TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
gbronzer

Question TivoHD and S1 Grandfathered Lifetime Transfers

UPDATE - 7/26/07

I received my TivoHD, and called Tivo about transferring my lifetime service from my eligible S1. They said "No problem", and within five minutes they had transferred the account. I don't know if buying it from Best Buy and not Tivo direct made a difference, but they are definetly honoring the KDB 09-07-04 code now.

---------------------

There's some confusion about the ability to transfer S1 lifetime subscriptions to the new TivoHD. According to official Tivo statements in the past, any lifetime subs from Dec. 99 or earlier can be one time transferred to all future Tivo hardware.

Quote:
Grandfather transfer: The one-time "Grandfather transfer" (for people who purchased Product Lifetime on or before January 21, 2000, and who have not already used their one-time transfer) is still allowed and will also be honored for future hardware releases from TiVo, such as the Series3. If you have any trouble when you call, please mention KDB code 09-07-04 to the agent.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ad.php?t=290723
However, users attempting to do this with the new TivoHD are being told it's not possible.

Quote:
I tried again today, and the rep explained that they got a communication yesterday morning, about grandfather transfers of lifetime, code 09-07-04, specifically telling them that it is not available for the new TiVoHD. Each rep I spoke with knew exactly what I was talking about, knew the code number before I had to give it to them, and said that it is NOT available for this model. If anyone has a different experience, please post.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5355772
Can we get a definitive answer from a Tivo Rep? I can't believe this would be the case considering the whole thing started from a class action lawsuit.

Last edited by gbronzer : 07-26-2007 at 08:44 PM.
gbronzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
MickeS

I'm surprised. I would suggest that you send an email to TiVoPony: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=newpm&u=22926

He works for TiVo and he's the one who wrote what is quoted above, which in no uncertain terms mentions "future releases" and doesn't make any explicit exceptions (and as far as I know, the TiVo HD has the words "Series 3" on the front of it, which would specifically INCLUDE it). If that is no longer the case, he needs to update that message as to avoid confusion.

Edited to fix link.

Last edited by MickeS : 07-25-2007 at 12:34 PM.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
dvr4me

The email link for Tivopony isn't working.

Try this link.
dvr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
MickeS

So did anyone find out more about this?
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
So did anyone find out more about this?
You Grandfathers are in luck. Tivo changed their policy back to allowing it. New info just this morning. call them back.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
gbronzer

bump
gbronzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
dvr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbronzer
UPDATE - 7/26/07

I received my TivoHD, and called Tivo about transferring my lifetime service from my eligible S1. They said "No problem", and within five minutes they had transferred the account. I don't know if buying it from Best Buy and not Tivo direct made a difference, but they are definetly honoring the KDB 09-07-04 code now.
Thanks for the update. I have updated the information regarding this on the TiVo HD FAQ.
dvr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:29 PM   #8
woodway

DirecTIVO too?

I purchased a lifetime service on a series 1 directivo (cannot remember the exact date, but it was right when the directivos were first offered). Any idea if these can be transferred? I'm thinking about moving off DirecTV to cable.
woodway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #9
drew00001

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodway
I purchased a lifetime service on a series 1 directivo (cannot remember the exact date, but it was right when the directivos were first offered). Any idea if these can be transferred? I'm thinking about moving off DirecTV to cable.
You need to wait for a special offer.
drew00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
robmfielding

Tivo Lifetime Grandfather Transfer

Quote:
If you activated your Tivo before January 21, 2000 and did not use your one time lifetime transfer you can use it on the Tivo HD for free. I just did it yesterday no problem and my Tivo HD is now showing lifetime. Other lifetime offers have not been announced.
robmfielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:05 AM   #11
woodway

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmfielding
If you activated your Tivo before January 21, 2000 and did not use your one time lifetime transfer you can use it on the Tivo HD for free. I just did it yesterday no problem and my Tivo HD is now showing lifetime. Other lifetime offers have not been announced.
Thanks - now I gotta figure out when I activated my Directivo!
woodway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:08 AM   #12
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Thanks - now I gotta figure out when I activated my Directivo!
You should call Tivo to confirm... I don't believe DirectTivos w/lifetime are eligible for lifetime transfers unless they changed the rules.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:16 AM   #13
robmfielding

Directivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
You should call Tivo to confirm... I don't believe DirectTivos w/lifetime are eligible for lifetime transfers unless they changed the rules.
Yeah, he is correct, I misread that you have a DirecTivo. I do not believe they are eligible. My Tivo is the original standalone Series 1. DirectTivo's lifetime subscriptions are tied to the DirecTV account and not the Tivo itself. But you can call to make sure.
robmfielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:33 AM   #14
Laserfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
You Grandfathers are in luck. Tivo changed their policy back to allowing it. New info just this morning.
Wow, that's just wonderful. I just bought an S3 but will either buy another one, or one of the new Tivo HDs to replace my aged S1 Standard Def machine.

Thank you, Tivo...
Laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #15
craigslist

Big Grin transfeered my lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr4me
Thanks for the update. I have updated the information regarding this on the TiVo HD FAQ.
I had a grandfathered tivo, activation date december,27, 1999.So i bought my new hd tivo today, called up tivo and the transfered the lifetime no problem,it took like 3 minutes
craigslist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #16
randymac88

So I apologize if this is off-topic, but does anyone know if TiVo plans on widening the date range for the grandfather in years to come? My activation date was 12/29/01 for my Lifetime...definitely way off from this offer, but at what point *should* I be eligible to receive a hardware upgrade for my old Sony S1 box?

Seems to me like if that Lifetime transfer was instituted to allow older TiVo users to upgrade their hardware, then it should be a rolling date based on your activation date (5 years? Less? More?). My TiVo is dead now, upgraded to the HD but, due to many many problems, have not been able to get it running yet. Might take it back.
randymac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #17
Hank
AC•FTW

In the early days, there was much confusion over what "lifetime" meant. So Tivo clarified their marketing materials and contracts to make it clear that "lifetime" meant lifetime of the box, and not the owner. So all people who activated lifetime before that date have a one-time lifetime transfer available to them in case they mis-understood what exactly "lifetime" meant.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #18
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
I transfered 2 Directivos w/lifetime to 2 S3s during the transfer period w/o any problem.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #19
ah30k

I think the no-directivo comment was specifically about the grandfather clause not the s3 offer to transfer for $200. Did you grandfather transfer your DirecTivos for free?
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #20
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k
I think the no-directivo comment was specifically about the grandfather clause not the s3 offer to transfer for $200. Did you grandfather transfer your DirecTivos for free?
No. I had to pay the $200. I guess I didn't read the post about being granfathered carefully. Unfortunately, it isn't the first time I didn't read a post carefully--DOH!
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #21
TheBar1
Long Time Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud
I transfered 2 Directivos w/lifetime to 2 S3s during the transfer period w/o any problem.
I'm looking to switch to TiVo HD on FiOS from my lifetimed DirectTiVo. I have not purchased a TiVO HD unit yet, so I want to make sure I take all the right steps to save money.

Is it too late to take advantage of the offer you used?

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Sony SAT-60 DirecTiVo [Est. 4/2001] (RIP 5/11/2004)
Philips DSR-708 DirecTiVo[Est. 5/2004] (RIP 8/31/07)
TiVo HD [Est. 2/2008]
TheBar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #22
silypuddy

Does anyone know the order of transfer if one buys a grandfather tivo off e-bay?

Should they transfer the lifetime s1 to themself and then to the new HD/S3

of

Should they transfer the lifetime s1 to the new HD/S3 and then to themself?

I don't want to lose the transfer option just because the s1 is transferred to me and then to the HD/S3.
silypuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:18 AM   #23
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by silypuddy
Does anyone know the order of transfer if one buys a grandfather tivo off e-bay?
I would just say be very carefuly buying a "grandfathered" S1 Tivo on ebay. It has to be both grandfathered and have valid, active lifetime service. Those are getting pretty rare these days.

I once bought a "lifetime" S1 tivo on ebay only to find out (a) it was DOA and (b) not lifetime. Luckily, the seller took it back for a full refund.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:35 AM   #24
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by silypuddy

Should they transfer the lifetime s1 to themself and then to the new HD/S3

of

Should they transfer the lifetime s1 to the new HD/S3 and then to themself?

I don't want to lose the transfer option just because the s1 is transferred to me and then to the HD/S3.
I just recently purchased a Grandfathered S1 on ebay last week, immidiately transferred it to my acct so the seller couldnt swap it to someone elses acct while you wait for it to arrive. Then picked up my TivoHD last nite and swapped the Lifetime Sub, I was a bit wary of the transferring od the unit to another acct wiping out the clause but it was A ok. Good luck. Just be sure to get that dvr service number immediately. You will need their name and address to transfer the unit, its pretty easy.
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:24 PM   #25
nomayo
High, Deaf...

It took me nearly an hour on hold, but I can confirm that they are allowing the one-time transfer to the TivoHD. They may initially balk at the idea and tell you they're not able. Just ask for a supervisor and they'll get you set up.
  • Sony SVR-2000 (160hr) Series 1 *Retired*
nomayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #26
silypuddy

I just did a transfer today.

Took 10 minutes and I didn't even have to talk to a supervisor.

Either she knew all about the grandfather clause, or just did a transfer because I was lucky.

She just asked for the old tivo number, owner's name and new tivo number.

I guess I should have tried to transfer my S2 lifetime...
Old 08-24-2007, 11:01 PM   #27
dancrevier

I called to transfer today and the woman I talked to said I could only transfer to the series 3, not the TivoHD. I called back and talked to someone else who did the transfer with no complaint.
dancrevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:29 PM   #28
Glich

I transfered mine 2 weeks ago. First the lady said they were not offering lifetime trasfers but then i said "If there from 1999 you are" she went dead air for 3-4 sec then said o o ya sorry whats the serial number? Now only if i get 7 years out of this tivo.
Glich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #29
missdona

What happens to your old series 1 when you do a transfer?

What's the best method to get a transfer? Talk to sales? Service?
missdona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:26 AM   #30
Televisionary

My lifetime S1 now says "Monthly" on tivo.com

I bought lifetime for my old 13...30-hour S1, but on tivo.com, it says it had "Monthly Service." Anyone else experience this?

-T
Televisionary is offline   Reply With Quote