Forum Jump

Old 08-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
GoldenTiger
Tivo Pony =)!

News on the pixelation issue fix for TiVo HD

According to another forum member:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpware
OK, just got a call back from Dave at Tivo Tech. Support, supposedly the level that acts as go between for customers and engineering, as my issue regarding pixelation was escalated to engineering.

Here is whats I was told:

1. 8.17b was meant to fix slot 2 issues as well as a large portion of people's issues related to pixelation. When I told him this was not the case from what I have been reading on the TivoCommunity forum, he said he also is having the same issue on his personal Tivo HD, but views it as more of an annoyance than a big issue. I told him that in my opinion what is the point of having an HD device that has poor picture quality, when you could have an SD device with no pixelation, or a cable supplied box that works correctly? To this he agreed.

2. He claimed they are working on a further update aimed at repairing this issue. When I asked what the ETA was he said he did not have one, but expected it to be in the next month or 2. When I told him most of us were working on a 30 day return window, he said he would pass that along, but was not hopeful.

So it looks like from what I was told today many of us will be returning our Tivo HD units in the next few week.

Looks like a disaster... I have it happen approximately 12-15 times every 10 minutes, and while I'm a huge TiVo fan, this is absurd. I may be returning my $300 3-year TiVo service and $260 (on the circuit city deal) TiVo HD box shortly. Clock's ticking, TiVo...
GoldenTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Chimpware

Thanks for that. I opened this up to read the news only to see my own post.
Chimpware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
GoldenTiger
Tivo Pony =)!

LOL, sorry, just was trying to make your (very good) info more visible .
Old 08-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #4
tgmii

30 day window

I'll be escalating too. I'm waiting until cablevision rewires the outside of my house, which will make the signal as good as it can get. I've been playing around with splitters today, and adding an additional leg causes much more pixelation, so I'm hoping that if they dramatically improve the signal (is at 93 now.. by tivo's screen), it will go away.

I find no pixelation acceptable. I agree with the other statement made, I'd rather stick with my series2 with no pixelation than trying to watch with pixelation.

There is a very real possibility that if this doesn't improve it will go back.

> 30 days is not acceptable. Again, hoping the marginal signal (ok for cable box, not for TivoHD) is the problem.

Tom
tgmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
Chimpware

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmii
I'll be escalating too. I'm waiting until cablevision rewires the outside of my house, which will make the signal as good as it can get. I've been playing around with splitters today, and adding an additional leg causes much more pixelation, so I'm hoping that if they dramatically improve the signal (is at 93 now.. by tivo's screen), it will go away.

I find no pixelation acceptable. I agree with the other statement made, I'd rather stick with my series2 with no pixelation than trying to watch with pixelation.

> 30 days is not acceptable. Again, hoping the marginal signal (ok for cable box, not for TivoHD) is the problem.

Tom
I sincerely hope this remedies the problem for you, but do not have high hopes. I can tell you from my time troubleshooting that pixelation occurs on stations that I have a signal strength of 100 on the Tivo meter, although I think it is less than stations I have lower signal strength on.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
hddude55

You people are sure impatient. Series 3 owners have been waiting for a pixelation fix for a year. Get in line!
hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55
You people are sure impatient. Series 3 owners have been waiting for a pixelation fix for a year. Get in line!
LOL!!!! Sad but true.....
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
gwsat

For reasons I can’t explain, my S3’s audio dropout and pixelizing video problems are a lot less frequent these days than they were for awhile. I hope this is a trend.
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmii

Tom
I don't think this problem is only signal level as I have not observed any pixelation with the signal meter at 43. For about 1/2 sec I saw some pixelation once on the TiVo menu (other have also) and this sure has nothing to do with signal level.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #10
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55
Why are we paying extra for Tivo again?

jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Why are we paying extra for Tivo again?

I'm saving money with my TiVoHD. Comcast's HD DVR would cost more over 3 years than the TiVoHD will cost me.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:08 AM   #12
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
I'm saving money with my TiVoHD. Comcast's HD DVR would cost more over 3 years than the TiVoHD will cost me.
I think your situation is not the norm.

In any event, most consumers won't outlay $299 for Tivo HD and subscribe for 3-years at another $299 if it has picture quality issues not present on the cable company box.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
Chimpware

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
For me it is about a wash from a cost perspective (actually about $3.50 more per month per Tivo HD) when I amortize the cost of the Tivos and the subscription fee upfront payments at a nominal rate.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
I think your situation is not the norm.

In any event, most consumers won't outlay $299 for Tivo HD and subscribe for 3-years at another $299 if it has picture quality issues not present on the cable company box.
I also got my tiVoHD for $250 and it's $6.95 a month. If I had the comcast HD DVR they would be charging me around $15 a month. They also aren't charging me for any of my cable cards with my Series 3. That's one reason I won't get CC for my TiVoHD, I don't want to mess up my current billing. It's been consistent for several months now, which I think is a record for me. It used to change every month and I had to constantly call to get them to correct everything.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:52 PM   #15
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Hey guys,

We are aware that some of you are still reporting macroblocking or pixelation on certain channels. The team here continues to gather information to understand possible causes - they're making good headway.

The update we released on August 1st has proven to fix the issue for some customers, and we are working hard on a fix for the remaining cases. We will provide more concrete information as we can.

In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and the detailed feedback you've been providing.

Pony
Old 08-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #16
monkeydust

Thanks, Pony. Good to see Tivo acknowledging the issue. It is really my only problem with my S3 that I've owned for almost a year now.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #17
stream

I got a TiVo HD a week ago. I've had a Series 2 for about 6 years and love Tivo. Got frustrated by the Comcast/Moto HD DVR so got a TiVo HD. Returned it today. I don't think it's ready for prime time.

Very slow menu navigation. The Aug 1 SW update didn't fix the pixelation / macroblocking issue (happens every few minutes, both on live TV and recordings, and when you do instant replay, half the time it's there again, and half the time not), and the SW update introduced a new issue (grey screen for a few secs when changing channels).

I hope TiVo fixes the issues, and I'll monitor the boards, but I'm waiting on the sidelines for now. And hopefully we'll get a definitive answer on SDV.
stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #18
Chimpware

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
Hey guys,

We are aware that some of you are still reporting macroblocking or pixelation on certain channels. The team here continues to gather information to understand possible causes - they're making good headway.

The update we released on August 1st has proven to fix the issue for some customers, and we are working hard on a fix for the remaining cases. We will provide more concrete information as we can.

In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and the detailed feedback you've been providing.

Pony
He thanks for the update. Anything we should be doing in terms of troubleshooting this issue once it has been excalated to engineering with a trouble ticket?

I have Cablevision coming tomorrow to check the signal as I was told if it is less than 94 this can contribute to the problem, is this the case?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #19
hank12345

I'm happy to see TiVoPony chime in on the problem-- he has been a good voice of reason, and source of information all the years I have been lurking around these forums--- He is one of the reasons I have so few posts--- My questions are answered by simply searching the forums-- no need to post!

That said, his post here makes me a little nervous--- that TiVo feels the majority of the issues have been fixed, where as it seems to me that almost an equal number of us still have less than acceptable picture quality....

Should those of us TiVo HD owners that are still experiencing picture quality issues consolidate, and post our specific issues into one new "uber" post--- leaving out our opinions, suggestions and arguments, and just post the facts of what we are experiencing? Maybe this will show the magnitude of the issue, and provide TiVo the facts without the conjecture....

If ya'll think this idea is sound, I ask that TivoPony start the thread-- and we post our Tivo issues there-- thoughts?

Last edited by hank12345 : 08-06-2007 at 08:45 PM.
hank12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #20
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stream
and the SW update introduced a new issue (grey screen for a few secs when changing channels).
Did you check your output resolution again? native? 1080i/720p fixed or hybrid? Sometimes that setting gets changed after a reboot, and if it's changing resolutions, maybe there is additional handshake with your TV.
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:26 PM   #21
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank12345
I'm happy to see TiVoPony chime in on the problem-- he has been a good voice of reason, and source of information all the years I have been lurking around these forums--- He is one of the reasons I have so few posts--- My questions are answered by simply searching the forums-- no need to post!

That said, his post here makes me a little nervous--- that TiVo feels the majority of the issues have been fixed, where as it seems to me that almost an equal number of us still have less than acceptable picture quality....

Should those of us TiVo HD owners that are still experiencing picture quality issues consolidate, and post our specific issues into one new "uber" post--- leaving out our opinions, suggestions and arguments, and just post the facts of what we are experiencing? Maybe this will show the magnitude of the issue, and provide TiVo the facts without the conjecture....

If ya'll think this idea is sound, I ask that TivoPony start the thread-- and we post our Tivo issues there-- thoughts?

Good idea, but someone would invariably hijack the thread.

If some of the Chicken Littles will just chill a bit, keep the emotion out of the posts and just post info on the problem, I'm sure the Tivo folks that monitor TCF will get the problem reports to the right people.

But I do hope that folks will also call Tivo and open a case if they see what they think may be a hardware or software problem. Just report the problem to a CSR and get a case number.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:56 AM   #22
GoldenTiger
Tivo Pony =)!

Quote:
Hey guys,

Pony

Thanks SO much for the update... also good to see you're still around (familiar face to me). Should people experiencing the issue still call to report it?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:04 AM   #23
Chimpware

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank12345

I posted a poll thread in hopes that this would show the magnitude of the problem. If you have not added to this thread please do.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:53 AM   #24
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Hey guys,

Pony
Pony,

Does your statement only pertain to the HD or does it also include the S3? My issue has been open since October on pixelation and dropouts with no aparrent progress or admission that there is a problem that is being worked on.

Last edited by SCSIRAID : 08-07-2007 at 07:48 AM.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:38 AM   #25
ed_esi

pixelation issue

I have a series 3 with mild pixelation. Time Warner came out and said that the signal booster that I had for my digital phone was providing too strong a signal.

The Tech stated that too strong a signal can cause pixelaton like too weak a signal. I have noted no change but my TW digital phone is acting up.

Question has anyone heard that too strong a single can effect HD TV and cause pixelation and freezing.

Thanks
ed_esi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_esi
I have a series 3 with mild pixelation. Time Warner came out and said that the signal booster that I had for my digital phone was providing too strong a signal.

The Tech stated that too strong a signal can cause pixelaton like too weak a signal. I have noted no change but my TW digital phone is acting up.

Question has anyone heard that too strong a single can effect HD TV and cause pixelation and freezing.

Thanks
Yes. With the DirecTV HR10-250 you sometimes had to attenuate the OTA signal if it was too strong.
It's always been that way with analog. I have that problem on my Comcast signal. Since they upgraded the cableplant my signal is too hot. If I conect it straight to the TV it will be a lousy picture. One I attenuate it 7dB the picture is crystal clear.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:04 AM   #27
ed_esi

pixelation issue

That makes sense. My signal was a 15 at the main box and even split 5 ways it still was a 12 at my HD TV. By the way I know many have issues with the S3 and with the new HD. I am in Charlotte. It has been a learning curve with the TW techs here but it only too 3 visits to get my cards installed. The work great but there has been channel loss. Rebooting brings them back normally. Talking to TW the loss is on their end and not TIVO. Nice of them to admit it. Thanks for the input.
ed_esi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #28
Flot

I'm still on the fence with mine - honestly as much as I loathed the Motorola DVR, I rarely if ever saw pixelation on it. In watching a 1 hour HD program last night, I must have seen 6-8 visual glitches and a second or two of dropped audio. I don't know if I should blame the cablecards or the tivo, but it's definitely not up to par with the motorola box. (can't believe I just said that)

Browsing the guide is a little slow, but did seem to speed up a bit once I removed about 50 channels that I'd never watch from the list.
Flot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #29
TiVotion
Early Adoptersaurus

As I posted just now in another thread, TiVo HD initally as of now seems to be working without issue with 2 Moto (SCARD) cablecards with Verizon FIOS in Tampa. Ditto for my Series 3 box.

I wonder what the variables are causing problems on some, but not all, systems? Must be fluctuations in the signal strength.

I let Verizon leave 1 Moto DVR box when they originally installed my service just so I could check it out. I absolutely hated it, and when they came to install my cablecards, I had them remove it (I still maintain their HD STB's in all rooms just for the on-demand stuff). Far as I'm concerned, those STB DVR's can't even begin to compete with TiVo in terms of features and ease of use.

TiVo Premiere
TiVo Series 3 HD DVR
TiVo HD DVR
Pioneer DVR-810H
Provider: Verizon FIOS
TiVotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #30
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVotion
As I posted just now in another thread, TiVo HD initally as of now seems to be working without issue with 2 Moto (SCARD) cablecards with Verizon FIOS in Tampa. Ditto for my Series 3 box.

I wonder what the variables are causing problems on some, but not all, systems? Must be fluctuations in the signal strength.

I let Verizon leave 1 Moto DVR box when they originally installed my service just so I could check it out. I absolutely hated it, and when they came to install my cablecards, I had them remove it (I still maintain their HD STB's in all rooms just for the on-demand stuff). Far as I'm concerned, those STB DVR's can't even begin to compete with TiVo in terms of features and ease of use.
Fluctuations in the signal strength?

Come on.

This is obviously some sort of driver/hardware interaction problem, possibly with the cable cards. However, seeing as some users are reporting the problem even with analog cable I suspect it's far more likely that some of this is being caused by problems with hardware or firmware.