TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #211
cableguy763

The cable co will use a set of frequencies that are SDV. Just an example is say freq's from 561mhz-601mhz are being used for SDV. If Showtime West is switched, it can tune to any one of those freqs to get the stream. If it is 561 in your node, across town it could be on 585. If you run across a cable service tech in your area, he could probably tell you those freqs. Or, if you know which channels are switched you can pull up the diags on your box and tune to each of those channels and note the freqs they are using.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #212
jmaditto

Sdv - Twc Sc

Ok - I think I got it figured out. I went to the diagnostics menu on my SA 8300HD and then hit the page down button on my remote and on page two at the top was a title SDV Info. For SDV channels it displayed a freq number but for non SDV channels it showed 0000. Pretty simple if my assumptions are correct. The bad news is I have SDV in Columbia, SC so no TiVoHD for me right now. Can't stand the TWC DVR interface but I can't give up HD channels. Oh well, I'm sure it won't be too long before TiVo provides a box that can get SDV.
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #213
timstack8969

Does anyone know if Comcast plans on using "SDV" in N/E Philly anytime soon??? I'm thinking about buying the new "TivoHD" this week but will it still work when comcast starts using "SDV".
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #214
jmaditto

The short answer is No, TiVo will not tune SDV channels at this time.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:38 AM   #215
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Recent engadget and ars technica reports are making me so damn nervous. I knew it was coming but I don't want to let go of my shiny shiny tivo box.
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #216
vstone

Comcast is going with Arris for SDV. The Arris equipment dependis on megabit IP streams. In an IP environment, it may be possible to parallel docsis modem upstream traffic with IP traffic. You may be interested in the following documents:

http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalo...l_Edge_QAM.pdf

http://www.arrisi.com/investor_relat...logy_Bfast.pdf
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #217
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer
I'm not sure of your point. The aborted IPO was several years ago. Time Warner divested themselves of us when our stock was up, as well. We used to be owned by them, too.
My point was the information you provided and I highlighted wasn't current information as they did eventually do the IPO of Time Warner Cable. I didn't even realize at the time you were talking about an incident from a while back as I thought you were trying to make a point about current conditions.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:59 AM   #218
lrhorer

CATV a la carte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
That really points out the no-win situation that a la carte is, especially if it is to be driven by consumers wanting it. They'll go from complaining about "having to pay for channels they don't watch" to complaining about how all the channels now cost $3-$4 each.
Well, it shouldn't be that high, but your point is valid, nonetheless. Assuming the CATV companies are not gouging the customer (I think they are in some cases, but we'll assume not for the moment), they're going to have to come up with the same amount of revenue some how, so on average the customer is going to have to wind up paying the same. Some customers, however, do only want three or four channels. I myself for the most part only want PBS and HD movie channels. I can do without the networks, sports channels, etc.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:34 AM   #219
lrhorer

A la carte and SDV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
everyone seems to assume that because the package divided by channels is like 50 cents a channel or something
I suppose some do, but most don't. A lot of customers only want a specific handful of channels. Current CATV pricing policies, however, can wind up costing a customer $100 just to get a single channel of interest. It's rare, but it can happen. Many customers, only want Spanish channels, for example, or don't want any Spanish channels, as a counter-example. I personally don't want any sports channels at all, yet two of the tiers I am required to purchase to get the programming I want are heavily laden with sports channels, as yet another example. Nonetheless, the CATV company has to make its money somehow, so prices almost certainly will go up per channel. On yet the other hand, the CATV company pays the content providers per customer, and I can guarantee you they are not going to report any customers whose a la carte lineups do not include the vendor in question, so there can be some significant savings for the CATV company whihc could hypotheticaly be passed on to the consumer. Whether they will or not is another matter.

Quote:
As you point out the reality is the "the channels they do watch" will now cost 3 or 4 or maybe even 8-10 (espn or disney perhaps) and the crap channels will cost a nickel.
What you consider "crap" and what someone else considers "crap" may be two very different things.

Quote:
all that said- I'm not sure how SDV really matters for A la carte? Once you are all digital couldn't you just do a la carte anyway even if it's using old fashioned broadcastng techniques?
Yes, but if the CATV company is going to convert to digital from analog, they may as well go with SDV, since the costs are not much greater. More importantly, an "ordinary" digital stream is broadcast to every consumer in the network, and eats up bandwidth whether anyone is paying for it or even watching it, or not. With SDV, they can offer a channel only 20 people in the entire viewing area will purchase. The 20 people represent additional revenue, and since its is SDV, they don't significantly increase the CATV company's overhead. In short, it doesn't eat up an entire channel. The decreased cost of operations for a slightly watched channels make a la carte much more profitable with SDV than without.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #220
CharlesH

Quote:
With SDV, they can offer a channel only 20 people in the entire viewing area will purchase. The 20 people represent additional revenue, and since its is SDV, they don't significantly increase the CATV company's overhead.
Since SDV works at a node granularity, I would think that it would be a real winner where there are neighborhoods where most of the residents speak a particular foreign language, and many of them would like to have programming in their language. In other neighborhoods where that language is not spoken, few if any people would want those channels.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:48 AM   #221
vstone

Quote:
Well, it shouldn't be that high, but your point is valid, nonetheless. Assuming the CATV companies are not gouging the customer (I think they are in some cases, but we'll assume not for the moment), they're going to have to come up with the same amount of revenue some how, so on average the customer is going to have to wind up paying the same. Some customers, however, do only want three or four channels. I myself for the most part only want PBS and HD movie channels. I can do without the networks, sports channels, etc.
I vote for a middle ground, where all of the expensive channels (NFL, ESPN, etc. are ala carte. This would still allow them to provide a breadth of programming without killing off minor channels.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:14 AM   #222
bicker
Gruff

I definitely like that idea. Require any channel charging more than a certain amount per subscriber to be a separable fee (both in terms of the contract between content owner and distribution service, and between distribution service and the end-customer), while still allowing the deal to offer a lower price for those channels (again, at both levels) if included in a package.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #223
moyekj

If you haven't already seen this thread it's a must read for those concerned about SDV for Tivo CableCard devices (a proposed solution to the problem is apparently in the works using a USB device):
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=363784

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #224
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
If you haven't already seen this thread it's a must read for those concerned about SDV for Tivo CableCard devices (a proposed solution to the problem is apparently in the works using a USB device):
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=363784
Here's a direct link for the relevant article.

Finally there is some sort of roadmap being paved...
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #225
skylab

Lets hope it works. Until then I will be filing a complaint with the FCC as it is a violation of Section 629 of the Communications act of 1996 for TWC to require us to use a leased set top box to receive non-interactive programming (including HD stations on sdv).
skylab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:14 AM   #226
bicker
Gruff

Good luck with that. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #227
bdraw

I was very satisfied with my cable companies reaction to my FCC complaint.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:34 PM   #228
moyekj

If you are still updating 1st page of this thread a couple more additions:
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6470803.html
Quote:
In Northern Virginia, where Cox has about 240,000 subscribers, the SDV system will go live systemwide in about 30 days, according to Kelso. Later this year, Cox plans to roll out the system in its Phoenix and Orange County, Calif., systems.
Also TWC Hawaii:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=364085

Looks like things are certainly heating up with SDV this year - we need that USB dongle solution already!

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:43 PM   #229
snowbunny

Tonight my mother couldn't tune 225 (Discovery Health) on the S3, but I could on my S2. I checked, and she was right; there was another channel, TXCN, that was also missing.

My mother (who's visiting) was haranguing me over how a TiVo box could be the difference between watching on one TV vs the other. "Can't they fix it?" she said.

I was hoping that tuning to 225 on the S2 would bring the signal to the house and that the S3 could then pick it up in the same way that PPV works, but apparently it doesn't work that way.

I'm very tired of this problem.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:08 AM   #230
cdp1276

bdraw if you can add ESPN2 HD to your Rochester, NY list on the first page. Now my question is, I've been told by others in my area that have the 8300 HD TW box that they can see in the SARA software that SDV isn't deployed here. So all these channels that TW isn't allowing me to get on my S3 are being selectively blocked to CableCard's.

Doesn't these seem like a violation? I've done the FCC form already but any other suggested routes of escalation?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:11 AM   #231
bdraw

It would be a violation to selectively block any channel from CableCARD customers. I'd bet your friend are mis-interpreting what they see in the SARA software.

What channel is ESPN2 HD?
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #232
cdp1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw
It would be a violation to selectively block any channel from CableCARD customers. I'd bet your friend are mis-interpreting what they see in the SARA software.

What channel is ESPN2 HD?
No, he didn't misread it and someone else in our area talked to the head engineer at our location and he says SDV hasn't been deployed here and wont until later this year or early 2008. The Sara software clearly shows no SDV server connection.

So given that, what do people suggest I do?

ESPN2HD - 1053
Old 08-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #233
jmaditto

Sdv

Its pretty easy to tell from the diagnostics screens what is SDV and what isn't. Just have to go one page from the default and there it is.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:48 PM   #234
ddubois

I'm in Hawaii (Oahu) with my Series3, and I'm spitting mad. I don't get it?! Aren't cable companies required by FCC/law to support cablecard devices or something? Who do I complain to? Am I supposed to fill out FCC Form 475? Because it looks like the wrong form, dealing with telephone stuff, not cable stuff.

Channels we're apparently losing:

46 C-SPAN3
47 C-SPAN-2
102 Jewelry Channel
117 CNBC World
118 Bloomberg TV
120 Pentagon Channel
121 The Weather Channel
130 KAOM
132 AZN TV
134 Imaginasian
212 The Outdoor Channel
241 Fuel
242 NBA TV
243 The Tennis Channel
244 Fox College Sports - Atlantic
245 Fox College Sports - Central
246 Fox College Sports - Pacific
247 College Sports TV
349 Ocean Network
410 Inspirational TV
587 Country Music TV
589 VH1 Classic
597 BET On Jazz
599 Fuse
608 Ovation
689 Galavision
690 Fox Sports World Espanol
691 CNN Espanol
690 Fox Spors World Espanol
691 CNN Espanol
692 Discovery en Espanol
693 ESPN Deportes
699 Chinese Channel
1216 HD Gold/HD Versus
1226 HD FSN
1347 HD National Geographic
1355 HD Net
1603 HD Net Movies
1561 iNDemand HD
1222 ESPN HD
1224 ESPN2 HD
1605 HD Universal

That's the entire "HD Entertainment Pak" lineup. I didn't spend $2500 on a widescreen TV, and $800 on a Series3, so I could have no HD content whatsoever.
ddubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #235
pashasurf7873

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddubois
I'm in Hawaii (Oahu) with my Series3, and I'm spitting mad. I don't get it?! Aren't cable companies required by FCC/law to support cablecard devices or something? Who do I complain to? Am I supposed to fill out FCC Form 475? ..... I didn't spend $2500 on a widescreen TV, and $800 on a Series3, so I could have no HD content whatsoever.
I'm so PO'd also. this is crazy! I really hope someone will figure out a solution. Has TIVO even acknowledged this issue publically yet?
pashasurf7873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #236
HiKent

I complained to the FCC earlier this month about SDV in Hawaii. I got a letter back saying they don't handle cable matters anymore, talk to the local regulator.
HiKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #237
skylab

People are also filing complaints in proceeding 97-80 (cablecard issues -- the CEA has proposed a ban on temporary ban on SDV). To view other comments and complaints go to http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/comsrch_v2.cgi and put 97-80 in the box for proceeding.

To file a comment in 97-80 put 97-80 in the proceeding box, fill in the required fields, and you can type in a brief comment at the bottom. Here is the site: https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi

The more people that fight on this the better. We need to ask for an outright ban on SDV.

We need to get the word out!
skylab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:58 AM   #238
txagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab
People are also filing complaints in proceeding 97-80 (cablecard issues -- the CEA has proposed a ban on temporary ban on SDV). To view other comments and complaints go to http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/comsrch_v2.cgi and put 97-80 in the box for proceeding.

To file a comment in 97-80 put 97-80 in the proceeding box, fill in the required fields, and you can type in a brief comment at the bottom. Here is the site: https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi

The more people that fight on this the better. We need to ask for an outright ban on SDV.

We need to get the word out!
Are you kidding me with your temporary ban stuff? Cablecard customers from cable make up about .001% of their customers. The rest of their customers want more channels, more HD, just like you. SDV makes this possible. SDV also makes it possible to compete with D* and their new offerings. So, do you make your .001% angry by implementing SDV or make the rest happy by giving them more channels. I know some will flame me for the 1996 telecom act and all but really all I want is more HD and less crying from people that didn't do their research before they bought a Tivo. I can't wait for the new dongle or whatever, but I'm not holding my breath for to come out any time soon.
txagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #239
bicker
Gruff

And in my experience, your perspective ("want more channels" rather than CableCard) is more typical. I have a TiVo S3 using CableCards. I'll be disappointed if my cable system deploys SDV and the TiVo cannot handle it, however I won't deny my personal accountability having made the decision to purchase the TiVo. No one is entitled to expect that their TiVo will work beyond the parameters that the box is built for. If a solution comes about, great, but otherwise, people should accept their own responsibility rather than cravenly looking for scapegoats for their disappointment.

I wrote this in another thread (about TiVo service pricing) yesterday, but it applies just as well, here, today: Folks should always make decisions based on what they have explicit assurances of (whether written or otherwise). If you make your decisions based on anything else -- i.e., assumptions based on your own perceptions or the best guesses of others -- then YOU are personally accountable if those assumptions turn out not to be correct.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:18 AM   #240
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txagfan
Are you kidding me with your temporary ban stuff? Cablecard customers from cable make up about .001% of their customers. The rest of their customers want more channels, more HD, just like you. SDV makes this possible. SDV also makes it possible to compete with D* and their new offerings. So, do you make your .001% angry by implementing SDV or make the rest happy by giving them more channels. I know some will flame me for the 1996 telecom act and all but really all I want is more HD and less crying from people that didn't do their research before they bought a Tivo. I can't wait for the new dongle or whatever, but I'm not holding my breath for to come out any time soon.
If that's what it takes to get the Cable Companies to get in line and follow the law, then that's what it takes.

The cable companies have had 10 YEARS to come up with something that would work. If they hadn't been dragging their feet like my 4 year old when he doesn't want to go to bed, this wouldn't be a problem.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote