TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #3541
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1701
So if you wanted to pick which cards to go with for a new Tivo HD setup which would it be? One M (multistream card) or two S - cards. The Comcast guy is coming Monday for me.
Hands down, one MCard.

Newer, less chance of needing a firmware upgrade, only one card for the cable company to activate.

Last edited by jfh3 : 09-08-2007 at 04:08 AM.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #3542
bizzy

i'd prefer not to pay for a second card every month, but i am wierd like that
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:12 PM   #3543
rad1701

Good points. I pretty much knew that, but I was just checking if the one M-card seems to cause any other issues or anything.
rad1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #3544
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
on many cable systems ALL digital content (HD or even SD) is copy protected. (with the exception of the legally mandated local channels which must be kept clear)
I'm no expert on this, and probably should keep my mouth shut (it is shut as I type this) but I would think that this would be true for some systems, but not many (in terms of total subscribers).
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:55 AM   #3545
WeBoat

I just wanted to update my 7 week TivoHD CC issue.

They got it fixed.

I've been talking to a senior engineer at the head end for the last few days. He calls about 3 or 4 times a day and wants me to "check" the missing channels. Last night (a Friday night!) he called at 9:30 and they all were coming in. No reboot, no reconfigures at my end.

I am in an area that was Time Warner until about a year ago. He said the issue had to do with the interface between comcast and the old TWC system. He said they have tons of issues like this because the have to support the old TWC and the new Comcast boxes.

Just FYI if you are in SWFL....
WeBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:00 AM   #3546
wam4

I'm in Atlanta, too and set up my appointment for the CCs in late August. The first Saturday they had was today (Sept 8th) and THIS MORNING - the day of the appointment - they call me to say that they "have no CC's in the warehouse and they're on back order." I told the guy they have the worst customer service...I mean, they can't check earlier this week to see if they have the equipment they need for thier upcoming appointments?? I skipped going to see GA Tech play today - from a box, too - and now they aren't coming. Incredible.
wam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #3547
bmel

missing channel update

The comcast tech who was supposed to come out this am (Lancaster, PA) for a 2nd attempt at install cancelled. He claimed I cancelled. More than likely he did not want to hassle with the cc. My irate call resulted in a $20 compensation for my 4 hours this am. I begged for a conversation with a supervisor, got one in West virginia who knew nothing about cable cards but promised to send an email to a more senior supervisor, but no promise to get back to me. They seem to think the cc should behave exactly like their cable boxes. Apparently not. Rescheduled truck roll for Wed. (sorry to bore you but this is a great place to vent, very therapeutic)

In running thru the diagnostics for the M-card in my Tivo HD, using the info from tivo.com/support , I find that the card is communicating, paired but not authorized. I'm still missing all encrypted channels. Would it be worth time on the phone with tivo support? Is there some magic they can get me to communicate to comcast on the steps for authorization?

Last edited by bmel : 09-09-2007 at 06:21 AM.
bmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #3548
Uncle_Steve

My experiences so far with Comcast and Cable Cards:

- day 1: technician brings an M-card and two S-cards (2 hours late), installs M-card it and it doesn't work. Says it will work after guided setup completes and leaves. It's late and I'm tired. The card never works.

- day 2: Different tech comes out. Discovers that the office had two digits of the card number transposed. Leaves after system is receiving all except premium channels. Says NOC needs to reconfigure card. NOC reports seeing an error they've never seen before. Twilight Zone music plays.

- day 3: Two techs this time. Bring some single-stream cards. Replace the cable end on the cable from the street. Disconnect my OTA for some reason. (Fortunately I notice this!) Leave after an hour or so and one attempt to re-hit the existing M-card. Admit they're never seen an M-card before.

- day 4: Yet another tech. Brings two s-cards. First one returns an error at the NOC. Puts the m-card back in and leaves things no worse than before (everything except premium channels working) Makes appointment for Monday to return with another m-card. Is skeptical that there's anything wrong with this end of things, but is equally ineffective as I have been in getting office personnel to try things.

Oh yeah -- these are all Scientific Atlanta cards. This is Howard County Maryland.
Uncle_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #3549
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy
So about 10 minutes after the guy leaves, I get an automated call saying to expect someone from 11:45 to 12:30, which I thought was just a mistake from the earlier appointment that hadn't been corrected yet.

20 minutes later, I get a call from the Comcast guy and he's downstairs. He said he went back to base and his supervisor found two cards laying around. We insert the first (an M-card...yay!) only to not receive the encrypted channels after several hits and INTs. The second card (an S-card, which I gladly would've taken until the mess could get sorted) gave a 161-1 error which indicates either a bad CC or a bad CC reader (it was a bad CC, because the TiVo did recognize that a card was inserted, and it got all the hardware and firmware info fine).

So now I'm waiting for customer service to call me to reschedule.

*sigh* I just KNEW this was going to be a saga.
The saga continues. Customer service never called me back yesterday, and when I called they claimed there were no available appointments.

I went down to a local office today for an unrelated issue (modem swap) and inquired about another truck roll. They just so happened to have an M-card in the office and asked if I would like that. I would. Apparently there's no option for self-install in my area and they weren't supposed to do that, even though a manager approved it. Here's where it gets fun.

I call to provision the CableCARD and they tell me they can't do it. I tell them there must be a way because I have "friends" throughout the country who have been able to do it themselves, and that I'd like it activated now. They take the serial number without asking for the host ID or data number. When this doesn't work, as I told them it wouldn't, they try to arrange for another truck roll. I indicate that I don't want to do that and ask to be elevated to a supervisor. None are available. Seriously, WTF?

Tried calling again and got basically the same story. I refuse to pay to get another tech out here, only to have him call his magic dispatch number and get it activated immediately, especially when I'm more than capable of doing this and I already have the damn card.

Bastages.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #3550
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmel
The comcast tech who was supposed to come out this am (Lancaster, PA) for a 2nd attempt at install cancelled. He claimed I cancelled. More than likely he did not want to hassle with the cc. My irate call resulted in a $20 compensation for my 4 hours this am. I begged for a conversation with a supervisor, got one in West virginia who knew nothing about cable cards but promised to send an email to a more senior supervisor, but no promise to get back to me. The seem to think the cc should behave exactly like their cable boxes. Apparently not. Rescheduled truck roll for Wed. (sorry to bore you but this is a great place to vent, very therapeutic)

In running thru the diagnostics for the M-card in my Tivo HD, using the info from tivo.com/support , I find that the card is communicating, paired but not authorized. I'm still missing all encrypted channels. Would it be worth time on the phone with tivo support? Is there some magic they can get me to communicate to comcast on the steps for authorization?

Brian
Tivo has a special phone number specifically for handling cable card issues. I believe that other people who have called them have actually had them tell Comcast what needs to be done on their end based on the diagnostic information.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #3551
jeshaffer

Comcast cable card issue. Installed today and am missing several channels on both tuners.

appears to be 23, 24, 25. I get the "searching for XXX on basic cable message.

I called and was told they were paired properly and have a truck roll scheduled for Monday.

Anyone have input for what they can do remotely to fix this so i dont have to take a half day off?

EDIT: Actually missing about 20 channels. a lot below 99 and a number of others. CC2 appears to have some pairing issues.

Last edited by jeshaffer : 09-08-2007 at 09:33 PM.
jeshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #3552
bluemcduff

Ignorance at Comcast Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam4
I'm in Atlanta, too and set up my appointment for the CCs in late August. The first Saturday they had was today (Sept 8th) and THIS MORNING - the day of the appointment - they call me to say that they "have no CC's in the warehouse and they're on back order." I told the guy they have the worst customer service...I mean, they can't check earlier this week to see if they have the equipment they need for thier upcoming appointments?? I skipped going to see GA Tech play today - from a box, too - and now they aren't coming. Incredible.
I wanted to chime in on this too since I've had to deal with the absolute ignorance that pervades Comcast Atlanta.

I just had a contractor (He's the second one I've had) leave on me because he had a bad cablecard and wouldn't even try the second one. Nice guy, but totally clueless.

And to make matters worse, he won't take the first cable card that malfunctioned in the first place.

The first time they sent people out on Thursday, I wanted to tear my hair out by my roots because not only did they not know what they were doing--they only brought out one card when I explicitly asked for two cards.

I later find out that their supervisor wouldn't let them bring out two cards and would only give them the one.

I loved the fact that one of their dolts said "This isn't hooked up to an HDTV, it won't work." and "My DVR box from Comcast is so much simpler."

So we try the one card and it eventually pairs--I leave for work and when I come back I have a cablecard that can't decrypt anything above basic and is showing zeros on the host screen.

Finally, you'll love the fact they don't even have Series3s to test with let alone train people on.

Sorry to vent like this for my first post, but despite these problems I love my Tivo and I'm sticking with it until Comcast gets its act together.

Last edited by bluemcduff : 09-08-2007 at 05:12 PM.
bluemcduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #3553
KeithRos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithRos
Finally, the Tivo guy offers to replace the box. So I say why not - we seemed to have tried everything else. So a new box will be here in 3-5 days.

The Comcast Tech spent 2-1/2 hours at my house missing his other two morning appointments. He was very apologetic about the problems. At this point I feel that Comcast has done everything they can.

Stay tuned for more fun...
Missing Channels update
My replacement TIVO showed up Friday. I immediately installed and went through the setup. Also forced a update. The Tivo box they sent had the 8.7.1a software. Called the comcast cable card line and left a message. They called by about 2 hours later and it only took a couple minutes to initialize the card. Since I had to let the tivo re-do guided setup, I let the comcast tech go. After the set up was done I re-booted and.....no change. Still missing the same channels. So I guess it is safe to say it's not the Tivo. The tech told me to call on Monday with results either way. I'll spend more time with them and see if we can boost the signal.

BTW, early this afternoon the cable signal here got really crappy. The Tivo lost all HD and HBO. The picture looked like crap on all but Comcast box. I tried using On-demand and got errors. I wonder how often this happens. I never noticed before.
KeithRos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:58 AM   #3554
oldnacl

Success in S FL.
My Comcast installer arrived a half hour later than the scheduled window after a call to tell me he'd be late. I appreciated that call.
He'd been at another TiVo install earlier and said it took 2 hours to get the people in the office to correctly authorize the cards - went through 6 S cards before finding two that worked. He had six more with him - says no M cards (in this market) before 2008.
First card looked good, second card too, but he had trouble getting the right person in the office for authorization. Then the second card wasn't in the office database. Pulled it and inserted another. Took another hour to get to the right person in the office (it WAS lunch time) and the authorization was successful. Checked and saw HBO HD and Discovery HD. Pronounced it a success, packed up and left with my SA Cable box. I went through TiVo setup and all is good. No pixelation so far- a couple audio dropouts but that could be the program I recorded.
Anyone in the West Palm Beach to Boca area might do well to request this installer. His first name is Guy. This is the second time he's been at my house and he's very professional and knowledgable.
Now if the billing comes out anywhere near correct....
oldnacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:27 AM   #3555
bmel

[quote=KeithRos]Missing Channels update
Called the comcast cable card line and left a message. They called by about 2 hours later and it only took a couple minutes to initialize the card. Since I had to let the tivo re-do guided setup, I let the comcast tech go. After the set up was done I re-booted and.....no change. Still missing the same channels. So I guess it is safe to say it's not the Tivo. The tech told me to call on Monday with results either way. I'll spend more time with them and see if we can boost the signal. QUOTE]

What's the cable card line? A special number with more knowledgable reps? Is it national?
Old 09-09-2007, 06:38 AM   #3556
WeBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithRos
Missing Channels update
My replacement TIVO showed up Friday. I immediately installed and went through the setup. Also forced a update. The Tivo box they sent had the 8.7.1a software. Called the comcast cable card line and left a message. They called by about 2 hours later and it only took a couple minutes to initialize the card. Since I had to let the tivo re-do guided setup, I let the comcast tech go. After the set up was done I re-booted and.....no change. Still missing the same channels. So I guess it is safe to say it's not the Tivo. The tech told me to call on Monday with results either way. I'll spend more time with them and see if we can boost the signal.

BTW, early this afternoon the cable signal here got really crappy. The Tivo lost all HD and HBO. The picture looked like crap on all but Comcast box. I tried using On-demand and got errors. I wonder how often this happens. I never noticed before.

If you tried on-demand on the comcast box and it looked bad, you might have signal strength issues. Did the installer check that? If the strength is low, CC's have lots of issues.
WeBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:50 AM   #3557
jeshaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBoat
If you tried on-demand on the comcast box and it looked bad, you might have signal strength issues. Did the installer check that? If the strength is low, CC's have lots of issues.
That was something no one had checked (including me) on my installation. I was at a signal strength of about 55 on my box. I disconnected my cable modem and my 3 DIG boxes and it was at 92. Waiting for a truck roll Monday morning.

Anyone know of a good signal amplifier?
jeshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #3558
rad1701

I just got my HD TIVO installed and ready for cable card install by Comcast tomorrow. How do I force an update again to get the latest TIVO software? Is this still possible to do if I haven't "activated" this new box on my account yet?
Old 09-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #3559
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
I just got my HD TIVO installed and ready for cable card install by Comcast tomorrow. How do I force an update again to get the latest TIVO software? Is this still possible to do if I haven't "activated" this new box on my account yet?
Within the first 7 days, it's fully operational regardless of its sub status.

You can do this by forcing a connection to TiVo.

Come back to that same screen until it no longer says "processing" or some such.

If you ever see "pending restart" there, and also check system information, then force a restart of the box.

Repeat several connections to TiVo, in particular after the forced reset if you get the "pending restart" showing.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #3560
rad1701

Think I got the update now. 8.1.7c2.... version. Menu's don't seem any slower than my old TIVO. All ready for Comcast and my cable card tomorrow!
Old 09-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #3561
bluemcduff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemcduff
I wanted to chime in on this too since I've had to deal with the absolute ignorance that pervades Comcast Atlanta.

I just had a contractor (He's the second one I've had) leave on me because he had a bad cablecard and wouldn't even try the second one. Nice guy, but totally clueless.

And to make matters worse, he won't take the first cable card that malfunctioned in the first place.

The first time they sent people out on Thursday, I wanted to tear my hair out by my roots because not only did they not know what they were doing--they only brought out one card when I explicitly asked for two cards.

I later find out that their supervisor wouldn't let them bring out two cards and would only give them the one.

I loved the fact that one of their dolts said "This isn't hooked up to an HDTV, it won't work." and "My DVR box from Comcast is so much simpler."

So we try the one card and it eventually pairs--I leave for work and when I come back I have a cablecard that can't decrypt anything above basic and is showing zeros on the host screen.

Finally, you'll love the fact they don't even have Series3s to test with let alone train people on.

Sorry to vent like this for my first post, but despite these problems I love my Tivo and I'm sticking with it until Comcast gets its act together.
I got a wonderful CSR last night who not only appreciated the frustrations I've had with installers who have cut and run at the first sign of trouble she credited the bill for $169!

Now that's service!

I now have an appointment tomorrow from 11-2 with a third technician who (hopefully) has expertise with installing cablecards.

I'm just hoping now that the rest of the Atlanta staff become as helpful and understand that cablecards don't just go into TV's
Old 09-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #3562
Uncle_Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Tivo has a special phone number specifically for handling cable card issues. I believe that other people who have called them have actually had them tell Comcast what needs to be done on their end based on the diagnostic information.
What is this phone number?
Uncle_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:08 PM   #3563
bluemcduff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Steve
What is this phone number?
I've had to call twice--it's 1-866-986-8486
Old 09-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #3564
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
I'm no expert on this, and probably should keep my mouth shut (it is shut as I type this) but I would think that this would be true for some systems, but not many (in terms of total subscribers).

it's pretty much impossible to tell at the moment- not many customers are really paying attention since very few people have anything that curently can transfer content. But when MRV gets turned on and some people have trouble transferring we'll find out exact numbers.

For the time being I know that there's "enough" posts here and at avsforums to to show me (in my head at leat- LOL) that it's not just limited to my head end. There's clearly many (as in more than a few or several) head ends affected- but as you point out since there's probably hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of head ends in the US it's tough to say how many people are really effected.

for example this post:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5484394
says timer warner in NYC has it all locked down like that- and that's certainly a big pile of people....

Last edited by MichaelK : 09-09-2007 at 09:38 PM.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:24 AM   #3565
clemon79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclap
I just had them hit, validate, hit, validate.
Excellent, that's really good information to be armed with. I think I'm gonna try to get 'em swapped out on Wednesday....wish me luck!
clemon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #3566
rad1701

Still waiting on Comcast cable guy to show up and install my cable card. Appointment time was between 2pm - 5pm today. It's 4:31 pm now. Anyone taking bets out there?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #3567
robtech
Tivohead

Quote:
Still waiting on Comcast cable guy to show up and install my cable card. Appointment time was between 2pm - 5pm today. It's 4:31 pm now. Anyone taking bets out there?
If you are lucky he will bring a Motorola M-card. Been running a single in my Tivo HD for weeks with no issues.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:19 PM   #3568
rad1701

Well they came about 15 minutes late. Installed one card. Have to see what type it is. Most seems ok but I'm getting a little audio buzz or clicking noise when I first change channels, but it goes away after a couple of seconds. Signal says it's at about 82 strength. Still doing some tests and going to reset the TIVO.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #3569
rad1701

Crud....now I'm getting nothing on my HD TIVO! It seems I have a Motorola card, went through guided setup twice now. Called Comcast to resend a signal....restarting now. Dang - why is this such a pain?

P.S. I called Comcast and they said the work order has to be closed out before all my channels will work properly. What a load of ......! They said that can take several hours. I can't even see the basic channels now on my HD Tivo with the cable card inside. Still getting the audio clicking sound for a few seconds after I switch channels on certain ones.

Last edited by rad1701 : 09-10-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #3570
bluemcduff

Success on Third attempt for CC install in Atlanta

Finally, I got a wonderful tech who I've gotten before--he brought two good cards.

We got a 161-4 error and Tivo CC Support had us switch the cards.

Fifteen minutes later, the headend hit the cards and they worked.

I am now running my Series3 at full functionality and loving it!

Now if I could only get Apps.tv and Galleon to work...