TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
phoenixZed
Registered User
 
phoenixZed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14
Angry Cox Fairfax Starting SDV Sept 10

I received a call from Cox today telling me that as of Sept 10 I will receive no new HD channels because I use CableCARDs and offering to rent me a Cox set-top box. I asked if this meant Cox was going to use SDV, but neither the representative or her manager knew what that meant. Checking my most recent bill, I found this on page 2.

"In order to enhance our services and add new channels, Cox has beun a process called switched digital. Current CableCARD customers, whose host devices do not offer two-way communication capabilities, will not be able to access 54 of the switched digital channels (mostly pay-per-view) starting September 10. Unfortunately, Cox has no control over the technology in these host devices. We can offer you the option of leasing a Cox digital receiver so that you can continue to have access to all of the programming we have to offer, plus On DEMAND."

I called Cox back and spent half an hour on hold while they tried to find out what 54 channels will be SDV, only to be told that that information had not yet been released. I did a quick search of the forum, but I didn't see another announcement of Cox implementing SDV, only TW and Brighthouse, so I thought this was worth posting.
phoenixZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
jfh3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver area
Posts: 4,463
In addition to calling Cox, make sure you file a complaint with the FCC ...
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,857
You should post in this thread to keep it up to date (SDV FAQ):
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=357703
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:13 AM   #4
djones18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixZed
I received a call from Cox today telling me that as of Sept 10 I will receive no new HD channels because I use CableCARDs and offering to rent me a Cox set-top box. I asked if this meant Cox was going to use SDV, but neither the representative or her manager knew what that meant. Checking my most recent bill, I found this on page 2.

"In order to enhance our services and add new channels, Cox has beun a process called switched digital. Current CableCARD customers, whose host devices do not offer two-way communication capabilities, will not be able to access 54 of the switched digital channels (mostly pay-per-view) starting September 10. Unfortunately, Cox has no control over the technology in these host devices. We can offer you the option of leasing a Cox digital receiver so that you can continue to have access to all of the programming we have to offer, plus On DEMAND."

I called Cox back and spent half an hour on hold while they tried to find out what 54 channels will be SDV, only to be told that that information had not yet been released. I did a quick search of the forum, but I didn't see another announcement of Cox implementing SDV, only TW and Brighthouse, so I thought this was worth posting.
Where are you located?
djones18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
ZombiE
TIVO Bender
 
ZombiE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fort Walton Beach
Posts: 202
He is in Fairfax, VA.
__________________
TiVo user since Dec 27th, 05

TCD540040 - S2 282 hours, HD died, back to 80 hours.
TCD649080 - S2 DT 351 hours!
TCD649080 - S2 DT 560 Hours!
ZombiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
MickeS
Registered User
 
MickeS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 25,883
"Unfortunately, Cox has no control over the technology in these host devices. We can offer you the option of leasing a Cox digital receiver so that you can continue to have access to all of the programming we have to offer, plus On DEMAND."

What a really unfortunate side-effect for them.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
ciper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
"Unfortunately, Cox has no control over the technology in these host devices. We can offer you the option of leasing a Cox digital receiver so that you can continue to have access to all of the programming we have to offer, plus On DEMAND."

What a really unfortunate side-effect for them.
Seriously.

Seems like a win-win for them. They blame not having enough capacity for switching to SDV but the capacity is being used up by their on demand crap.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 2,013
Multichannel News article:
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6470803.html
Quote:
Cox Gears Up HD Boost With Switched Digital Video
(...)
Cox Communications has begun rolling out switched digital video systems from BigBand Networks in its Northern Virginia market and expects to deploy the technology in two other systems later this year.
(...)
In Northern Virginia, where Cox has about 240,000 subscribers, the SDV system will go live systemwide in about 30 days, according to Kelso. Later this year, Cox plans to roll out the system in its Phoenix and Orange County, Calif., systems.
(...)
Cox did not disclose any particular HD channels it expects to offer using SDV.
Nutshell: Fairfax (NoVa) first, then Phoenix AZ and Orange County CA later. No word yet on actual channels.

Note: NoVa / Fairfax is a Scientific Atlanta market. I believe Phoenix AZ is as well. However, I think OC CA is a Motorola market. As noted in the article ... looks like (part) of the roll-out is a proof-point of running the same (BigBand) SDV system in both SA and Motorola plants. AFAIK, Cox would be the first to do that.

Last edited by dt_dc : 08-22-2007 at 11:33 AM.
dt_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc
Multichannel News article:
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6470803.htmlNutshell: Fairfax (NoVa) first, then Phoenix AZ and Orange County CA later. No word yet on actual channels.

Note: NoVa / Fairfax is a Scientific Atlanta market. I believe Phoenix AZ is as well. However, I think OC CA is a Motorola market. As noted in the article ... looks like (part) of the roll-out is a proof-point of running the same (BigBand) SDV system in both SA and Motorola plants. AFAIK, Cox would be the first to do that.
Thanks for the post. Yes Cox Orange County CA is a Motorola system. In addition to this SDV rollout in this area they have been frantically updating headend and node equipment from 750MHz to >=860MHz as well to meet the target of capacity for 50 HD channels by end of the year (a target set by Cox president Pat Esser in response to DirectTV aggressive HD push this year):
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6453819.html
Just hope they don't get too agressive with SDV and include channels that I currently do receive under the SDV umbrella.
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
djones18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 67
Cox in my area of Northern Virginia going SDV, cableCARD prices more than doubling in less than two months! Yikes! I hope my recent TIVO HD purchase proves to be as good as it seemed at the time.
djones18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
precarious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by djones18
Cox in my area of Northern Virginia going SDV, cableCARD prices more than doubling in less than two months! Yikes! I hope my recent TIVO HD purchase proves to be as good as it seemed at the time.

Just got off the phone with a well-informed "customer loyalty specialist" from Cox Fairfax who told me which channels will go SDV effective on September 10th and which those of us with S3s using cablecards, will not be able to access as they will no longer receive a dedicated frequency.

157 - Nasa Channel
158 - Jewelry Television
159 - Cable Marketplace II
164 - CSPAN 3
223 - BET on Jazz
227 - Ovation
233 - AML - American Life TV
239 - CMP - Country Music Prime

All the PPV channels

All of the Spanish Language from 400-430
All other "Premium" foreign language channels from 271-276

He said that this could of course change after Sept. 10th, but this was the latest
info he had. All of the other channels he felt would not be affected. He didn't seem
to know very much about the "tuning resolver" talked about as a solution. Hope this helps anyone who is a Cox subscriber in Fairfax using a S3 with cablecards.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #12
thewebgal
Registered User
 
thewebgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DC 'burbs
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious
Just got off the phone with a well-informed "customer loyalty specialist" from Cox Fairfax who told me which channels will go SDV effective on September 10th and which those of us with S3s using cablecards

All the PPV channels

All of the Spanish Language from 400-430
All other "Premium" foreign language channels from 271-276

Hope this helps anyone who is a Cox subscriber in Fairfax using a S3 with cablecards.
Yep - thanks a bunch - I'm in Fairfax City and it seems like I've go no alternative to COX because it looks like FIOS is building around the city (maybe a contract issue??).
I just hit 30 days with my new TIVO HD - I'm optimistic, but ...
thewebgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #13
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious
157 - Nasa Channel
158 - Jewelry Television
159 - Cable Marketplace II
164 - CSPAN 3
223 - BET on Jazz
227 - Ovation
233 - AML - American Life TV
239 - CMP - Country Music Prime

All the PPV channels
All of the Spanish Language from 400-430
All other "Premium" foreign language channels from 271-276
That's encouraging at least for now that a bunch of crap channels (to me anyway) are in the list - hope Cox Orange County takes the same approach. Odd that VOD channels were not mentioned - in my headend there are currently 10 dedicated RF channels for VOD (80 slots in all) so I would hope they make VOD switched as well.
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:48 PM   #14
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 386
Does anyone know how far out from Phoenix Cox is going with their test? I'm maybe 40 miles out from the city.
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #15
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
That's encouraging at least for now that a bunch of crap channels (to me anyway) are in the list - hope Cox Orange County takes the same approach. Odd that VOD channels were not mentioned - in my headend there are currently 10 dedicated RF channels for VOD (80 slots in all) so I would hope they make VOD switched as well.
Anybody have an estimate of just how much bandwidth this move will free up? There are 97 channels here by my count. (8 from the Variety tier, 31 from Paquete Latino, 6 premium international tier -- they should switch all of the international tier to SDV, too -- and 52 digital PPV).
__________________
"Mmm... forbidden donut."
Revolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #16
mriechers
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 54
Please FIOS... another Fairfax COX customer here fearing the inevitable. At least the initial channel shock won't be too bad, I think I've told Tivo to ignore all of those channels from my guide already.
mriechers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:25 PM   #17
StuffOfInterest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: McLean, Virginia, USA
Posts: 87
Note that the original poster says "I will receive no new HD channels". It looks like the existing HD channels will stay off of SDV but any new HD content will be in that area being freed up by the channels listed above.

I live in Fairfax County myself and despite my dislike of Verizon may have to look at switching to FiOS when I finally buy a TiVo HD. Considering that Cox has real competiion in Fairfax County you would think they would be more responsive to the community. Unfortunately, FiOS coming in has done nothing to lower my cable rates, which are actually going up.

Keep your fingers crossed that TiVo has a skunkworks project out there to get SDV support in either current or future models of TiVo. If they don't, the cable companies are going to push them out one way or another. It appears the FCC doesn't really care about enforcing regulations like CableCard use these days as it isn't a money maker for them like spectrum auctions.
StuffOfInterest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #18
CharlesH
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Milpitas (San Francisco Bay Area)
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffOfInterest
Keep your fingers crossed that TiVo has a skunkworks project out there to get SDV support in either current or future models of TiVo.
It's not exactly skunkworks. It has been announced by the cable company trade organization (NCTA). It is a USB dongle that will be attached to existing TiVo S3/THD boxes, along with a software update. See this thread.

Last edited by CharlesH : 09-10-2007 at 02:28 PM.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #19
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious
Just got off the phone with a well-informed "customer loyalty specialist" from Cox Fairfax who told me which channels will go SDV effective on September 10th and which those of us with S3s using cablecards, will not be able to access as they will no longer receive a dedicated frequency.

157 - Nasa Channel
158 - Jewelry Television
159 - Cable Marketplace II
164 - CSPAN 3
223 - BET on Jazz
227 - Ovation
233 - AML - American Life TV
239 - CMP - Country Music Prime

All the PPV channels

All of the Spanish Language from 400-430
All other "Premium" foreign language channels from 271-276

He said that this could of course change after Sept. 10th, but this was the latest
info he had. All of the other channels he felt would not be affected. He didn't seem
to know very much about the "tuning resolver" talked about as a solution. Hope this helps anyone who is a Cox subscriber in Fairfax using a S3 with cablecards.
Well, it's Sept. 10 (going on 11, shortly), and I still have the above variety pack channels. Bad intel?
__________________
"Mmm... forbidden donut."
Revolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:59 PM   #20
precarious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionary
Well, it's Sept. 10 (going on 11, shortly), and I still have the above variety pack channels. Bad intel?
All I can say is that I am happy it hasn't happened yet. That's what the CSR told me
and it was also what was told to me when Cox made a special call to my home warning of which channels would be affected. I wish it would never happen, but I have a feeling that even though it wasn't today, it's around the corner unfortunately.
Then again, the Cox CSRs could all be full of it! Take your pick.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #21
djones18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 67
Fairfax Cox Users:

Please let us know when this happens and the effect on your TIVO HD. Thanks.
djones18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:48 AM   #22
jcaudle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 217
Cox Fairfax county

I now own a system 3 with S cards from SA. Do the M cards have 2 way functionality when used with the Tivo HD? do they work around SDV? I had been thinking of buying the HD as a second unit, but not sure that I should with the uncertainty.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:24 PM   #23
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by djones18
Fairfax Cox Users:

Please let us know when this happens and the effect on your TIVO HD. Thanks.
It hasn't happened yet for me. But the effect is easily predictable: you won't get those channels anymore. There is no other option.
__________________
"Mmm... forbidden donut."
Revolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #24
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudle
I now own a system 3 with S cards from SA. Do the M cards have 2 way functionality when used with the Tivo HD? do they work around SDV? I had been thinking of buying the HD as a second unit, but not sure that I should with the uncertainty.
You should read the SDV FAQ. But the short answer is no and no (please, please, for-the-love-of-God please, nobody feel the need to chime in "technically, yes -- all Cablecards support 2-way, blah blah blah...).
__________________
"Mmm... forbidden donut."
Revolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #25
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffOfInterest
Note that the original poster says "I will receive no new HD channels". It looks like the existing HD channels will stay off of SDV but any new HD content will be in that area being freed up by the channels listed above.

I live in Fairfax County myself and despite my dislike of Verizon may have to look at switching to FiOS when I finally buy a TiVo HD. Considering that Cox has real competiion in Fairfax County you would think they would be more responsive to the community. Unfortunately, FiOS coming in has done nothing to lower my cable rates, which are actually going up.

Keep your fingers crossed that TiVo has a skunkworks project out there to get SDV support in either current or future models of TiVo. If they don't, the cable companies are going to push them out one way or another. It appears the FCC doesn't really care about enforcing regulations like CableCard use these days as it isn't a money maker for them like spectrum auctions.
FIOS charges around $43 for their digital tier which includes all the HD cahhensl(except for premiums like HBO). You can get an even better deal by getting the triple play and still getting the same channels.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #26
MickeS
Registered User
 
MickeS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 25,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionary
You should read the SDV FAQ. But the short answer is no and no (please, please, for-the-love-of-God please, nobody feel the need to chime in "technically, yes -- all Cablecards support 2-way, blah blah blah...).
Actually, nobody needs to chime in with that, since the question was "do m-cards have 2-way functionality when used with the TiVoHD". The only correct answer there is no.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #27
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
Actually, nobody needs to chime in with that, since the question was "do m-cards have 2-way functionality when used with the TiVoHD". The only correct answer there is no.
You think that's funny?



You think that's FUNNY?



YOUTHINKTHAT'SFUNNY?!


*Head Explodes*
__________________
"Mmm... forbidden donut."
Revolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #28
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 575

__________________
"Mmm... forbidden donut."
Revolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #29
precarious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8
Got the official letter in the mail from Cox Fairfax today: Switched digital starts October 16th with the offer of trading in my cablecards for a STB in order to continue receiving the channels I would be losing (nothing really important) and any new high definition programming that would be added after October 16th (very important). What a bummer!
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #30
jrm01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
Actually, nobody needs to chime in with that, since the question was "do m-cards have 2-way functionality when used with the TiVoHD". The only correct answer there is no.
Ah, let's see if I can come up with another answer.

Yes the m-cards do have 2-way functionality when used with a Tivo, however the Tivo is not able currently to take advantage of this functionality.
__________________
Comcast, Cox, TW, Charter and BHN are cabal companies.
(That is not a spelling error. Check the definition.
)
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |