TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2007, 02:04 AM   #1
spike2k5

Tivo HD Finally Upgraded

It's upgraded using WinMFS.

(New - Includes Tivo HD upgraded to 2.5 TB)
Screenshots are here.

Beta Guide is here.

Support and download can be found here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by spike2k5 : 08-25-2007 at 05:01 PM.
spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:22 AM   #2
joneSi

Let me be the first to say "You=Rockstar"

I'm sure more info to follow in the next few days, looking forward to it.

joneSi
joneSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:37 AM   #3
bkdtv

Has this been tested under Windows Vista?

Is an updated version of MFSLive in the works too?
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
jmpage2

So basically put the original drive as well as the new, larger one, into a SATA equipped PC and off to the races.

I would also need to know if this runs under Vista since unfortunately that's what my one SATA equipped PC is running.

//EDIT

Nevermind, this looks to be a CD bootable application, so no install worried at all.

750GB drives from several manufacturers are going for around $210 shipped. Is there a particular one that's recommended?

Last edited by jmpage2 : 07-30-2007 at 09:35 AM.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
jmpage2

Looks like they say that Tivo HD is supported in the tools, but then there's another update indicating that the Alpha version 2 will support Tivo HD and is not out yet.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Looks like they say that Tivo HD is supported in the tools, but then there's another update indicating that the Alpha version 2 will support Tivo HD and is not out yet.

It's not out yet. Bootable CD is a linux version which does not contain this support.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Has this been tested under Windows Vista?
I will test it on Vista soon. I don't see why it wouldn't work on it.

Quote:
Is an updated version of MFSLive in the works too?
I don't think I will be updating Mfstools included in MFSLive Linux Bootable CD. It would require almost complete rewrite to make it work so I don't have time to do so but if I do, it will be much later.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
mchips

Thanks for the thread... I wasn't going to get a TiVo HD until I knew I could upgrade it myself...

I want to be able to upgrade as well as re-image the drive myself, especially when necessary if the drive begins having problems after continued use... often it isn't necessary to buy a new drive when it starts having problems, as a reimage of the drive can resolve many of its problems...

I had always been a supporter of Weeknees, as they had always provided instructions for self-upgrades, as well as provided a service to those who were unable or did not want to do the upgrade themselves, until recently... now they're withholding what they know in what appears to be an attempt to force more to rely on them... not cool... unless someone knows something I don't with respect to this...

In any case, my thanks to the OP and MFSLive...

cynˇic
n.
- A person whose outlook is scornfully and often habitually negative.

The Greek word kunikos, from which cynic comes, was originally an adjective meaning "doglike," from kuōn, "dog."

mchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:27 AM   #9
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2k5
It's not out yet. Bootable CD is a linux version which does not contain this support.
Anyone have any idea of when this will be made available as a beta or otherwise? Would the CLI Series 3 instructions work for the HD Tivo?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchips
now they're withholding what they know in what appears to be an attempt to force more to rely on them... not cool... unless someone knows something I don't with respect to this...
all they might be withholding is how they themsleves figured out to do the upgrades. What they post in their instructions is what is known in the wild. basically compiling all the info into one concise, best practice document. Plus they never gavea promise to keep it updated in a timely manner anyway. Why begrudge them the chance to sell some upgrades when the market is hot? I personally would also do my own upgrades and know the how of it so I can deal with any troubleshooting of my TiVo but there are plenty of people figuring out how to upgrade the TiVo HD as more or less a public service that allows a commercial venture to just sell the upgrades and not have to give the knowhow directly.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:33 AM   #11
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
I will test it on Vista soon. I don't see why it wouldn't work on it.

I don't think I will be updating Mfstools included in MFSLive Linux Bootable CD. It would require almost complete rewrite to make it work so I don't have time to do so but if I do, it will be much later.
I think us casual upgraders who just upgrade our own systems as we get them will like a windows version very much. Thanks
Old 07-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #12
dvr4me

I have updated the information regarding this on the TiVo HD FAQ.

Thanks for your work spike2k5.
dvr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #13
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchips
I had always been a supporter of Weeknees, as they had always provided instructions for self-upgrades, as well as provided a service to those who were unable or did not want to do the upgrade themselves, until recently... now they're withholding what they know in what appears to be an attempt to force more to rely on them... not cool... unless someone knows something I don't with respect to this...
Tivo Inc made some changes in MFS so none of the previous upgrade tools will work. I think any upgrading company using mfstools won't be able to upgrade.

Tivo HD was released last week and many including myself assumed that mfstools will work. I got it last friday and took me all weekend to make it work. So I'm sure many upgrading companies just found out as well and are scrambling to make it work. If you want to find out, you can order one from them and see if they'll send you one right away. I'm pretty sure they can't.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #14
jmpage2

Quote:
Tivo Inc made some changes in MFS so none of the previous upgrade tools will work. I think any upgrading company using mfstools won't be able to upgrade.

Tivo HD was released last week and many including myself assumed that mfstools will work. I got it last friday and took me all weekend to make it work. So I'm sure many upgrading companies just found out as well and are scrambling to make it work. If you want to find out, you can order one from them and see if they'll send you one right away. I'm pretty sure they can't.
Are we looking at a matter of weeks or months before the new software is released to the eager consumers out there?

Old 07-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #15
spike2k5

Quote:
Are we looking at a matter of weeks or months before the new software is released to the eager consumers out there?
Will be available for alpha testers in few days.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:13 AM   #16
mchips

Quote:

That makes me feel a little better about Weaknees... I had just lost a little respect for them when I read they increased their prices overnight, with people assuming they knew how to do it while no one else did (with speculation they may be getting help directly from TiVo)... it just appeared greedy to me... much like when people would take advantage of people who just experienced a natural disaster, like a hurricane, earthquake, etc., by gouging the prices of necessities like water (which is now thankfully illegal)...

I still see that they provide a good service for those who can't or don't want to upgrade themselves, and I had hoped there was more to the story than what I'd read thus far, which is why I said "unless someone knows something I don't with respect to this."

Hopefully, there will always be someone out there willing to share what they know or find out...

cynˇic
n.
- A person whose outlook is scornfully and often habitually negative.

The Greek word kunikos, from which cynic comes, was originally an adjective meaning "doglike," from kuōn, "dog."

mchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #17
WeBoat

Incredible. What an effort!
WeBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:18 AM   #18
jmpage2

Quote:
Will be available for alpha testers in few days.
That's awesome! Will the alpha support just single drive to single drive upgrades or will it support doing upgrades to a pair of drives, etc?

I'm contemplating getting a pair of smaller SATA drives as opposed to shelling out the bucks for a 750GB or 1TB model.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #19
bkdtv

Quote:
750GB drives from several manufacturers are going for around $210 shipped. Is there a particular one that's recommended?
See FAQ #30 of the Series3 eSATA Drive Expansion FAQ. The same drive recommendations apply for internal use.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #20
jmpage2

Quote:
See FAQ #30 of the Series3 eSATA Drive Expansion FAQ. The same drive recommendations apply for internal use.
Those drive recommendations are for drives used with eSATA enclosures. It's a good place to start though. I'm familiar with the difference between desktop and server class hard drives but I was not familiar with drives that are 'certified' for 24/7 use.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #21
bkdtv

Quote:
Those drive recommendations are for drives used with eSATA enclosures. It's a good place to start though. I'm familiar with the difference between desktop and server class hard drives but I was not familiar with drives that are 'certified' for 24/7 use.
The FAQ is about eSATA but the drives themselves are the same. The only difference is that external (eSATA) use requires an enclosure.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #22
SCSIRAID

Quote:

This begs one question..... If they remerge the source tree and release new firmware for the original S3... will an S3 upgraded with MFStools stop working due to MFS changes in the the new firmware???
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #23
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
This begs one question..... If they remerge the source tree and release new firmware for the original S3... will an S3 upgraded with MFStools stop working due to MFS changes in the the new firmware???
If they do merge the source tree, they would have to update MFS and that might not be easy. I have an idea as to how to do it. Maybe they figured it out already. Who knows.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #24
rodalpho

Huh. Isn't this the first time they've changed the FS definitions in, like, forever? Why would they do that? Maybe it's required for MRV/TTG with cablelabs' blessing? That would kinda suck for the old S3 owners, if so.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #25
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodalpho
Huh. Isn't this the first time they've changed the FS definitions in, like, forever?
I haven't been around long enough to know there were any previous changes. My interested in Tivo dates back only to 2005, thus "2k5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodalpho
Why would they do that? Maybe it's required for MRV/TTG with cablelabs' blessing? That would kinda suck for the old S3 owners, if so.
Changes are due to 64bit addressing schema for hard drive access in MFS.
Looks like it's designed to lift 2TiB limit on the total hard drive storage space but I'm not sure it did. Like I said, maybe they figured it out for old S3.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #26
rodalpho

Ahhhhh OK. Good news, then.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #27
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

I had an email exchange with Lou Jacob of DVRupgrade.com today and he told me that the pre-orders for the expanded TiVo HD were based on the expectation of the existing tools working. His best guess is that WeaKnees is in the same boat.

He also told me he's been in contact with Spike2k5 and is following the development of his tool, so they may be using that soon to process the orders. He said they're also open to commissioning someone to re-write MFSTools and they'd return the modified version to the community - maybe Spike2k5 can get a commission for the work and do it sooner rather than later?

They'll be contacting anyone who ordered an expanded HD to let them know the situation and people can wait or cancel their orders without any trouble. TiVo is not working with them.

So it looks like Spike2k5 is the first to get this working.

|
|
|

Last edited by megazone : 07-31-2007 at 11:32 PM.
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

Will the Bumwine method work?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #29
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

I doubt it since they just use MFSTools to do the expansion and that does not work on the new partitions.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #30
GoldenTiger
Tivo Pony =)!

Where can I download this? The link just has mfslive, not WinMFS ... I gather it's not publicly released yet, but is there anywhere I can grab it to see if it works for me? If not, it's not like I couldn't just re-image the drive from the original image . I'm running on Vista64, as well, and would like to see if it will even work with that. I have the cable guy coming with my cablecards on Thursday morning, so I want to have the TiVo HD prepped by then.
GoldenTiger is offline   Reply With Quote