TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #121
jrm01

Quote:
I called BH today to ask how much cable cards would cost and they indicated $3.95 each. The sales guy I spoke to was indicating that there was no guarantee that the cable cards would support hi def.

Have you guys heard of this issue ?

Or was the guy totally blowing smoke somewhere ?
Yes. I've heard it many times....and it was never true. Maybe blowing smoke....maybe just didn't know what he was talking about.

Quote:
Also what happens if Brighthouse starts using the M-card sometime in the future will the Tivo Series 3 and the Tivo HD be in trouble ?
Tivo Hd will work fine with just one m-card. S3 will treat it as a s-card and you will need two.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:27 PM   #122
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRaz
I called BH today to ask how much cable cards would cost and they indicated $3.95 each. The sales guy I spoke to was indicating that there was no guarantee that the cable cards would support hi def.....
Don't worry, the BH cable cards will work just fine in receiving Hi Def programs on your S3.

Duke
St. Petersburg, FL
Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 PM   #123
lombard

Well, I got my Bright House hook up on Friday (Brevard County, Cape Canaveral area). Amazingly enough, the guy showed up almost at the beginning of the installation window. In fact, he called me about 20 minutes prior to verify the order and get directions to my place. Anyway, he got to my place and spent about an hour burying the cable run to my house and running conduit and the like. Then he came inside and started asking about where everything was. I pointed him towards the TiVo and said both cards go there. He frowned a bit and rambled about how much all the installers hate CableCards. Anyway, he was a nice enough guy and was just being upfront with me. I gave him the instruction sheet from my S3 and walked him through the process (since I've been through it before). 10 minutes later, both CableCards were working and he couldn't get over how easy it was. Then he started asking me all about the TiVo.

Anyway, so far so good. No idea what billing's going to be like. I'm in a new construction home and one of the incentives the builder gave me was free cable/internet/phone/DVR through Bright House for a year. I declined the phone service and ended up not getting one of their DVR's (they did set up a standard HD box). So long story short, I have no idea how the billing works. I don't know if my builder just gave them a check to credit my account or what...
lombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:48 PM   #124
bralio

OK - I haven't done enough homework yet, but am seriously considering the jump back to Tivo (had it with DirecTV two years ago, and switched to BH in our new house last year after a fallout with that fine company).... I can't STAND the DVR BHN has, so really want to jump back.

Is the M-card the card that can do full two-way communication, for In-Demand and PPV, etc? I assume by the reading that this isn't an option yet for us fine folks in the Tampa/St Pete/Pasco area? If not, I'll probably wait... begrudgingly...

Now I have to do the math to see how much more/less it is to even go this route...
Old 07-31-2007, 05:44 PM   #125
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lombard
He frowned a bit and rambled about how much all the installers hate CableCards.
That seems to be par for the course ... the cablecos don't make the process smooth, which makes the installers hate them, which they pass on to the customer, hoping everyone will just give up and get the cableco's DVR. I had the same experience with my installer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:45 PM   #126
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bralio
Is the M-card the card that can do full two-way communication, for In-Demand and PPV, etc?
No. The M-Card just allows you to do dual-tuner decoding with a single card in the TiVo HD. You'd still need two M-Cards in an S3 since it doesn't support the M-Card (yet?).

The PPV/InDemand stuff, from what I understand, is part of the CableCARD 2.0 spec (work-in-progress), different from M-Card.

|
Old 07-31-2007, 05:50 PM   #127
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Search for the other threads that discuss this. ALL CableCARDs are bi-directional. The main difference between S-Cards and M-Cards is that S-Cards handle a single stream while M-Cards can handle up to six streams.

Bidirectional features such as VOD/PPV do not depend on the type of card at all, but rather on the host device. Neither the S3 nor the TiVo HD support VOD/PPV at this time.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:35 PM   #128
kochsr

i just found out that brighthouse, mi offers m-card (only) for 11 bux a month. kind of a rip, but i am doing it anyway. i ordered on circuitcity for 258.... arriving on friday.
kochsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:17 AM   #129
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochsr
i just found out that brighthouse, mi offers m-card (only) for 11 bux a month.
Is that cheaper than two S-Cards? BHN here in St. Pete is charging me $3.95 per card (plus $.95 AO fee) so $11 for an M-Card wouldn't be worth it.

|
Old 08-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #130
jblake

I called Bright House Birmingham on Friday to schedule my install for Tuesday. At first she couldn't figure out how to get 2 cards on the order..the system was only allowing her to order one. She told me last year she thinks she remembered having a Tivo order and she would figure it out. She put me on hold and eventually came on the line and said she fixed it.

She called me Saturday and left me a voicemail that she needed the model number of my TV and Tivo. I think she's slightly confused that one or more of the cards have to go in the TV. She said her supervisor wanted the model numbers. Hopefully there won't be any holdups when they come on Tuesday.
jblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #131
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake
I called Bright House Birmingham on Friday to schedule my install for Tuesday. At first she couldn't figure out how to get 2 cards on the order..the system was only allowing her to order one. She told me last year she thinks she remembered having a Tivo order and she would figure it out. She put me on hold and eventually came on the line and said she fixed it.

She called me Saturday and left me a voicemail that she needed the model number of my TV and Tivo. I think she's slightly confused that one or more of the cards have to go in the TV. She said her supervisor wanted the model numbers. Hopefully there won't be any holdups when they come on Tuesday.
Same thing happened to me in Birmingham. She read me a model number for the s3 (not the right one mind you) and said that was the only cable card tivo they supported. I finally just agreed yeah that's right. Install was pretty painful (about 4 hours overall with a break in between for the tech to run to another job), but most of it had to do with the head end not knowing what the hell they're doing. And this was back in January so maybe they are a bit better with it.

If further news seems Brighthouse in Birmingham pushed out firmware updates to all cablecard customers late Thursday night. I didn't notice til Friday evening (getting the dreaded "updating your cablecard firmware..." message), called Saturday and they were working on it (acknowledging it was affecting all cc customers) and said it would be resolved by head end that day. Got a call later in the day saying they had to make service appointments for all cablecard customers. Sounds like they fried all the cable cards and have to reinstall all of them. That should be fun. So I'm right with you there Tuesday.

Since they are doing a lot of cable card authorization this week it might be much more successful for you. And me. Let's hope. If it makes you feel any better I've only had one issue in the 7 months since (cc 2 didn't receive some premium channels) and got that resolved in a quick 15 minute phone call. Pretty much smooth sailing otherwise.

Last edited by dig_duggler : 08-05-2007 at 02:32 PM.
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:02 PM   #132
jblake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig_duggler
Same thing happened to me in Birmingham. She read me a model number for the s3 (not the right one mind you) and said that was the only cable card tivo they supported. I finally just agreed yeah that's right. Install was pretty painful (about 4 hours overall with a break in between for the tech to run to another job), but most of it had to do with the head end not knowing what the hell they're doing. And this was back in January so maybe they are a bit better with it.

If further news seems Brighthouse in Birmingham pushed out firmware updates to all cablecard customers late Thursday night. I didn't notice til Friday evening (getting the dreaded "updating your cablecard firmware..." message), called Saturday and they were working on it (acknowledging it was affecting all cc customers) and said it would be resolved by head end that day. Got a call later in the day saying they had to make service appointments for all cablecard customers. Sounds like they fried all the cable cards and have to reinstall all of them. That should be fun. So I'm right with you there Tuesday.

Since they are doing a lot of cable card authorization this week it might be much more successful for you. And me. Let's hope. If it makes you feel any better I've only had one issue in the 7 months since (cc 2 didn't receive some premium channels) and got that resolved in a quick 15 minute phone call. Pretty much smooth sailing otherwise.
I'm guessing BHN B'ham uses Sci Atl cable cards? Since that's who they use for the set tops?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #133
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake
I'm guessing BHN B'ham uses Sci Atl cable cards? Since that's who they use for the set tops?
yup
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #134
tswyatt21

well, wish me luck. Bought my Tivo HD and scheduled my Brighthouse appointment for this Friday. Those of you who have had cards installed recently (and have a Tivo HD) were the cards that were installed the smaller sized cards that allow you to shut the front case of the Tivo HD? I'm getting a bit worried when one of the manuals said that the longer sized cards would have to stick out in the front.

The tech I spoke with was very nice and didn't give any problems with providing cards. Now if I can just get a competent tech out on Friday that will install the cards one at a time. I've had pretty good look with the Techs themselves but the contractors that bury the lines are borderline incompetent.
tswyatt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #135
jmoak
Beware of Conky!

BHN, Melbourne Florida, cablecard install in a TivoHD last saturday.

The tech showed up 20 minutes early, followed the included directions, first card went in without a hitch, after 20 minutes he determined that the second one was bad, reached into his back pocket and pulled out another card ( ) and was up and running in 10 minutes.

Now I have to figure out how to get the TivoHD to get the digital versions of the analog tier, as the old SA8300hd does.

jmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #136
jmoak
Beware of Conky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswyatt21
Those of you who have had cards installed recently (and have a Tivo HD) were the cards that were installed the smaller sized cards that allow you to shut the front case of the Tivo HD?
Yep! Stuck 'em both in and the little door closed just fine.

Good Luck!

jmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #137
jblake

I knew it couldn't go seamlessly for me..

Guy showed up on time, right in the middle of the 4-6 window. It was a sub contractor so I was worried right off the bat. Then he got an 8300HD out of his truck and I knew something was up. When he got in, I told him I ordered 2 cable cards. He said he saw that on the order, but only BHN employees and not contractors can install cable cards, so when he saw the order he just brought a box. He couldn't tell me why he didn't ask his supervisor what to do. So, I have a wrapped up 8300 HD and a cable modem that won't work (due to some special channel that my school inserts on the line that seems to be blocking the upstream, not BHN's fault).

I am on hold waiting for a CSR at BHN. I am assuming that they have 3 CSRs answering the phone. This is insane. If I didn't want my Tivo so bad I'd tell them to take it all back and shove it..and stick a dish on a pole in a bucket out on the balcony.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #138
kochsr

well, i am taking my tivoHD back.

i called today to actually schedule the install, and now they say they have single stream cards only, and they are charging me 11.95 EACH for them.

11.95 + 11.95 + 12.95 (s-card + s-card + tivo) = 36.85 a month for tivoHD

DVR costs 6.95 a month.

ridiculous. i do not understand how they can justify those prices.
kochsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #139
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
i called today to actually schedule the install, and now they say they have single stream cards only, and they are charging me 11.95 EACH for them.
That does not seem right at all!

|
Old 08-16-2007, 07:30 PM   #140
jfh3

Quote:
well, i am taking my tivoHD back.

11.95 + 11.95 + 12.95 (s-card + s-card + tivo) = 36.85 a month for tivoHD

DVR costs 6.95 a month.

ridiculous. i do not understand how they can justify those prices.
Get the box working and get the billing adjusted after the fact.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:25 AM   #141
nenemc

it took three visits from installers and three scientific atlanta cards for my slot two, but after the last card everything is now working fine.(except for these pixellation issues)

Be persistent with installers, if one card doesn't work, keep trying, like i said, it took three cards for it to work properly!
nenemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:42 AM   #142
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

The day I purchased my Tivo HD I stopped by the Bright House office to see if I could get the cable cards for the Tivo... The person I talked to said that Bright House didn't have any cable cards...

So, I played along an asked just where I might "purchase the cards"... Again the person had a blank look on her face... Could be that she just didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about, or worse case, the emplyees were "told" by upper mngt to force the consumer to use their product, HD DVR...

Went straight home and called Bright House... Again I was told that there were no cable cards available from BH for Tivo's and if there were I would have to pay for a "Service Call"... $19.94

I gave up trying to reason with these people at BH...

I called Tivo CS, had her do a three way call with BH, and I listened in on the call...

Still BH instisted, with a Tivo Rep on the call, that they did not have cable cards for the Tivo device...

Un danted the Tivo lady told the gal at BH that it is an FCC mandate that BH offer the cable cards for their customers...
An the Tivo gal asked to speak with a Supervisor... After being placed on hold for over 30 minutes, this person from BH came back with a different tune to sing...

All of a sudden cable cards WERE available, but if I wanted them I must pay the $19.95 service call on the spot, and that BH does not work on Tivo's...

Took four days to get 2 cards that worked, after a total of 14 attempts... the BH techs had never seen a Tivo HD before... duh ?

Not a good way for BH to treat their ongoing customer base, in my humble opinion...
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 AM   #143
tswyatt21

Anyone had problems with adding the HD Tier for their S3 or TivoHD's? I called last night to upgrade to the HD Tier (after getting my Fox HD OTA working) and was told that Cable Cards wouldn't receive HD content. After waiting for 15 minutes on hold while she talked to her supervisor she came back with "we're trying to add it to your service but it isn't letting us submit it". She told me to call the local office.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:50 AM   #144
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswyatt21
Anyone had problems with adding the HD Tier for their S3 or TivoHD's?.....
There should be no problem adding the HD Tier to the CC. I have this service from BH (Saint Petersburg area).

Good luck,
Duke
Old 08-31-2007, 10:56 AM   #145
tswyatt21

Thanks for the reply. I thought it should be available.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #146
adam84a
Bright House Hater

warning

I don't want to scare anyone away from the S3 or the TiVo HD, but I do want to offer a warning to those considering using a third party cable card device with brighthouse (at least in the Tampa Bay area). I got my TiVo HD a couple weeks ago, and after three house visits and a day wasted waiting for a tech that never showed up. I had to give up on the TiVo HD and go back to the nasty, useless SA 8300HD. My problem was that nobody within Bright House had any clue about cable cards (I even had an amusing encounter with a csr that, while trying to force their HD DVR down my throat, informed me that bright house would "probably not offer cable cards in the near future" I was kind enough to let her know that would be illegal). My problem, I believe, was that they never completely paired the cards correctly because I was never able to receive any of the encrypted or copy protected channels. Unless you are lucky enough to get someone from BHN who know's what they're doing, or you have all the time in the world to wait around for multiple visits from BHN techs you will be better off waiting until they gain more experience with CC installs, or in my case until FIOS is rolled out to your neighborhood.
adam84a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #147
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam84a
or in my case until FIOS is rolled out to your neighborhood.
That works for folks served by Verizon Communications. Those of us in at&t land (former SBC/Bell South) don't have that option, since their u-verse product does not use cable cards and is thus not compatible with the Series3
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #148
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam84a
I don't want to scare anyone away from the S3 or the TiVo HD, but I do want to offer a warning to those considering using a third party cable card device with brighthouse (at least in the Tampa Bay area). I got my TiVo HD a couple weeks ago, and after three house visits and a day wasted waiting for a tech that never showed up. I had to give up on the TiVo HD and go back to the nasty, useless SA 8300HD. My problem was that nobody within Bright House had any clue about cable cards (I even had an amusing encounter with a csr that, while trying to force their HD DVR down my throat, informed me that bright house would "probably not offer cable cards in the near future" I was kind enough to let her know that would be illegal). My problem, I believe, was that they never completely paired the cards correctly because I was never able to receive any of the encrypted or copy protected channels. Unless you are lucky enough to get someone from BHN who know's what they're doing, or you have all the time in the world to wait around for multiple visits from BHN techs you will be better off waiting until they gain more experience with CC installs, or in my case until FIOS is rolled out to your neighborhood.
I've completed three (actually four) successful installs with Bright House in the Tampa Area. The secret to my success is actually taking over the install process from the technician. I've even offered to perform the telephone call during the pairing process. If you are in the Tampa area, I suggest you file a complaint with the City of Tampa here --> TampaGov Cable TV Service Complaint . They will elevate your complaint to a CSR in BHN that has the ability to fix your issues.

Good luck,
Sam
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #149
sbiller

One more thing regarding BHN in Tampa and the TiVo HD... you can now get the M-Card instead of 2 S-Cards.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #150
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

It would appear that a Class Action Lawsuit against the nations cable service providers would get their attention...
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote