Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #151
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVotion
Jesus. Too bad that's inaccurate. "The issue is not universal but has been reported by a disproportionately large number of TiVo subscribers".
He also mentions that Motorola cablecard users are immune, which isn't the case. No wonder so many issues get blown out of proportion. Idiot.
actually I do not think the article blew it out of proportion. There is a distinct issue here and Tivo has acknowledged it and is working on a patch to go further than the Aug. 1st patch. TiVo knows it is working with initial launch impression of the product so I expct they are burning overtime on it and want to get it out ASAP.

So some details are wrong like Motorolla cards not having issues but the overall impression of a new hardware release having some issues is accurate. My faith is still in TiVo getting it worked out and standing behind their products to continue their line of great products with another stellar product. Right now that is a faith thing though and article is just pointing out the current reality
Old 08-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #152
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVotion
Jesus. Too bad that's inaccurate. "The issue is not universal but has been reported by a disproportionately large number of TiVo subscribers". Um, how many subscribers does TiVo have - something like 3 million - and how many people have reported it here? Unless this writer has secret inside access to TiVo's support call logs or his interpretation of "disproportionately large" is different than mine, I think that's a poor turn of phrase.
There are plenty of things wrong with that article, but that's not one of them. It fits with my definition of disproportionate. There's a proportion of TiVo subscribers who have HD, a lot of those complain of are reporting problems. That's disportionate.

I haven't heard of many TiVo HD subscribers who said they didn't have problems. There are a lot, a disproportionate amount who are complaining of the problem. Usually when anyone claims a problem is widespread, a lot of people pop up to say they don't have the problem. I haven't seen that. You don't need access to logs to get a sense of this sort of thing.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #153
CosmoGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
I'm still surprised that they didn't run into this in testing.
They did, if you want to call the release of the S3 a test. I have pixelation on my S3 which I talked to TiVo about several times. In my case the problem got better over time and for me the unit is now acceptable, but not perfect. They did offer to send me a new unit but otherwise had no interest in working with me to solve the problem.

I think that if they had taken the pixelation problems more seriously with the S3; really gotten down to the core of the problem, or problems, then maybe they could have avoided this repeat performance.

Look at the bright side, I doubt the next HD unit that TiVo releases will have this problem. Not after this B sample test confirmed the results from the A sample test.
CosmoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #154
JimboDunky
Disenchanted User

I'm writing to a Cnet editor who reviewed the TiVo HD about all of this. Took some pics to e-mail him also. Maybe if this issue gets exposure, you guys will get some help, but I've still given up.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #155
Big Dee

I was literally thisclose to picking up a Tivo HD after work after making the decision to treat myself and making the leap into HD, but after perusing these forums, have to admit that I'm running scared. Should I sit back and wait? Swallow the bullet and pick up a Series 3 for the extra dough? Suffer through with my Series 2 in SD?

I've only been with Tivo for ten months and I can't believe I ever watched TV without it (never did the cable provided DVR thing and don't wanna, to be honest), but all this talk of pixelation, etc. is really souring my mood...
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #156
Chimpware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
I was literally thisclose to picking up a Tivo HD after work after making the decision to treat myself and making the leap into HD, but after perusing these forums, have to admit that I'm running scared. Should I sit back and wait? Swallow the bullet and pick up a Series 3 for the extra dough? Suffer through with my Series 2 in SD?

I've only been with Tivo for ten months and I can't believe I ever watched TV without it (never did the cable provided DVR thing and don't wanna, to be honest), but all this talk of pixelation, etc. is really souring my mood...
I would wait until the clear up the pixelation issue, unless you are sure you can get an m-card instead of 2 single cable cards. If you can get a multi coard cable card from your cable company I would go ahead seems like the mcard people are not having the same issue.
Chimpware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #157
Big Dee

Will do just that...anyone had any experience (or can point me in the right direction) to dealing with Time Warner Cable in Los Angeles? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:11 PM   #158
jmpage2

Getting M-cards is seriously hit or miss right now. Most CSRs and installers don't know what they are, and even if they try to specify that you get an M-card on the install order it's possible that your installer will only get the S-cards.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #159
Chimpware

Actually had a show with so much macroblocking from last night that the recording eventually failed.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #160
Big Dee

Just curious...are these problems at all prevalent in the Series 3 $600 unit? Slow menus, pixelation, etc.?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #161
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
Just curious...are these problems at all prevalent in the Series 3 $600 unit? Slow menus, pixelation, etc.?
The S3 never had a serious problem with macroblocking, at least not to the extent that people were jumping up and down and getting mad like they are with the HD. I had some small problem with macroblocking with my S3, it didn't seem to be anywhere near as bad as the HD has it, and it seems to have cleared up. It may have been TiVo who fixed it, or it may have been my cable signal got better. I don't know which.

How slow is slow menus? I think they're a little sluggish at time, but all my TiVos seem to have been like that.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #162
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

The S3 used to be slow in a couple of menu, specifically in search by title, used to have to wait a couple second after entering each letter. Also in wishlist, going into and backing out of show list of upcoming could be slow, some times 15-30 second for a long wishlist. Those got fixed in 8.3.

HD is still on 8.1, if the menu performance is similar to S3 with 8.1, I would call it annoying, but not unacceptable. And it hopefully will be fixed with the next software version.
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:26 PM   #163
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12
The S3 used to be slow in a couple of menu, specifically in search by title, used to have to wait a couple second after entering each letter.
I forgot about that, that was painful and slow by any defintion.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:08 PM   #164
Guy Kuo

Spoke too soon. After some more viewing after the new drive installation, I can still see occasional "pixellation" Here I get macroblocking of portions of the picture lasting for a few frames. It appears as often as every three or four minutes. So, a new drive is NOT the solution.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:26 AM   #165
gespears

I agree. I just finished my WD 500 gig installation. On the up side I can record 70 hours of HD, on the down side I'll have to take it back out when I ship this unit back. I still have almost as much pixelation and macroblocking. It does seem like it's not as bad, but that might just be wishful thinking. It's still too bad to be acceptable.

Gary
gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:07 AM   #166
Brighton Line

Just got a TivoHD and I have SA Cablecards and I'm getting macroblocking on live TV, recordings and even appears on menus (Menus only slightly).
Since I bought it from circuit city, I'm thinking of returning it, problem is I will have to eat the $47 fee Cablevision charged for the cable card install.
Brighton Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:38 AM   #167
mitomac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
JSince I bought it from circuit city, I'm thinking of returning it, problem is I will have to eat the $47 fee Cablevision charged for the cable card install.
Be thankful, some of us are looking at eating an $86 install fee. TWC charges $42.95 per cable card!

mitomac
mitomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:52 AM   #168
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitomac
Be thankful, some of us are looking at eating an $86 install fee. TWC charges $42.95 per cable card!

mitomac
Hold on until just before you have to return it then, TiVo is also dreading the 30 day return window and the moeny it will cost them.

They had good results with the first patch so seem to be on to cause(s) of the issue. TiVoPony would not say "making good headway" unless he thought that to be the case.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #169
mchief
Morey

Got my Tivo HD yesterday from CC. Comcast Alexandria, VA showed up and installed the first card in slot 1 - m-card. Installer didn't have a clue. Spoke with headend to resolve problems with encrypted channels. Fixed in about 3 minutes. Shortly after hooking up the ethernet cable, upgraded to 8.1.7b.

Watched about 6 hours of various programming last night. SD and HD and saw only 2 to 3 seconds of macroblocking.

So far so good.
mchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #170
gschoen

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
I haven't heard of many TiVo HD subscribers who said they didn't have problems. There are a lot, a disproportionate amount who are complaining of the problem. Usually when anyone claims a problem is widespread, a lot of people pop up to say they don't have the problem. I haven't seen that. You don't need access to logs to get a sense of this sort of thing.
I have the HD with no problems, the macroblocking is similar to what I experienced using the Motorola DVR and my OTA tuner. So not everyone is having this problem.

I didn't see the need to post since my unit is working normally. The people most likely to post are the ones with a problem.
gschoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #171
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschoen
I have the HD with no problems, the macroblocking is similar to what I experienced using the Motorola DVR and my OTA tuner. So not everyone is having this problem.

I didn't see the need to post since my unit is working normally. The people most likely to post are the ones with a problem.
And posts like this ususally bring out a chorus of "no problems", so far you're a solo. It also sounds like there is macroblocking on your HD, you just aren't sure of the cause. (Like me with the S3.)
Old 08-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #172
ktm450exc

TivoHD pixelation

I'm in the boat of having a bit of pixelation. Sometimes a recorded show is clear of it, other times a show has several hits of pixelation. But I'm also in the boat of waiting it out. If it's software I'm confident Tivo will fix it, if it's hardware.. same thing I'm sure they'll correct it.

My biggest peeve about about the TivoHD is the lack of TTG. Or rather the ability to download shows to the Tivo. The pixelation I have is bearable, annoying but bearable, and I can live with it for the time that it takes Tivo to patch it. But the lack of bringing shows to the Tivo, thats my biggest peeve and I'm pretty confident that it will take a very long time to get working. I'd be happy with a global copy-block on all the shows if it lets me bring shows to the Tivo.

In the end I've also been admonishing those I talk to about the TivoHD to hold off getting one due to the problems of pixelation, lack of TTG functionality, and the disabled eSATA are resolved.
ktm450exc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #173
Chimpware

b2 seems to have fixed the issue, at least for me, based on about 1 hour of testing.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:02 PM   #174
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Good news!

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #175
Chimpware

OK may have jumped the gun on this...

Sorry TivoFanBoys, but I just had 5 instances of pixelation within the firt minute of Big Brother 8. So not fixed, but possibly reduced. It appears that the interval has been somewhat reduced, but the issue continues...

During the time it took to post this it has pixelated 5 more times. Sad
Old 08-16-2007, 09:39 PM   #176
gschoen

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
And posts like this ususally bring out a chorus of "no problems", so far you're a solo. It also sounds like there is macroblocking on your HD, you just aren't sure of the cause. (Like me with the S3.)
I compared the performance to other HD tuners NOT because they're defective but similar. None were perfect, but 1 second of drop outs/blocking in hours of viewing is normal from my experience. Those with problems with their Tivo HD have actual issues, but I don't.

Please don't presume I'm having problems. It's working fine and I'm happy. You're suggesting I'm the only one?
gschoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:52 PM   #177
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschoen
Please don't presume I'm having problems.
I think any macroblocking is a problem which needs to be addressed, but it seems you wouldn't noticed if the TiVo did introduce some more, not that I'm saying it is, just that it may be difficult to tell in your circumstance.
Quote:
You're suggesting I'm the only one?
No, but I haven't heard of very many. What I am say its unusual for only one person to pop up and say they're not having problems.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:31 AM   #178
sniperlv

I got my HD Tivo Saturday. Cox rolled out on Sunday with 2 cards to install. Neither one of the cards worked. Cox came back out today with 5 cards finally got 2 to work, but have a lot of pixelation.
sniperlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:06 AM   #179
CCourtney

My personal observations.

Yes, I've occasionally seen Pixellation while watching HD channels.

Is it frequent. Not at all.

It may happen on 5% of the programs I watch/record. And when it does happen it's infrequent on those recordings.

Do I believe it was my TiVo HD at fault. Not at all.

I was worried about this, but I switched over to my SA8300HD and it was having the same pixellation issues as well. Signal quality from CableCo is to blame at my house.

FYI, I purchased my TiVo HD on 7/26 from CC and installed CableCARDs on 7/28 so yes, I've had time to make observations.

CCourtney
Old 08-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #180
compulady

I have 2 Tivo series 3 boxes. The original $799 one which works fine and the new $299 which I just had cable come to add cable cards (cablevision) to this week. I am getting alot of pixelation and poor picture quality with the new one.

I am using HDMI out and I have also tried component out.

I originally had the $799 box in the same place so I know it's not my signal. Is there a firmware update? Anything I should do? Should I return it?

Last edited by compulady : 08-23-2007 at 05:12 PM.
compulady is offline   Reply With Quote