Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #61
Toeside
Circa Dec 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2
will it look as good as my hdtv tuner? I guess it should. Its going to nice to get rid
of the cable company DVR

There are other factors--like the scaler involved, but it should be pretty much the same.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #62
dvr4me

I've updated the faq to include information on SD digital recordings.

Based on my testing, an SD digital channel recording will consume about 1.6 gigabytes of hard drive space per hour netting you about 100 hours of SD digital recordings. Of course that all depends on how much the signal is already compressed before being sent. But since it's aleady in a digital format there is no quality loss due to compression at the TiVo as there would be when recording an SD analog channel.

Just a reminder that if you have any suggestions for the FAQ, send me a private message.
dvr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:41 AM   #63
dvr4me

Updated the FAQ to include information on the new software revision.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #64
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Can this be a sticky?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #65
peteypete

Here's a dumb question. Is it available now? (Aug 07). Amazon is still preorder but it looks like you can get it now from tivo.com or bestbuy or circuit city.

Why is Amazon showing an Aug 25 release date. Are they giving the big box retailers a head start?
peteypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #66
jordanz
A is A

FYI - Multi-room Viewing and Tivo-to-Go ARE available on the Tivo HD. I don't know why the FAQ says they're not. I haven't connected two Tivos yet. But, if you go to http://www.tivo.com/guides and look up the Home Media Features Guide, it says that it can do it.

jordanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #67
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypete
Here's a dumb question. Is it available now? (Aug 07). Amazon is still preorder but it looks like you can get it now from tivo.com or bestbuy or circuit city.

Why is Amazon showing an Aug 25 release date. Are they giving the big box retailers a head start?
Many times Amazon is just a "go between" who sells on the behalf of a distributor, etc.

It's entirely possible that big box stores like BB, CC and others made a large enough ordering commitment that they have received the initial allocation of units.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #68
Dogen

No they're not. Supposedly ToGo is going to be available later this year, and I have heard the same rumors about MRV, but as of now they don't work since they lack approval from CableLabs.
Dogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #69
jordanz
A is A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogen
No they're not. Supposedly ToGo is going to be available later this year, and I have heard the same rumors about MRV, but as of now they don't work since they lack approval from CableLabs.
Wow - then I think Tivo is being a bit misleading on their website. The FAQ says one thing, but the manual in the box says another. From the manual:

Quote:
Consult the Home Media Featurs Guide at www.tivo.com/guides ...
So, I did consult it. On Page 1, it says:

Quote:
Multi-Room Viewing — Record programs in the living room and watch
them in the bedroom, or vice versa.

jordanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #70
jmpage2

If you look at the front page of the guide it says "Series 2 and Series 3" so if the guide doesn't differentiate between the two for home media capabilities, shame on Tivo.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #71
dvr4me

Updated the FAQ (verified working links, verified the information provided on Tivo.com, changed formatting slightly to more coincide with the information format on Tivo.com, added cut & paste disclaimer).

Just a quick comment on how I am currently using my TiVo HD:

- No cablecards (yet). Using basic/expanded basic analog cable
- Using OTA antenna for HD reception

Thus far my TiVo has been performing very well and I am very pleased with my transition from DirecTivo satellite to standalone TiVo HD with analog basic and OTA HD.

I do need to greatly improve my antenna for OTA HD though. My signal strength ranges between 55ish up to 95ish depending on the station, the weather, planetary alignment, etc. However, I'm about 22 miles from the towers, below a hill, with two 150 foot trees in the way... so I'm not surprised. I'm using a cheap $30 Radio Shack outdoor UHF antenna on a stubby 18 inch mast (hehe, I took off the Directv dish and just mounted the antenna to the existing J-mount). I'm sure it will improve if I setup a 10 foot mast with a better antenna.

Just a reminder that if you have any suggestions for content, let me know.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:28 PM   #72
jfh3

May want to update the release level:

What is the current software revision?

8.1.7B2-01-2-652, introduced 08/16/2007.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:53 PM   #73
dvr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
May want to update the release level:

What is the current software revision?

8.1.7B2-01-2-652, introduced 08/16/2007.
Doh! Thanks Jfh3. Updated.

Also updated information and references for hard drive upgrading.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:31 PM   #74
Tarik

I am a little confused. I have a series 2 tivo box and HD cable box with HD services like TNTHD, DSC theater and all that good stuff plus the digital choice channels. Would tivo HD replace my HD Cable box and still receive the above services?
sorry for the dumb question
Tarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #75
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik
I am a little confused. I have a series 2 tivo box and HD cable box with HD services like TNTHD, DSC theater and all that good stuff plus the digital choice channels. Would tivo HD replace my HD Cable box and still receive the above services?
sorry for the dumb question
Yes, you'd have the Tivo HD, and one M-card or two S-card digital cable cards that you would need to rent from your local provider.

The Tivo HD would tune and record analog/digital/HD stations via Cable Card or with the over the air antenna connection (or both).

You would not have a seperate cable box connected to the Tivo HD.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #76
Tarik

it does answer my question thank you very much. One more thing, Do I need to buy another monthly subscription fee or can I just use the one I have for series 2?
Tarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:45 AM   #77
jrm01

You should be able to transfer the subscription if you are going to discontinue use on the S2, otherwise you would be eligible for $6 discount on the second Tivo.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #78
TokyoShoe
Frustrated TiVoHD'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
If you look at the front page of the guide it says "Series 2 and Series 3" so if the guide doesn't differentiate between the two for home media capabilities, shame on Tivo.
I went through this same issue. They don't differentiate in the guide regarding Series 2 and Series 3 available features. They just state that the guide covers Series 2 and 3, and then list out a bunch of features that are "available". It took me coming to the forums and posting before I found out that MRV and TTG were not active on TiVoHD's yet. Heck even if you read just the unit's manual there are one or two severely misleading statements in there are well.

I think Tivo Inc. really needs to rework their guides and materials , make some Series 3 specific guides and manuals.
TokyoShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #79
mwhip
All better

Question about TiVo HD...

If you do antenna only can you record two things at once?

If you do antenna and cable card (SD) can you record and SD and HD OTA at the same time.

I know these are probably dumb but I have searched and do not see the answer.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:28 PM   #80
lickwid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip
Question about TiVo HD...

If you do antenna only can you record two things at once?

If you do antenna and cable card (SD) can you record and SD and HD OTA at the same time.

I know these are probably dumb but I have searched and do not see the answer.
If you have an OTA antenna hooked up, you can record two channels at once with that. There is an internal splitter that splits the signal. If you have cablecard hooked up, you can also record 2 channels with that. It should also work in any combination of the two.
lickwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #81
RFDuncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph005 View Post
Quote:
Can I use any wireless network adapter on my TiVo HD box?

No, only the TiVo Wireless G Network Adapter allows a wireless connection to your home network.
Anyone know how true this is? Is this a requirement shared with all S3 boxes, or just the new HD one?

Already have a cheapo Linksys usb adapter running on my S2 box. Not looking forward to buying a Tivo branded adapter, especially since I can't even do transfers between boxes.
Sorry to post this WAY after your question, but for the record, this is not true. I was able to utilize a "decomissioned" game adapter from my Gamecube - the Linksys WGA11B Wireless-B Game Adapter. It connected fine, and I have been downloading software patches and Unbox programming wirelessly since last August. So there ARE wireless adapters out there that work...
RFDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #82
Brian G.

Can one effectively only use a single CableCARD (S-Card) in your TiVo HD? The short answer is yes, but you lose all dual tuner capability, which is a real bummer.

For some reason I assumed that using a single CableCARD would limit me to 1-tuner recording the QAM from the cable provider and the other tuner could happily record OTA content from the antennae. Doesn't work that way. You need 2 S-Cards, 1 M-Card or none to get the dual tuners to actually work.

Brian G.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote