TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #421
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I have the sneaking suspicion that, when M-Cards become available, they'll cost the same to rent as two regular cards.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:37 AM   #422
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwatch_1999
I can report that Montgomery County, MD seems to have the same local HD pixelation problems (801-809) as the folks down in Texas. Verizon fiber support seems at a loss so if anyone has found the solution to this problem, please post. Otherwise, I am afraid I'm back to Comcast.
Was there ever a resolution to this? I had FIOS TV installed yesterday in Falls Church, VA, and sure enough, my local HD channels (801-809 & 860-???) are pixelating. What have people done to resolve these issues?
Martin Tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:09 AM   #423
bdraw

Why not just use an antenna? You'll probably get more channels anyways.

One of the favorite things about the S3 is how well it integrates OTA and Cable/FIOS. I know it's silly, but it's also nice to have the locals where they belong, at channel 3, 10, 13, and 28, rather than 803, 810 etc.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:28 AM   #424
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw
Why not just use an antenna? You'll probably get more channels anyways.

One of the favorite things about the S3 is how well it integrates OTA and Cable/FIOS. I know it's silly, but it's also nice to have the locals where they belong, at channel 3, 10, 13, and 28, rather than 803, 810 etc.
I've been using OTA exclusively for 3 months with my Series 3. However, multipath issues and different tower locations prevent me from getting all of my locals reliably with my current (silver sensor) antenna. While I could invest in an array of rooftop antennae to (hopefully) improve the reliability of my reception, that's what I'm paying Verizon for.
Martin Tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #425
bdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Tupper
While I could invest in an array of rooftop antennae to (hopefully) improve the reliability of my reception, that's what I'm paying Verizon for.
I'm with you on that one, all the channels should work, period.

But at the same time, if I liked everything about FIOS except one problem that may or may not be fixed down the road; and I could resolve this myself while at the same time take advantage of a few other benefits, then why not?

Also, whether you have Comcast or FIOS, the OTA antenna can come in handy for when your service is unavailable because of a storm, the quality is sometimes better and more channels to boot. All this for under $100, seems hard to beat.

Here is my current antenna config.
http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/01/30...d-demystified/
Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #426
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard
Since I'm hogging the thread anyway...

I did notice that some of the channels are at 97% and others are at 100% signal strength.

Yesturday, with the drop amp reinstalled, I was seeing signals around 90%.

So I think there may be intermittant issues FIOS TV in the Germantown, MD area.
I doubt a problem in your area would cause a lower signal strength on the S3.

The ONT on the side of your house generates the signal strength for the co-ax in your house. I had some issues early on with my Series 3 last year and ended up replacing some old co-ax in my attic.
musicforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #427
Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Tupper
Was there ever a resolution to this? I had FIOS TV installed yesterday in Falls Church, VA, and sure enough, my local HD channels (801-809 & 860-???) are pixelating. What have people done to resolve these issues?
Interestingly, I notice that when I first has the FIOS TV Installed, the 800 series channels had motion based pixelization. (Like a highly compressed signal...)

After a day or two, it suddenly stopped.

The recent pixelization that we were experiencing here was most like distortion, similar to what happens what wind moves a satelite dish back and forth...

Gerhard

Every seen the movie office space? These Tivos are in the Xerox II graveyard:

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #428
pugsley07302

Quote:
Anyone is the Montgomery Country, Maryland Area having problems with there Verizon FIOS TV service and their Tivo 3 over the last week?

I'm getting what I'd call garble (distortion) on the screen of many of my channels intermittantly.

My cable card installation was a few months ago, and everything pretty much went well. However, now I'm seeing this issue.

To say that Verizon has been a PITA is an understatement, but for us it's not be on the technology side, but with there billing. They turned off our service because the tech never told them he finished the install, so we got a free month of FIOS TV... I can't imagine that them reactivating the cards would cause any issues.

Oh, an I didn't let the tech install the new router or any of the additional on-demand stuff... I simply want normal TV service.
Yep - same problem in North Bethesda -- pixelating on non-HD channels - very badly on Comedy Central and FX... are you having same issue?
pugsley07302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:53 PM   #429
bdraw

Had my FIOS CableCARD installed today, they guy had 5 cards with him and none were multi-stream cards. He said he hadn't heard of the M-Card before. Overall I am very satisfied with my install. Both guys were knowledgeable and they did a great job.

Thanks to this forum on the heads of of that 161-1 error, it saved me some grief. One card of the four I had installed, still isn't showing up as authorized, but we couldn't get it working. I told him I would wait a few days before calling support.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #430
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Ahk! No FIOS over here yet. I'm stuck with Bright House. Who knows how much the BH cards cost?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #431
bdraw

In Tampa they charge $4/mo, FIOS charges $3/mo. Both are overpriced, but $3 is better than $4. Hopefully when the S3 is upgraded to support M-Cards, I can cut by bill down even further.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:14 PM   #432
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
In Tampa they charge $4/mo, FIOS charges $3/mo. Both are overpriced, but $3 is better than $4. Hopefully when the S3 is upgraded to support M-Cards, I can cut by bill down even further.
Right now I pay app. $32:

DVR Service 9.95
Digital Add'l Outlet .95
DVR Service 6.95
DVR Smart Box 6.95
HD DVR Smart Box 6.95

Plus $12.95 TiVo

When I get the new TiVonI'll pay for 2 cards, and whatever else they stick me for. Oh yeah, and the price of the Tivo and the new TV (so I'll save money, huh.)
Old 07-29-2007, 11:01 PM   #433
bdraw

I'll let you know when I get my first bill.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:22 AM   #434
Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory
Right now I pay app. $32:

DVR Service 9.95
Digital Add'l Outlet .95
DVR Service 6.95
DVR Smart Box 6.95
HD DVR Smart Box 6.95

Plus $12.95 TiVo

When I get the new TiVonI'll pay for 2 cards, and whatever else they stick me for. Oh yeah, and the price of the Tivo and the new TV (so I'll save money, huh.)
I was paying about $140.00/month for Comcast, and with the same service from Verizon I'm paying $90.00/month.

I really should break out the bill and see what the specific charges are.

Basically, I'm getting the 15/2 FIOS Internet service with FIOS TV for what I used to pay for just Comcast.

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Old 07-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #435
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
I was paying about $140.00/month for Comcast, and with the same service from Verizon I'm paying $90.00/month.

I really should break out the bill and see what the specific charges are.

Basically, I'm getting the 15/2 FIOS Internet service with FIOS TV for what I used to pay for just Comcast.
I also have charges of $73 which include a conglomeration of my internet services and assorted TV services (written in near bafflegab) so my total monthly charges are 113.10
Old 07-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #436
bdraw

I waited a few days and still no luck on the 2nd CableCARD in my TiVo. It still insisted it was NOT_SUBSCRIBED in the conditional access CableCARD menu. So I called tonight and the guy said, sure I can fix that, just give me a sec. Honestly I didn't believe him, but a few minutes later I was up and running. I have to say that it seems like Verizon has a handle on things, especially compared to Bright House Networks. We'll see if I say the same thing after I request a M-Card for the TiVo HD I'm expecting.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:10 AM   #437
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
I waited a few days and still no luck on the 2nd CableCARD in my TiVo. It still insisted it was NOT_SUBSCRIBED in the conditional access CableCARD menu. So I called tonight and the guy said, sure I can fix that, just give me a sec. Honestly I didn't believe him, but a few minutes later I was up and running. I have to say that it seems like Verizon has a handle on things, especially compared to Bright House Networks. We'll see if I say the same thing after I request a M-Card for the TiVo HD I'm expecting.
Congratulations! You are a terrific canary for us!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #438
bhaas

what FIOS chnls avail without card?

Is VZ sending any QAM chnls in the clear? If so, is the card necessary at all if one does not watch premium channels? I'm curious, because the FIOS system is inherently less prone to cable theft since its optical up to your house, thus VZ may not feel the need to encrypt all their digital chnls, just the a la carte ones?

I know the card serves for more than just decrypting, but...

Has anyone (Anne Arundel Maryland, specifically) been able to view/record without the card(s) installed? I know 2-49 are analog and it'll see those with or without the card.

If digitals are watchable without the card, what ones? locals only? all the SD non-premiums? SD+HD non-premiums?

I do not have any premium channels, just the standard pkg.

thx.
bhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #439
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaas
Has anyone (Anne Arundel Maryland, specifically) been able to view/record without the card(s) installed? I know 2-49 are analog and it'll see those with or without the card.

If digitals are watchable without the card, what ones? locals only? all the SD non-premiums? SD+HD non-premiums?
Just 2-49 are viewable without the CableCARD(s) installed.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #440
bhaas

thanks
bhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #441
bdraw

FIOS does have alot of clear QAM channels, but I'm not sure about watching them via the S3. The first 40 channels are clear, as well as all the OTA HD channels and many of the music channels.

What isn't there ire channels like ESPN-HD, Discovery HD etc.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #442
PlanoHD

I have Verizon FIOS in Plano, TX. My Series 3 started having problems again in mid-July. HD and non-HD channels are now pixelating so much that most of the recordings can't be watched. For a while, the problem was on non-HD channels but now it's on both. Several months ago, I was having problems with pixelation on local HD channels but it magically went away after a month or so of going back and forth with TIVO and Verizon about the problem. Does anyone know what the latest TIVO software update is and when it came out?
PlanoHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:44 AM   #443
Ilene

Ditto here also in Plano.
After months of trying nearly everything posted in all the threads with no success, I decided to check all my connections from the TiVo to the TV including the cable from the wall. I also checked my modem connections, making sure everything was securely connected. Don't really know if this worked or not, but from 4/10 - mid-July the pixelation went away. I officially received 8.3 on 5/10, but I wonder if the beta version being out there positively affected things. Now like PlanoHD, it's back!!! (I haven't repeated the above-too much work to get behind the furniture to recheck the wiring and the modem connections.)

What's changed? Nothing on my part (I did attach an external drive, but that was weeks ago). But TiVo did release the cheaper version of the S3 with 8.1. Just seems too coincidental to me....

I am not too worried about this right now, but when the fall season starts up, I won't be happy. I record "must see TV" on my S2 as a back up (luckily it is a recorder so I can burn a DVD to watch in the living room - as most that have posted here have been whining about - I would prefer to MRV from my S2 to my S3, but we all know that we can't do it. Really don't understand the logic. From me to me, non "digital". And if I were to transfer from S3 to S2 wouldn't be in HD (but I am getting off topic -sorry).
Series 2 Lifetime (retired)
Pioneer 810H Recorder Lifetime (retired)
Verizon Fios
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:12 AM   #444
PlanoHD

After reading some of the recent posts about the Series 3 slot 2 issues, I decided to remove the card in slot 2. The pixelation appears to be gone and I am hopeful that perhaps I will have one tuner until TIVO fixes the problem. However, this leaves me with only one working tuner. The "experiment" is still underway but this is what I did:

1. Removed the card in slot 2.
2. Restarted the TIVO.
3. Re-programmed the card in slot 1 through the TIVO setup menus.
PlanoHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #445
Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsley07302
Yep - same problem in North Bethesda -- pixelating on non-HD channels - very badly on Comedy Central and FX... are you having same issue?
Yepper... but it's not a specific channel with any rhyme or reason to it... it just seems to happen.

As of the other day, I was still getting distortion type pixelization every once in a while.

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Old 08-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #446
Ron Tobin

Does anyone have a chart, sorted by frequency, of what channels are on what frequencies? That would be alot easier way to isolate the problem. It's very time consuming having to tune to each channel and then go to the diagnostics screen to determine the frequency.

It's also interesting that different pockets of the country have different issues. It's definitely a Verizon/Cable Card issue and Verizon needs to stop giving as an excuse that "they don't support Tivo". It's the cable card that they are supporting.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #447
bdraw

I have two S3 TiVos connected with FIOS and I don't have any problems what so ever, here in Tampa FL. One of the TiVos was from the initial batch, since I bought it day one; and the other I just received a few weeks ago. I also live in a brand new house with RG6 coax, and only one high quality splitter between the TiVos and the brand new ONT (just installed last week).

I know it's a pain, but maybe it would be worth a try to buy a brand new 50' RG6 coax cable from Home Depot and run it directly from the ONT to the TiVo to rule out any wiring problems. It might be possible that the TiVos are more sensitive to interference than other devices/software versions.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #448
Gerhard

Quote:
I have two S3 TiVos connected with FIOS and I don't have any problems what so ever, here in Tampa FL. One of the TiVos was from the initial batch, since I bought it day one; and the other I just received a few weeks ago. I also live in a brand new house with RG6 coax, and only one high quality splitter between the TiVos and the brand new ONT (just installed last week).

I know it's a pain, but maybe it would be worth a try to buy a brand new 50' RG6 coax cable from Home Depot and run it directly from the ONT to the TiVo to rule out any wiring problems. It might be possible that the TiVos are more sensitive to interference than other devices/software versions.
Yeah, I know that our house is wired with the heavy stuff... but there are some splitters and such, so that's why I put in the drop amp.

It's only intermttant, so that tells me that it's not a signal problem on the house side.

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Old 08-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #449
bdraw

Intermittent problems could be the amp itself, only one way to know for sure. To much signal can be worse than not enough.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #450
Gerhard

Quote:
Intermittent problems could be the amp itself, only one way to know for sure. To much signal can be worse than not enough.
The problems exisied prior to the amp's install and they really haven't changed much. (Haven't happened in the last two days...)

The drop amp is a very high end unit and specificially made for this type of application. I'm positive based on the symptoms that it's not the issue.

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB