TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #91
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Once the second SATA port is enabled, there is no reason you couldn't mount a second drive internally. The only issue will be splitting the power connection for two drives.

I expect DVRupgrade.com and WeaKnees.com will offer brackets and kits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #92
spike2k5

WinMFS has been upgraded to Beta status Now.

Also, posted MFSLive Linux Boot CD Version 1.3-pre3.
This version has TivoHD support as well as fixes for mfstools restore -r 2 or mfsadd -r 2 for partitions greater than 274GB.

spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #93
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

Spike- is there any change on the 1TB limit per volume?

I know there are a lot of other reasons Tivo would make changes to MFS operation, but I can always hope.
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #94
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Thyme
Spike- is there any change on the 1TB limit per volume?

I know there are a lot of other reasons Tivo would make changes to MFS operation, but I can always hope.
I'm not sure at this point.

I'm about to do some testing so will let folks know.

Also, as far as going above 2TiB, Mac Partition table is still limited to 2TiB so I'm not sure Tivo truely fixed that problem.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:27 AM   #95
holligl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Although you can get a good deal on the Western Digital drives. You can pick up their 750GB perpendicular recording drive for $200 and their 500 GB drive is a little over $100 now. Both of those drives are very quiet, especially after enabling the acoustic management.
How do you enable the acoustic management?
What is the trade-off? (Does it slow the response?)
2x Comcast M-card, HDMI & Composite
holligl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:58 AM   #96
aaronwt
HD Addict

No difference in performance. Even with a 5400rpm drive you wouldn't notice a difference. Recording a few video streams doesn't come anywhere close to maximizing the bandwidth of the hard drive.

Hitachi has a program that you burn to CD. You can enable the AM on Hitachi and Western Digital drives with it. The program is the Hitachi Feature tool.
Here is the page http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

You can download the CD image and burn to disc. Ten just boot the PC from the CD. There is also a download for the users guide.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #97
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by holligl
How do you enable the acoustic management?
What is the trade-off? (Does it slow the response?)
You can use MFSLive Linux Boot CD as well.

hdparm -M 128 -K 1 /dev/sda

128 is the quietest you can set.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:49 AM   #98
TracerBullet

I'd like to do this (I'm comfortable with upgrading, etc.) but I've never done this to a TiVo before. I seem to be missing something- are you taking the information from the old TiVo HD drive and transferring it to a new drive using WinMFS?

I was going to wait for ESATA but if this really is as easy as everyone says I see no reason to wait.

I have a cablecard appointment on Friday so if I could get this done tonight or tomorrow that would be ideal.
TracerBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #99
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I'd like to do this (I'm comfortable with upgrading, etc.) but I've never done this to a TiVo before. I seem to be missing something- are you taking the information from the old TiVo HD drive and transferring it to a new drive using WinMFS?

I was going to wait for ESATA but if this really is as easy as everyone says I see no reason to wait.

I have a cablecard appointment on Friday so if I could get this done tonight or tomorrow that would be ideal.
In WinMFS, you just load the original drive into WinMFS and do a truncated backup. This will save the original drive to a file on your windows partition. Then load your new drive in WinMFS and do a restore. Since the drive is bigger it will ask you to expand the drive once it is done (say yes of course). The whole process only takes a couple of minutes. However, you should make sure you have enough SATA headers on your motherboard to hook the drives up. If you only have one extra, you can just hook one drive up at a time and do each step. You just need to make sure you are using XP SP 1 or later or the drives get auto mounted and mess up the boot page.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:22 AM   #100
TracerBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
In WinMFS, you just load the original drive into WinMFS and do a truncated backup. This will save the original drive to a file on your windows partition. Then load your new drive in WinMFS and do a restore. Since the drive is bigger it will ask you to expand the drive once it is done (say yes of course). The whole process only takes a couple of minutes. However, you should make sure you have enough SATA headers on your motherboard to hook the drives up. If you only have one extra, you can just hook one drive up at a time and do each step.
Great, thank you so much. Sounds very easy.

Could you use a USB enclosure as well, or will this only work through SATA?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #101
jmpage2

If you are running Vista make sure you right click the WinMFS executable and choose "run as administrator". Even though my user account in Vista has administrator privelages when you run WinMFS it won't allow you to select a Tivo drive unless you run the executable expressly as the administrator account on the box.

Make sure you don't mount the discs in Windows, that would be bad and would destroy the boot partition on the Tivo drive (which there is a tool to recover).

I simply selected my Tivo drive as the "A" drive and did a direct copy to my other drive, no truncated backup. I copied all of my shows, etc, and it only took about 20 mins to complete. I also used the supersize option that Spike has created which has pushed me up to 70 hrs of HD recording on a 500GB drive. I just put the original Tivo drive in an anti-static bag and put it in my safe so I can use it again if I ever need to recover the original configuration. Takes up more physical space but I don't have to have to worry about losing the software backup.

I believe it's been reported that USB enclosures will work, it will just take longer to run the tool.

Definitely it's smart to get a drive like a Hitachi or WD that will allow you to turn on acoustic management. You just need to download the Hitachi Diagnostics ISO image and burn it to a disc or use the program Spike provides on the MFSLive bootable CD. I tested seek noise with acoustic management off and it was very noisy. With AM turned on to the 128 setting (maximum) you could barely tell the drive was running.

Keep in mind that most of the drives we would consider installing run much hotter than the stock drive. I observed that the stock drive only hit about 33C on the drive exterior when it ran copying for 20 mins. The new Hitachi 500GB drive hit 44C (and probably would have gotten hotter with AM turned off). Make sure your Tivo is in a well ventilated area if you will update the drive, one user already reported that the Seagate 750GB drive he installed ran so hot it actually caused problems with the Tivo and he had to put the stock drive back in.

Thanks again to Spike for providing such great tools!!!
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #102
TracerBullet

How do you avoid mounting the drive? I've never wanted to not have a drive show up before.

This would be XP.

Also, thanks for mentioning specific HDDs. I was looking at a 750GB Seagate but I think I'll stay away from it now.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #103
jmpage2

Quote:
How do you avoid mounting the drive? I've never wanted to not have a drive show up before.

This would be XP.
Plug in the Tivo drive and your new hard drive and after booting the system do not go into disc management to "initialize" them or assign them a letter.

XP will still see them (you can verify this in disc management just don't assign them a letter or initialize them) so that WinMFS can work with them.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #104
TracerBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Plug in the Tivo drive and your new hard drive and after booting the system do not go into disc management to "initialize" them or assign them a letter.

XP will still see them (you can verify this in disc management just don't assign them a letter or initialize them) so that WinMFS can work with them.
Thanks.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:14 AM   #105
Zaph32

I don't guess these tools exist for MacOSX? Or maybe linux form that could be compiled for OSX?
Zaph32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:31 AM   #106
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph32
I don't guess these tools exist for MacOSX? Or maybe linux form that could be compiled for OSX?
There is a Linux Boot disc and a configurator at mfslive.org that tells you what commands to run depending on drive sizes, etc. It will not be a simple GUI tool like the WinMFS tool.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #107
TracerBullet

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but since people reading it have obviously done this...

I unscrewed three of the screws on the TiVo hard drive mounting bracket fine, but the fourth screw refuses to come out. I can't get a grip on it with any tool. I used an Allen wrench to remove all the other screws.

At first I thought it was a different type of screw, but after examining it more closely that's not the case. So... basically, WTF?

Edit: Okay, so I figured out it's a star screw. What size screwdriver do I need to remove it?

Last edited by TracerBullet : 08-15-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:43 PM   #108
jmpage2

Quote:
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but since people reading it have obviously done this...

I unscrewed three of the screws on the TiVo hard drive mounting bracket fine, but the fourth screw refuses to come out. I can't get a grip on it with any tool. I used an Allen wrench to remove all the other screws.

At first I thought it was a different type of screw, but after examining it more closely that's not the case. So... basically, WTF?

Edit: Okay, so I figured out it's a star screw. What size screwdriver do I need to remove it?
You need a T-10 (at least that's the tip currently on my multi-driver that I used to do my HD).

You can buy a full screwdriver kit with all the tips you need for these types of projects for under $20 at most computer specialty stores.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #109
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
You need a T-10 (at least that's the tip currently on my multi-driver that I used to do my HD).

You can buy a full screwdriver kit with all the tips you need for these types of projects for under $20 at most computer specialty stores.
Lowes or Home Depot also carry the torx bits as well.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #110
TracerBullet

Nice, thanks to both of you.

I'm actually surprised I've never encountered this before, although all of my previous mucking around was only with my PC.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:21 AM   #111
gespears

Success

Just wanted to add another data point. I just upgraded my Tivo HD to a 500 gig WD using WinMFS. All went well. It's very easy. I did not change the parameters on the WD 500 Gig, because I wanted to see if it would help the pixelation problems and partly because I don't know how to change the parameters (until reading all of this thread .) I did a backup of the original and saved it to my hard drive and then did a copy from the original drive to the new 500. I now have 70 hours of HD storage.

It took 30 minutes to do the copy with 39 % free space on the disk. So figure about an hour if the disk is full. I couldn't figure out how to really delete the programs in the trash folder. It tells me I don't need to delete them when I try to force their deletion, so I just copied them as well.

I also posted this on the WinMFS forum.

Gary
gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:03 AM   #112
bkdtv

I've seen a few people asking about torx screwdrivers.

Advance Auto Parts has the perfect torx screwdriver for the TivoHD. It has a relatively long shaft, fits the screws tightly, and has a magnetic end. It's just $4.18.

I no longer have the packaging, but the receipt says:

Star Driver T10 Ampro 9014713
T3226056310
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:49 AM   #113
holligl

Somewhat off track - but would this software back up an NTFS drive as well, or is it specifically oriented to a Linux / TiVo format. I typically buy barebones drives for computers, don't have SATA image software.
2x Comcast M-card, HDMI & Composite
holligl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:59 AM   #114
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gespears
Just wanted to add another data point. I just upgraded my Tivo HD to a 500 gig WD using WinMFS. All went well. It's very easy. I did not change the parameters on the WD 500 Gig, because I wanted to see if it would help the pixelation problems and partly because I don't know how to change the parameters (until reading all of this thread .) I did a backup of the original and saved it to my hard drive and then did a copy from the original drive to the new 500. I now have 70 hours of HD storage.

It took 30 minutes to do the copy with 39 % free space on the disk. So figure about an hour if the disk is full. I couldn't figure out how to really delete the programs in the trash folder. It tells me I don't need to delete them when I try to force their deletion, so I just copied them as well.

I also posted this on the WinMFS forum.

Gary
I see you used the SuperSize option. I just tried that last night. HAs there been any problems with that?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:12 AM   #115
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by holligl
Somewhat off track - but would this software back up an NTFS drive as well, or is it specifically oriented to a Linux / TiVo format. I typically buy barebones drives for computers, don't have SATA image software.
No WinMFS is disigned for Tivo only.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #116
sfhub

What does the supersize option actually do? Does it change the calculation of free space available for display purposes, or does it affect how data is recorded or how the filesystem is organized to result in actual increase in recording time?
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #117
TerryTT

I used a 750 seagate and had nothing but issues; does anyone know which WD or Hitachi model I should buy? probably just a 500gb.
TerryTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #118
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
What does the supersize option actually do? Does it change the calculation of free space available for display purposes, or does it affect how data is recorded or how the filesystem is organized to result in actual increase in recording time?
Spike might be able to answer that question if he's monitoring this thread.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #119
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryTT
I used a 750 seagate and had nothing but issues; does anyone know which WD or Hitachi model I should buy? probably just a 500gb.
What kind of issues? I think that Spike said that there were initially some problems with drive sizes over 500GB but I think that's been fixed.

Were the problems immediate or happen after you got more storage on the drive?

Certainly temperature considerations are something people need to take seriously when considering a larger drive. The Samsung Spinpoint drives are known to run much quieter and cooler than most other drives. Also drives that make use of perpendicular recording or that can have acoustic management, etc, turned on might run a little cooler.

There is an entire thread about drives that are recommended specifically for DVRs, drives like the Hitachi Cinemastar and Seagate DB35 series drives.

Finally if you are going to put a big hot drive in the Tivo you should consider how well ventilated the area you are going to put the unit in is.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #120
rainwater

Seagate SATA drives are usually optimized for performance. And since Seagates don't support acoustic management, you are going to have a loud drive unless you are using one of the DB35 drives. I definitely wouldn't use a Seagate unless it was a DB35 drive. Most of the newer TiVos comes with WD drives and I have found those to be quite stable but everyone's experience varies.