo to just answer the effing phone (this is ludicrous that their support sucks this badly also)

4 x 30 minutes talking to some inept waste of carbon at Comcast when they told me that "they dont support Tivo" and i laid out the cable labs thing and asked how to spell their name to make sure i didnt misspell it on the FCC complaint filing.

~40 hours of excess blood pressure to try to make this damn thing work in my house. ITS A PIECE OF HARDWARE, IT SHOULDNT BE THIS DIFFICULT TO MAKE IT WORK.

/RANT OFF

Sorry, I am just so furious over this BS at this point. I have no words for how assinine this entire endeavor has been just ludicrous.
jeshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #3584
bluemcduff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Sorry to hear that the support person you had didn't realize that 161-4 is a "good" error.
I think the support guy realized that implicitly--but I'm glad that neither he nor the installer didn't panic or instill FUD when that popped up.

I take back most of the good things I said about that last guy when I recall that this guy jammed in the two cards at once and in the wrong order and he bent out the side panel where it's left a 1/4" gap between the bare metal casing and the black paneling.

Didn't see the bend in the casing until long after he left since I'm normally six feet away and noticed it when I was up close to it.

Also add the fact that he wouldn't leave the remote alone while the headend took forever to hit the cards--but the cards did work thereby saving me from chewing this guy out.

Tivo has offered to exchange the box but I haven't decided on doing so since unscrewing the back and attempting to bend the outer casing back would void the warranty.

Any thoughts as to whether I should keep my Tivo with this problem or send it back with the understanding that I have to play Cablecard roulette with Comcast again when I get the new one since I've been told the cards I have can't be reused?
bluemcduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #3585
oldnacl

While my install went well on Saturday, today I got my cable bill with the charges for the old equipment. I called Comcast and got it resolved (verbally) to the point where I'm getting charged for 2 CCs at $2.00 each (The TiVo is my only "outlet" - no cable boxes). I guess I should escalate to get one CC charge removed, but if the darn thing keeps on working with all the channels I pay for and if that IS what shows up on my bill next month, I wonder if I should let sleeping dogs lie? Previously they were charging me $17.90 for the exact same setup with a Series 3 which I returned and then canceled cable service for a month or so.
oldnacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #3586
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Any thoughts as to whether I should keep my Tivo with this problem or send it back with the understanding that I have to play Cablecard roulette with Comcast again when I get the new one since I've been told the cards I have can't be reused?
Initiate an equipment damage claim with Comcast and get them to pay for it.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:03 PM   #3587
bluemcduff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy
Initiate an equipment damage claim with Comcast and get them to pay for it.
I don't think I'll need to do that because Tivo won't charge me for the exchange (should have been clearer about that)

Although, if I do an advance ship they'll charge me $800 and then credit me when they get my current Tivo back.

I can handle the $800 charge as it minimizes the downtime--it's my patience with incompetent people in the field with bad cards I'm worried about.

Nothing makes me seethe with anger more than watching someone do something utterly wrong and be so powerless to stop it.

If I pull the trigger on this I am explicitly saying to the CSR have the tech test the cards BEFORE you come to my house and not in the Tivo and if (and when) they fail DO NOT shrug and tell me it'll be at least 48 hours until someone can come back.

And they had better bring two or more or I'm not going to be happy to say the least if they don't have two working cards.

Last edited by bluemcduff : 09-11-2007 at 11:08 PM.
bluemcduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:01 AM   #3588
jfh3

Quote:
I don't think I'll need to do that because Tivo won't charge me for the exchange (should have been clearer about that)

Yeah, but why have Tivo foot the bill for Comcast's negligence?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:45 AM   #3589
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
I am trying to imagine what the problem looks like. I would try taking the cover off an see what is bent and see if it is correctable with a little nudge. Since it is working now I would do everything possible to avoid another installation attempt on a replacement.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:28 AM   #3590
rad1701

Ok - I'm up to my third visit coming later today by Comcast. Hopefully the guy will bring more M cards. I want to make sure I have to proper and exact sequence to get my HD TIVO up and running. These are the steps as I understand it right now:

1. Physically insert M-card
2. Run through TIVO menus to get Cable Card #, Data #, Host #
3. Have Cable guy call in ALL the numbers and have Comcast "Hit" the card (is a signal "Hit" ok or should it be a "Init" or "reset" first??)
4. Test card/test channels (especially premium or encrypted stuff).
5. If channels are missing - Try a new card?? (this is what I'm unsure of, do you have to go through the 20-30 guided setup to get TIVO HD to see all the channels after it is "Hit?" I don't think so.)
6. If you get to the point where all channels are ok, do a Guided Setup then restart. (Or should it be restart first then Guided setup? It seems TIVO wants you to do guided setup when a new card is put in).

Anyway, that's about the way I see it. Any of those that have been successful doing this please let me know if I have it correct above.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:40 AM   #3591
oldnacl

In my case of a successful install, the installer verified select channels (HBO HD, Discovery and a few others to see that I was getting channels in the Digital Preferred tier and Premium - I only have HBO) by entering the channel numbers without going through a setup. After he left I did the complete TiVo setup. Others may have discovered missing channels doing it this way but my luck was good. Now if I can get the cable bill straightened out....
oldnacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #3592
silypuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1701
2. Run through TIVO menus to get Cable Card #, Data #, Host #
For a SA CC is the data # on the card or a CableCard screen?

Is it the number above the host id on the Host ID screen?

I can't seem to find a field called "data"...
Old 09-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #3593
bmel

Fixed! With An Explanation.

My first M-card installation on a TivoHD with an inexperienced tech and dispatcher resulted in a cc which gave me no more than basic cable. Today I had better luck and some knowledgable people and was up and running with everything I pay for in just 30 minutes.

The answer: I have Comcast TV and Internet service. Each outlet is listed on Comcast's computer in a certain order. Prior to getting my tivoHD I had 2 motorola dvrs and a third non-dvr digital cable box and my cable modem on this list. So the list looked like this:

1 dvr1
2 dvr2
3 non-dvr box 1
4 modem

I replace the non-dvr box with the TivoHD. After the first install the list on their end looked like this:

1 dvr1
2 dvr2
3 modem
4 tivohd cable card

Apparently your comcast digital package authorization is carried, in order down this list until you reach the modem. anything after the modem does not get the proper authorization.

The dispatcher changed the list to

1 dvr1
2 dvr2
3 tivohd cable card
4 modem

All is working. So simple.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #3594
mhargr03

Quote:
Apparently your comcast digital package authorization is carried, in order down this list until you reach the modem. anything after the modem does not get the proper authorization.
That is interesting. I wonder if this applies nationwide? What general area are you in?
mhargr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #3595
bmel

South Central PA

I always knew the problem in my situation related to proper authorization. Using the tivo support pages and the diagnostics on the tivoHD I could tell that the card had a good signal, was properly paired, but was not authorized correctly. Reordering the outlets on the Comcast computer allowed the proper authorization to occur.

Last edited by bmel : 09-12-2007 at 11:31 AM.
bmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #3596
Evilmonkee

Yup, getting the outlet order is essential.

Just had my fourth visit from Comcast today to get the second CC validated to receive premium channels(HBO, Encore). Thought that they were going to have to try another CC to get it working. The tech called in and re-verified all the numbers and the outlet. It was, of course, set incorrectly. I think all the previous times they were entering the information for the second CC to the wrong outlet. So they sent the hit to the card and bam, it worked.

Such a HUGE PITA! Happy that they're both working now and don't have to deal with Comcast anymore...for now. The only problem now is the audio dropouts I'm experiencing on some of the HD channels. But from what I hear that is a Tivo problem that's hopefully being addressed.
Evilmonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #3597
silypuddy

VICTORY!!!

I finally have two CCs working in my TivoHD.

It only took 5 tech visits, over 10 CSR calls and 1 visit to the store.

All the fifth guy did was replace the card and call it in. He didn't give any information other than the CC number as they had the host id from my previous four visits.

It probably helped that he had someone on the line who sounded like she knew what she was doing. She even warned us that it would take time for the hit to arrive because there were 67 in the queue.

Now to convince the wife to get a second TivoHD for upstairs...
Old 09-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #3598
rad1701

I should only have two devices for my list. My TIVO HD cable card and modem. So I'm hoping the listing thing isn't the issue - at least for me. But I do still think it's an authorization issue on the card.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:41 PM   #3599
clemon79

Quote:
That's REALLY interesting. And potentially useful, since I traded in my two S-cards for a single M-card today, and I get to make The Dreaded Phone Call when I get home tonight.

(Where undoubtedly they will screw up my billing again.)

Anyhow, thanks for posting that...any information I can be armed with, after my last experience, will be useful...

(Today at Comcast, the lady asked me if I had "one of the new Tivo Series 3 HD's, the ones that cost between $800 and $1000, because Tivo told us that M-cards won't work in those." When gently corrected, she insisted that was what Tivo specifically told her to ask customers. I don't think so, babe.)

Last edited by clemon79 : 09-12-2007 at 06:26 PM.
clemon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 PM   #3600
SuperEgo19

Cable Doofus

Well, my cards were installed by Comcast on a couple of days ago here in Houma Louisiana. The cable doofus showed up with his padawan learner and he asked assuredly where my two TVs were so he could install these puppies. I told him he would be installing them in my TIVO, and he said he was not authorized to put the Comcast cards in a TIVO box. I told him that was the stupidest thing I ever heard because there is no difference whether he puts them in a TV or in a TIVO box. Then, he tries to talk me out of it by saying I would lose all of my HD Channels and he opines that there is no way it was going to work and he was going to leave because he could not get authorization from HQ. He said he'll come back later cuz he didn't have "an hour" to play with this. I got irate and told that SOB to leave the cards on my coffee table and I would install them myself. I then put the TIVO manual in his face and opened the slot on the front to show him where to put them. I had already waited two and a half weeks for this schmuck to appear at my house and he was going to leave b/c he was a retard without any technical knowledge whatsoever. I finally persuaded him to "install" them. He sat on my couch while I wrote down the data on the diagnostics for him to activate my cable. He said he could not wait around to see if it worked. I told him to hit the F#$% road! Well, the cards work...sometimes. The cards and the installation are fine, but my channels go black all the time. Even with the new software "Upgrades". There are channels I have yet to see on my TIVO. Don't know what the hell is wrong. Signal strength is fine. Diagnostics look good. It HAS to be a TIVO problem. The problem occurs mostly on CableCard 2. I have an HDMI connection. Any suggestions?
SuperEgo19 is offline   Reply With Quote