TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-10-2007, 12:16 AM   #91
Chimpware

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer
... Be explicit, succinct, thorough, and clear...
You my friend should be banned from using the word "succinct" when it relates to any posts on this forum
Chimpware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:05 AM   #92
lrhorer

Terse or Thorough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpware
You my friend should be banned from using the word "succinct" when it relates to any posts on this forum
I submit my posts are succinct. They are thorough and detailed, and as succinct as thoroughness combined with explicit detail will admit. After nearly 40 years of designing and troubleshooting electronics systems, it's reflexive.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:59 AM   #93
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Everyone who is experiencing an issue needs to be far more detailed and exacting in reporting it, or it possibly may never be resolved in a reasonable time. Be explicit, succinct, thorough, and clear.
I don't know what planet you're from, but I don't think it's Earth. We do things differently on Earth.

On Earth we can "report" our problems to a bunch of outsourced script monkeys (who will ask us if our box is plugged in and if we have rebooted it), or we can "report" our problems here.

Neither of which is likely to contribute much to having these problems fixed. But at least "reporting" them here makes us feel better. This forum is a support group for early adopters.

Sorry to be so cynical about it, but if TiVo really cared about our "reports", they would be responding in this forum. They would be publicly posting guidelines about what, how, and where to "report". Or they would be emailing us privately asking the same information. I have seen no indication that they have done either.

So far I think TiVo's attitude is something akin to: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

I'm upset because, in all likelihood, in a few weeks I'll have to cart off my TiVo HD to Circuit City and acknowledge to myself that my latest impulse purchase was a mistake. Then I'll be without an HD DVR for another year while I hope that TiVo can fix their problems.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:11 AM   #94
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin
Sorry to be so cynical about it, but if TiVo really cared about our "reports", they would be responding in this forum. They would be publicly posting guidelines about what, how, and where to "report". Or they would be emailing us privately asking the same information. I have seen no indication that they have done either.

So far I think TiVo's attitude is something akin to: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Which is why Tivo Pony has replied in this forum, Tivo has publicly stated that they are aware of the problem, and have already pushed a software release that fixed the problem for some folks (which has got to be a record, ask an S3 owner how long they had to wait for the "fall" update last year).

Sounds like a company that is doing everything that they can, to me. I'd much rather they spend their time working on a fix than posting about it on an internet forum.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #95
thewebgal

Just got the new TivoHD Aug 6. Ordered Cox to come install Cablecards - first trip they installed a pair of SA '06 cards - had problems with few channels on card 2. Second tech came last night - installed a pair of SA '07 cards. Now all the channels we pay for come in - but still has that pixelization problem on many channel. Maybe I'm fussy but I'd call it unwatchable when the picture pixelates or tears once or more a minute.

tech was very good checking splitters, replaced fittings, etc - finally connected a 100' test line from incoming line for the Tivo (inside the house) and fed it out to his truch a converter box and his test TV - no pixelization, no tearing, nada ...

COX tech says -6db is a fine level, shows me a good picture on his box with even less (through the 100 test cable etc)

It looks to me like the TIVO box doesn't handle the signal as well - and its starting to look like my only choice is to ship the TIVO (and wireless adapter) back for a full refund and get a cable DVR -= and i HATE to give COX any more of my money a month ... but I also won't pay for something that flat doesn't work right.

FIOS says they are a year away from our home ... sigh.

Any more ideas?
thewebgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #96
Chimpware

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies!
Which is why Tivo Pony has replied in this forum, Tivo has publicly stated that they are aware of the problem, and have already pushed a software release that fixed the problem for some folks (which has got to be a record, ask an S3 owner how long they had to wait for the "fall" update last year).

Sounds like a company that is doing everything that they can, to me. I'd much rather they spend their time working on a fix than posting about it on an internet forum.
Couple of points;

1. While Tivo Pony's response was nice to get it did not address the issue, only vaguely said thay are aware some people are having issues and are working on it. It did not request any detailed troublshooting information, nor offer any real advice.

2. Amazing people are basically willing to applaud Tivo for fixing an issue quickly. It is ridiculous, the unit did not work as shipped with SA SCard in Slot 2 so they fixed it. Fine, should not have had the issue in the first place IMHO. No kudos for this.

3. I am tired of reading, "Get in line this has been a probelm for S3 owners for a while" and "ask an S3 owner how long they have had to wait..." If people that bought the S3 at its ridiculous price, have this issue and it was not remedied quickly they got what they deserved and obviously made the choice to keep a product that did not function properly. This will not be my choice, if this is not fixed within the 30 days I have beore I can return it to CC it is going back and I am canceling my subscription. Why, simply because they are not delivering the value proposition I am paying for, simple as that.

4. They are not communicating consistently, or enough in my opinion. If people have a case open with their engineering department I would like updates that go beyond 1 call back in a 2 week period that simple says "We are working on it". Not everyone in the company is troubleshooting this issue so to say "I woulod rather they work on the fix, than posting on a forum" is ludicrous. Do you think their market communication, or marketing department is working on a fix???

Ah well, done venting for now...
Old 08-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #97
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpware
Couple of points;

1. While Tivo Pony's response was nice to get it did not address the issue, only vaguely said thay are aware some people are having issues and are working on it. It did not request any detailed troublshooting information, nor offer any real advice.
Tivo reads this forum and they have beta testers to test fixes.

The know about the problem and are working to fix it. What else do you expect them to communicate? Nothing is going to help until they fix the software.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #98
Chimpware

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Tivo reads this forum and they have beta testers to test fixes.

The know about the problem and are working to fix it. What else do you expect them to communicate? Nothing is going to help until they fix the software.
Well here are some possible thoughts:

1. We can replicate the issue in our lab.
2. It is software related and not hardware related.
3. It is a Tivo issue so those having it please do not troubleshoot further with your cable companies regarding cable card or signal issues.
4. We have a beta of the fix completed and in our lab it does remedy the issue.

Just some thoughts since you asked. Basically any update on progress as well as some detail about the source of the issue would be helpful.

As an aside if the problem were with their billing system software / hardware and as many people as have pixelation issues were not being billed monthly for service how quick do people think that would be fixed??? I seriously doubt this would last longer than 1 week.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #99
jmpage2

If Tivo is like most "software" companies they have programmers all over the world and it takes a lot of time to investigate issues and provide fixes for them.

On the other hand I would be surprised if they did not see this in Beta testing. I am getting the feeling that we've ALL seen this to some degree.

I did not think that the problem was really noticeable until we watched a movie last night and saw the problem happen quite frequently. Interestingly enough sometimes it will show up in the same spot if I rewind the feed, other times it won't be there when replayed from the buffer. Also as previously reported the problem sometimes happens in the Tivo menus which should have nothing to do with the signal at all, unless the menu is superimposed over a "null" image that is still part of the signal feed.

This would indicate that;

1. There is more than one source for this problem.

2. Tivo knew about this problem when they shipped the box and shipped anyways.

Those of you saying "it's not a big problem" are seriously living in fantasy land. Tivo is the highest priced mass market DVR product that is available today and the core functionality for playing back error free video is a requirement for that market.

As Chimp says, for those of you saying you've had this problem for months with your S3 and are still awaiting a fix, I'd say that you were foolish to keep a box that obviously doesn't work.

I will continue to evaluate for the remainder of my 30 day return policy and if Tivo does not fix the issues it is going back. My wife, who was really excited to get the Tivo asked me last night "why doesn't this work as well as our Comcast box?" and "how much did we pay for this again?". Certainly not getting high marks on the Wife Approval Factor won't be helping Tivo sell too many of these.

Maybe thousands of returned boxes stacking up with retailers will get the executives at Tivo to devote the necessary resources to fix this problem.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #100
TiVoDoughBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Those of you saying "it's not a big problem" are seriously living in fantasy land. Tivo is the highest priced mass market DVR product that is available today and the core functionality for playing back error free video is a requirement for that market.
What is the deal with this sort of response? It's not the first I've seen it with respect to the pixelation issue and I'm certain it won't be the last. But really, how is it living in a "fantasy land" for an individual say that, to them, it's not a big problem? If it's a problem for you and those of you who post these kinds of replies, that's fine, I completely understand how plenty of people have an issue with it.

At the same time, however, there are many people for whom the issue, while not something they'd choose, is absolutely better than any of the alternatives. My own situation is that I moved to a plasma HD set last winter -- I purposely got one witth CableCard because I hate Comcast's Motorola cable boxes and didn't want/need one. The downside of going to HD, box or not, was that I had a pair of Series2 units and the SD recording just looked really bad on my HD set. So, given that (1) I didn't want a cable box, (2) loved my TiVo's (4 different units back to my original Philips first-generation box), and (3) really wanted my TiVo to be in HD, when the TiVo HD box shipped, I picked one up the day my local Circuit City had them in. And yeah, for me, even with the very intermittent pixelation, it's a better situation -- and I lost MRV and TTG on that unit, too! But, knowing TiVo's track record over the years, when there are issues like this, they are typically fixed. It may be a couple of months, sure, but it's still an improvement. Plus if I have MRV by the end of the year as they say is coming, then so much the better. If I for a second thought that the pixelation problem was permanent, my story might well be different.

So I'll probably get a nice flame for being some sort of moron who is living in a "fantasy land", but it's my $300 I spent and I'm happy with it. If you're not satisfied with yours, then great, I can respect and understand that. Return it and make your point to TiVo, but leave me and those like me out of it and let's get back to the conversation of what can be done to get to a resolution sooner rather than later and leave the rest of the "fantasy land" comments out of it.

Best,
J

P.S. My wife, too, asked me, "you spent how much?" on it when I first came home with it, but after a very smooth M-Card installation, she's also very happy with the improvements.

2 x TiVo HD (+ 500-GB My DVR Expander)
TiVo Series2 DT 80-hour (retired)
2 x TiVo Series2 40-hour (retired)
Philips TiVo Series1 80-hour (retired)
TiVoDoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #101
jmpage2

You are a long time Tivo lover and so it seems that you are willing to live with a less than perfect experience because you like Tivo.

I get that.

However, try looking at it from another point of view. Tivo is trying to woo people who already have a cable company DVR to turn in that DVR and get a cable card equipped Tivo HD to replace it.

This group of people who Tivo hopes will buy large numbers of their boxes need to see the value in Tivo. These people don't know how long it will take Tivo to fix these problems (apparently the S3 owners have been living with pixelation issues for almost a year now) and I doubt many of them will trade a "marginal" cable company DVR experience for a Tivo experience that isn't any better.

I think that many people who have been fans of Tivo for a long time simply refuse to accept this reality, instead insisting that those of us who were "ok" with our cable company DVRs are the delusional ones.

I can tell you this much;

1. Our Tivo HD is incredibly slow to change channels.

2. Our Tivo HD has dirt slow menus.

3. Our Tivo HD has pixelation on channels with 100% signal strength.

4. Our Tivo HD has locked up completely once already requiring a hard reboot.

For all the great things that Tivo does (and yes, I used to have Tivo) these things are deal breakers for me and probably other folks as well. Additionally, while the cable company DVR had some issues of its own (the occassional show didn't record which is a big problem too) it didn't have ANY of the above problems.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #102
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
I submit my posts are succinct. They are thorough and detailed, and as succinct as thoroughness combined with explicit detail will admit. After nearly 40 years of designing and troubleshooting electronics systems, it's reflexive.
You ramble...allow me to help:
"My posts are succinct."
Old 08-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #103
calaban9

Testing and rates of recording...

I plan on doing a little more testing tonight, (I just discovered this thread) but i think i saw the pixelation occuring more frequently if the other tuner was recording HD.... if that's the case it may be a cpu / io thing and could possibly be fixed with a software update. Anybody else want see if the see rates of pixelation changing depending on types of signals being recorded?
calaban9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #104
djmuoio

More data collection

I'm posting to add another "yep I see macroblocking too" to the tally. Here is my info and observations thus far.

We got the Tivo HD a couple of days ago. I spent the first evening getting it set up and forcing an update the get the latest software. I then spent about an hour watching tv and playing with it. This first evening was _without_ any cable cards so I was limited to analog channels.

During that evening I did not experience any macroblocking or odd behavior. I felt that the responsiveness of the unit was very good and the menus were pretty fast to display.

The next day I picked up two cable cards from the Comcast cable store. Both were single stream Motorola cards. That evening I spent about 1/2 on the phone with Comcast tech support to get the cards activated (paired). I had considerable problems getting slot 2 to work, but the tech suggested that I leave it in for a while and see if it starts working before swapping out.

After resetting up the unit and rebooting, the second card started working. I then started watching some of the HD and digitial channels. At this point I really noticed the unit was slower than before. Menus took longer to come up and it took longer to change channels. It now displays a blank screen with a large blocky white area at the bottom during the channel change.

I am also experiencing the macroblocking issue. So far it seems to occur in the HD channels AND in the menus. For me this pixelation occurs in the lower 3rd of the screen. I also get audio dropouts.

I am pretty confident that signal strength is not an issue because this Tivo unit replaces a Comcast Motorola DVR and we never had issues with the Comcast box.

I am displaying on a 16:9 plasma and have the TV format set as such. I am running the 720p hybrid mode, and the setting that preserves the aspect ratio.

We'll keep using it for now and see how it goes. Right now it happens often enough that is beyond the mildly annoying stage.
djmuoio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #105
flyacl

To add to my previous post, I called Tivo yesterday to report my pixelation problem. 24 minutes of waiting to speak to someone. Once I did get through they immediately said it was "A knows issue they are currently working on". When I asked about some sort of time line she did not have one.

Just FYI ~ Take care~
flyacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #106
lavinah

I think it's funny how much these 'pixelation' problems are making TiVo to be the worst product ever. Please.

My HD TiVo is great. Yes, I have pixelation issues - less then I ever had with the Motorola HD DVR. Yes, the cable card installation was a PAIN IN THE A**... is that TiVo's fault, or Comcast's dipsh*t tech support?

I don't know about anyone else, but my 3 different Motorola HD DVRs all exhibited the same recurring problems:

Random freezeups, even with overly adequate ventilation (and added cooling)
Slow menus with inconsistent responses
randomly reordering my 'to be recorded' programs
changing what's to be recorded, ie: the 92 episodes of top chef each week that i manually delete and adding them back in.
oh... and pixelization.

so, in exchange, i get TiVo. it gives me a BEVY of features that the Motorola HD DVR does not, but two problems.
pixelization - which I had already.
slow menus

sounds like a good trade for me. further, i have confidence that TiVo will actually fix their problems... unlike Comcast that thinks their product is great and wonders why people mind having to unplug and hard reboot them every week.
lavinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #107
chicodoggy

Having same pixilation problem but seems to be worse on 2nd tuner than 1st. Hope they fix it soon because my Cox rep here in AZ told me they would have TIVO software on their boxes by the end of the year! I just wonder if they will charge a Tivo subscription for that.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #108
TiVoDoughBoy

Quote:
You are a long time Tivo lover and so it seems that you are willing to live with a less than perfect experience because you like Tivo.

I get that.

However, try looking at it from another point of view.
Fair enough. As I've said, I can completely understand your frustration. And I don't know about the "original" Series3, but if I had paid $800 for one of those puppies back when they first came to market and had even a minor pixelation problem for a year, I'd probably be more up in arms than I am about my TiVo HD.

The new product makes it much more affordable and I personally would rather have it now with a few minor (to me) issues, with hopefully some fixes later in the fall than still be watching only "live" HD or recording only basic cable with my Series2. And call me crazy, but I never never liked cable boxes -- even back when I was a kid and bought my own first TV around the time "cable ready" was the hot thing to have, I went right for it. Frankly, the fall TV season will be starting up soon and I'd prefer to by TiVo'ing in HD rather than SD or whatever Comcast has to offer.

2 x TiVo HD (+ 500-GB My DVR Expander)
TiVo Series2 DT 80-hour (retired)
2 x TiVo Series2 40-hour (retired)
Philips TiVo Series1 80-hour (retired)
TiVoDoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #109
mike_camden

Quote:
I think it really depends on how severe it is. I agree with your statement that it seems like there are multiple things going on that may be causing this.

I've watched about five hours of programming on my TivoHD since the cable cards were finally fixed on Thursday evening. Some of that has been recorded content and some has been live.

A few observations:
1. What I'm seeing isn't a big deal to me. I see a very slight pixelation issue maybe once every 7 - 10 minutes. It is very minor and usually happens in the same part of the screen (bottom). When I rewind, I often don't see these in the same place they were before, which makes me think that there is smething going on with the CPU or other components being overtaxed causing this anomaly, but I'm a hardware guy, not a software one, so I might be in left field.
2. In the five hours I've watched, I've only seen one distracting pixelation event occur (during a Nat'l Geographic Channel program that I was watching live). When this happened I received a full screen pixelation, followed a couple of seconds later with another one and an audio drop. This was very similar to what I saw on occasion with my Comcast/Moto DVR, so I think that issue can be attributed to signal or somethign utside of the Tivo.
3. I do see pixelation in the menus on occasion. I see this most frequenttly when I sem to be "taxing" the system (multiple tasks very quickly, being impatient because I'm used to the responsiveness of the Series 2).

All that being said, as widespread as this issue seems to be, I do agree with you that it could be a significant problem for Tivo if more people are seeing issues like you and some others instead of the minor ones I've experienced. This is a mass market device, which is geared towards the upper end of Joe Six Pack. It's not aimed at the Tivo faithful, who are brand loyal and willing to give them time to get it working, like the Series 3 was. The market this time expects to plug it in and have it work. Already a nightmare with the cable companies dropping the ball on many, many installations (which many people will blame Tivo for since that is what many of their cable company reps are telling them). To have this on top of that could be very problematic for Tivo as a company.
mike_camden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #110
coreyt

I now have pixelation as well. N Texas FIOS, 2 Moto Cable Cards. I am getting it in the menu's as well.

Strangely it's not as often or as bad as other people are claiming. I get about a inch wide bar across 2/3 of the screen on shows maybe once or twice in a hour and sometimes the lower right corner of the menus there's a large 1 foot area that goes crazy for a second and straightens up. Not often but I have seen it.

I've completely stressed the unit, setup downloads, told it to record 2 HD streams at once while at the same time zipping back and forth in a pre recorded HD stream and doing any number of things and both recorded streams never recorded pixelation in the times I was forcing it to do other things.

This is using Component. I'm thinking of checking out if the problem exists on HDMI as well.
coreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #111
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyt
I now have pixelation as well. N Texas FIOS, 2 Moto Cable Cards. I am getting it in the menu's as well.

Strangely it's not as often or as bad as other people are claiming. I get about a inch wide bar across 2/3 of the screen on shows maybe once or twice in a hour and sometimes the lower right corner of the menus there's a large 1 foot area that goes crazy for a second and straightens up. Not often but I have seen it.

I've completely stressed the unit, setup downloads, told it to record 2 HD streams at once while at the same time zipping back and forth in a pre recorded HD stream and doing any number of things and both recorded streams never recorded pixelation in the times I was forcing it to do other things.

This is using Component. I'm thinking of checking out if the problem exists on HDMI as well.
It happens on HDMI as well.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #112
randymac88

My pixelation seems to be reasonable. Certainly not an acceptable level for a $300 product (the "Bentley" of DVRs), but it's watchable. However I have also noticed some Audio issues with the pixelation as well...not sure what others have seen, but from time to time I'm getting random pops here and there.
randymac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:12 PM   #113
lrhorer

Troubleshooting

Quote:
I don't know what planet you're from, but I don't think it's Earth. We do things differently on Earth.
My planet of origin is not relevant to this discussion. My experience is. I am an engineer with over 30 years of troubleshooting experience in electronics in general and video in particular, and I am telling you what stands the best chance of getting to the bottom of these issues.

Quote:
On Earth we can "report" our problems to a bunch of outsourced script monkeys (who will ask us if our box is plugged in and if we have rebooted it), or we can "report" our problems here.
True, but in neither case will inaccurate, misleading, and incomplete reports help get the problems resolved. Indeed, they at worst hinder the process. At best, they are a waste of everyone's time.

Quote:
Neither of which is likely to contribute much to having these problems fixed. But at least "reporting" them here makes us feel better.
If feeling better is your objective, I suggest you see a therapist. Don't waste my time or TiVo's engineering staff. If you want the problem fixed, then be accurate and thorough in you own troubleshooting and in describing the symptoms to those of us who may be of assistance, including any members of TiVo's engineering staff. (No, I can't be a great deal of assistance with this, other than to form an opinion of where a particular issue has its roots.)

Quote:
This forum is a support group for early adopters.
This forum is for whomever wants to read it, but it focuses on those who love TiVo, hate TiVo, or are interested in possibly purchasing a TiVo.

Quote:
Sorry to be so cynical about it, but if TiVo really cared about our "reports", they would be responding in this forum.
There are very strict limits to what an official representative of a company can post. There are extremely strict limits to what an unofficial representative of a company can post.

That said, TiVo's technical support system needs a huge amount of improvement.

Quote:
They would be publicly posting guidelines about what, how, and where to "report". Or they would be emailing us privately asking the same information. I have seen no indication that they have done either.
Have you ever seen Microsoft do this? IBM? Dell? Mitsubishi? Sony? DirecTV? Dish TV? Any even moderately large corporation?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #114
lrhorer

S3 Woes

Quote:
If Tivo is like most "software" companies they have programmers all over the world and it takes a lot of time to investigate issues and provide fixes for them.
That just depends. At work we are in the middle of two big software conversions. One is from a company called NetCracker, whose developers are mostly in Moscow. We rarely see a response from them the same day, because they are usually asleep when we find a problem, but we usually expect to get a response the next day. Bug fixes usually take between several days and several weeks.

The other software suite is provided by Nortel, formerly the largest telephony and telecommunications equipment and software manufacturer in the world. Some of our reported bugs have taken literally years to fix.

Quote:
As Chimp says, for those of you saying you've had this problem for months with your S3 and are still awaiting a fix, I'd say that you were foolish to keep a box that obviously doesn't work.
I am not waiting for a fix. It's hard to know whether others are experienceing the same problems as I, or not. Recent posts suggest perhaps not. I have been experienceing the problems I have since 1988, long before the TiVo was even conceived. I experience the same issues right now on a seven year old Series I attached to a Pace HD Terminal, and I experienced the same problem years ago with a Zenith Z-View converter and a year ago with a Scientific Atlanta 8300-HD DVR. Explain to me again why I should blame TiVo for this problem or demand they fix it?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:20 PM   #115
jmpage2

Quote:
That just depends. At work we are in the middle of two big software conversions. One is from a company called NetCracker, whose developers are mostly in Moscow. We rarely see a response from them the same day, because they are usually asleep when we find a problem, but we usually expect to get a response the next day. Bug fixes usually take between several days and several weeks.

The other software suite is provided by Nortel, formerly the largest telephony and telecommunications equipment and software manufacturer in the world. Some of our reported bugs have taken literally years to fix.

I am not waiting for a fix. It's hard to know whether others are experienceing the same problems as I, or not. Recent posts suggest perhaps not. I have been experienceing the problems I have since 1988, long before the TiVo was even conceived. I experience the same issues right now on a seven year old Series I attached to a Pace HD Terminal, and I experienced the same problem years ago with a Zenith Z-View converter and a year ago with a Scientific Atlanta 8300-HD DVR. Explain to me again why I should blame TiVo for this problem or demand they fix it?
What's your point about how long software fixes take? I happen to work for one of Nortel's biggest competitors and I'm pretty familiar with how long it takes to fix software. Typically fixing the problem is one thing, testing and releasing to production is another thing entirely.

Pixelation in Tivo menus shouldn't have a thing to do with cable signal strength. I've also noticed some weird pixelation problems where things like actors heads go completely macroblocked for a second or there is a macroblock smear across the bottom 1/3 of the screen. Neither of which I've ever seen from my cable boxes on the same feed as the Tivo HD.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:11 AM   #116
thepcdoc

I am about to throw in the towel myself and return my box. I spent a lot of money having the cable company come out and replace cable cards when Tivo knew there was an issue with the second slot and didn't fess to it. I spent $300 on a box that performs worse then my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. The Tivo zombies on this thread who keep saying the pixelation is not that bad any they can live with, have fun. Try to watch a foreign film with subtitles and you miss the dialog every minute or so. To invest a large sum of money into a HiDef setup only to make it look so crappy with this box is not worth it.

FYI

1.) Cablevision
2.) SA Cable Cards
3.) HDMI
4.) Pixelation / Macroblocking on Live and recorded shows (Too many, too frequent to count)
5.) Pixelation on Menu Screens

Basically a worthless and unusable device.
thepcdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #117
mitomac

macroblocking and SA cards

Greetings,

We've had the tivoHD for about a week now. Bad macroblocking on all channels (analog,digital, HD, premium) - every 15-30s. Initially I suspected the signal level as it was only 70%. TWC came out and rewired everything including the groud line. Signal is now 93-100% but the pixelation is still there. Unwatchable.

I called tivo and the CSR was aware of the problem. They wanted to know if I was also experiencing macroblocking *without* the cards.

So I did the following:

NO SA cable cards -- tuned analog, no macroblocking
1 SA card -- tuned digital, macroblocking
1 SA card -- tuned analog, no macroblocking
2 SA cards -- both tuned digital, macroblocking on both
2 SA cards -- 1 tuned digital and 1 tuned analog, macroblocking on both
2 SA cards -- both tuned analog, no macroblocking

My conclusion is that there is a problem with tivohd and the cable cards. If one CC is tuning(decrypting) a digital chanel, macroblocking will occur on both tuners regardless of whether they are digital or analog and occasionally the menu.

The money question though, is this a tivohd defect or a cc defect? Right now I'm stuck on what to do -- return the the box for a new one and have to pay TWC another $86 to repair the cards. Return the box, go back to TWC, and count my initial $86 dollar card install a complete loss. Argh.

I want to believe in tivo and hate the cable monoplies as much as the next guy, but right now I am down $86 dollars for the CC install, out 6 hours of my time waiting on cable techs, and probaly an additonal 8 hours troubleshooting this problem and reading the forums. My time is more valuable than this.

mitomac
mitomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #118
LowFuel

Just adding another datapoint.

- Time Warner (San Diego area)
- 2 Sci-Atlanta cable cards
- Pixelation every 10 to 20 seconds, bottom half of the frame gets corrupt. Much worse/frequent on HD channels.
- Also just had a problem where all digital channels now just show me a gray screen (will look for separate threads on this issue - powered off and re-seated cable cards, still happening).

All in all I'd say I'm pretty disappointed. It's been about 3 years since I had a Tivo, and I was VERY excited to finally get one that would give me the functionality of an 8300HD, but with all the Tivo goodness.

As it is, I can't settle for the current performance of the Tivo. I will try to give them 2 or 3 weeks to get things fixed, but I'll definitely be returning mine if things dont improve and fast.
The 8300HD was plugged into the exact same cable and worked perfectly for almost a year.
LowFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #119
jmpage2

We need to add a poll to this thread to gather more data.

Cable cards or no cable cards. SA or Moto cable cards. Etc.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #120
LowFuel

Agreed 100%!!
LowFuel is offline   Reply With Quote