TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #91
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

The original S3 can only use M-Cards like an S-Card today, you'd still need two cards. The TiVo HD has full M-Card support.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:44 AM   #92
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
Some, if not most, have M-Card now. But roll-outs tend to be region by region.
I have an M-Card install into my new TiVoHD scheduled for next Tuesday afternoon. I am with Brighthouse Networks Tampa, a subsidiary of TWC.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #93
JoeSchueller

TWC In Cincinnati has m-cards in their own STB's, but will not supply them for TiVo customers. My FCC complaint goes in tomorrow.
JoeSchueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #94
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller
I have an M-Card install into my new TiVoHD scheduled for next Tuesday afternoon. I am with Brighthouse Networks Tampa, a subsidiary of TWC.
Brighthouse just showed up with an S-Card, SA Part #: PKM600 instead of the M-Card that I was supposed to receive. I have one stream working. The installer was, of course, clueless on the whole issue. I'm calling Brighthouse now to get a second S-Card or try for an M-Card again.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #95
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller
Brighthouse just showed up with an S-Card, SA Part #: PKM600 instead of the M-Card that I was supposed to receive. I have one stream working. The installer was, of course, clueless on the whole issue. I'm calling Brighthouse now to get a second S-Card or try for an M-Card again.
I spoke with a Sales Associate for quite some time and she basically didn't think they had more than one kind of CableCARD. Anyway, I'm waiting on a call back from a tech.

Also found the fly sheet for the M-Card --> SA Product Sheets

The M-Card is the PKM800. The S-Card is the PKM600.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:59 AM   #96
sbiller

FWIW, following in the footsteps of another TiVo community user who filed a complaint with the FCC, I filed the following letter to the FCC at fccinfo@fcc.gov and the City of Tampa at City of Tampa Cable TV Complaints :

To whom it may concern,

My name is XXXX. I am a resident of Hillsborough County at XXXX. I am a current subscriber to cable television with Bright House Networks. I have two Tivo Series 3 Digital Video Recorders, which require two single-stream cableCARDS or one multi-stream cableCARD to receive digital cable television.

Bright House Networks recently raised its CableCARD monthly fee to $3.95 per card resulting in a monthly charge of $8.90 per TiVo unit to receive digital cable. This is $1.95 more than the monthly fee that Bright House Networks charges for one of their own HDTV cable boxes which is $6.95.

I feel that this is unfair, predatory pricing by Bright House Networks since the cableCARDS are required in the cable box for which they are charging less money. They are clearly trying to discourage the use of 3rd party devices like the TiVo or televisions equipped with cableCARD slots.

Since I have invested in TiVo hardware which requires cableCARDS to be fully functional, I have given up some of my rights as a consumer to choose TV service providers, in the hope that my local cable company (Bright House Networks) would provide a fair service at a fair price, and I must say I am very disappointed. Since there does not appear to be any other viable cable competition to Bright House Networks in my residence, I'm writing to you, hoping that the FCC is aware of, and can put a stop to these unfair pricing practices by Bright House Networks towards CableCARD users.

Sincerely yours,

XXXX

I know many of you pay more than $3.95 per card but $3.95 is clearly excessive pricing by Bright House.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #97
magnum68

The comcast tech came over this morning with two cablecards and one of them did not work. To make matters worse, the comcast tech had never installed one in a Series 3 unit. He did not know what to do. He'll be back on Tuesday with the second cablecard. And now I can't get any channels over 25. Called comcast and they told me that the card has been activated but he has no idea how the Tivo unit works. This sucks big times. Anybody here have any idea on how I can get these channels to work?

magnum68
magnum68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #98
marcsorel

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum68
Called comcast and they told me that the card has been activated but he has no idea how the Tivo unit works. This sucks big times. Anybody here have any idea on how I can get these channels to work?
I'm in the same boat with Charter. The guy left me a couple of CableCards and then said he'd call me when I could put them in the TiVo- he called about 30 mins later and said they were activated, I put them in the S3 and nothing...

I've called the Charter 800 number a few times but no one seems to know anything- they just know that it's activated and should be working, and all I can get them to do is reconfirm the serial #s on the outside of the cards....

This just in- I got the first guy who gave me the cards to come back, and now he's on the phone with someone who wants things like Card ID #'s and Host #'s etc. I'm guessing we're headed in the right direction, but now on their end my main card says pair failed and my second seems stuck on pair pending and no one has any idea what to do.

Does anyone here have any advice/ideas? (It's quite sad that both the tech and the person at Charter have no clue what to do now)
marcsorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #99
magnum68

Comcast is sending another tech to my home tomorrow morning. I'm going to show him about cablecards on Tivo's website. There's some sort of instruction for installing the cablecards. Hopefully we'll be able to get it going.

magnum68
Old 08-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #100
cody_dingo

M-Cards in KC

TWC Kansas City just told me they are expecting to roll M-Cards out next week sometime. Two weeks at the latest. The guy told me he is testing "two kinds of tivo units" right now and "things look promising."

Just wanted to give the forum an FYI what I was told today.
cody_dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #101
magnum68

Quote:
Comcast is sending another tech to my home tomorrow morning. I'm going to show him about cablecards on Tivo's website. There's some sort of instruction for installing the cablecards. Hopefully we'll be able to get it going.

magnum68
No luck, two guys came. One of them had tivo experience. Brought three extra cards and he was on the phone with dispatch for a while and dispatch told him that all cards were bad. Even the tech didn't buy that. I just gave up and asked him if they had a dual tuner DVR in thier truck. They did so I'm going to use that for now. Way too much of a headache with these cablecards. Sorry Tivo but I will not use the series 3 until this cablecard dilema goes away. I am happy with Comcats's dual tuner DVR, for now!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:15 PM   #102
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsorel
now on their end my main card says pair failed and my second seems stuck on pair pending and no one has any idea what to do
Since there is no communication path from the cablecards in the TiVo back to the cable system, I wonder how their end knows anything about the state of the cards? Unless it is actually instead talking about some sort of internal consistency check in their databases?
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #103
srjtr7

Just got 4 cable cards for my 2 Tivo HD's

I have Fios in Arlington, MA.

Tech showed up, put in 1 card in each. Broke out his laptop and entered the cards.

Checked the cannels.

Put in 2nd cards...registered on laptop and tested channels.

Ran the guided setup ...and everything went perfect.

I have not seen an pixels yet. What channels should I look on??
1- Series 4- 4 tuner on the way

Sitting collecting dust-----
Tivo Series 2
2- Direct Tivo Series 2 Hughes
srjtr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:06 PM   #104
andrewket

I've got 3 TivoHDs up and running with 5 S-cable cards. The first card we tried to install was bad, and we had a few typos inputting all the data onto Verizon's provisioning system, but after that was rectified all went smoothly.

It's so nice to have my Tivos back. Now if Verizon would just get M-cards I would be happy.

Andrew
andrewket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #105
dubluv
tivo lover

just a headsup about two-way streaming capability for cc 1.0

here's my original link
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=364663

Premier 4
Humax DRT400 (250gb) 'Lifetime'
TiVo HD 'Lifetime' (320gb)
TiVo HD, soon to be gifted to my son ;-)
dubluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #106
holligl

Quote:
No luck, two guys came. One of them had tivo experience. Brought three extra cards and he was on the phone with dispatch for a while and dispatch told him that all cards were bad. Even the tech didn't buy that. I just gave up and asked him if they had a dual tuner DVR in thier truck. They did so I'm going to use that for now. Way too much of a headache with these cablecards. Sorry Tivo but I will not use the series 3 until this cablecard dilema goes away. I am happy with Comcats's dual tuner DVR, for now!
Did you take it back through a Guided set-up? I had a Comcast setup last Saturday (suburban Chicago). The tech showed up without any cable cards, even though I told Comcast on the order I needed 1 M-card, and a Standard cable card for my Mitsubishi 231. After explaining what was needed, he left and came back with three M-cards. After several hours (their techs apparently wait in the phone queue just like we do) he still could not get all the channels or HD. (We tried one of the M-Cards in the Mitsubishi, which seems to recognize it, but it would not raise the Cable Card Menu to do the pairing. Plan to exchange and try a standard card.)

At this point he is checking all the cable signals, replaced some splitters, and left me another one for the attic. He is indicating the signal isn't good enough for digital, and I will have to get an amplifier.

He leaves, I run the Guided Set-up, and low and behold all the TiVo channels are working perfectly. I don't know if Comcast gave it another hit, or the Guided set-up was all that was needed. (Don't touch anything!)
2x Comcast M-card, HDMI & Composite
holligl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #107
ChromeAce
Early Adopter

Please add Atlantic Broadband to your list.
ChromeAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #108
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just had 4 Motorola cablecards installed in two TiVo HD boxes with FIOS TV. It took some time but they are working. At least the tech was able to do everything from his noteook pc. With Comcast they had to keep relaying info over the phone. Anyway it's working great so far. I'll be looking forward to December when I get my Series 3 boxes switched from Comcast to FIOS. I might do it sooner if everything works out OK for the rest of the month.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #109
magnum68

I am thinking of buying a cablecard, maybe off ebay. I've had two bad experiences with the comcast techs not being able to get their cards working with my S3. So I don't want to waste my time with them. Has anyone ever bought their own cablecard and contacted comcast to have it activated? If so, was it successful?

Magnum68
Old 09-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #110
TheMightyTick

After waiting 3 days shy of one month for SuddenLink to get a shipment of cable cards, I have a successful cablecard install on my TiVo HD on the first attempt. They used Motorola S cards. It took about 1.5 hours. Here are some quick notes:

The first card installed and was activated, but when I would test the channels, I would get the channel names, but no video or audio on any channel. Not knowing what to do we went on to the next card, hoping that the audio and video would show up later on the first card. The second card was installed and activated but would never show the channel names. The installer had the cable company hit the cards again. Then both cards got stuck on channel 3.

The installer said this was a good sign as he sees this happen on the cable provided DVRs and cable boxes he installs. He said that once the order is closed out then everything typically works. It was late on a Friday and he had to go and just suggested I wait and see if it would work at some point over the weekend and if not, call for help Monday. I didn't like being left, but the installer was not solving the problem so I understood. He made a comment that when installers get a job to install a cablecard, they usually try to push it off onto another installer. He said it could take anywhere from 15 minutes to 3 hours!

After he left I waited maybe 10 minutes and got nothing. The cablecard statuses were all OK, so I decided to simply choose to restart the TiVo HD from the menus. Once it rebooted, everything started working perfectly.

I think if I had known that a reboot was required, it could have cut the install time in half or even less (since the installer reworked some of my cable splitters). At one point the installer wanted me to get out of the cablecard channel test screen and use the reguler TiVo channel tuning. I didn't think it was a good idea because it must connect and get all the program guide and such, but he insisted. It ended up taking maybe 20 to 25 minutes!! And you cannot cancel it!

I did get really annoyed that I asked for cablecards to be installed in my TiVo HD on Aug 10 and was told that as a policy, SuddenLink only supports installing cablecards in TVs and their own equipment. I told them that that policy would probably make me not be a customer of theirs soon. Then that night I found out about the FCC cablecard mandate and went back the next day. They promptly scheduled an install for 2 days later. Got a call on install day, 10 minutes after the window opened, from the installer saying that they were all out of cards and it would be 2 or 3 days to get some more in. After waiting 1 week I heard nothing and called and they said they are still on order. I was beginning to worry about them just delaying things to avoid installing in my TiVo HD.

I waited 1 more week and heard nothing and called and was told they were still on order and then I demanded to know when they would be expected to arrive and was told Aug 31. I went on Aug 30 to the cable office to complain and such and luckily the warehouse manager showed up to say that the cablecards had arrived the day before. The scheduled the install for Sep 7, which was successful, thankfully.
TheMightyTick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:04 AM   #111
clcbmason

Time Warner Cable- Chapel Hill

So I got my HD from Amazon and made and appt. to have the cards installed. I asked the woman who books appts. to have the guy bring two S cards and an M card just in case. He got to my house and told me that he had never heard of M cards and neither had the guy at the place where he picks up equipment for jobs. He DID bring two S cards so I thought that we would be good to go. He puts them in and calls TW to get them activated and is surprised when the supervisor of the techs asks to speak with me. So I get on the techs cell phone and this guy proceeds to tell me that I should have specified that these were going in a Tivo HD ( I did) and that the FCC has started fining them because they have been using S cards in the Tivos. I was floored. He had no answers as to why they would single out Tivo owners...yada yada yada!
Long story short he said that they would "track down an M card" and make another appt. So that is where I stand. This is getting frustrating to say the least. They said they would call me first thing Monday the 17th although I am not holding my breath. I did get a hold of a customer service supervisor and the install will be free b/c of the screwup.

BTW I called Tivo to see what they thought of the FCC thing and the tech said it was horses**t.
clcbmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #112
johnb73

Note on Cablecards and Tivo3 problems:

Just to have my experience written down for the record, and hopefully this is a good place for it.

I was having what I thought were problems with TWC cable in NY. On the 2nd tuner, with 2 SA cards installed, I would get what I thought was the usual pixelation/macroblocking issues that I read about all over these forums. However, it wasnt until a Wikipedia visit that I realized I was not having pixelation or macroblocking, but simple video data errors. I had lived with this problem since installation, mostly attributing it to "bad channels" because the video corruption/audio loss seems to be occurring on certain cable channels that we frequented. The funny thing was that the 1st tuner was fine, and both cards where the exact same SA cards. I also thought for a while that it was a signal strength problem, because the Tivo meter showed 99% on the 1tuner and sometimes 89% on the "bad channels". But, once I realized that it was just simple data errors, I recalled the cablecard setup screen.

When you configure the cablecard, there is the SP diganostic screen (the first screen viewable on the list). This had a field for "Decryption". On the 1st card, it said "OK" and on the second it said "No ECM detected" or something close. Now, of course, my tech knowledge told me ECM = error correcting module. Ah-a! Did I feel silly after almost a year of living with the corruption. So I just ejected the card and reinserted it until the 2nd card read "Decryption=OK" and I have been ok since. I might get an artifact once per show, but the improvement is dramatic making all shows watchable once more. Hopefully this helps people out there like me who have been combing these forms for months upon months trying to find the solution.

some key words for those google searchers;
tivo3 HD pixelation corrupt video error audio loss
johnb73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #113
Patranus

Well,

Had 2 cable cards installed Wed. Didn't work. Tech came on Friday, 1 worked 90% of the channels, the other worked with 10% of the channels.

Just got off the phone with Comcast. Have to have a 3rd tech come out.

I was also informed that they will be taking away some HD channels which were "grandfathered" into my plan and still charge me the same amount per month.

Kinda wish I never bought my TiVo and switched to Direct TV - But now love my TiVo and would never consider getting ride of it. ARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Patranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:43 AM   #114
t-shady

Service Electric of Lehigh Valley, PA (SECTV)

For those of you that have Service Electric of Lehigh Valley, PA (SECTV)

I picked up my 2 cablecards for my HD Tivo with no issues. They are $2.95/mo to rent and require a $25/ea deposit. I didn't realize, but they are multi-cards so you only need 1 of them for your HD Tivo. I will have to return my un-used card.

Installation was incredibly painless. I popped the card in and called the service department to activate the card (they provide the card number on your receipt). I was up and running in less than 5 minutes. SECTV does not provide onDemand, but you can still order pay-per-view with the cablecard.

-t
t-shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #115
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchueller
TWC In Cincinnati has m-cards in their own STB's, but will not supply them for TiVo customers. My FCC complaint goes in tomorrow.

For what its worth TWC in Columbus, Ohio has M-Cards and installed one in my Tivo Series 3 (to replace a S-Card that went bad). Still running in S-Card in slot 2 though. So at least they have no issues with putting M-Cards in Tivo's.

However, there seems to be an issue with Scientific Atlanta M-Cards and the Tivo Series 3 that I am working with a CableCard guru at TW Columbus with (they have a Tivo Series 3 in their shop as well).

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #116
ji0005

Chicago Cablecard

Just an FYI, I called today to setup an appointment for a cable card install for my new Tivo HD, and they informed me that all Chicago offices (not sure about burbs) will now allow the customer to pickup cards. So I headed over and grabbed one.
ji0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:57 PM   #117
mrdazzo7

Man i WISH Cablevision did the same thing... I hate the idea of having an installer come, because not only do I have to wait around for a 'window' of four hours, but I don't own the house I live in so I hate having random people come in to do stuff to my TV (haha). Would so much rather pick up the cards and activate myself, since I can follow the Tivo directions and get it done, unlike some of the cocky techs who refuse to read then spend two hours getting no where. Hopefully my experience isn't that bad.
mrdazzo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #118
johnnylundy

My Comcast tech had two comments:

1. "Hey, I didn't know you had to insert the cards one at a time."

2. "I'm on a CableCARD job. I really kind of hate these things because they usually don't work."

No wonder they "don't work" if he doesn't know how to install them.

I insisted that he follow the TiVo directions. It worked fine.
johnnylundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #119
Joybob

What's the point?

I just got my S3 box and it's so much better than the box the cable company gives.

That aside, I stole the M-card from the cable companies box and stuck it in the tivo and it works fine. My question is; is there any point to having an M-card vs. a S-card. I thought a S3 couldn't handle multi-stream from 1 card. If that's the case why is it so much more expensive than the Tivo HD? Is this something they can fix with an update?
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #120
magnum68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob
What's the point?

I just got my S3 box and it's so much better than the box the cable company gives.

That aside, I stole the M-card from the cable companies box and stuck it in the tivo and it works fine. My question is; is there any point to having an M-card vs. a S-card. I thought a S3 couldn't handle multi-stream from 1 card. If that's the case why is it so much more expensive than the Tivo HD? Is this something they can fix with an update?
So you stole the cablecard that belongs to the cable company? You must be a great role model to your kids.