Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-29-2007, 10:32 PM   #3001
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
It's going to be interesting since as of July all new equipment the cable companies purchase must use the same CableCARDs that all third-party manufacturers need to use, so cable companies will only be facing more CableCARDs in the future, and sooner or later will need to streamline the whole authorization process.
Ah, but as my tech friend pointed out, the cable cards in the boxes are mated to the boxes ahead of time.

That is, they are configured "in the shop" - heck, just like in a corporate environment where I can order 500 PC's from Dell with the exact software image on the hard drive I want, I'll bet the boxes come pre-configured from Moto or SA with the cable card fully configured.

I'll bet it won't affect the cable co's processes one bit. Devices like Tivo will still be the "odd man out"
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:55 AM   #3002
rmerikle

Help the Newbie

Many Moons ago I had a Series 1 Tivo. I then went to Comcast for HDTV and have hated that decision every since. I am now looking at the TivoHD and I am hoping for some feedback to make sure I understand everything.

I will be going with the M cable card or two regular cable cards from comcast along with Limited Cable. According to the Comcast website I get the below channels with Limited Cable. Is there anything I am missing? It almost seems to good to be true.

I live close to downtown Seattle and have access to over the air HD channels if that will work as well. It is my understanding the Tivo and integrate both programming guides into one. Do you think I will need to do this or will I get all that I need from Comcast?

I am currently paying for Limited $14; Expanded $35; Digital Classic $12; DVR Service $12. I am hoping to knock out the Expanded, Digital Classic and DVR fees which would more then pay for the TivoHD over time and best of all I would have Tivo back in my home. I really only watch the mainstream programming and need HDTV for mostly mainstream network shows along with sports.

Will this all work as I describe above. I have found lots of information on Cable Cards and understand the fees associated with that, but I am having a hard time understanding what I need to pay for Comcast programming.

Sorry if my question has already been answered, but I did some searches and there are 100+ pages of posts to go through. I did not see anything that naswered some of my questions.

Comcast Web site channel listing

# Channel Name Interests Features
2 Northwest Cable News News & Info
3 ION
4 KOMO (ABC)
5 KING (NBC)
6 KONG
7 KIRO (CBS)
8 Discovery Channel Children & Family
9 KCTS (PBS)
10 KMYQ (MYNETWORKTV)
11 KSTW (CW)
12 KBTC (PBS)
13 KCPQ (FOX)
14 KBCB
15 KHCV
16 QVC Lifestyle
17 HSN/Leased Access Lifestyle
18 KWDK
19 Hallmark Channel Movies
20 KTBW
21 Government Access News & Info
22 King County Civic TV
23 TVW News & Info
24 C-SPAN News & Info
25 C-SPAN2 News & Info
26 Educational Access Lifestyle
27 UWTV News & Info
28 Educational Access Lifestyle
29 KUNS (Univision)
75 KCTS (PBS) Plus
76 UW2 TV News & Info
77 Public Access News & Info
78 The Weather Channel News & Info
99 CBUT Multicultural
104 KOMO (ABC) in Hi-Def* High-Definition TV
105 KING (NBC) in Hi-Def* High-Definition TV
106 KONG in Hi-Def* High-Definition TV
107 KIRO (CBS) in Hi-Def* High-Definition TV
108 KCTS (PBS) in Hi-Def* High-Definition TV
109 KCTS (PBS) Digital
110 KMYQ (MYNETWORKTV) in Hi-Def*
111 KSTW (CW) in Hi-Def* High-Definition TV
112 KCTS (PBS) Create
113 KCPQ (FOX) in Hi-Def* High-Definition TV
115 KING-5 Weather Plus News & Info
116 TheTube

* High Definition is an additional $5 per month in addition to Comcast Cable.
rmerikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:00 AM   #3003
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerikle
* High Definition is an additional $5 per month in addition to Comcast Cable.
It varies from local to local, but so far to activate the cable cards it seems the majority of locations require at least the basic tier of digital cable, and there is no charge for HD.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:14 AM   #3004
Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
I think that's just something you decided to say just out of anger. It's hyperbole, at best, but even calling it that is generous.
No, actually, I was on the phone with a Comcast call center manager who was out right hostile about cable cards. He was from the Silver Spring office, because 24 hour coverage in the Montgomery County, MD area is provided there.

The man actually TOLD ME THAT.

He went on to say that Comcast and other cable companies are "forced" to take cable cards, and that since no one uses them, they don't make it a point of training their CS reps or technicians how to work with them.

That means that everything is word of mouth from one tech to another at the point in time that they finally encounter a cable card installation.

I'm not joking... the man was, pretty much, vicious as he was saying this to me. He was ranting about how I wasn't going to get the Comcast guide, or any on demand stuff, that cable cards were bad for end users and Comcast,etc... and was super angry when I told him I absolutely didn't want any of the features he mentioned, and that my entire reason for going with Tivo was to eliminate all the stuff on the screen along with being able to bypass commercials…

Furthermore, the guy REFUSED to reinitialize the Cable Cards in my Series 3. (Comcast, as happened 4 times during the period I had them with the Series 3, had done something to their network that had caused the cards to need to be reauthorized.) He told me to call back during normal business hours. I suspect, but I’m not positive, that the guy just didn’t want to deal with the Cable Cards.

The man was so angry that it pretty much didn’t make any sense to me. Aside from telling the previous non-management tech that if he "didn’t know what he was doing with the Cable Cards to get a manager on the line", I was relatively pleasant about the whole annoying situation.

So don't sit there and question my integrity when you’ve got no idea what the situation is.

In the event you work for Comcast, maybe someone should be training the staff and techs so that all of the problems in this thread never happened. The fact that trucks are rolled to install cable cards with techs that have no idea who to install them, or what information they need for the head node to activate them is more than annoying. ...and it appears that it's on purpose.

Based on what the guy a Comcast said to me, Comcast is attempting to provide poor, at best, support for cable cards in an attempt to make end users go away.

It appears that the thought process is "If we make it difficult enough, people will not use them."

Gerhard

Every seen the movie office space? These Tivos are in the Xerox II graveyard:

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:08 AM   #3005
marjl21

Actually, when I was having my cable cards installed on Friday, the CSR that I spoke with told me that all the CSR's in my local office (Memphis) had just been trained on authorizing cable cards last week. However, that still doesn't mean that they know what they are doing. After 2 hours, the tech (who had only done 1 CC install before) and myself finally figured out that the CSR had entered the numbers wrong for both cards. She couldn't figure out how to delete the cards, so we spoke with a manager who said he was leaving for the day. He gave me his direct # and told me to call him this weekend, as he was working both days, and he would get me set up since he had lots of CC experience. Well after at least 4 calls and a voicemail each day, I was never able to get in contact with him. Looks like I'm going to be calling in today trying to find someone that can help. Oh the joys of Comcrap.....
marjl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:10 AM   #3006
ALK3011

Advice needed ASAP

Need some advice BEFORE I call again.
I had a cable card nightmare. ...... after waiting all day on Saturday, the installer came at the end of the day to install the cards, but he did not bring them (it was not on his order). I called comcast and made a stink and actually got them to agree not only to a sunday call, but also that since I waited all day, that I would be the first appointment.

The installer showed up with single stream cards and 2 multi-stream cards. (just in case - LOL)
Well....he was nice and all but clearly the people on the phone who activate them, so not know what they are doing. THe don't ask for any of the numbers that come up on the screen and cannot get them activated. We re-boot, we re-do the guided set up. OVER AND OVER. After FOUR HOURS I was fairly fed up. It was a nice day outside and I had now lost two days.

I told the installer to leave all the cards -- and he did! I have a multi-stream card in and actually it is working on both tuners - I get my digital channels, I get my HD channels, but I am not getting my premium channels - any of my HBO or HD HBO channels.

I am almost afraid to mess with it, but dont know what to do. Here are my questions - i need the serial number of the card (and am afraid to take it out to get it), and has anyone had success in asking the right questions or getting the right technician on the phone to help them get the card activated???? I am in Chicago. And I would love to get this solved today.

thanks!!!!!
ALK3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:13 AM   #3007
Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjl21
Actually, when I was having my cable cards installed on Friday, the CSR that I spoke with told me that all the CSR's in my local office (Memphis) had just been trained on authorizing cable cards last week. However, that still doesn't mean that they know what they are doing. After 2 hours, the tech (who had only done 1 CC install before) and myself finally figured out that the CSR had entered the numbers wrong for both cards. She couldn't figure out how to delete the cards, so we spoke with a manager who said he was leaving for the day. He gave me his direct # and told me to call him this weekend, as he was working both days, and he would get me set up since he had lots of CC experience. Well after at least 4 calls and a voicemail each day, I was never able to get in contact with him. Looks like I'm going to be calling in today trying to find someone that can help. Oh the joys of Comcrap.....
Yepper... at least they are now doing some form of training.

I do get the impression that things with Comcast as HIGHLY decentralized. It seems like every region does it's own thing, like they gobbled up a bunch of smaller companies and still haven't brought it all under the corpoate mothership.

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Old 07-30-2007, 08:17 AM   #3008
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALK3011
i need the serial number of the card (and am afraid to take it out to get it)
You can pull it out anytime. Just put it back in the same slot it came from, and don't put it in the other slot or put a different card in the original slot even once.

If you are really paranoid, you can do this with the receiver power turned off which absolutely assures nothing in the receiver recognizes you temporarily removed the card to look at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #3009
Gerhard

Quote:
Need some advice BEFORE I call again.
I had a cable card nightmare. ...... after waiting all day on Saturday, the installer came at the end of the day to install the cards, but he did not bring them (it was not on his order). I called comcast and made a stink and actually got them to agree not only to a sunday call, but also that since I waited all day, that I would be the first appointment.

The installer showed up with single stream cards and 2 multi-stream cards. (just in case - LOL)
Well....he was nice and all but clearly the people on the phone who activate them, so not know what they are doing. THe don't ask for any of the numbers that come up on the screen and cannot get them activated. We re-boot, we re-do the guided set up. OVER AND OVER. After FOUR HOURS I was fairly fed up. It was a nice day outside and I had now lost two days.

I told the installer to leave all the cards -- and he did! I have a multi-stream card in and actually it is working on both tuners - I get my digital channels, I get my HD channels, but I am not getting my premium channels - any of my HBO or HD HBO channels.

I am almost afraid to mess with it, but dont know what to do. Here are my questions - i need the serial number of the card (and am afraid to take it out to get it), and has anyone had success in asking the right questions or getting the right technician on the phone to help them get the card activated???? I am in Chicago. And I would love to get this solved today.

thanks!!!!!
Ok, the first thing is that you should problem just keep using the card that's in there.

The next thing is to go to the card setup screens and write down all of the number that are on those pages. You need the card s/n, you need the UID, and maybe something else.

Then, you call up Comcast and ask them to have the card authorized for premium channels.

What probably happened, especially if you are getting digital channels above 100, is that they didn't setup you account billing information properly. As such, you are not authorized to get premium content.

If you only get the non-digital channels, then it's like the card is not authorized at all...

It sounds like you are close to getting everything working.

Make sure you have the card's serial number when you call... because that's how Comcast determines how to send initalization parameters to the CC.

If you don't have it, restart the Tivo and pull the power... then pull out the card and write down the info on the back of it.

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Old 07-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #3010
Chris Beveridge

Finally got my TivoHD box yesterday and got it setup, made the call to comcast and the rep had no clue about what to do. Suggested just going to the local office to get the cards and going from there since he couldn't even figure out the difference between single and multi.

So I went in this morning, dropped off my box and asked for the cards to be setup. They can't hand out hardware there apparently but they could set an install date. Fine, fine. Then I'm told that the cards only work with TVs and not Tivo's.

Eh?

I figure she just means that they don't work with on demand programming which is fine, but it made me do a double take. "Our cablecards don't work with tivo, just TVs" was the emphatic statement. They also apparently don't carry multistream cards so I'll end up with two cards at about $2.75 each...
Chris Beveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:46 AM   #3011
Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Beveridge
Finally got my TivoHD box yesterday and got it setup, made the call to comcast and the rep had no clue about what to do. Suggested just going to the local office to get the cards and going from there since he couldn't even figure out the difference between single and multi.

So I went in this morning, dropped off my box and asked for the cards to be setup. They can't hand out hardware there apparently but they could set an install date. Fine, fine. Then I'm told that the cards only work with TVs and not Tivo's.

Eh?

I figure she just means that they don't work with on demand programming which is fine, but it made me do a double take. "Our cablecards don't work with tivo, just TVs" was the emphatic statement. They also apparently don't carry multistream cards so I'll end up with two cards at about $2.75 each...
That's nonsense. As usual, the Comcast person hasn't been trained...

So, what you do, is you call and you lie.

"I need service setup for my TV that take two Cable Cards."

Don't mention the Tivo at all.

I've done this a few times, and it works like a champ.

Also, reiterate that you need TWO cable cards, and make sure they note it on the work order.

Generally, Comcast will not let you pickup cable cards. Some areas yes, most no.

Gerhard

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Old 07-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #3012
CCourtney

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoShoe
Thought I would pitch in my information:

Houston, Texas COMCAST (Recently changed over from TimeWarner)

You can pickup CableCards from all the local ComCast storefronts yourself, no "professional install required" stuff. They just give you a printed out sheet of paper with CableCard setup instructions and a phone number to call for getting the CC's paired up.

No monthly service fees for the cards, ComCast Houston insists they are a "free service".
Yes and No. If you're on their new pricing structure there's no charge. I'm still on the old pricing structure and I get charged $1.75 each.

CCourtney
Old 07-30-2007, 08:50 AM   #3013
Chris Beveridge

I figured they were just being unclear on the subject in some way. If I hadn't been at least a bit aware of what's involved with cablecards I can imagine someone else getting quite upset with either comcast and/or tivo over the thing.
Chris Beveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:06 AM   #3014
AGBulls

Like many, I changed to the Comcast HD DVR and have been disappointed. Being clogged with ads and totally unintuitive, I'm ready to go back to Tivo with the new $299 unit.

If I do take the jump, I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to get a multi-stream card from Comcast Chicago (woohoo!). However, this whole talk about this upcoming new channel technology has me worried. How likely is it that my Tivo HD could become obsolete in a year's time with the SD channels not being available?

I'm willing to sacrifice On-demand, since it really seems there is no way around that. But if the Tivo doesn't work in a year (or even two) I don't think my wife will ever let me hear the end of it. I'm selling some stuff on ebay just to buy this new one as is. Anyone with a real clue on this upcoming channel technology? I'm not super familiar with it, and really just don't want to get screwed.
AGBulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #3015
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
... We re-boot, we re-do the guided set up. OVER AND OVER. After FOUR HOURS I was fairly fed up.
Just a reminder to everyone to never do the guided setup as part of the cable card install with a cable company tech there. It is a total waste of time, especially if you are having cable card activation problems. Channels can be checked from within the cable card setup screen. Once the cable cards are working and verified then you can do the tedious guided setup at your leasure.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #3016
c_tripps_2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjl21

I have had to deal with "Comcrap" in Memphis numerous times. It is so bad here that I actually had to visit the corporate office a couple of times to get anything done. The workers here are not trained properly and they have extremely bad attitudes. It's is virtually imposible to even get through to anyone that can get anything done. It took me 2 weeks to get info on cable cards and to actually get them installed and working properly.
c_tripps_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #3017
jimtedjeske

Arrow Card #2 Missing Digital and Premium Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcohen
Premium Channel Woes!
Had my Comcast visit yesterday. Tech brought only 2 cards. We followed instructions (card 1, then card 2). But after each "hit" only got basic channels. He explained it "takes time" for card to download all channel information. But he gave me his number and said to call in an hour if no change. Called in an hour and he got a second "hit" sent. Both cards now showed digital channels but only one card displayed premium (HBO) channels. Second tech came next morning and replaced card 2. Still no premium channels. Called TIVO - who said it is a Comcast issue.

Has anyone had experience where premium channels not displayed for only one card?
I live in Peters Twp and am on my third visit from Comcast. One card functions great. Card #2 receives only basic channels and also recieves HD channnels but no digital channels and no premium channels. During setup of the card on nchanging to a new channel you can sometimes get a flash of the channel before it gets blocked. I am calling for visit #4 today.
jimtedjeske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #3018
wizzy
S1, (2) S2, TivoHD

I picked up my M card this morning in Chicago. They gave me a generic 800# to call to activate, which took me to normal tech support. They tried to activate, but I'm not getting HBO or most other digital channels (although clear-QAM channels are showing up mapped to their correct location, so something did work). I'm supposed to get a call back from their cable card group within 4 hours..I'm sure it's a switch that didn't get flipped, but at least (hopefully) I won't have to wait til later this week for a tech to come out.
wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #3019
marjl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_tripps_2k
I have had to deal with "Comcrap" in Memphis numerous times. It is so bad here that I actually had to visit the corporate office a couple of times to get anything done. The workers here are not trained properly and they have extremely bad attitudes. It's is virtually imposible to even get through to anyone that can get anything done. It took me 2 weeks to get info on cable cards and to actually get them installed and working properly.

Success! I finally found someone that knew how to properly activate cable cards and we got them to work on the first try! After three weeks, hopefully I am finally done having to deal with them. I just got my recent bill... I was charged 24.95 for cable transfer and 19.95 for internet transfer, but then there was a $70 credit on my bill! I got mad at one of the CSR's about how they had screwed up my initial installation (no cable cards, although on the work order) and demanded that the transfer fees be waved. She declined to wave them, although it looks like someone did and then some.
marjl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #3020
ALK3011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzy
I picked up my M card this morning in Chicago. They gave me a generic 800# to call to activate, which took me to normal tech support. They tried to activate, but I'm not getting HBO or most other digital channels (although clear-QAM channels are showing up mapped to their correct location, so something did work). I'm supposed to get a call back from their cable card group within 4 hours..I'm sure it's a switch that didn't get flipped, but at least (hopefully) I won't have to wait til later this week for a tech to come out.

I am getting digital but not HBO - i am now waiting for that same call. I refused to have a technition come since I am capable of reading the numbers off the screen to the tech. This is maddening. I complained and did receive a credit of the $17.98 installation charge and a $20 credit to boot. But still no call and still not HBO.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #3021
levineaj

My TiVo HD experience (Comcast in Chicago)

I went to the Comcast office on North Ave. on Saturday morning with my Comcast DVR box. In about five minutes I traded my DVR for two cablecards.
When I got home and set up my TiVo HD, I put one card in (as instructed). TiVo recognized the card as a Multistream card and instructed me to not put in a second card.

Being curious, I saw that I could receive maybe about 20 low-numbered channels. I then called Comcast to start service on my new card. After about 30 minutes of attempts, placing on hold, etc. I did not get any service initialized. I was told that a higher level tech who specialized in this sort of thing would call me in about 3-4 hours. After 5 hours, I called them back and was informed that they had scheduled an on-site technician visit for me on Monday. Mind you, they never informed me of this! How would they think I should know to be at home for this automatically scheduled visit?? Very frustrating. On the plus side, she said she would give me some sort of credit. Not sure of the amount, though.

So anyhow, a technician came to my place this morning and after about 10 minutes of reading in settings to the main office, my channels began to come in.
Interestingly, he said that both cards had to be in the TiVo, even though one is a multistream card (the second card is not). He didn't really explain why that is. (Does Comcast not yet support multistream cards yet?)
He also said that the cards were assigned to my account but not activated at all. So whoever I talked with on Saturday did not know what they were doing.

The technician then told me how, in his opinion, he did not like cablecards and much preferred cable boxes. Normally I would have debated this, but I just wanted everything fixed so I could get to work.
Long story short, it was a bit of a hassle. I think if you are debating whether to do a self-install or have a technician come out, you may want to err on the safe side and just schedule a visit.

Hope this helps anyone thinking about getting TiVo HD in Chicago.
levineaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #3022
adamwsh

I just called stupid Comcast to ask about CableCards. The first guy I spoke to said I CAN pick them up at my local service office (Philadelphia, PA suburbs). Then I asked him for a phone number of that office so I could call them to make sure they had them in stock so I didn't waste a trip. He couldn't find the number and got really cocky with me about it. So I asked for his supervisor and was left on hold for over 10 minutes before I hung up.

I called back and (of course) got another CSR. This one told me that I could NOT pick up the cards and they have to be installed. I was told there would be $16 charge to install them.

Nice conflicting info.

I scheduled an appointment for this Saturday 8-10am. I'm going to pick up my new HD Tivo (the $299 one) from Best Buy tonight, so it should be all setup with the lastest software and ready to go with the Comcast tech guy shows up.

Oh, I also asked the CSR to make sure she noted the work order that the tech should bring a multi-stream card and maybe more than one just in case the first one doesn't work.

I'll try to post a follow-up after he has come and gone. Cross your fingers for me that all goes well!
Two Tivo Series2s (One Lifetime, One Monthly)
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
adamwsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #3023
AGBulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by levineaj
I went to the Comcast office on North Ave. on Saturday morning with my Comcast DVR box. In about five minutes I traded my DVR for two cablecards.
When I got home and set up my TiVo HD, I put one card in (as instructed). TiVo recognized the card as a Multistream card and instructed me to not put in a second card.

Being curious, I saw that I could receive maybe about 20 low-numbered channels. I then called Comcast to start service on my new card. After about 30 minutes of attempts, placing on hold, etc. I did not get any service initialized. I was told that a higher level tech who specialized in this sort of thing would call me in about 3-4 hours. After 5 hours, I called them back and was informed that they had scheduled an on-site technician visit for me on Monday. Mind you, they never informed me of this! How would they think I should know to be at home for this automatically scheduled visit?? Very frustrating. On the plus side, she said she would give me some sort of credit. Not sure of the amount, though.

So anyhow, a technician came to my place this morning and after about 10 minutes of reading in settings to the main office, my channels began to come in.
Interestingly, he said that both cards had to be in the TiVo, even though one is a multistream card (the second card is not). He didn't really explain why that is. (Does Comcast not yet support multistream cards yet?)
He also said that the cards were assigned to my account but not activated at all. So whoever I talked with on Saturday did not know what they were doing.

The technician then told me how, in his opinion, he did not like cablecards and much preferred cable boxes. Normally I would have debated this, but I just wanted everything fixed so I could get to work.
Long story short, it was a bit of a hassle. I think if you are debating whether to do a self-install or have a technician come out, you may want to err on the safe side and just schedule a visit.

Hope this helps anyone thinking about getting TiVo HD in Chicago.
Extremely useful advice from another Chicagoan...thanks! I'm still worried that if I go get the new Tivo, that I might regret it when Comcast releases their new DVR Tivo software (who knows when that actually is). I'll be very curious to hear your experiences if possible on how you like it or don't. Also, where did you actually buy yours? It seems like every single Circuit City is sold out as of todayin the area.
AGBulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #3024
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard
Based on what the guy a Comcast said to me, Comcast is attempting to provide poor, at best, support for cable cards in an attempt to make end users go away.
That was my impression
Old 07-30-2007, 04:06 PM   #3025
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCourtney
Yes and No. If you're on their new pricing structure there's no charge. I'm still on the old pricing structure and I get charged $1.75 each.
Does anyone have a link to any kind of rate sheet that shows the charges for cable cards by themselves?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #3026
wizzy
S1, (2) S2, TivoHD

Quote:
I am getting digital but not HBO - i am now waiting for that same call. I refused to have a technition come since I am capable of reading the numbers off the screen to the tech. This is maddening. I complained and did receive a credit of the $17.98 installation charge and a $20 credit to boot. But still no call and still not HBO.

I'm now in the same boat as you. Everything works but HBO, and a tech is coming out tomorrow. Every time I go to HBO, I get the cable card info screen, and have to hit clear to proceed.

I called back after the 4 hour mark, and this technician said there was no other department, that they used the "4 hour" call back just to see if it magically started working. It wasn't working, so she sent a couple more signals, and one of them mostly worked.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #3027
ALK3011

well...i just called back again too! She could not find my "ticket" and said she sent another "hit" as well. i still get that same screen. She told me that she is seaching for a technition to help me.

I shared all my frustrations and now have recieved a credit for yesterday's installation fee of $17.98 and TWO $20 credits. but still no HBO. I am SO mad. I do not need a technition here, nor do i need a technition here - i can read the numbers. (Plus the technition left me 4 other single stream cards!) I have an m-card in there now.

I am almost ready to just cancel the HBO service, save the $ there and call it a day.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #3028
wizzy
S1, (2) S2, TivoHD

I spoke too soon. Not sure what they did, but I'm back to nothing working again. Guess I'll wait for the tech to show up in the morning.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #3029
ALK3011

Quote:
I spoke too soon. Not sure what they did, but I'm back to nothing working again. Guess I'll wait for the tech to show up in the morning.
oh - i am so sorry. If they don't get this fixed - i am cancelling HBO. I can rent a DVD and get better picture and sound. THe HBO shows i watched are not on anymore anyway. TIVO was supposed to make this easier not harder. I know why i had a DirectTV Tivo now - never a problem - EVER - but I could not get HD Direct TV - dish would not fit.

I am NOT waiting for another technician. He did NOTHING for 4 hours yesterday but talk on the phone to tech support. I can do that myself.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #3030
ALK3011

Quote:

If your tech helps you, could you find out what EXACTLY he did and post it - and his name and ID number so I can request him. (are you using an M card or 2 S cards?)

thanks