TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
HiKent

TWC Hawaii moving all HD to SDV

We got a letter-bomb from TWC Hawaii today saying all the HD entertainment channels are moving to SDV on Sept 24. All that's left (HD-wise) are network programming, HBO and Showtime. They also got rid of a couple of dozen SD channels for good measure.

While I love my series 3, I certainly would not have purchased it to get only HBO & Showtime. As for the network programming, here in hawaii most HD programming is broadcast SD -- we don't even get all the networks in HD.

SDV Fear, uncertainty and doom -- replaced with doom.
HiKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #2
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

That really sucks! What HD channels are you going to miss out on? Have you considered complaint to the FCC and your local municipality who licenses TWC to provide cable service. That's pretty much the only thing you can do. Man that really sucks.
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:55 PM   #3
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

That really sucks. Pretty much the worst case scenario.

Sounds like OTA or sell time.
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:54 AM   #4
is2scooby

This is ridiculous. I love my Series 3 Tivo, but there's no way it's worth the money I paid for it (~7 months ago) now that I have so few channels available to me.

I can't STAND the Oceanic DVR's though.

Argh.

What to do?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Someone better get hopping on that SDV Dongle! God, I really wish Google or Microsoft or Sony would just step up and buy Tivo... Preferably Google... Someone with power who could smash these cable companies into the ground.

No one would (or could) push Tivo/Google around! Tivo/Google would demand that an SDV workaround be freely available *before* any SDV content was released.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
davecramer74

ebay is your friend. Might as well ebay that thing for now and pick one up off ebay once they come out with this "dongle". comcast boxes should start getting tivo software in the coming months accross the board. That should hold you over until they get some kind of standard for 2way coms.
davecramer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiKent
We got a letter-bomb from TWC Hawaii today saying all the HD entertainment channels are moving to SDV on Sept 24. All that's left (HD-wise) are network programming, HBO and Showtime. They also got rid of a couple of dozen SD channels for good measure.

While I love my series 3, I certainly would not have purchased it to get only HBO & Showtime. As for the network programming, here in hawaii most HD programming is broadcast SD -- we don't even get all the networks in HD.

SDV Fear, uncertainty and doom -- replaced with doom.
That stinks.

Maybe you can post a detailed list of the SDV channels and numbers in the SDV FAQ thread at the top of this forum, so they can be added to the list?
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
pashasurf7873

What a Nightmare!!!!
Woke up to this same letter of death from TWC regarding all the HD channels switching to SDV on sept 24th.
I called Tivo and gave them all the info, but they seemed clueless to the problem so far.
Got my S3 and lifetime service back in December...Now what?

Anyone know of any relevant information or possible solutions?
pashasurf7873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #9
cgould

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecramer74
ebay is your friend. Might as well ebay that thing for now and pick one up off ebay once they come out with this "dongle". comcast boxes should start getting tivo software in the coming months accross the board. That should hold you over until they get some kind of standard for 2way coms.
No comcast in Hawaii, it's TWC Oceanic only.
OTA is nearly impossible also due to iron-rich mountains, cable only for much of the island(s).
Can't get much DirectTV/Dish either (esp HD) since the birds are overhead and pointing to mainland, not the islands. eg, paradise is screwed :-P

Many Hawaii local (network) stations don't even carry HD (OTA or cable) partly due to this, and complain about cost of HD tape-delay hardware, as HiKent says... so for all TWC's exorbitant HD service fee/cablecard costs, you can't even get most network channels in HD.
At least w/ the SA box, you can plug in external drives (that quickly die in the tropical heat, but..)

HiKent, can you clarify what (specific) "HD entertainment channels" are?
eg DiscoveryHD, HDNet, EPSNHD, etc?
cgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
HiKent

The HD channels we're losing are -- all of them. ESPN, Nat'l Geo, HDNET, HDNET MOvies, MoJo, (already lost ESPN2), Discovery, Unviversal HD, HD Golf/Verses, everything.

Except HBO/Showtime (maybe that was a typo) and the network channels that I've read they're not allowed to move to SDV.

Last edited by HiKent : 08-28-2007 at 01:19 PM.
HiKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #11
pashasurf7873

here's the list of hd channels Tivo will lose on sept 24th:

http://www.oceanic.com/OceanicWebApp.../DCL_Oahu.html
Old 08-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
ddubois

Copied from Time Warners mailing to our home:

46 C-SPAN3
47 C-SPAN-2
102 Jewelry Channel
117 CNBC World
118 Bloomberg TV
120 Pentagon Channel
121 The Weather Channel
130 KAOM
132 AZN TV
134 Imaginasian
212 The Outdoor Channel
241 Fuel
242 NBA TV
243 The Tennis Channel
244 Fox College Sports - Atlantic
245 Fox College Sports - Central
246 Fox College Sports - Pacific
247 College Sports TV
349 Ocean Network
410 Inspirational TV
587 Country Music TV
589 VH1 Classic
597 BET On Jazz
599 Fuse
608 Ovation
689 Galavision
690 Fox Sports World Espanol
691 CNN Espanol
690 Fox Spors World Espanol
691 CNN Espanol
692 Discovery en Espanol
693 ESPN Deportes
699 Chinese Channel
1216 HD Gold/HD Versus
1226 HD FSN
1347 HD National Geographic
1355 HD Net
1603 HD Net Movies
1561 iNDemand HD
1222 ESPN HD
1224 ESPN2 HD
1605 HD Universal
ddubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #13
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer
Someone better get hopping on that SDV Dongle!
The OP is really going to need the solution described in this thread. But who knows when it will be available.....
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #14
Sy-

http://64.128.14.168/otw/otw_sdv.pdf This link to my letter that I posted in the TWC thread...

Anyone know what I could get for my S3 on ebay:
S3 with 500 gig upgraded drive and Lifetime service?
Premiere XL

*Listed in order of acquisition as well as reliability!
Sy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #15
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer
Someone better get hopping on that SDV Dongle! God, I really wish Google or Microsoft or Sony would just step up and buy Tivo... Preferably Google... Someone with power who could smash these cable companies into the ground.

No one would (or could) push Tivo/Google around! Tivo/Google would demand that an SDV workaround be freely available *before* any SDV content was released.
Google would've probably just wired their own cable network, like they are wiring the whole city of SF for wireless. Who needs to partner with the telecom giants when you are Google.
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:07 AM   #16
pashasurf7873

Anyone gotten any information from Tivo regarding what options their customers in Hawaii have?(or anyone facing cable co switch to sdv)
Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #17
HiDefGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashasurf7873
Anyone gotten any information from Tivo regarding what options their customers in Hawaii have?(or anyone facing cable co switch to sdv)
You mean as far as letting you out of your commitment? There is no work around available today and I doubt you will have a fix in your hands this year.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:21 AM   #18
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

That really sucks.

I've added this to the SDV sticky FAQ.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:40 AM   #19
gwsat

Although Cox OKC is still representing that the HD channels they will be adding next month won’t be SDV, it’s clear to me that before long virtually all HD transmissions from cable companies everywhere will be SDV.

Long experience watching the development of “vaporware” of all kinds has led me to the dreary conclusion that we won’t see the USB dongle SDV fix for S3 And THD very soon, if ever.

In short, the rest of we S3 and THD owners are as firmly behind the 8 ball as you TWC Hawaii subscribers are.
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #20
nhaigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat
....it’s clear to me that before long virtually all HD transmissions from cable companies everywhere will be SDV...
I don't completely agree with this point of view. The SDV problem will be different in each market. The cable companies will move only the channels that are not used all the time to SDV otherwise they get no advantage. In some markets the HDTV take-up (and cablecard) will very small and the HD channels become prime candidates for SDV. In other markets HD Channels are in higher demand so other channels will be more suited to SDV. The more a channel is viewed the less likely it will be to go SDV. I expect we'll see a different sets of channels in each market, some HD and some not. I think we'll also see more markets going the Chicago route and remove analogue channels to get bandwidth back.

Another factor os FIOS. I think we'll see less SDV roll-out in the FIOS markets because it will drive people to the competition.
1 x TiVo S3 HD left
3 TiVo Premiers
Verizon FiOS - No Copy Protection :)
nhaigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #21
brianlees

Not that it will really do any good. However, you should contact your US Senators and representative and your state reps as well. Hawaii might be in a more unique situtation compared to other states. OTA broadcasts do stink (I have been there four times and can speak from experience). Since this is the case, perhaps there is some leverage that can be used, either to delay the switch over or to get the FCC off their a$$es and actually give a crap about the people they server. Oh, that's right, they do care about the people they server...or should I say companies?!
brianlees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:15 PM   #22
JoeSchueller

I wished I shared this rosy point-of-view. SDV provides some bandwidth savings to the provider (including FIOS providers) and it is entirely reasonable that they will move as much as feasible in this direction. Bandwidth is a vacuum - as soon as more is created, it is used. SDV executed right saves bandwidth, thus will be used extensively. The only good news is that it makes less sense to have popular channels on it, but smaller channels are most likely doomed.

It also makes business sense to lock you back in to their boxes. That way they can charge higher rental rates and pimp VOD and PPV at you all the time. This is likely a losing battle unless the gov't mandates otherwise.
JoeSchueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:40 PM   #23
HiDefGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhaigh
I think we'll see less SDV roll-out in the FIOS markets because it will drive people to the competition.
Wouldn't the only people that care if they get SDV or not today be the Tivo S3 owners? There are not enough of them to affect deployment of SDV. Kind of like a tiny little pimple on the ...
Old 08-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #24
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefGator
Wouldn't the only people that care if they get SDV or not today be the Tivo S3 owners? There are not enough of them to affect deployment of SDV. Kind of like a tiny little pimple on the ...
And Sony DHG users and anyone that has a CableCARD installed in their TV.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #25
sfhub

Quote:
Any one who is using a QAM tuner would care. If the channels that are moved happen to only include encrypted channels, then only people with QAM + CableCARD would care (because the moved channels wouldn't have been visible before or after the change to SDV)
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #26
HiDefGator

So across the whole country there are maybe a few hundred thousand people that would be impacted by SDV if it went nationwide tomorrow. I guess that explains why they are working so hard on alternative solutions to SDV.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:47 PM   #27
MickeS

Quote:
So across the whole country there are maybe a few hundred thousand people that would be impacted by SDV if it went nationwide tomorrow. I guess that explains why they are working so hard on alternative solutions to SDV.
But these are vocal people.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:59 AM   #28
sfhub

Quote:
Apparently a few hundred thousand people can occupy Iraq, imagine what they could do to TWC
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #29
Sy-

FWIW... I just talked to a Tivo rep to cancel service on my S1 Tivo because my $800 Lifetime S3 Tivo is going to replace my S1 when Oceanic flips the SDV switch on Sept 24 . I was told me that those channels that Oceanic are designating SDV will not go black because they are mandated by the FCC to provide, via digital cable cards, ANY channel that is available on Oceanic's digital set top box. I was unconvinced, but he insisted that that is the case. I already returned my cable cards for Oceanics crappy HD DVR. But it will be interesting to see if he is right. Those of you that still have your cablecards keep me posted.
~Sy-
Premiere XL

*Listed in order of acquisition as well as reliability!
Sy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #30
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001

Sy - I spoke to a TiVo Rep on Saturday and he told me that I would not be able to receive the Oceanic channels switching to SDV. He told me they're in the works of making a device that would connect between the cable line and a TiVo's box USB port to act as a two-way device needed to acces SDV channels. When and how much this device will be available is unknown, but, probably next year some time.
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote