TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2007, 07:53 AM   #151
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasemoy
I'm new to this Tivo thing. I just bought a pioneer dvr 810 on ebay. I don't have a phone line and no wireless routers...so i'm trying to plug it into my motorola cable modem via a usb cable. For some reason, though, it doesn't seem to be connecting. What could be the problem?
That's not going to work. The USB port only works with an Ethernet or WiFi adapter. Get yourself a supported USB Ethernet adapter and then connect that to your cable modem via an Ethernet cable.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:12 AM   #152
jasemoy

I just bought a pioneer 810h on ebay. It was working fine until I connected to tivo and it downloaded the latest software. I was using it that evening and everything still seemed fine....even scheduled a recording for that evening. But, the next day, I turned the tv on only to find that the tivo was at the powering up screen. It gets to the "almost there" screen and then eventually back to the powering up screen. It just keeps doing this loop and won't completely power up. I know a lot of people would say this is a bad hard drive issue, but why would it be working fine and then suddenly die after a software update.
jasemoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:49 PM   #153
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

It probalby downloaded a software update when you hooked it up, and for some reason (probably bad hard drive) the update failed, and you are stuck in a loop. You need a new drive and a Pioneer 810 image.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #154
kat57

Help with parental control

Hi,
We have a Pioneer Tivo unit that we love. Our problem is that someone set the parental controls and does not remember what they entered. We've talked with Tivo support but won't do anything until we sign up for the service. Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Kat57
kat57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #155
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Are you able to perform a Clear-And-Delete-Everything with the parental controls on?
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 PM   #156
Travis810

Exclamation pioneer 810H burner problem

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum-- I have a pioneer 810H and I love the unit but my burner fails and tells me that the falure was due to an internal error. Anyone know how I can replace the burner??
Travis810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #157
Rich.Wolfson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis810
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum-- I have a pioneer 810H and I love the unit but my burner fails and tells me that the falure was due to an internal error. Anyone know how I can replace the burner??
Before you replace the burner are you aware that it will only burn DVD-R disks (Not DVD+R) and not Dual Layer disks either? Look carefully at the disks you have before you go further. I assume it will play disks?

Rich
Rich.Wolfson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #158
evilipoo
Trust no 1

Question Experience with Pioneer fixing your Tivo?

So we have finally 'caught up' with most of last season's recorded programming and are ready to send out the 810 to Pioneer for a new burner.

Has anyone done this? What are your experiences? Has anyone found a way to replace the burner yourself?

I really, really hate to be without for however long it takes to get this fixed...

Thanks...

evilipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #159
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

evilipoo,

A few questions first.
1. Have you upgraded the TiVo? bigger hard drive? If so, do you still have the original drive? If so, put the original back into the TiVo before sending it to Pioneer to fix. Usually, they just send you a replacement and transfer your service to the new one.
2. What were the symptoms of your failed burner? Couldn't read discs? Couldn't write discs? What type of discs did you try? -Rs or -RWs? Did you try different brands of discs. Did you reboot after a failed burn?
3. Have you talked to Pioneer about a fix? It will probably cost you about $200 to get it fixed.

Unfortunately, the DVD writer in the Pioneers has something special in it and is not user replaceable with a standard DVD writer. Check out my posts earlier in this thread. I've tried many different drives with no success. (Success meaning the drive will both read discs [not a problem] and write discs [never seems to work].)

I have not tried the Pioneer DVR-111 or DVR-112 drives in the Pioneer Tivos. I've heard of some success with these, but in the Humax DVD TiVos and Toshiba DVD TiVos, not the Pioneer TiVos. There is no guarantee that one of these newer DVD writers will work in the Pioneer TiVo.

What I've done is gotten a couple "spare" Pioneer TiVos so I can cannibalize them for parts, if and when one of my online TiVos fails. You may be able to get one from Ebay. Just another idea.

Hope this helps,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #160
Travis810

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
Before you replace the burner are you aware that it will only burn DVD-R disks (Not DVD+R) and not Dual Layer disks either? Look carefully at the disks you have before you go further. I assume it will play disks?

Rich
Rich, my unit will play disks fine and somtimes it will start a burn and fail just less then half way thru and tell me that it is due to an internal error. I though it may be an overheating issue and it's not.. I am going to try and find DVD-R or -RW that are firmware 1x or 2x and see if that helps. IT seems to me that if the DVD drive were about to die I would not be able to play movies which is not the case. and to answer your question I did know that the unit will only burn DVD-R or RWs

Thanks for your help and I will keep you posted
Travis810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #161
evilipoo
Trust no 1

robomeister, a couple of answers and follow up questions:

Quote:
1. Have you upgraded the TiVo?
Nope
Quote:
Usually, they just send you a replacement and transfer your service to the new one.
I have heard this an am leery of getting someone else's "problem" Is there any way to veify that this is std practice?

Quote:
2. What were the symptoms of your failed burner? Couldn't read discs?
Yep
Quote:
Couldn't write discs?
Yep
Quote:
What type of discs did you try? -Rs or -RWs?
Sony & TDK -R that I had been using successfully up to that point.
Quote:
Did you try different brands of discs.
Yep
Quote:
Did you reboot after a failed burn?
Yep
Quote:
3. Have you talked to Pioneer about a fix? It will probably cost you about $200 to get it fixed.
Last year. But I have been hesitant to send for the above reasons.
Quote:
Unfortunately, the DVD writer in the Pioneers has something special in it and is not user replaceable with a standard DVD writer. Check out my posts earlier in this thread. I've tried many different drives with no success. (Success meaning the drive will both read discs [not a problem] and write discs [never seems to work].)
What I've done is gotten a couple "spare" Pioneer TiVos so I can cannibalize them for parts, if and when one of my online TiVos fails. You may be able to get one from Ebay. Just another idea.
Thanks, I had not thought of this... my hardware knowledge is limited to the typical home hook up stuff and replacing a failed PC hard drive a few years ago. I am thinking that I might wing it tho. Did you have success with a even swap 810 burner for 810 burner?

Many thanks.
Eva
Old 07-22-2007, 09:03 AM   #162
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

evilipoo,

Yep, swapping the DVD writer between 810 units is the only method I've found to successfully replace the burner. The trick is getting the burner out of the unit without totally disassembling the TiVo. There is a way of manually ejecting the tray with a straightened out paper clip and removing the front bezel from the end of the tray. I've explained my procedures in this thread.

Did you ever try a DVD-RW? I've had success in 'fixing' after a bad burn on a DVD-R by using a DVD-RW (max 2x speed).

Good luck,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 07-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #163
evilipoo
Trust no 1

Thanks, robomeister. All good advice. I will try the less expensive option first
Eva
Old 08-20-2007, 03:24 AM   #164
Skuits

Recording more than 3 days in advance with the Pioneer 810H-S

Hello all, I am awaiting my recent purchase of the Pioneer 810 and see that the Tivo basic service only has a 3 day advance programming?

I thought it might be easier to ask the knowledgeable.

What are the steps for programming the Tivo function to record a weeks worth of TV shows? Assuming this is possible?

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by Skuits : 08-20-2007 at 03:25 AM. Reason: typo
Skuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #165
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Skuits,

The TiVo Basic service is a stripped down version of the regular TiVo subscription. It only gives you 3 days of guide info. No way to change that. If you want to create Season Passes and Wishlists, you'll need to subscribe to TiVo. If you want to use MRV, TiVoToGo, or any other networking service, besides connecting to TiVo for guide info, you'll need to subscribe to TiVo.

You can set up recordings to repeat at a specific time and day, just like a VCR. But if the show moves (and most shows seem to move to a different day or time), the TiVo will not follow it.

You can choose shows from the guide, but it will only record that show, not any subsequent shows.

Hope that helps,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 08-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #166
Skuits

Programming the Pioneer like a VCR

Thanks for the info, that's about what I figured with regard to the programming. I am actually using the device like a VCR in that I don't have cable at my home, so I am planning to park the unit at a friends to collect the shows I like to view them at home.

So essentially I can set the unit to record a time slot and whatever is playing in that time slot is what I'll get.

Is upgrading to Tivo regular the standard monthly fee, there's no discount for having basic already?

Is upgrading the hard drive in the Pioneer unit very difficult? Where does one get the software to image onto the new drive?

Thanks for the info,

Mark
Old 08-20-2007, 10:32 PM   #167
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Skuits,

I'll try to answer your questions as you asked them.

Nope, no discount on already having TiVo Basic. But if you are willing to pay up front for 3 years of service, it can be had for $299. That is a little over $8 a month. And if you plan to have the TiVo at a friends house, you could set up season passes remotely from any internet connection. When you sign up for service, you create an account on tivo.com. Your account will show all your TiVos and you can do Online Scheduling. Makes things really easy. TiVos with just TiVo Basic cannot be added to your tivo.com account.

Upgrading is pretty easy on the Pioneers. To open the unit, all you need is a standard philips head screwdriver, no Torx 10 or Torx 15 needed. To do the upgrade yourself, having a computer with 2 IDE chains makes things much easier. Many newer computers don't have 2 IDE chains, so upgrading is a bit of a pain. You also need a mfs tools boot CD. I've used the one available at weaknees and the one available at mfslive.org . mfslive.org has a handy online command line generator.

Basically, you take the hard drive out of the Pioneer (assuming it works with no problems), set it to master, put in a larger blank drive, set it to slave, attach both to the same IDE chain, keep your CD or DVD player on the other IDE chain, disconnect your Windows hard drive (important step), run the command to copy the old drive onto the new drive, remove the drives from the computer, set the new drive to Cable Select, re-assemble the TiVo and you're done. Sounds like a lot, but it's not too bad.

When I did my first upgrades, I followed the weaknees instructions. They were very helpful.

For more info on upgrading, check out the Tivo Upgrade Center here on this site.

Good luck,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 08-25-2007, 02:22 AM   #168
Skuits

Multiple Recordings and TiVo messages and recording DVD's???

Hello all,

I manually set up the Pioneer 810 to record some shows and evidently have some time conflicts. I don't understand the messages and options I get regarding "some or all of the programs won't be recored or some will be clipped by 5 minutes" I was hoping someone could give the simple verbiage for what I'll get with the different options. It seems that one option is don't record the newly picked show and the other is record the show with some portions clipped???

My next question is regarding copying shows to DVD. I've chosen to get the most time for recording the most shows on the DVR and I thought I could get more on each DVD? I noted a breakdown when I changed the record quality and thought I could make a six hour DVD? Is this true?

Also, when I use the find TV shows demo and I find a show from the list I want to record, I select it and nothing shows up in the to do list? Is this just a demo and not working because I only have the TiVo basic?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 08-27-2007, 01:42 AM   #169
Skuits

What Type of Drive is the Best for the 810H IDE...?

Hello again, what is the best drive for the 810H? I want to add a 500GB drive and am wondering if it matters as long as it is an IDE drive?

Western Digital has one for around $100. I notice weaknees uses the Seagate DB35 but they are a bit more expensive.

thanks,

Mark

Last edited by Skuits : 08-27-2007 at 04:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #170
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

The Pioneer doesn't care what size of drive you put into it. But the drive must be IDE or P-ATA or PATA. Not SATA. I have one of my Pioneers with a 750GB drive in it and it doesn't complain at all.

To get the full use of the drive, you have to use an MFS tools disc that is LBA48 aware. The weaknees disc and the mfslive.org disc work just fine for this. Don't try the Hinsdale boot disc. The Hinsdale guide should be used for historical purposes only. It is not up to date at all.

Hope that helps,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 08-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #171
Skuits

Best Pioneer Hard Drive

Thanks for the info, I am off to order the new drive and I'll check out the MFS tools!

I really appreciate the guidance

Mark
Old 08-27-2007, 09:02 PM   #172
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I have recently bought a DVR-810H. I noticed that if I transfer a show via MRV from a regular Series2 box, the Pioneer will not allow me to record to DVD, since it says the format is incompatible. My question is: Does the other TiVo need to have a DVD recorder in order to transfer and record a show on this one? The reason I ask, is that I have another unsubscribed DVR-810H with a broken DVD drive. If it will allow me to transfer to the good 810H, then I will replace my plain-jane Series2 box with it.

And another question: Is the 57H really just the same thing as an 810H but in a black shell (and with a slightly bigger hard drive?) I can't find any specs that say it is any better, but people are getting insane prices for them on eBay.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.

Last edited by Arcady : 08-27-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #173
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Arcady,

Regarding burning shows with the Pioneers or any other DVD burner TiVo: It doesn't matter where the transfered show comes from, from a Series 2 TiVo, from another Pioneer, from TiVoToGoBack, etc. If a show has been transfered, it cannot be burned on the TiVo. The only way to burn a show is to have the TiVo record it first. This can be done via regular recording (from OTA or cable or satellite connections) or if you record from a VCR or other video source. But anything that was transfered to the TiVo cannot be burned. So you won't be able to transfer shows from your broken Pioneer to the working Pioneer. Believe me, I've tried it and it doesn't work.

Regarding the Pioneer DVR-57H. Yep, that is the Elite Pioneer model of the DVR-810H-S, with a sturdier case and a larger drive. The 57H is much heavier than the 810H-S, more metal in the case. But essentially the same machine. I own several of both, and notice no difference in performance. The drives are even interchangeable. But if you put an 810H-S image on a 57H, the system info page reports that the TiVo is a 810H-S. And if you put a 57H image in a 810, it reports it as a 57H. I think the 57H requires the drive to be at least 120GB, or it doesn't work. I had this problem recently. I put an 80GB stock drive from a 810H-S into a 57H, and it didn't work, and it somehow hosed the drive so it wouldn't work in the 810H-S anymore. I was able to restore from a backup and get things working again, though.

