TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
raober

Any Suddenlink CableCard stories?

My S3 arrived! Yay! Unfortunately, I don't have time to play with it tonight...Sunday will be the earliest I can really tinker.

Anyway, I ended up cancelling the card install I had with Suddenlink today. Funny thing is, they still thought I had an install, and gave me a courtesy call last night. No big deal.

But, today, my wife took a call from them when I was working. A tech called because he thought I still had an appointment. He called to cancel it himself actually, saying that they had no CableCards. My wife mentioned that I had rescheduled for two weeks from Friday. He said that "hopefully" they will have cards by then.

What a crock. And I thought this would go smoothly since the woman who took my original call seemed to "get it." I can already see that this could be a problem.

Anyone else have any Suddenlink experiences to share?
raober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
turnpike17

Im in stillwater, OK and i have suddenlink and the people at the main office first told me their Cablecards dont work with DVR's so i called in and said it was for two TV's. The installer should be here on monday. I cant wait!
turnpike17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
RichCoder

Will they let you have 2 cable cards? I asked one installer and he told me there was a limit of one per household.

-rich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Admin
RichCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
Jaysv

Anyone have an update on Suddenlink installs? I'm looking to make the HD jump around the first of the year and would like hear of other Suddenlink customer experiences.

Thanks
Jaysv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
mwarner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysv
Anyone have an update on Suddenlink installs? I'm looking to make the HD jump around the first of the year and would like hear of other Suddenlink customer experiences.

Thanks

I have had my TiVo Series 3 with Suddenlink for a little while now. We were in an old Cox area.

No major issues with the card install. The tech they sent out hadn't done much with cable cards, let alone a TiVo, so I had to help him thru it using the TiVo's cablecard guide. After we were done, the tech claimed that the premium channels wouldn't be authorized for at least 12-24 hours. So, I had analog cable working fine and some digital channels working, but no HBO, Showtime, etc.

About 4 hours after he left, all my channels went out. Called Suddenlink and the nice girl on the phone rehit all my cards. Since then, no issues (except one channel with no audio).

Hope that helps!

-Matt
mwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:45 AM   #6
gpgrubb

My local Suddenlink (formerly Cox) office in Tyler, TX gave me the "deer in the headlights" blank look when I asked for a CableCARD. So, I e-mailed the corporate folks thru the website and got this response
" Dear Valued Suddenlink Customer:

Thank you for your inquiry. Suddenlink is committed to providing the best customer service possible.

I apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused but we do not provide CableCARDs for TiVo.The only CableCARDs we provide are for Digital Ready TV's.

We hope that we have been able to provide you with the information you requested. If we have not, or if we can be of any additional service to you, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Did you know that you can speak with a live agent without picking up the phone? It's Easy! Simply Click on the link below and let us assist you with your general or account specific questions. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your convenience.

Thank you for using Suddenlink Communications, Life Connected

Suddenlink Communications Online Customer Care Team

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

Yes, I am requesting Suddenlink to provide me with a CableCard and install it into my Tivo DVR. I also am renting your digital cable boxes for use on my other TV sets.

Thanks, "
Now what?
gpgrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:00 AM   #7
mwarner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpgrubb
Now what?
Just call them up and ask for two cable cards for your digital TV. When they show up, help them install the cards in the TiVo and you'll be fine (follow the instructions from TiVo).

-Matt
mwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
cbordman
PP-ASEL

Suddenlink in Point Pleasant, WV showed up with 2 cards to install, but when he called to activate them, the lady on the phone said she didn't know how to put them into the billing system.

They're supposed to try again in a few weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

with
cbordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #9
couperine

It's interesting that supposedly Suddenlink is the 9th largest cable provider in the US, but there are so few stories here about customers' experiences with CableCard installation. I'll share our experience in Kingwood, TX (suburb of Houston).

We scheduled a 2 CableCard installation in a TiVo with no problems at all. The installer had never put a CC into a TiVo, and when he left, we assumed all was well because I could get the HD channels in the subscription package. The tech didn't want to read the TiVo literature at all; after I started checking all the channels, I didn't have the analog or digital stations. Some can see where I'm heading...

Called the national number - they had no clue what we about CC's, but we scheduled a service call for the next day. Thankfully this tech had put cards in a few TiVo's in the area, and he realized that my problem was actually the video input setting. We had it set for native and needed to use 1080i hybrid so that we could receive all the types of input.

Suddenlink uses Motorola cards, and there is certainly a wealth of technical support on the web for it. My experience is that their national CS staff is fairly useless in this endeavor (I got the old, let me give your number to my supervisor and let them call you trick, and then a better, I just don't know, let's send a tech), and in talking to the second technician, there isn't that much experience locally with installing CC's in TiVos. However, we had no issues with asking for 2 Cards or with the fee charged for them.

I don't think we were charged a service call fee either, but I'll have to check our newly padded cable bill to be sure. We tried to stick it out with the Suddenlink DVR, but it was a perfectly hideous interface. I'm glad that we have our TiVo up and running - the weeks without TiVo were a rude awakening after 3 years of TiVo service.
couperine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
raober

Heh, I started this thread a while back...might as well provide an update.

I live along I-64 between Charleston and Huntington, WV. The original install went OK, it did take about 90 minutest to get both CCs working. The lady at the office talking to the tech on speakerphone said repeatedly how much she hated CCs.

About a month ago, I started losing some of the HD channels. Had to get another truck roll, but at least it was free. They hit the cards several times and got all the channels working again. It's been near flawless since...even the audio/video breakups I had been having went away. I think they cleaned up their signal a bit recently.

This office uses SA cards, btw.
raober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #11
rhenson

More SuddenLink questions

I've got tivo 2 and am thinking of finally switching to cable (from dish network) and moving to a tivo 3. I'm being told from SL that you can only get HD with their DVR box. I plan on attempthing to get cable cards and bypassing the whole SL DVR nightmare, but have a question. Can I use the SL DVR for HD DVR and retain my tivo 2 for all other channels? If not, is Tivo offering any sort of guarantee that if I purchase a tivo 3 (that is supposed to work with all cable providers) and it doesn't that they will refund the purchase?
Thanks for any guidance.
rhenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:15 AM   #12
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpgrubb
My local Suddenlink (formerly Cox) office in Tyler, TX gave me the "deer in the headlights" blank look when I asked for a CableCARD. So, I e-mailed the corporate folks thru the website and got this response
" Dear Valued Suddenlink Customer:

Thank you for your inquiry. Suddenlink is committed to providing the best customer service possible.

I apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused but we do not provide CableCARDs for TiVo.The only CableCARDs we provide are for Digital Ready TV's.

We hope that we have been able to provide you with the information you requested. If we have not, or if we can be of any additional service to you, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Did you know that you can speak with a live agent without picking up the phone? It's Easy! Simply Click on the link below and let us assist you with your general or account specific questions. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your convenience.

Thank you for using Suddenlink Communications, Life Connected

Suddenlink Communications Online Customer Care Team

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

Yes, I am requesting Suddenlink to provide me with a CableCard and install it into my Tivo DVR. I also am renting your digital cable boxes for use on my other TV sets.

Thanks, "
Now what?

Write back and tell them:

1) That you are sorry and were mistaken - you want the cards installed in a digital ready TV. (There is nothing in the head end system that identifies the type of host a CableCARD is installed in).

2) You are sorry to hear that they are in violation of FCC and CableLabs requirements. Ask them to provide a contact for their legal department for you to forward to the FCC for further assistance.

3) Show them the model number of the Tivo on the CableLabs approved device list.

#1 is probably the easiest. Get them working, then fight any duplicate outlet charges after the fact (if you are using SCards). Ideally, you will get a single multistream (MStream) card and there won't be any issue.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:20 AM   #13
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenson
Can I use the SL DVR for HD DVR and retain my tivo 2 for all other channels?
Sure.

Quote:
is Tivo offering any sort of guarantee that if I purchase a tivo 3 (that is supposed to work with all cable providers) and it doesn't that they will refund the purchase?
Yes, Tivo has a 30 day money back return. If the cable company has/supports cablecards (and all but the smallest must), then they will work in either of the Tivo series 3 boxes.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #14
sljack63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Write back and tell them:

1) That you are sorry and were mistaken - you want the cards installed in a digital ready TV. (There is nothing in the head end system that identifies the type of host a CableCARD is installed in).

2) You are sorry to hear that they are in violation of FCC and CableLabs requirements. Ask them to provide a contact for their legal department for you to forward to the FCC for further assistance.

3) Show them the model number of the Tivo on the CableLabs approved device list.

#1 is probably the easiest. Get them working, then fight any duplicate outlet charges after the fact (if you are using SCards). Ideally, you will get a single multistream (MStream) card and there won't be any issue.
I called Suddenlink to ask what the fee would be to rent CableCards. Here is what I understood them to tell me:

1. They will not support cablecards installed in a Tivo because it is a competing services;
2. They will not install a cablecard into a Tivo, but only into a tv;
3. They will not release cablecards for a self-install by the consumer.

Some of the posters on here have suggested I lie when I call to set up a cablecard install and tell them it is for my tv and then when the tech gets there, making them install it into the Tivo. I highly doubt this will work. Especially in light of the fact that the phone support guy was very quick to inform me that they will not install a card into a Tivo - sounds to me that since the release of the new tivo HD, the company has instituted a comprehensive policy which prohibits rental of cablecards to tivo subscribers.

So, tell me: How many Suddenlink subscribers are out there that are like me and cannot buy a HD Tivo because of the monopoly the cable company has imposed?
sljack63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #15
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by sljack63
I called Suddenlink to ask what the fee would be to rent CableCards. Here is what I understood them to tell me:

1. They will not support cablecards installed in a Tivo because it is a competing services;

Some of the posters on here have suggested I lie when I call to set up a cablecard install and tell them it is for my tv and then when the tech gets there, making them install it into the Tivo. I highly doubt this will work. Especially in light of the fact that the phone support guy was very quick to inform me that they will not install a card into a Tivo - sounds to me that since the release of the new tivo HD, the company has instituted a comprehensive policy which prohibits rental of cablecards to tivo subscribers.

So, tell me: How many Suddenlink subscribers are out there that are like me and cannot buy a HD Tivo because of the monopoly the cable company has imposed?
The cable company doesn't have a choice in the matter. Call them up and ask for the address for their legal department. Write a letter to them CCing the local franchise board and the FCC and all will go away.
Combat Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #16
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sljack63

#3 may be valid - that is their call.

#1 and #2 are variations of the same mis-informed BS - the Tivo is a CableLabs approved device. As such, they MUST install cards in the Tivo.

They don't have to support the Tivo, but they have to support the cards supported in the Tivo.

If you still have problems, it might be easier just to call back and tell them you want them installed in a TV. If they really want to know the model #, tell them to check the CableLabs approved devices list for a TCD652160.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:29 AM   #17
chachierodriguez

Hey Everyone! I am new here, and also new to Tivo. As a true tv junkie I thought the obvious move was to replace my Suddenlink dvr with a series 3 HD. I also thought that if I realy liked the Tivo experience I would replace the other two Suddenlink dvrs in my house. I thought you might enjoy my continuing struggle to get my Tivo hooked up!!! I am in Humboldt County, California. An old Cox area.

When I first opened the box around the end of September, I was dismayed to find out about the cable card deal. I guess somehow I missed that part on Amazon's ad. This is when I started calling Suddenlink.

Suddenlink Call 1:
I was told that Suddenlink did not "support Tivo" and I could not have cards.

I went on Vacation for a few days, then I found this forum and called back.

Suddenlink Call 2:
I told the rep that I now knew that it was required by law that they make cards ready for me and that I wanted them. I was put on hold for about 5 min. and then told that there were no cards in Northern California, and even if there was, i would not get any premium channels. I asked for a manager, she said one would call me back. I waited three days.

Suddenlink Call 3:
Now asking for cards for a "approved digital ready device" I was told that I could just go to my local office and pick them right up and do the install myself.

Suddenlink Office Stop by:
I was told that I had to have the cards installed and that I would not get my HD channels. I left and opted to call tivo

Tivo Call:
The rep told me that if Suddenlink didn't want to give me cards or had weird outdated cards that for some reason did not get all channels, there was nothing he could do.

Suddenlink Call 4:
I told the rep the whole story and reminded him how much I spend with them every month. He called the dispatch in my area and he was told that Suddenlink just did not have any cards in our area and there was no word on when they would get them. I reminded him that it was the law that they were supposed to make those available to customers, and again of how big my bill was. He promised to talk directly to his manager regarding this issue and a quick call back. I waited a week and then called again.

Suddenlink Call 5:
I told the whole story. I was told that this rep would email the former rep and the manager and get right back to me. Its been 4 days.

At this point I have almost had the unit for 30 days... I don't know if I can still return it. What I realy want is a couple of cable cards so I can just use the thing. Frustration is boiling over!!!! I wish I could tell Suddenlink where to put their substandard dvrs, but I am a tv junkie, so here I am.
chachierodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #18
demon
BURNINATOR

Submit a complaint on the FCC's web site. I've been through this same dance with my cable company, and that was the only thing that managed to get them to sit up and pay attention. If you really want to return the unit you got, and buy another in a month after your cable company calls you up, you could do that - it took about a month between when I submitted my complaint and when the cable company's netops department called me up saying "I hear you're looking for some CableCARDs... when would you like to make the appointment for installation?" It will require waiting a bit, but it worked for me - my Series3 is now receiving full digital cable, including HBO-HD.

Edit: I'm not with Suddenlink, but PrairieWave/Knology in western South Dakota, but when their legal rep receives that complaint notice, they won't want to be on the FCC's bad side.
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #19
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCoder
Will they let you have 2 cable cards? I asked one installer and he told me there was a limit of one per household.

-rich
I have been told the same thing by my cable co. Are they allowed to do this?
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #20
brazospiano

Okay I am a total newbie, but really want to get a DVR for my wife for her birthday later this week. I don't think we have digital cable. We have Suddenlink. A coworker has a Suddenlink DVR but are paying $20 a month for it I was told. I would rather buy one.

Sounds like I will follow the FCC complaint and know which cable card approved device to tell them to use it with...

If I will probably purchase a HD tv next year, will the Tivo3 be what I need? Do I have to have digital cable for this to work?
brazospiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #21
chachierodriguez

Well here is an update. I filed a complaint with the FCC. I then called Suddenlink to tell them that I did so, and hoped that they would do something. The rep told me a tech would be out tomorrow to do the install. They called back about 15 min. later and told me that there were no cable cards in our area. However, if I waited a few more days, they would have them in.

A few days later he showed up with "all three" cable cards that they have. He told me that they should work, but I would get no HD channels. I told him to go ahead because I have another HD tv upstairs and really really wanted to get this tivo working. Install took two hours, and none of the cards worked. I got this really weird white pixelation on my analog channels and got no digital channels.

He suggested that I buy my own cards and then have them authorized by Suddenlink. Is this even a possibility? He said he did not know. Do any of you?

He then suggested that maybe I should return the tivo. Meanwhile my 30 days is up. Amazon nor Tivo will accept my return!
chachierodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #22
agrabren

Thumbs up

I have Suddenlink in Pflugerville, TX (Stop laughing, it's a nice place)
I got a Tivo Series 3 DVR for my birthday (I had already done my homework, was a Tivo user in the past) after getting really tired of the Suddenlink DVR.

I had great experience so far:

Called Suddenlink on Sunday night for an appointment, and they showed up Monday morning to set me up, no complaints or protests at a Tivo.

They arrived, and at first thought I only needed one card, since they use mCards, but I informed them that the Series 3 needed two mCards, since it couldn't multistream. He said ok, installed card 1, got it running, repeat card 2, all is set. I sign off, he leaves. All is good, so I thought at the time.

I got home that night, playing around more, realized that card 2 hadn't paired properly. I couldn't watch AETV or FOODHD on card 2. Despite my email request to Suddenlink getting the response that HD wouldn't be available, I got everything on card 1 that I should get. Tivo is apparently very popular in my town, according to the guy I talked to today.

Called up, they couldn't re-pair over the phone (the guy said he doesn't have that ability, it's a different group which does cable cards) but they could have someone back out the very next morning. I had to postpone to today because of I had meetings yesterday. So I worked from home again today, guy shows up, calls in the card, and they re-pair it. Everything now works perfectly on both cards. He even brought a spare card today in case it didn't work with a re-pair.

We talked a few minutes, he asked questions on how to set up the Tivo, since he's almost always had people who knew how to do all the screens, so in case he ran into a new Tivo customer, he could help get them all set up quickly and easily. I'm very impressed with Suddenlink in our area.

So they get a from me in Pflugerville, although corporate may be a bit more questionable, and possibly far less useful. Your mileage may vary.
agrabren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #23
strob777

Like raober(the OP) I also live along I-64 between Charleston and Huntington in WV. I had a 8300 HD DVR from Suddenlink and hated it. Bought two TivoHDs and use them for OTA. Work perfect. I called Suddenlink and took the 8300 back and told them I needed 2 Mcards. Didn't tell them it was for a tivo and they didn't ask. Scheduled for last Saturday 1-5 and nobody showed up or called even though I called at 9 a.m. to confirm my appointment. When I called the 800 number at 6 p.m. the csr told me it had been noted on my order that they didn't have any cards even though the girl at the office told me they did after calling back to their tech guy to verify they did.Now they are telling me they will call me when they come in. I'm not going to hold my breath.
strob777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #24
larryinlubbock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachierodriguez View Post
Well here is an update. I filed a complaint with the FCC. I then called Suddenlink to tell them that I did so, and hoped that they would do something. The rep told me a tech would be out tomorrow to do the install. They called back about 15 min. later and told me that there were no cable cards in our area. However, if I waited a few more days, they would have them in.

A few days later he showed up with "all three" cable cards that they have. He told me that they should work, but I would get no HD channels. I told him to go ahead because I have another HD tv upstairs and really really wanted to get this tivo working. Install took two hours, and none of the cards worked. I got this really weird white pixelation on my analog channels and got no digital channels.

He suggested that I buy my own cards and then have them authorized by Suddenlink. Is this even a possibility? He said he did not know. Do any of you?

