TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2007, 12:07 AM   #3271
Julio Blassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by orourkj

...but now we don't get most channels. It seems pretty random which ones we get - we get some HD, some standard......
Any ideas? Any help is appreciated!

Jesse in NH
Sounds similar to problem I had. Have you called Comcast and asked them to activate your cards again? That worked for me.

Good luck.

Last edited by Julio Blassie : 08-19-2007 at 12:35 AM.
Julio Blassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #3272
silypuddy

Well, I got my tivo HD over the weekend and have setup an install for this Thursday.

They quoted me a price of around $28 for the install, $15 for the first card and $13 for the second. The monthly fee for the second card will be $1.50 which is what I expected. The first one is included in the outlet.

I asked for an M card, but the lady on the phone said they only had "one" kind of card. I also asked for the installer to bring out multiple cards, but she said they could only bring out however many the customer wanted. I then politely told her that I was trying to save the installer and my time by preventing multiple visits, and she said she would note the request to bring out multiple cards on the request.

Anyone in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Comcast area have any M-cards or just S-cards?

Also, is there any last minute advice I should know about?

Thanks
silypuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #3273
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by silypuddy

Also, is there any last minute advice I should know about?

Thanks
This being Sunday I would be remiss by not reminding you that prayer never hurts.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:53 PM   #3274
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
This being Sunday I would be remiss by not reminding you that prayer never hurts.
Much as no one can prove prayer helps, no one can prove prayer doesn't hurt. And you must remember that this is Comcast we're talking about... a company many have compared doing business with to dancing with the devil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #3275
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
Much as no one can prove prayer helps, no one can prove prayer doesn't hurt. And you must remember that this is Comcast we're talking about... a company many have compared doing business with to dancing with the devil.
Amen brother!
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #3276
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnacl
I'm about ready to leap into the fray again - put a TiVo HD in my Amazon shopping cart (but haven't pulled the pin yet) and phoned the Comcast 800 number for a price. Got a CSR and said I'd like to add a TiVo HD to my service and I'd like to use the "M" card. How much will the monthly charge be?
Waited to silence a few minutes and then heard "If you'd like to make a call..."
Not a good start.

Well, I called again, got a pleasant sounding person who seemed completely unaware of what a TiVo or a cable card was, much less an M series, but, in a somewhat confused manner, she gave me a price of $12.45/month. This was to add the unit to my already existing account which has digital service with a SA8300HD STB. There was also a $17.90 install fee and it required a truck roll. (I will return the STB but I didn't want to confuse the price quote any more than necessary)
I have no idea how the charge breaks down or if she figured adding a cable card, adding 2 cable cards or adding an "M" card to my existing service. Anyway, it's less than what I was being charged for my Series 3 with 2 CCs ($17.90/month plus a $25 truck roll charge - and it was the ONLY outlet at the time - I returned it a month ago and took the 8300). Maybe a trip to the local office on Monday is in order, although having a toenail ripped out is less painful. I hold out hope that all the activity since the TiVo HD introduction a few weeks ago might have generated some experience at the local level.
Pricing seems WAY off ... if the TivoHD is going to be your primary box, the first cable cards (MCard or SCard) rental is included in the digital programming package.
If you need a second SCard, then it's $1.50 per month. (Make sure they have the "Tivo Series 3 package" on your account).
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #3277
DVDerek
<WittySaying />

What's the Mac equivalent of "Run As"? I'd like to view the system.log file in console, but my regular user does not have rights.
DVDerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #3278
kido

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDerek
What's the Mac equivalent of "Run As"? I'd like to view the system.log file in console, but my regular user does not have rights.
you might try sudo in Terminal.app

user% sudo tail -100 /var/log/system.log

if that works you can try

user% sudo /Applications/Utilities/Console.app/Contents/MacOS/Console
kido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #3279
orourkj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Blassie
Sounds similar to problem I had. Have you called Comcast and asked them to activate your cards again? That worked for me.

Good luck.
In the past 2 days I have had 3 visits from Comcast techs. Everything seemed OK after the first visit. But then the Tivo's power cord came out, and since I plugged it back in it has not worked right. I have done at least a dozen restarts, a dozen times through the "guided" setup, a few online chats with Comcast who send signals to the cards, and the 2 tech visits. But never does everything work. Every time we do something we get a new set of channels that don't come in. In addition to random channels that don't come in, sometimes I can't record one program while watching another.

This is maddening - they left the last visit saying their engineers would look into it. With multiple visits from Comcast behind me I'm starting to think this HD Tivo isn't going to last long with us.....

Any ideas from anyone?
orourkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #3280
orourkj

Quote:
In the past 2 days I have had 3 visits from Comcast techs. Everything seemed OK after the first visit. But then the Tivo's power cord came out, and since I plugged it back in it has not worked right. I have done at least a dozen restarts, a dozen times through the "guided" setup, a few online chats with Comcast who send signals to the cards, and the 2 tech visits. But never does everything work. Every time we do something we get a new set of channels that don't come in. In addition to random channels that don't come in, sometimes I can't record one program while watching another.

This is maddening - they left the last visit saying their engineers would look into it. With multiple visits from Comcast behind me I'm starting to think this HD Tivo isn't going to last long with us.....

Any ideas from anyone?
I know I'm replying to my own message - I called Tivo and they walked me through some screens - according to them one of the cable cards was not authorized. Why did I have 3 visits from Comcast and several online chats with Comcast support and they never asked, checked or thought about this? They scheduled another visist for 4 days form now when they could have a new card available. Be careful of this!?!?!?!?!
orourkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #3281
phipsi1237

Kent County Delaware Drama

I'll try to keep this short. I moved into a new development. I had a Comcast post in my yard. The house 2 lots over and the house diagonal to mine was in Comcast's system as having service. Comcast felt they needed to do a site survey before sending out installers. They said that would take from 7 to 10 business days just for the survey. What? Anyway, after several phone calls, they realized a site survey wasn't necessary and the installers would be out the next day. This was back in June.

I had been quoted package deal of about $70 for digital cable w/HD and DVR and internet. Awesome. Installer shows up and said he didn't have a HD/DVR box just HD. I need to schedule them to come out and bring me a box or go by the office to pick one up. I called the 800 number to see if they had any at the office. They said they should have plenty of them. He gave me the local office number anyway. I called the entire way to the office. No one answered. I get there and guess what? No HD/DVR box.

I called the 800 number back and spoke with someone in the Ocean City, MD, office. She explained this was unacceptable and would send someone out with my HD/DVR box. When they showed up, no box.

This whole time, since I didn't have the HD/DVR box, they're not giving me the $70 special. Instead, $70 for cable and $30 for internet.

I picked up a TivoHD this weekend. I just scheduled an install for Tuesday from 1 to 4. Questions asked from previous posters, "Do you need an HD CC?" I told him there was no difference. He needed to know how to code it. He also told me there was an installation charge. I said, "You're still going to charge me even though I was supposed to have a DVR box 2 months ago." His reply, "There's an installation charge for everything." I decided I would work that out later.

I haven't read any other posts here from Delaware so I'll post my experiences with the TivoHD install in a few days.
phipsi1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:42 PM   #3282
jfh3

Quote:
I know I'm replying to my own message - I called Tivo and they walked me through some screens - according to them one of the cable cards was not authorized. Why did I have 3 visits from Comcast and several online chats with Comcast support and they never asked, checked or thought about this? They scheduled another visist for 4 days form now when they could have a new card available. Be careful of this!?!?!?!?!
Because many installers and CSRs know very little about CableCARDs.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:09 AM   #3283
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipsi1237
"Do you need an HD CC?" I told him there was no difference. He needed to know how to code it.
Not true - there is a difference:

There is NO SUCH THING as an HD CableCARD. A CableCARD is a decryption device and does nothing to determine what channels you should get or whether they are SD or HD. The "HD CableCARD" line is just nothing more than an excuse to charge you for some bogus service tier.

If they really want to push the issue, tell them no, you don't need an HD CableCARD, just a regular one. and it will probably end up being cheaper too.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:27 AM   #3284
clemon79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Blassie
Place: Seattle
Box: TiVo HD
Card: Motorola M
Install: Self

Went to the Comcast store on North 94th Street just east of Aurora.
That's REALLY interesting, since they gave me two (dud) S-cards when I went in there eight days ago, and when I returned them (to the Redmond store, which is just around the corner from my office, I inquired about the M's, and the lady said that they did not and would not have them for the foreseeable future. An M-card would have completely solved all of my billing woes.

Anyhow, I'm glad you had a better installation experience than I did, and advising everyone to check their bill with a fine-toothed comb is REALLY good advice. If M's are starting to surface in Seattle, and my bill is as I expect it to be, maybe I'll wait a couple of months and see about swapping out, because every red cent I can avoid paying those shysters at Comcast is worthwhile to me...
clemon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:30 AM   #3285
clemon79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrenner
When, if ever, will it be safe to just order the service and expect accurate pricing and a trouble-free installation?
This is Comcast. The answer to that question is "never."
Quote:
Or will I be better off to wait for the Comcast Tivo software for my existing Motorola DVRs? I am in the Boston area.
a) I've heard that even with the Tivo software, the DVR is still crap hardware and therefore the user experience is as crappy as ever, and

b) nobody, including Comcast themselves, seems to have a single clue as to when it will be available anywhere, and this has been the case for a year and a half.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #3286
fishboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemon79
This is Comcast. The answer to that question is "never."

a) I've heard that even with the Tivo software, the DVR is still crap hardware and therefore the user experience is as crappy as ever, and

b) nobody, including Comcast themselves, seems to have a single clue as to when it will be available anywhere, and this has been the case for a year and a half.
I was anxiously awaiting this release on Comcast hardware myself, but when the TivoHD came out, realized that the Comcast version will not have many of the features of the standalone version (e.g. online scheduling and eventually TTG, MRV, etc.). Also, I could never get a straight answer as to when it would be available in my area (Atlanta). I also figured if/when Comcast actually comes out with the box, I could try it out for a short time and eventually sell the TivoHD unit I have if I liked it that much more. But that's just me.
fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #3287
McCarron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE
I thought I should bump this for the people who are getting an additional outlet fee:

Here's how much you SHOULD be billed:
N = number of "boxes" you have (cable box or Tivo)
C = number of Cablecards you have (usually 2 per Tivo)

What you should be paying is:

(N - 1) * additional outlet charge
plus
(C - 1) * dual-cablecard charge

(additional outlet charge is about $8, dual-cablecard charge is about $1.50)

So if you have one dual-cablecard Tivo and no cable box, you should pay $1.50. If you have a cable box AND a dual-cablecard Tivo, you should pay about $9.50.

If you're paying more than this and can't get it straightened out with the regular Comcast CSRs, call the contact in my quoted post above.
Thanks for bumping that. I am dealing with that issue right now, and just had one hell of a time with the rep I was talking to. She kept claiming that the federally regulated rate for Illinois was $6/card, but only used those terms AFTER I told her to goto this page. This is after I was told there was no monthly fee for my TWO cards with a Tivo Series 3. Can't someone at Comcast educate their CSRs on this issue finally?
McCarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:34 AM   #3288
xander2007

Chicago experience update:

I had gotten 2 M Cards for free after visiting the North ave office. I ended up returning 1 M Card as everything is working swimmingly.

Just got my first monthly bill, and I see I have a one time charge of $15.99 for Cable Card Install! It said 0.00 on my receipt when I picked up the cards.

Oh well, it appears I have no monthly fee (though I know I should not) so I don't think I will fight this one.

As for the macroblocking, I still see it very infrequency and very briefly when it does happen. Not a problem IMO. I am a happy Tivo HD user!
xander2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #3289
clemon79

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander2007
Just got my first monthly bill, and I see I have a one time charge of $15.99 for Cable Card Install!
Yeah, that's wrong.
Quote:
Oh well, it appears I have no monthly fee (though I know I should not) so I don't think I will fight this one.
And sadly, this is why Comcast keeps pulling this crap. Because there are people who let them get away with it.

I understand if your blood pressure is worth $16 one time, but man, this stuff isn't gonna change until people stand up and tell them they won't put up with it.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:14 PM   #3290
McCarron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarron
Thanks for bumping that. I am dealing with that issue right now, and just had one hell of a time with the rep I was talking to. She kept claiming that the federally regulated rate for Illinois was $6/card, but only used those terms AFTER I told her to goto this page. This is after I was told there was no monthly fee for my TWO cards with a Tivo Series 3. Can't someone at Comcast educate their CSRs on this issue finally?
I got a call back 20 minutes later from Comcast, and the rep said she knew what to do now and I was right the whole time. I still left with a sour taste in my mouth.
McCarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #3291
oldnacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Pricing seems WAY off ... if the TivoHD is going to be your primary box, the first cable cards (MCard or SCard) rental is included in the digital programming package.
If you need a second SCard, then it's $1.50 per month. (Make sure they have the "Tivo Series 3 package" on your account).
Do you feel the pricing was "way off" considering the TiVo was to be an additional outlet. As I mentioned in my earlier post, in order to reduce confusion at the CSR level, I asked for a price adding the Tivo to my existing account that includes the SA8300HD DVR. I hoped to stop at the local office today and get a more firm price, but alas, work reared its ugly head and I didn't get time to stop.
oldnacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #3292
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnacl
Do you feel the pricing was "way off" considering the TiVo was to be an additional outlet. As I mentioned in my earlier post, in order to reduce confusion at the CSR level, I asked for a price adding the Tivo to my existing account that includes the SA8300HD DVR. I hoped to stop at the local office today and get a more firm price, but alas, work reared its ugly head and I didn't get time to stop.
Around here, an additional digital outlet is $6.95, which should include one CableCARD.

I wouldn't even ask about "additional outlet", just ask for the CableCARDs, indicate they are for a Tivo and get the "S3 Tivo Package" line item added to your account.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #3293
robtech
Tivohead

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Around here, an additional digital outlet is $6.95, which should include one CableCARD.

I wouldn't even ask about "additional outlet", just ask for the CableCARDs, indicate they are for a Tivo and get the "S3 Tivo Package" line item added to your account.
I am in Chicago and it was $1.50 extra a month for the one Multi card in my Tivo HD.
If it was just going into my Samsung tv it would have been no charge. Thought that was weird. Why the heck do they care if the card is in a Tivo or a Tv?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #3294
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtech
I am in Chicago and it was $1.50 extra a month for the one Multi card in my Tivo HD.
If it was just going into my Samsung tv it would have been no charge. Thought that was weird. Why the heck do they care if the card is in a Tivo or a Tv?
They've apparently got it wrong. The additional outlet fee you're paying, either explicitly or by virtue of the first outlet being part of your digital programming package, includes the first CableCARD for free. The $1.50 charge would be for the second CableCARD in the same device, if needed, which you don't since your first is an M-card. I'm sure what's confusing them is that the billing line item is "TiVo Series 3 CableCARD" or similar, and someone thinks that means even the first card is a $1.50 charge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:50 PM   #3295
robtech
Tivohead

Quote:
They've apparently got it wrong. The additional outlet fee you're paying, either explicitly or by virtue of the first outlet being part of your digital programming package, includes the first CableCARD for free. The $1.50 charge would be for the second CableCARD in the same device, if needed, which you don't since your first is an M-card. I'm sure what's confusing them is that the billing line item is "TiVo Series 3 CableCARD" or similar, and someone thinks that means even the first card is a $1.50 charge.
I hear ya....and I explained it was only one card and she said it's still $1.50
Old 08-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #3296
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtech
I hear ya....and I explained it was only one card and she said it's still $1.50
The simplest thing for you to do is put it all in writing and mail it to the Office of the President at Comcast's corporate offices in Philadelphia. They'll get it resolved; no need for you to waste any time or patience trying to do it by phone.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:58 PM   #3297
clemon79

Quote:
The simplest thing for you to do is put it all in writing and mail it to the Office of the President at Comcast's corporate offices in Philadelphia. They'll get it resolved; no need for you to waste any time or patience trying to do it by phone.
Question, Doug: have you actually witnessed the President's office actually take action on one of these things? I'm not calling BS on you or anything, I'm just really curious to know if they actually do respond, if they do so in a timely fashion, etc. Still haven't gotten my cable bill for this nightmare, but if it's screwed up (and I'm not at all sure it won't be) then that may be the next step.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #3298
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemon79
Question, Doug: have you actually witnessed the President's office actually take action on one of these things? I'm not calling BS on you or anything, I'm just really curious to know if they actually do respond, if they do so in a timely fashion, etc. Still haven't gotten my cable bill for this nightmare, but if it's screwed up (and I'm not at all sure it won't be) then that may be the next step.
Yes. I went through it myself for numerous problems including billing as much as anything else. And out of it I also got a contact to help with other things that may come up in the future.

Within about a week of my mailing off a letter detailing what I'd gone through and what still wasn't right I got a call from the person to whom my letter had been sent to resolve the problems and one by one he took care of them rather quickly.

I also believe this method of resolving the issue has the best chance of getting someone in control of things to note and resolve the potential widespread problems rather than just being persistent calling through normal channels and eventually getting a CSR with a clue who fixes it for you but leaves the problem in place for others to endure.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #3299
clemon79

Quote:
Within about a week of my mailing off a letter detailing what I'd gone through and what still wasn't right I got a call from the person to whom my letter had been sent to resolve the problems and one by one he took care of them rather quickly.
Then that is prezactly what I will be doing if my bill is indeed still screwed up when it arrives (which should be in a day or two, if it's not waiting for me when I get home tonight). Thanks for the detail!
Old 08-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #3300
mhargr03

I am currently trying to activate 2 CableCards with Comcast in Chicago (am on hold). As it stands now, after sending some hits to the cards, I have the two installed and activated receiving all channels except my premium HBO channels and the MLB Extra Innings package. Is there anything specific I should ask them to do? Any specific signal to send? They scheduled me for an appointment but I'd rather take care of this on the phone. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you!
mhargr03 is offline   Reply With Quote