Hope that helps,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 08-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #174
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Thanks for the info.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #175
DuPeD

Cool Video Processing is the biggest difference ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomeister
Arcady,

Regarding burning shows with the Pioneers or any other DVD burner TiVo: It doesn't matter where the transfered show comes from, from a Series 2 TiVo, from another Pioneer, from TiVoToGoBack, etc. If a show has been transfered, it cannot be burned on the TiVo. The only way to burn a show is to have the TiVo record it first. This can be done via regular recording (from OTA or cable or satellite connections) or if you record from a VCR or other video source. But anything that was transfered to the TiVo cannot be burned. So you won't be able to transfer shows from your broken Pioneer to the working Pioneer. Believe me, I've tried it and it doesn't work.

Regarding the Pioneer DVR-57H. Yep, that is the Elite Pioneer model of the DVR-810H-S, with a sturdier case and a larger drive. The 57H is much heavier than the 810H-S, more metal in the case. But essentially the same machine. I own several of both, and notice no difference in performance. The drives are even interchangeable. But if you put an 810H-S image on a 57H, the system info page reports that the TiVo is a 810H-S. And if you put a 57H image in a 810, it reports it as a 57H. I think the 57H requires the drive to be at least 120GB, or it doesn't work. I had this problem recently. I put an 80GB stock drive from a 810H-S into a 57H, and it didn't work, and it somehow hosed the drive so it wouldn't work in the 810H-S anymore. I was able to restore from a backup and get things working again, though.

Hope that helps,
robomeister
Actually, I think the 57H has more hard-coded video (advanced ASIC's) processing for the output.

As for using additional burners, I have not had luck with the DVR-111 series being used inside the 57H.

I have successfully installed a 750GB Seagate disk as well in that system.
DuPeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #176
rgarretson

My beloved 810H seems to have died (stuck on the Powering up ... please wait message), which I assume means the original HD has failed. I have a lifetime Tivo sub, so I'd like to get it fixed, but the $200 seems high, compared to what you can get a new Series/3 for. What are the latest recommendations on the best choice for a replacement HD?

Thanks.
--Rob

TivoHD, Lifetime
Pio 810H, 500GB, Seagate DB35, Lifetime
DirecTivo HR10-250 (reluctantly retired)
rgarretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #177
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

If you are into do-it-yourself options, you could go out an buy an IDE or P-ATA drive, download Instant Cake from www.DVRUpgrade.com and "bake" the TiVo software onto your new drive. Make sure you download the right version for your Pioneer.

If you already have an image of the drive saved somewhere, you could use the mfstools found at www.mfslive.org and restore your backup to a new drive.

Or you could visit www.weaknees.com or www.dvrupgrade.com and buy a pre-configured drive for your Pioneer. They'll send you a drive and all you have to do is open your Pioneer and replace the hard drive. A standard philips head screwdriver is all you need.

The Pioneer TiVo is a very nice unit and worth bringing back to life, especially if you have a lifetime sub on it.

Good luck,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 09-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #178
Skuits

I am about to upgrade my 810 with a Western Digital 500 GB I got from Newegg for $112, shipped to my door. The specs are similar to the Seagate hard drive sold on the Weeknees site. I am planning to image the drive myself with the help of a friend who is pretty savvy. Weeknees also offers imaging the drive for you for $55. There's a post a few up from this that outlines how to go about imaging your new drive and at the top of the post is a link to the Weeknees instructions.

Good luck!

Mark
Old 09-05-2007, 11:48 PM   #179
saberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarretson
My beloved 810H seems to have died (stuck on the Powering up ... please wait message), which I assume means the original HD has failed. I have a lifetime Tivo sub, so I'd like to get it fixed, but the $200 seems high, compared to what you can get a new Series/3 for. What are the latest recommendations on the best choice for a replacement HD?

Thanks.
--Rob
Where did you get the $200 quote from? I called Pioneer support because my 810H seems to be dying. (The picture freezes during playback.)

I asked the person I spoke to where there there was a Pioneer authorized repair shop and he said the only one was in Long Beach, CA and that the repair fee was a fixed $350.00 including return shipping. (The only reason for repairing it is that it has lifetime service attached to it.)
saberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:19 AM   #180
saberman

I have a Pioneer 810HS which seems to have a failing disk drive -- the playback will freeze for a few seconds and it is sometimes difficult to get past the sticking point.

I called Pioneer support and the only thing the person that took the call could suggest was to power the unit off for at least twenty minutes and then plug it back in. He said this would cause a disk reset and check. When I did that the starup time seemed to be the same as any restart so I doubt the system actually ran a disk check.

There has been some discussion of using panic codes:
http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ostID=10249544

Do these work for the Pioneer 810HS?
saberman is offline   Reply With Quote