He then suggested that maybe I should return the tivo. Meanwhile my 30 days is up. Amazon nor Tivo will accept my return!
I filed a complaint to the FCC also. About a month later I got 5 frantic calls from 5 different Suddenlink people asking if I still wanted cablecards. Cool! So now my install is scheduled for this coming Wednesday. It's kind of amazing considering that the Suddenlink office here in Lubbock had previously told me that in no uncertain terms would they give me cablecards for a tivo.
Now I'm worried that I won't get the HD channels to work with my HD Tivo.
After all, isn't that the point?
larryinlubbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #25
colin1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinlubbock View Post
I filed a complaint to the FCC also. About a month later I got 5 frantic calls from 5 different Suddenlink people asking if I still wanted cablecards. Cool! So now my install is scheduled for this coming Wednesday. It's kind of amazing considering that the Suddenlink office here in Lubbock had previously told me that in no uncertain terms would they give me cablecards for a tivo.
Now I'm worried that I won't get the HD channels to work with my HD Tivo.
After all, isn't that the point?
HD channels are just like other digital channels as far as their authorization system is concerned, FYI. If you don't get your HD channels it's because they don't have them properly turned on in the billing system. The garbage about HD channels not working is just ignorance on the part of the customer service folks.
colin1497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:47 AM   #26
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1497 View Post
HD channels are just like other digital channels as far as their authorization system is concerned, FYI. If you don't get your HD channels it's because they don't have them properly turned on in the billing system. The garbage about HD channels not working is just ignorance on the part of the customer service folks.
I was also told by Suddenlink in Northern California that I would not be getting HD programming with the cablecards, and in fact I did not. I spoke personally to the installer and the chief engineer in the head office, who were EXTREMELY nice and tried to be as helpful as possible. In fact, they were the most helpful and genuinely concerned people I have ever dealt with in the cable industry and I was their first CC install, EVER. But I could not even convince the engineer that, yes, cablecards decode HD channels just like all the others. I didn't push it because I knew I would be moving away in a couple of months.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #27
chinhster

I had mine installed two weeks ago (College Station, TX). It was pretty painful. The installer showed up 40 minutes late. The installer had done them before with Tivos but he said every install he's done has been different.

The first card he put in took a good 20 minutes before the Tivo put up an error that it had a problem with the card. He put in a different card and it worked right away. He then put in an M-card in the second slot and it worked. I asked him if the second card is a multi-stream card, why doesn't he just put it in the first slot so that we can use just that one card. He said that they don't support multi-stream yet so the card would only work as a single-stream. I didn't know if this was true or not so I didn't press him any further.

It took another 30+ minutes for us to get my HD+ tier working (regular HD was fine). When he left, I got everything I subscribed for. This past Monday night, I decide to check out Monday Night Football near the end of the game and I get a blank screen. So I call Suddenlink all week long telling them I can't get ESPNHD but I can get all of my other HD+ tier channels (I later find out I can't get National Geographic HD either). I had an appointment with an installer a couple of days ago and he calls me before my appointment telling me he doesn't need to come by because the problem is that for some reason, they took ESPN HD off my account and that it's been corrected and I should pick it up within a few hours.

I check the next morning and I still don't get it. I call them later and they tell me they did a lineup change earlier in the week. So I had been tuning to the wrong channel for ESPN HD because the Tivo didn't know the lineup had changed. I tune to the new channel and still don't get it. I wonder if it had been working earlier (but on a different channel) and it screwed up when we tried to "fix" it. I've got an appointment later on today so we'll see what happens.
chinhster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #28
DrBunsen

Short version:
After 3 truck rolls (and one scheduling screwup by them) I'm up and going with single M-Cards in my 2 TiVoHDs. Reception seems to be fine. In a day or 3 I'll call to cancel (or suspend) DTV and donate my HR10-250s as a going-away present to my boss (who still has DTV).

Long, drawn-out version:
I live in Fate, TX, which is so small that mail has to be addressed through Royse City (about 7 miles away). I have 2 TiVoHDs to replace my soon-to-be-retired HR10-250's. I arranged to have Suddenlink come out and when doing so I tried to specify 2 M-Cards and explained that I'd prefer 2 M-Cards over 4 S-Cards. The cost per card was said to be $3.99/month (yuck).

Truck Roll #1:
Tech called 2 hours early hoping that I'd be home already. Since I work in downtown Dallas (30 miles away) he was SOL, so he went do to something else (I did admire that he was trying to not be late). I got home before the appointed time, and 3 (?) techs showed up right on time with 2 S-Cards, and said that it was all they had at the local office, but that I could reschedule and specify 4 cards and they'd be able to get them. They had never done any CC installations.

Called and rescheduled. The sales person I spoke to had to put together another package deal for some reason, and with 4 cards instead of 2 the pricing was only about a dollar more so I was pleased.

Truck Roll #2:
Tech called before hand and said that all he had was 3 cards, and couldn't tell if they were S-Cards or M-Cards (he was a different tech from the earlier guys, and hadn't done any CC installations either). I tried explaining the difference to him, but it didn't register so I dropped it. I figured that I didn't want to wait any longer (want to get away from DTV) so we proceded. He didn't want to pay much attention to the TiVo instructions, preferring to take cues from his tech support. He had to call around for almost 2 hours (including hold times) before he could find a tech to activate. He didn't bother to check reception on first card before inserting and activating the 2nd card (in the TiVoHD that was going to have 2 cards). I let him leave before running through the guided setup since I knew that a return visit was necessary anyway, and I kinda didn't want him around any more than necessary. (He did ask me, before leaving, if I knew that it was possible to get a single M-Card that would do what 2 S-Cards would do (he heard about it from their tech support), and I told him that that was what I was explaining when we first talked (sigh...).) After testing I could see that in the TiVo with 2 CC's, the 1st CC wasn't decoding, so I called the next day to schedule the next truck roll and let them know that one of the cards wasn't decoding. I found out that the tech had apparently already scheduled the next visit for the next Monday at 1pm-3pm (yikes - no good for me), so I got her to reschedule for 3pm-5pm (though I'd have to leave work a few hours early). Since I needed the 4th card, as well as possibly one more to replace the balky one, the person I spoke to said that they'd bring out 2 cards. I did manage to get her to put M-Cards on the order (just in case they had them).

Non-truckroll:
I left work at 1:20pm to catch the bus to the park-n-ride, then ride my motorcycle home by 2:15pm, plenty early for the 3pm-5pm appointment time. At 5:30pm I call and ask if there was a delay that they knew about, and the person I spoke to said that the scheduled time was for 8am to noon the next day (this past Tuesday).

Sheesh...

I'm rather peeved, but just express my disappointment in a friendly manner. She said that any change to the schedule would've showed up on her screen, so from all appearances it had always been scheduled for then. I did explain about how one of the cards wasn't working, and she did go through the effort of tracking down someone to hit the card, and I could see the status change, but it still wouldn't decode. I rescheduled for Thursday (which was the next evening I had open). After hanging up I rebooted the TiVoHD with the balky card and it worked. At least that was a bright spot. I didn't want to call back and tell them to only bring one card since it was possible that they could bring out 2 M-Cards (which is what ended up happening), and as far as I knew the card that they hit could be one that's defective.

Truck Roll #3:
Tech shows up with 2 M-Cards (yay!), but says that he's tried M-Cards in TiVos with no luck (uh-oh). He also says that he's not supposed to put them in TiVos ("if I told my boss that they're for TiVos he'd tell me to leave") but was willing to go through the motions. I take out the S-Cards, put in the M-Cards, he calls in the serial numbers, and boom, everything's shiney. He was out the door in 45 minutes (most of the time was spent trying to reach someone to activate the cards). So at least he can say that the M-Cards do work in some cases.

BTW, I did try to let him know about the FCC mandates, and the problem that Series 3's have with M-Cards, but his eyes told me he wasn't too interested so I dropped it.

Anyways, I'm doing fine now. The only other glitch of note occurred when doing the Guided Setup. I first used the zip code for Fate (which is where we really are) and the channel lineup was incorrect on a number of channels. When I used the one for Royse City (which is about 7 miles away, but where we get our mail through) it worked fine. Suddenlink was a choice for both Zip Codes, but they apparently have different lineups in different parts of Fate, which seems strange for such a small town.

Bunsen
DrBunsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #29
keiffer6

My SuddenLink Adventure - So Far

When I bought my Series 3 Tivo I called SuddenLink to see about getting the CableCards. The Customer Service lady told me that their cards only work in TV's. She also said that they could not give me 2 CableCards in the place of 1 DCT. She also gave me the whole "We don't support TiVo" argument. I finally told her to put me through to the Tech Support. If they were going to tell that they didn't work with TiVo, I was going to get a technical answer as to exactly why they wouldn't.

After talking with Tech Support for a little bit I got the tech to agree with me that there should be no reason that their cards wouldn't work in the TiVo. He did say that he was not sure how the Digital channels would work on both cards. He was thinking that the primary card would get all channels and the secondary card would only receive the analog channels. He went ahead and scheduled a install for me for Yesterday.

I received my TiVo Series 3 yesterday and had already scheduled an appointment with Suddenlink to come out. They were supposed to be there between 5 & 7 yesterday. About 7:15 I got a call from the tech saying that he was on his way. When he got there he was suprised to see that I was putting them into a TiVo even though I told them that from the start. None the less he gave it a shot. He said he had never done a CC install. It showed.

We went through the install of the first card and had the main office activate it. He then started on the second card and the lady at the office said that there was no way for her to add a second card to replace a single DCT. That effectively stopped us in our tracks. The tech asked if I would mind if he took the TiVo back to the office and they worked on getting running at the head end. I asked if they were going to be responsible should anything happen to my $600 Tivo. That ended that idea rather quickly. He then said that they would schedule another service call for today between 5 & 7 and that they would make sure that one of their more experienced techs was the one to come.

So that is where I stand currently. I have a TiVo with 2 M-Cards installed in the back and no cable working at all on that outlet. According to the tech, since they didn't complete the service order neither of the cards would work until that order was completed. Hopefully tonight they will be able to get everything working.

** UPDATE 3/6/08 **

The tech was there again last night for about an hour. By the time he left it looked like the cards were paired but I was still not getting any channels. After several reboots and checking all the numbers again he called it quits and told me to try TiVo support or SuddenLink support.

After he left I called TiVo technical support and spoke to a very helpful lady. After describing what was going on she said that one of two things was wrong. Either the coax cable was not plugged into the right spot or not tightly connecter OR the cards were not authorized on my account. I checked the coax and that was in the right spot and connected tightly. That left the cards not being authorized.

With this new knowledge I called SuddenLink support and told the lady that the cards did not appear to be authorized . She put me on hold and all the sudden I was getting channels. YEAH!!!! I thanked her for her help and hung up the phone.

I am now getting all my channels on both tuners and now have some HD channels (HD locals are free in our area). We love the HD. Amazing how much difference there is in the quality of the picture. Everything appears to be 100% for us.

I hope this helps others that have problems with SuddenLink. It seems that Suddenlink suffers from a severe lack of knowledge even when it comes to their own services.

Last edited by keiffer6 : 03-06-2008 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Update
keiffer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #30
DrBunsen

A followup to my earlier post...

When I got my bill I found that they're charging me for 5 cable cards, including partial-month charges for 3 cards and the another shorter partial-month charge for 2 cards. I called customer support and explained that the tech that came out the 2nd time took the 3 earlier cards with him. He could tell from the entries that that was so, so he adjusted the account so that I'll only be charged for 2 cards going forward. But for some stupid reason I need to actually drive to the Suddenlink office that did the install in order to get a refund done for the incorrect charges.

They also charged me $45 for an aerial install, which the guy on the phone said was to cable up the house, but no cabling needed to be done, and was noted as such on the receipt that I had to sign. In fact I had to initial the section that showed that he didn't do any cabling work so that I was taking responsibility for the quality of the lines.

Getting the charges wrong is something that can happen, and the guy on the phone obviously could see that I only had 2 cards authorized on my account. And he could see the various truck rolls and when things were authorized. So why can't he do the adjustment thing on the incorrect charges? Why do I have to drive to the office to get it straightened out? Even weirder, I asked if he could transfer the call to that office, or if he could give me the telephone number, and he said he couldn't. So I guess that other office doesn't have those telephone gadgets there. Welcome to the 90's Suddenlink.

The 1890's.

Bunsen
DrBunsen is offline   Reply With Quote