Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #451
TXTivoUser
Jeep Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock
Thanks! I tried looking in the user guide but the index didn't mention anything about tuner switching or even tuners.
Yup - it's my most favorite feature....that and dual buffers.
TXTivoUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:41 AM   #452
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
My S3 continues to record when there is a test. I just can't access any menus or change the channel during the test but both tuners continue to record during and after the test here.
That's supposed to be impossible. When an EAS message is sent, test or real, one of the tuners is required to jump to the channel with the message. I confirmed that behavior with TiVo when I confirmed with them that the unit does NOT do this while in Standby. (It is only required when it is possible someone is watching the output - since it doesn't have output in standby, it doesn't need to switch over.)

Have you actually seen an EAS alert and NOT had the channel change?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:54 AM   #453
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
That's supposed to be impossible. When an EAS message is sent, test or real, one of the tuners is required to jump to the channel with the message. I confirmed that behavior with TiVo when I confirmed with them that the unit does NOT do this while in Standby. (It is only required when it is possible someone is watching the output - since it doesn't have output in standby, it doesn't need to switch over.)

My S3 goes to the alert page (black & white text) then goes back to the original programming. recording is disrupted only for the time it is on the alert page. When watching the recording you can fast forward over the alert. It happened just this week for a tornado alert in Pittsburgh (Comcast).

It also does that for the "Required Test of the System" almost everyday during the morning while watching CNBC.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #454
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

The 3 times I was recording and watching, and alert popped up and I couldn't change the channel or tuner. When I went back to the recordings they were completely intact. The message being sent across the screen was just an overlay and wasn't in the recording. The recording was never interrupted.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #455
sfhub

Quote:
That's supposed to be impossible. When an EAS message is sent, test or real, one of the tuners is required to jump to the channel with the message.
What happens if the EAS message is delivered in-band on the channel you are watching? The tuner doesn't have to change then right?

IIRC the EAS is delivered with a separate PID and PVRs can choose to record it along with the audio and video streams. Then later on they can compare time stamps to figure out whether it makes sense to display on delayed playback.

I don't know how TiVo implements it, but as long as the tuner doesn't need to change channels, I don't see why TiVo couldn't continue recording the show.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #456
dipdewdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
The 3 times I was recording and watching, and alert popped up and I couldn't change the channel or tuner. When I went back to the recordings they were completely intact. The message being sent across the screen was just an overlay and wasn't in the recording. The recording was never interrupted.
It sounds like you have a Scientific Atlanta headend.

Scientific Atlanta and Motorola systems handle EAS alerts differently. Motorola STB and CableCARDs are forced to tune to an alert channel to display an EAS alert; S-A systems display the alert as an overlay and (IIRC) download the audio as a wav over the OOB data stream. I prefer S-A's method.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #457
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdewdog

Scientific Atlanta and Motorola systems handle EAS alerts differently. Motorola STB and CableCARDs are forced to tune to an alert channel to display an EAS alert; S-A systems display the alert as an overlay and (IIRC) download the audio as a wav over the OOB data stream. I prefer S-A's method.
Yes I think you are right. Cox in this area uses Motorola STB and headend equipment and both the cable company DVR and the Tivo are force tuned to the EAS interrupting any recordings (on both tuners). What's worse is they don't return to recording once the EAS completes. So certainly if I go out of town for a few days I leave my Tivos in standby mode to avoid potential interruptions.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #458
jrm01

Quote:

I have Comcast/Motorola and the alert is an overlay that does not disrupt channel assignment or recordings.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #459
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

The cable boxes and cable cards Comcast uses here are Scientific Atlanta.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #460
sfhub

I'm wondering if the behavior changes whether you are watching/recording encrypted or not-encrypted channels.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:51 PM   #461
aaronwt
HD Addict

On my S3 I was on encrypted channels when the test occurred.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:29 PM   #462
Langree
The Gimp

I just had an EAS test come accross on one of the tuners I happened to be on, neither tuner stopped recording.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #463
Langree
The Gimp

Comcrap tech was just here

moron

tried to tell me the Comcrap box is better then TiVo and how they are trying to steer away from Cablecards and how they never have issues with the company boxes

Anyway, the guy was a tool and had all the troubleshooting skills of a lemming.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #464
thepcdoc

Not for nothing but at this point my SA 8330HD is making my Tivo HD look like the Yugo of PVRs.
thepcdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:43 PM   #465
tootal2

I bought my tivo hd to record cbs hd

Charter does not have cbs hd anymore. So i got tivo hd to record it ota I think i will get rid of my charter dvr and just get a charter hd box. since most of the hd channels
on charter repeat the same shows all week. I wont be able to record hogan's heroes on hdnet anymore. but i got them all on dvd in my sony 400 dvd player.
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:23 AM   #466
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree
Comcrap tech was just here

moron

tried to tell me the Comcrap box is better then TiVo and how they are trying to steer away from Cablecards and how they never have issues with the company boxes

Anyway, the guy was a tool and had all the troubleshooting skills of a lemming.
He probably thought as charitably about you as you did about him.

I've found the Comcast techs around here to be professional, intelligent and hard-working.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:52 AM   #467
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
He probably thought as charitably about you as you did about him.

I've found the Comcast techs around here to be professional, intelligent and hard-working.
You know what, not his job to try and sell me on a Comcast box, it's his job to be a tech and well, do his job.

Also helpful if he actually knew what he was talking about and not just regurgitating the party line.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #468
bicker
Gruff

It is his job to do his job as his employer instructs him. Regardless, I've found the Comcast techs around here to be professional, intelligent and hard-working.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #469
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, but were they professional, intelligent and hard-working?
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #470
TerryTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
It is his job to do his job as his employer instructs him. Regardless, I've found the Comcast techs around here to be professional, intelligent and hard-working.
Youre lucky! its all sub contractors in my area... the guy who installed cable wasnt happy with the run he had to do and moaned the whole time (new house without cable) so I pulled the internal run through the wall for him using my own coax out of pity.

The guy installing cable cards argued with me that they werent for tivos.

My dish install was amazing compared but dish CSR are awful.

They get paid by the job, so it must suck when a 20 minute job takes 3 hrs.
TerryTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #471
kaczmar2

I've answered some of my own questions here, so I just thought I'd post to share the info.

I verified that the channels coming in on the analog trunk are coming in and being mapped by my CableCARD as digital channels (although with different channel numbers.) This happened when they previously installed the CableCARD in my TV.

So, it looks like it will be an easy setup: just don't connect the second trunk to anything, and all the channels I get will come though in digital (plus the broadcast channels in HD). I verifed this by tuning to the non-HD channels I have available to me in my lineup - all were coming through the QAM tuner in my TV.

Not bad since I am only paying for basic (analog) cable service, and Comcast doesn't charge a monthly rental fee for the CableCARD (outside of a nominal hookup fee.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaczmar2
I have Comcast cable and live in Royal Oak, MI. In my area, Comcast as a two-trunk (A+B) system - that is, I have two coax inputs. One trunk carries digital, one carries analog.

My current setup:

I have an HDTV with a CableCARD installed in the TV, but I only pay for analog service. Since Comcast is required to supply broadcast (ABC, CBS, NBC) HD channels, I get those for free by connecting the digital trunk of my cable to my TV, and I can see the broadcast channels, which are on a different input from my Series2 TiVo - so I can watch in HD, but not record it.

I have my Series2 TiVo connected to the analog trunk of my cable, so I can record all my channels in SD.

Clear as mud, right?

So my question is - can I get a TiVo HD to work with this mess? I don't want to buy an HD or digital tier package from Comcast - I'm fine with the only broadcast channels in HD, but I would like to get the HD DVR so I can record in HD on the broadcast channels, and SD everywhere else.

Does anyone have an HD TiVo running on a two-trunk cable system?

kaczmar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #472
DTSDude

Well, I'm on the bandwagon. Purchased my HD Tivo about a week ago, MCard was installed on Friday. Performed great over the weekend. I do get some very minor tiling on occasion but nothing that I can't live with.
DTSDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:31 PM   #473
PaulNEPats

Ehh I finally got my TivoHD up and running (somewhat, waiting on the tech to get a working cablecard for the 2nd slot), but the menus are slow as hell when it comes to loading. For all the pitfalls of the Comcast Moto DVR, it loaded menus a LOT faster. I'm new to Tivo, so maybe it's something I'll get used to with time.
PaulNEPats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:17 AM   #474
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNEPats
Ehh I finally got my TivoHD up and running (somewhat, waiting on the tech to get a working cablecard for the 2nd slot), but the menus are slow as hell when it comes to loading. For all the pitfalls of the Comcast Moto DVR, it loaded menus a LOT faster. I'm new to Tivo, so maybe it's something I'll get used to with time.
It will take a day or so for the initial data to index. After that, you should see things a bit faster.

In addition, there are UI performance improvements in the 8.3 branch of code (that the S3 has now, but the THD doesn't yet) that will make things faster.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:35 AM   #475
sammydee

I posted my positive install experience with Comcast San Jose in a couple of other threads. I'll summarize here by saying that Comcast, both the 800 number and the tech, knew exactly what they were doing wrt TiVo and cablecards and the installation went quickly and painlessly. I was amazed too!

...Sam
sammydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:41 AM   #476
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydee
I posted my positive install experience with Comcast San Jose in a couple of other threads. I'll summarize here by saying that Comcast, both the 800 number and the tech, knew exactly what they were doing wrt TiVo and cablecards and the installation went quickly and painlessly. I was amazed too!
That's the heart of Silicon Valley. I'd be much more amazed if an install by the local cable monopoly in Podunkville, Arkansas went as smoothly.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:26 AM   #477
andrews777

I have gotten the "grey screen hang" a couple of times on both of my Tivo HD units (both purchased within the last week or so). Rebooting fixed the problem.

Both auto-rebooted yesterday, something I guessed had to do with a software upgrade, but I am not certain.

Brad
andrews777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #478
doormat

I finally got around to getting my TiVo HD review up..

http://www.thetechlounge.com/article/447/TiVo+HD/

(mods: if its not the appropriate place to post reviews for the TiVo HD feel free to delete)
Old 10-28-2007, 02:04 PM   #479
Sandlapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNEPats
Don't worry, that's the kind of thing that can be fixed with software updates.
Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote