TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #3301
clemon79

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemon79
Then that is prezactly what I will be doing if my bill is indeed still screwed up when it arrives (which should be in a day or two, if it's not waiting for me when I get home tonight). Thanks for the detail!
I stand before you tonight, an amazed man.

The Comcast bill was indeed waiting for me in the mail when I got home.

It's RIGHT. Digital cable, the one extra CableCard (listed as "Tivo Series 3-cable Card") and High-Speed Internet. Nothing more. Not even the truck roll to install the cards they couldn't help me install over the phone. Okay, $1.99 for "Change of Service". Which I'm fine with.

So, score one for Comcast, I guess.
clemon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:24 PM   #3302
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhargr03
I am currently trying to activate 2 CableCards with Comcast in Chicago (am on hold). As it stands now, after sending some hits to the cards, I have the two installed and activated receiving all channels except my premium HBO channels and the MLB Extra Innings package. Is there anything specific I should ask them to do? Any specific signal to send? They scheduled me for an appointment but I'd rather take care of this on the phone. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you!

See if those channels have CCI value of 0x02. If so, your cards are paired, but not validated and you won't see those channels until they are.

(Go to the Conditional access screen and see if you have a validation value. Don't remember it off the top of my head and not near Tivo to look).
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:52 AM   #3303
mhargr03

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
See if those channels have CCI value of 0x02. If so, your cards are paired, but not validated and you won't see those channels until they are.

(Go to the Conditional access screen and see if you have a validation value. Don't remember it off the top of my head and not near Tivo to look).
First, thank you! Yes, both CableCards have a CCI of 0x02. It actually appears as follows: 0x02 S

Does this 'S' mean anything special? Last night the guy on the phone said he was passing along my issue to the "CableCard department" and that I should receive a call back within 4 hours. As this was 9pm last night this never happened.

While I fully understand that this is a Comcast issue, I called TiVo customer support just to see whether they had advice on what exactly to ask for from a Comcast rep. They said Initialize and Re-pair. Is this correct?

Just a note regarding "pairing" (you can tell I am somewhat new at this) all Comcast ever asked for was each CableCard's serial number. The MMI screen shows about 4 other number strings but doesn't display the serial (which I got off the card itself). Should Comcast be entering any information into their system other than the M-card's serial number? (FYI-this is an original Series3 HD not the new TiVoHD)

Last edited by mhargr03 : 08-21-2007 at 07:00 AM.
mhargr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:19 AM   #3304
jrm01

Quote:
Just a note regarding "pairing" (you can tell I am somewhat new at this) all Comcast ever asked for was each CableCard's serial number. The MMI screen shows about 4 other number strings but doesn't display the serial (which I got off the card itself). Should Comcast be entering any information into their system other than the M-card's serial number? (FYI-this is an original Series3 HD not the new TiVoHD)
If they did not ask for the host and data values it means one of two things:
1) They do not pair the cards to the hosts. This is the case with some companies, but usually not with Comcast. However, it could be the policy in your office. If so, it should work OK (until they decide to start pairing, then all hell will break lose).

2)They made a mistake.

You should be able to check your staus on the Conditional Access screen of the cablecard menu.

If you have Motorola cards you will see a line which says "AUTH". The next field should say SUBSCRIBED. If it says NOT SBUSCRIBED or UNKNOWN they have not properly authorized the cards and you won't get premium channels.

Also, if they have paired the cards you will see HOST VALIDATION: VALID (with a number).

If you have SA cards there should be a similar field, but I forget what it is called.

They "should" be able to correct this with an authorization hit from the office.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:30 AM   #3305
mhargr03

This is what my Conditional Access Screens look like: (Comcast cable in Chicagoland, Motorola M cards)

Card1:
Unit Address: ###-#####-#####-###
Encryption: DES
Con:Yes EBCP:Yes Val:? 0x00

PMTCMD:D Prg:00022 ECM:0x0435

SvcID:0x0026E4 Svc:0 Enc:ENC
CP:Enabled CA Reply:0x71 U
Auth:CAD CCI:0x02 S Epoch:0x6A

Component PIDS in Hex:
0900 0901 0902

Card2:

PMTCMD:D Prg:000001 ECM:0x0430

SvcID:0x0022A2 Svc:0 Enc:ENC

Component PIDS in Hex:
07C0 07C1

Last edited by mhargr03 : 08-21-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #3306
jfh3

Quote:
This is what my Conditional Access Screens look like:

Card1:

PMTCMD:D Prg:00022 ECM:0x0435

SvcID:0x0026E4 Svc:0 Enc:ENC

Component PIDS in Hex:
0900 0901 0902

Card2:

PMTCMD:D Prg:000001 ECM:0x0430

SvcID:0x0022A2 Svc:0 Enc:ENC

Component PIDS in Hex:
07C0 07C1
I presume these are MCards? I haven't figured everything out yet, but you are missing a "V" after the "Val?" field, and I believe this means your cards aren't validated (which is why you can't see the 0x02 channels).

As for your question about serial #, you have to read that from the physical card. In my area, that's what Comcast uses to id a particular card. In others, they may use the unit address.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #3307
jrm01

Looks like you have SA cards, and unfortunately I've never worked with them.

Hopefully an SA "expert" will see this and be able to help.

i would guess that the AUTH code is the key, but I don't know what the SA code of "CAD" means.

I still think it should be able to corrected by an authorization hit from comcast.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:31 AM   #3308
jrm01

Did a little more checking and it appears that the authorization for the SA cards is noted on the Cablecard Pairing screen of the cablecard menu. It should say "Authorization Received" and have an EMM count of 30 to 40 and a ECM count that continually increments.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #3309
mhargr03

Thanks very much but I am using Motorola M-Cards from Comcast.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #3310
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
Looks like you have SA cards, and unfortunately I've never worked with them.

Hopefully an SA "expert" will see this and be able to help.

i would guess that the AUTH code is the key, but I don't know what the SA code of "CAD" means.

I still think it should be able to corrected by an authorization hit from comcast.
No, these look like mine - Motorola MCards.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #3311
jrm01

Oops. My bad. Never saw the screens for m-cards before. I'll move over and watch.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #3312
silypuddy

Well, I called Comcast yesterday and requested that the installer bring out an M-card vs. two S-cards for my upcoming visit this Thursday.

The CSR had no clue what I was talking about and put me on hold for 10 minutes to talk to someone. After coming back from hold, he still had no idea what I was talking about and tried to sell me on their DVR. I politely declined and asked him to note the M-card request.

Does anyone know a way to findout if Comcast has M-cards in the Minneapolis area, and if so, how to go about requesting them?

This is so frustrating...
Old 08-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #3313
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by silypuddy
Well, I called Comcast yesterday and requested that the installer bring out an M-card vs. two S-cards for my upcoming visit this Thursday.

The CSR had no clue what I was talking about and put me on hold for 10 minutes to talk to someone. After coming back from hold, he still had no idea what I was talking about and tried to sell me on their DVR. I politely declined and asked him to note the M-card request.

Does anyone know a way to findout if Comcast has M-cards in the Minneapolis area, and if so, how to go about requesting them?

This is so frustrating...
Just cross your fingers that they will show up with them, when I had comcast come out last week he had 4 cards in hand 3 M cards and one S card, although he had no idea that any of them where different
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #3314
Romera

Minneapolis Comcast - When I had my cable cards installed, I asked the tech about M-Cards (after getting the "I have no clue what you are talking about from the customer service folks") he indicated that they were using M-Cards in the cable companies new boxes - but that there were no M-Cards for install in other devices at this time. Take it for what it is worth - but I was not able to get an M card for my TivoHD in Minneapolis.

Steve
Romera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:56 PM   #3315
phipsi1237

Kent County Delaware Drama post 2

I had my appointment today between 1 and 4 for cable card installs. I could not be there, so my wife waited around the house for me. My wife called me about 4:45 and said they never showed. The CSR tried calling the driver, but no answer. She rescheduled for FRIDAY!!! I forgot to say in my first post, but this is the 2nd NO SHOW. The first time they gave me a $20 credit. I'm guessing they didn't offer this to my wife. I'm going to ask for it. They also told her that she couldn't come pick them up.
phipsi1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #3316
mhargr03

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipsi1237
I had my appointment today between 1 and 4 for cable card installs. I could not be there, so my wife waited around the house for me. My wife called me about 4:45 and said they never showed. The CSR tried calling the driver, but no answer. She rescheduled for FRIDAY!!! I forgot to say in my first post, but this is the 2nd NO SHOW. The first time they gave me a $20 credit. I'm guessing they didn't offer this to my wife. I'm going to ask for it. They also told her that she couldn't come pick them up.
No shows are unnacceptable when they give a 4 hour window and expect someone to be waiting for whenever they feel like showing up. This happened to me as I waited an entire Saturday afternoon only to call at the end of my window to find that my work order had been mysteriously cancelled. Luckily I was able to go to my local office to pick up two cards. Call Comcast's Executive Care Offices at 800-630-2140 and explain your issues. 2 no-shows and an offer of $20 is insulting. They will dispatch someone hopefully ASAP.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #3317
mhargr03

As explained above I am having an issue where both Motorola M-cards are working with all but the premium channels I subscribe to (HBOs and MLB Extra Innings).

If I call Comcast to re-pair or re-initialize the cards, do I have to be in a certain screen (CableCard configuration screen?) or can I just have them do it while I am watching Live TV?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:50 PM   #3318
wizzy
S1, (2) S2, TivoHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtech
I am in Chicago and it was $1.50 extra a month for the one Multi card in my Tivo HD.
If it was just going into my Samsung tv it would have been no charge. Thought that was weird. Why the heck do they care if the card is in a Tivo or a Tv?
I'm in Chicago as well, and no extra fee for my M-card. Didn't even tell them what I was doing with it. I already have a DVR on the account, somehow this didn't count as an additional outlet or anything!

Another tip for Chicago folks. If you're getting stuck with Comcast, and can't get anywhere, log a (legitimate) complaint with the city franchising authority. I had a non-cablecard issue, and got a call back from someone local in less than 24 hours. She claimed to have access to all the local managers.

https://servicerequest.cityofchicago...laint&locreq=N
wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #3319
wizzy
S1, (2) S2, TivoHD

Quote:
As explained above I am having an issue where both Motorola M-cards are working with all but the premium channels I subscribe to (HBOs and MLB Extra Innings).

If I call Comcast to re-pair or re-initialize the cards, do I have to be in a certain screen (CableCard configuration screen?) or can I just have them do it while I am watching Live TV?
Tell them that you need the Tinley Park office. They will probably put you in a 4-hour call-back queue, and someone will call you back. When they call, change to HBO, (you should get the cable card screen when you go there now; if not, it's a different issue) and Tivo will give you the cable card info you need to read to the Comcast person. Takes less than 5 minutes once you actually get the right person.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:01 PM   #3320
mhargr03

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzy
Tell them that you need the Tinley Park office. They will probably put you in a 4-hour call-back queue, and someone will call you back. When they call, change to HBO, (you should get the cable card screen when you go there now; if not, it's a different issue) and Tivo will give you the cable card info you need to read to the Comcast person. Takes less than 5 minutes once you actually get the right person.
Thank you. Yes, when I tune to any of the channels (HBOs or MLB package) it automatically goes right to the grey CableCard screen with all of the CableCard information.

Thanks for the tip on the Tinley Park office. I will try to get myself directed down there. For some reason I always seem to get the Woodridge office (where I was originally told, 2 weeks ago, that CableCards should be available in 1-2 years).

I was actually put in a 4-hour call-back queue last night at 9pm but of course nobody ever called back.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:36 PM   #3321
wizzy
S1, (2) S2, TivoHD

Quote:
Thank you. Yes, when I tune to any of the channels (HBOs or MLB package) it automatically goes right to the grey CableCard screen with all of the CableCard information.

Thanks for the tip on the Tinley Park office. I will try to get myself directed down there. For some reason I always seem to get the Woodridge office (where I was originally told, 2 weeks ago, that CableCards should be available in 1-2 years).

I was actually put in a 4-hour call-back queue last night at 9pm but of course nobody ever called back.
I got my 4 hour call-back after 9 hours. Guy said it was a Monday, and he was also a dispatcher, so was swamped. If you get a tech that says the call-back queue doesn't exist, hang up, and get someone else (I had one tech tell me that was just so I'd go away and give it time to start working).

The Tinley Park piece came from another user on here, but you definitely need to speak to someone other than the front line techs. They can't/won't enter the pairing info.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #3322
Jedi4141

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemon79
I stand before you tonight, an amazed man.

The Comcast bill was indeed waiting for me in the mail when I got home.

It's RIGHT. Digital cable, the one extra CableCard (listed as "Tivo Series 3-cable Card") and High-Speed Internet. Nothing more. Not even the truck roll to install the cards they couldn't help me install over the phone. Okay, $1.99 for "Change of Service". Which I'm fine with.

So, score one for Comcast, I guess.
Just curious as to where you are located? In Chicago suburbs I got nailed for $23.99 install fee for EACH CableCard. But I was told no additional fees for either card. So far still holding true for the most part. I continue to get billed the $5.99 digital outlet fee but has been credited both times as their mistake. (They ask if I have a box and say no, then get credit). Both cards continue to work with little trouble ( I lost NFL network for some reason).
Jedi4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:27 PM   #3323
mhargr03

Well everything now seems to be resolved. I called again as soon as I got home around 715 and asked to be entered into the 4 hour queue. Around 9:00 someone called me back. This was the most knowledge, helpful and friendly person I have ever spoken to at Comcast, and said he was with the CableCard helpdesk in Tinley Park. He said that he and some others with special CableCard knowledge look through the escalated tickets for CableCard issues and deal with those themselves. So if you are having trouble getting a resolution, ask to be placed in the 4 hour queue and make sure the representative notes on your ticket that you are having CableCard issues.

He simply asked me for the Data and Host ID numbers from the gray pairing screen for each card, entered them into his computer, and within seconds all of my premium/subscription channels appeared. Now I have to learn how to use my new TiVo!

Thanks to everyone who helped with the various tips and suggestions.

Last edited by mhargr03 : 08-22-2007 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #3324
Noonystock

Arrow Comcast M-cards in Philadelphia Suburbs?

Hi all...I have a new TiVoHD and I'm located in the Philadelphia suburbs.

Comcast of Chester County, PA says they've never heard of an M-card (I've spoken to a total of 4 reps/installers so far). I now have a Comcast "supervisor" researching what an M-card is, and whether they can get one for me.

I've seen at least one other posting from the Philly suburbs that references "Comcast", "M-card" and "successful installation" all in the same posting.

So, to anyone in Chester County, PA who has received an M-card from Comcast -- how did you do it?

Thanks!
Noonystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #3325
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonystock

Comcast of Chester County, PA says they've never heard of an M-card (I've spoken to a total of 4 reps/installers so far). I now have a Comcast "supervisor" researching what an M-card is, and whether they can get one for me.

I've seen at least one other posting from the Philly suburbs that references "Comcast", "M-card" and "successful installation" all in the same posting.

So, to anyone in Chester County, PA who has received an M-card from Comcast -- how did you do it?

Thanks!
If your system uses Motorola equipment, there's a good chance M-cards are available. If your system uses Scientific Atlanta equipment, there's a good chance there's no M-cards available yet.

Scientific Atlanta has been making multistream cards for awhile; not sure why Comcast has been so slow in deploying them but has been deploying the Motorola versions.

Ultimately the tech who comes to do the install is the one responsible for picking out the specific cards for you from whatever he or she finds in the warehouse. So when your tech arrives you should ask about M-cards. The CSR's generally aren't going to be knowledgeable about the differences nor would they be able to do anything but add a note to the appointment that the tech would need to actually read when picking out the equipment they need for the day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #3326
blips

My dad had Comcast installed today. He moved into a new house and decided to go with Comcast HD instead of DirecTv. I convinced my dad to get a Tivo HD (I'm still worried about SDV) and not wait for Comcast's Tivo to come out. I was able to set up everything for him Tivo wise and wiring wise, but I could not be there for the Comcast install. So I left him with the Tivo install instructions on how to install cable cards and specific instruction on what to tell the installer and what excuses not to accept. My dad wanted 1 tv hooked up, his Tivo HD. I'm going to hook up the other ones without any digital boxes to see how that goes. The installer, at the beginning, tells him that they have all sorts of problems with Tivo. But my dad gave the installer the Tivo instruction sheet and he followed it to a 'T' and it worked on the first attempt. I told my dad to have the installer keep the instruction sheet. At first the installer did not want to take it but then my dad said if he runs into any more Tivo's it might help. So the installer took it (making it easier for some Tivo user down the road). Hopefully, everything will be OK from here on out. So far it is a successful install.
blips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #3327
Noonystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
If your system uses Motorola equipment, there's a good chance M-cards are available. If your system uses Scientific Atlanta equipment, there's a good chance there's no M-cards available yet.

Scientific Atlanta has been making multistream cards for awhile; not sure why Comcast has been so slow in deploying them but has been deploying the Motorola versions.

Ultimately the tech who comes to do the install is the one responsible for picking out the specific cards for you from whatever he or she finds in the warehouse. So when your tech arrives you should ask about M-cards. The CSR's generally aren't going to be knowledgeable about the differences nor would they be able to do anything but add a note to the appointment that the tech would need to actually read when picking out the equipment they need for the day.
Thanks for your reply. It's good to know that Motorola M-cards may well be available. I will keep pushing for one.

To elaborate a bit...The tech came to my house yesterday with a single Motorola card, which, once inserted in slot 1, revealed itself on the TiVo cable card settings screen to be an S-card. This occurred even though I had asked the CSR to add "must bring an M-card for installation" to my work order. Although this sentence was clearly visible on the tech's paperwork, he told me he had assumed that it was a mistake, since "there's really only one kind of cable card, anyway". Then he told me that he just installs what he's given by his manager (e.g. apparently the tech doesn't pull the equipment from the warehouse, his manager does). At my insistance, the tech called his manager who had no clue about M-cards -- I asked to speak directly to said manager, but the tech refused, citing company policy (that's telling, isn't it?) Hence, my call later yesterday afternoon to the aformentioned "supervisor" who has not yet gotten back to me...sigh. Note: I even supplied the supervisor with the Motorola M-card part number (courtesy of another posting to this forum), and offered to point her to the M-card product fact sheet on the Motorola web site...

I am appalled (though not surprised) by Comcast's ineptitude and disregard for their customers.

Watching TV shouldn't be this difficult.
Noonystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #3328
blhirsch
Tivo-riffic!

Just had a Comcast install this morning in the Philadelphia area. Guy came with multicards (Motorola) and they installed with no problem.
blhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #3329
blhirsch
Tivo-riffic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonystock

Thanks!
My install came out of Willow Grove (for a Villanova install), but I'm in the Philadelphia area.

The person on the phone when I called up to order the cards hadn't heard of them, either. I just had her put the following words in the notes (please bring multi-stream cards or m-cards if available) and make it prominent. It got to the people that mattered and the guy came out with them for the install.
blhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #3330
hummingbird_206

I'm in Seattle, WA and just got my series 3 today. I installed one M-card from comcast and after 2 calls they finally got it activated. But I can only watch/record 1 channel at a time. Supposedly the one m-card will give the dual tuner capability, but mine doesn't seem to work that way. Anyone else got one m-card in the series 3 and able to record while viewing another channel?
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote