TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #31
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger
Where can I download this? The link just has mfslive, not WinMFS ... I gather it's not publicly released yet, but is there anywhere I can grab it to see if it works for me? If not, it's not like I couldn't just re-image the drive from the original image . I'm running on Vista64, as well, and would like to see if it will even work with that. I have the cable guy coming with my cablecards on Thursday morning, so I want to have the TiVo HD prepped by then.
The author has stated in this very thread that it will be available in a few days for alpha testing.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #32
GoldenTiger
Tivo Pony =)!

Who is the author? Not everyone keeps up with the TiVo dev. scene ya know .
GoldenTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:01 PM   #33
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

It is not yet available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #34
GoldenTiger
Tivo Pony =)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
The author has stated in this very thread that it will be available in a few days for alpha testing.

Alpha testing, not publicly. I don't really care if it botches up my drive, I can just re-image it. I want to have something to try and if it works, great. I looked at his forums already and it is not available for signup even for testing. There's no need to be rude (implied) about it, jmpage2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
If you had actually looked at your link, you'd see I had already posted in there . I am looking for more info/a download link.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #35
mchips

Quote:
Who is the author? Not everyone keeps up with the TiVo dev. scene ya know .
See posts #1, #7, and #15 above...

I hadn't known he was the author until I had read all of those posts myself, specifically 7 and 15.

cynˇic
n.
- A person whose outlook is scornfully and often habitually negative.

The Greek word kunikos, from which cynic comes, was originally an adjective meaning "doglike," from kuōn, "dog."

mchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:36 PM   #36
jmpage2

Quote:
Alpha testing, not publicly. I don't really care if it botches up my drive, I can just re-image it. I want to have something to try and if it works, great. I looked at his forums already and it is not available for signup even for testing. There's no need to be rude (implied) about it, jmpage2.

If you had actually looked at your link, you'd see I had already posted in there . I am looking for more info/a download link.
Spike is the author. You know, the guy that started up the thread and indicated things like "it will be ready for alpha soon" and "I will test it on Vista", etc.

I'm not being rude, you're just being a bit thick in not reading the thread.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #37
spike2k5

Quote:
Where can I download this? The link just has mfslive, not WinMFS ... I gather it's not publicly released yet, but is there anywhere I can grab it to see if it works for me? If not, it's not like I couldn't just re-image the drive from the original image . I'm running on Vista64, as well, and would like to see if it will even work with that. I have the cable guy coming with my cablecards on Thursday morning, so I want to have the TiVo HD prepped by then.
Patience my friend.
I think you can upgrade it before the cable guy comes. It only takes 10 minutes.

spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:06 AM   #38
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2k5
Patience my friend.
I think you can upgrade it before the cable guy comes. It only takes 10 minutes.
It would also be easier to upgrade before the Cablecards are installed. Some folks had problems with upgrades on the S3 when doing so after a CC install (though I used the bumwine method and had no problems upgrading after my CC install)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:39 AM   #39
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just upgraded one of my units from a 500GB drive to a 750GB drive with MFSLive. It's working fine with my cablecards.
And when I went from 250GB to 500GB I specifically waited until after my cablecards were installed so I would have the original drive that already had the cable card info so if I ever had problems with the larger drive I could just revert back to the original and not have any problems since it was already set up the cable cards installed before I copied it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:14 AM   #40
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
It would also be easier to upgrade before the Cablecards are installed. Some folks had problems with upgrades on the S3 when doing so after a CC install (though I used the bumwine method and had no problems upgrading after my CC install)
In my experience as long as you are using the original drive as the source image, it doesn't matter whether you pair before or after the CableCARD install. My cable system has enabled CPMS. Now if you plan to use a different image or have a pre-populated upgrade ordered from someone else, then it is less trouble to do the CableCARD install after installing the new drive.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:17 AM   #41
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
In my experience as long as you are using the original drive as the source image, it doesn't matter whether you pair before or after the CableCARD install. My cable system has enabled CPMS. Now if you plan to use a different image or have a pre-populated upgrade ordered from someone else, then it is less trouble to do the CableCARD install after installing the new drive.
In either case, a Clear & Delete Everything seemed to fix the pairing problem on the S3.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:00 AM   #42
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
In either case, a Clear & Delete Everything seemed to fix the pairing problem on the S3.
Nope, it actually triggers it. You might be thinking of a different problem.

At least on Motorola CableCARD systems, C&DE will cause the Data portion of the pairing information to be regenerated, breaking the pairing. One will only notice the broken pairing if their area has enabled CPMS and they are watching a channel with non-zero CCI.

Once you become unpaired you really need to call in the new #s and get them paired. This could be a 5 minute procedure or much longer depending on the experience of the person you get on the phone. It is supposed to be getting better, but if you can avoid re-pairing through simple re-sequencing of your actions, it is worth doing.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #43
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
Once you become unpaired you really need to call in the new #s and get them paired. This could be a 5 minute procedure or much longer depending on the experience of the person you get on the phone. It is supposed to be getting better, but if you can avoid re-pairing through simple re-sequencing of your actions, it is worth doing.
In my case with Comcast it took 3 calls and over two hour's worth of time. The first two calls I made I was told it was not possible to pair the cards over the phone (the 2nd time by a supervisor). On the third call I was also told that it was not possible, but after being adamant the person finally re-paired my CCs, but would only do so once I verified my identity by providing the last 4 digits of my social security number. I don't know why this was required since I'm not aware of any way to hack CCs, but I'm just letting you know that it isn't as simple a procedure as one would think it should be.

So I would avoid having to re-pair the cards at all costs.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:01 PM   #44
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac
In my case with Comcast it took 3 calls and over two hour's worth of time. The first two calls I made I was told it was not possible to pair the cards over the phone (the 2nd time by a supervisor). On the third call I was also told that it was not possible, but after being adamant the person finally re-paired my CCs, but would only do so once I verified my identity by providing the last 4 digits of my social security number. I don't know why this was required since I'm not aware of any way to hack CCs, but I'm just letting you know that it isn't as simple a procedure as one would think it should be.

So I would avoid having to re-pair the cards at all costs.
You got a bad call center. I've repaired the cards in one of my S3s a few times over the phone in about 10 minutes.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #45
GoldenTiger
Tivo Pony =)!

Just a report... tested the Alpha with a TiVoHD drive with a few recordings on it. I successfully copied the entire contents and then expanded the partition using WinMFS to make it work with the extra capacity to a 500gb Maxtor drive. It shows the proper amount of space, and works 100% perfectly with High-Def content. I ran it under Windows Vista 64-bit Edition at that !
Old 08-01-2007, 01:16 AM   #46
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Just a report... tested the Alpha with a TiVoHD drive with a few recordings on it. I successfully copied the entire contents and then expanded the partition using WinMFS to make it work with the extra capacity to a 500gb Maxtor drive. It shows the proper amount of space, and works 100% perfectly with High-Def content. I ran it under Windows Vista 64-bit Edition at that !
I've done a few initial tests, as well. Successfully backed up and restored, then expanded to a larger drive, too (using WinXP SP2). Definitely more testing is in order, but its good to see so much progress so early on. Thx Spike.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:02 AM   #47
aaronwt
HD Addict

So can you boot into Vista with the TiVoHD drive and it won't muck it up? Or do you run WinMFS and hook the TiVO drive up to the USB with and external case after strating WinMFS? I had a PC set up just for copying the TiVO drives, but it was for booting from a CD and it uses an old 1Ghz P3 cpu.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:28 AM   #48
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
So can you boot into Vista with the TiVoHD drive and it won't muck it up?
Yes. Windows Vista and Windows XP2 will not attempt to mount the drive on their own. Hence, you can boot into Vista and Windows XP SP2 with the TivoHD drive attached without messing anything up. Just do not not attempt to mount it using Windows' Disk Management .

Windows 2000 and earlier versions of Windows will "muck it up."
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 AM   #49
joneSi

In the excitement of this, I have purchased a new 750gb WD SATA drive from newegg. I'd be happy to help out testing if necessary, though, I won't be able to do it until middle of August. Not afraid to lose recordings and settings if the 750 replacement doesn't take kindly to the upgrade. I

I plan to keep the 250 drive as a backup in case the whole thing comes down. Let me know if I can help.

joneSi
joneSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #50
jhoak

Is there some manner of mailing list or notification list that I can register with to be notified when the upgrade procedure goes "live"?
jhoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #51
nocturne1

My 750GB drive arrived yesterday, and my Tivo HD today. Cablecards will be installed on tuesday. Now all I need is this....
nocturne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #52
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoak
Is there some manner of mailing list or notification list that I can register with to be notified when the upgrade procedure goes "live"?
Upgrade procedure is being tested by few right now. You can signup on my forum if you want to blaze a trail.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #53
b3ar

Quote:
Upgrade procedure is being tested by few right now. You can signup on my forum if you want to blaze a trail.
I've got a torch ready.

TiVo Premiere XL
TivoHD - 750GB (98 HD hours) - thanks, Spike2k5 and WinMFS!
b3ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #54
spike2k5

Made some minor adjustments and things look good so follow the link on the first post if you want to give it a try.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #55
jmpage2

Quote:
Made some minor adjustments and things look good so follow the link on the first post if you want to give it a try.
Thanks for all of your hard work on this for the rest of us slackers. We just need to register to get the latest Beta that supports this or is there a different link to this Alpha build?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #56
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Thanks for all of your hard work on this for the rest of us slackers. We just need to register to get the latest Beta that supports this or is there a different link to this Alpha build?
If you go to top of the post (1st post) there is a link for guide & download.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #57
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

WinMFS is great. Works in Vista, and you can backup/restore any connected SATA drive (I connected directly to my SATA ports on the MB).

No need for the mfs boot disks anymore.

Great stuff Spike!

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #58
Beantownbeanie

Seagate 750GB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive

Model: ST3750640AS-RK

IS this OK???? I can't find the one locally that is the Seagate 750GB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive

Model: ST3750640NS like the post....this one ends in NS and the the local model ends in AS
Beantownbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #59
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantownbeanie
Seagate 750GB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive

Model: ST3750640AS-RK

IS this OK???? I can't find the one locally that is the Seagate 750GB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive

Model: ST3750640NS like the post....this one ends in NS and the the local model ends in AS
That drive is not certified for 24/7 operation. It may work just fine, or it may die on you in six months. I don't know about you, but I would rather not risk hundreds of gigabytes of HDTV recordings just to save a few bucks.

If long-term reliability is a concern, and you want a 750Gb drive, then I would opt for the Seagate DB35. You can buy the 750Gb DB35 (ST3750840SCE) for $265 + shipping from TheNerds.net. They also sell the 500Gb version (ST3500830SCE) for ~$150, but they are currently out of stock.

Note you support spike2k5's efforts by using that link.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #60
Beantownbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
That drive is not certified for 24/7 operation. It may work just fine, or it may die on you in six months. I don't know about you, but I would rather not risk hundreds of gigabytes of HDTV recordings just to save a few bucks.

If long-term reliability is a concern, and you want a 750Gb drive, then I would opt for the Seagate DB35. You can buy the 750Gb DB35 (ST3750840SCE) for $265 + shipping from TheNerds.net. They also sell the 500Gb version (ST3500830SCE) for ~$150, but they are currently out of stock.

Note you support spike2k5's efforts by using that link.
THanks BK...its not the money. I have to buy it locally. I can't do online. My choices are limited to whatever is sold at BB or CC. They are the 2 places closest to me.
Beantownbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote