TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-27-2007, 10:22 AM   #2971
TokyoShoe
Frustrated TiVoHD'er

Thought I would pitch in my information:

Houston, Texas COMCAST (Recently changed over from TimeWarner)

You can pickup CableCards from all the local ComCast storefronts yourself, no "professional install required" stuff. They just give you a printed out sheet of paper with CableCard setup instructions and a phone number to call for getting the CC's paired up.

No monthly service fees for the cards, ComCast Houston insists they are a "free service".
TokyoShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #2972
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnacl
I've been going back and forth with Comcast for the past 2 months, politely I might add, and got nowhere. The issue is time wasted trying to accomplish anything. In the past two days I've called the 800 number twice and got two widely varying price quotes for adding a TiVo HD to my (now) existing SA8300HD, one quote was nearly $40.00 a month.
Do you know if your cable company has been deploying SA8300HDCs since the July 1st deadline? The SA8300HDC is a CableCARD version of the SA8300HD. If deployed, they are deployed with M-Card CableCARDs.

Since your cable company wanted to charge you more for the bare CableCARDs for your S3 than the SA8300HD PVR, I was thinking if they were deploying SA8300HDCs, you could order one of those, pull the M-Card out the back, stick it in a brand new TiVo HD, and call them up to do the pairing again.

A TiVo HD is supposed to work out of the box with M-Card in M-Stream mode so you should only need one M-Card, which is just what the SA8300HDC provides.

This is just pointing out how silly it is for your cable company to charge more for the bare CableCARD than they would for CableCARD embedded in one of their own PVRs.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #2973
LoREvanescence

Id just thought I would post this. I was looking around on Comcast site for future HD channel rollouts and came accross this FAQ:

Quote:
Does Comcast support the TiVo Series 3 HD set-top box?

Yes. With TiVo Series 3 you can record in HD as well as watch live or pre-recorded programs in HD; however, if you do not have an HD-ready television, the picture will be in standard definition.

Customers interested in using CableCARDs may order them from Comcast. With a CableCARD you will be able to access the digital cable channels you currently subscribe to, including your premium and HD channels. You will also be able to record up to two (2) scrambled digital cable channels at once, depending upon the number of CableCARDs that you order.
I wasn't expenting comcast to mention the tivo series 3 in their main service FAQ page let alone mention cablecars for full support.

The latest comcast adds in this area are "It's not HD TV withouth a Comcast Reicver" it goes on about how your cable is only analog without a comcast reciver and a comcast reciver is the only way to get HD TV.

Edit:

Actualy, there are many Tivo HD FAQ entries: http://sitesearch.comcast.com/exec/?...Comcast%2BHome

They answer many Tivo/Cable Card questions. However, they make it clear in one that tuck roll out for instalation is required, you can not pick up and install cable cards in your tivo your self. Which is not surpizing, but I was wondering if any one has been able to get one with out having to have someone install.

In my situation here on my university campus, I will have a hard time getting a cable card, the schools contract does not allow students to rent equipment or purchase services. That would problay mean no cablecards for me=\

I was hopping there was a way I could just pick them up form comcast and figure out a work around to this.

Last edited by LoREvanescence : 07-27-2007 at 12:30 PM.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:55 PM   #2974
DVDerek
<WittySaying />

Wow - I was all set to go ahead and take the HD TV/HD TiVo plunge until I read this thread. Forget it. I'll keep my analogue cable an SD TV.

When i started reading this thread I was looking at the post dates and thinking, "Surely things have gotten better by now" only to see that people are still having issues getting Cablecards properly setup in their TiVo's.

Looks like SD for me...
DVDerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #2975
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDerek
Wow - I was all set to go ahead and take the HD TV/HD TiVo plunge until I read this thread. Forget it. I'll keep my analogue cable an SD TV.

When i started reading this thread I was looking at the post dates and thinking, "Surely things have gotten better by now" only to see that people are still having issues getting Cablecards properly setup in their TiVo's.

Looks like SD for me...
You're making a mistake. HD is SO much better that it's worth the hassle (which not everybody has). It's THAT good.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #2976
DVDerek
<WittySaying />

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE
You're making a mistake. HD is SO much better that it's worth the hassle (which not everybody has). It's THAT good.
There are almost 3000 posts in this thread, and most of them report some sort of difficulty in getting the cable cards set up properly. I had my tounge firmly implanted in my cheek when I said I was staying analog, but I'll certainly wait a month or two to let the installers in the area become a little more familiar with Cable Cards and the new TiVo.
DVDerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #2977
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
There are almost 3000 posts in this thread, and most of them report some sort of difficulty in getting the cable cards set up properly.
Most people post problems, not success stories. My installation was done in 10 minutes, and this was 8 months ago.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #2978
aindik

Quote:
There are almost 3000 posts in this thread, and most of them report some sort of difficulty in getting the cable cards set up properly. I had my tounge firmly implanted in my cheek when I said I was staying analog, but I'll certainly wait a month or two to let the installers in the area become a little more familiar with Cable Cards and the new TiVo.
From the perspective of the cable company, I'm not sure this new TiVo is any different from the Series 3.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #2979
TokyoShoe
Frustrated TiVoHD'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
Most people post problems, not success stories. My installation was done in 10 minutes, and this was 8 months ago.
Mine was setup over the phone in 30 minutes, done by myself. Super simple, just had to read off some numbers to the guy on the other end. The ComCast tech I got at the number I called.. was actually quite knowledgeable regarding CableCards AND the new TiVo Series 3's.
TokyoShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #2980
landrvr1

Just got the TivoHD and the Comcast guy is coming out tomorrow.

They won't let you pick up the cards here in Elgin, Illinois. Scam!

What's shocking is the cost for installation:

I'm getting two cards and it's $33.88 per card! Ouch!
landrvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #2981
oldnacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
Do you know if your cable company has been deploying SA8300HDCs since the July 1st deadline? The SA8300HDC is a CableCARD version of the SA8300HD. If deployed, they are deployed with M-Card CableCARDs.

Since your cable company wanted to charge you more for the bare CableCARDs for your S3 than the SA8300HD PVR, I was thinking if they were deploying SA8300HDCs, you could order one of those, pull the M-Card out the back, stick it in a brand new TiVo HD, and call them up to do the pairing again.

A TiVo HD is supposed to work out of the box with M-Card in M-Stream mode so you should only need one M-Card, which is just what the SA8300HDC provides.

This is just pointing out how silly it is for your cable company to charge more for the bare CableCARD than they would for CableCARD embedded in one of their own PVRs.
Yes, silly but very self serving, as the return on what's probably a <$100 investment net in the rental cable box brings a fantastic return over the life of the unit with (in the case of the SAs, anyway) minimal maintenance. Anyway, they gave me the old SA8300HD when I picked it up at the local office on 7/14. Of course, by increasing the monthly charge for two cable cards from $5.50 to $17.90, they made up for lost revenue on the STB rental.... So they win both ways.
oldnacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:01 PM   #2982
ALK3011

I got my HD Tivo yesterday. I called Comcast (in CHICAGO) to get my cable cards. they are coming tomorrow. They told me that they would cost $26.99 each and i would own them. I told the person on the phone that I had read on their own web site that the first card was free. She put me on hold for 15 minutes. When she returned, I was getting card one for free and card two for $1.51 a month. Not too bad. I am glad I did the research on the Comcast site. Let's just hope now that the installer knows what he is doing.
ALK3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #2983
kiomon

Picked up my cards in Chicago!!

hey I just picked up my cable cards from the comcast on north ave in chicago. They gave me two and it cost me NOTHING! They didnt give me any instructions, but I will figure it out. I had made an appointment but they said it would be next week and that I couldnt put the cards in myself. I was bummed, but decided to stop by anyway. Woohoo i get to play tonight. They gave me the multistream cards, so I actually have an extra. We'll see if I like this TivoHD, I may pick up another if it works great.

Just wanted to share, because from what I was able to search it didnt look like most people were able to pick them up.
kiomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:55 PM   #2984
gyeah99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiomon
hey I just picked up my cable cards from the comcast on north ave in chicago. They gave me two and it cost me NOTHING! They didnt give me any instructions, but I will figure it out. I had made an appointment but they said it would be next week and that I couldnt put the cards in myself. I was bummed, but decided to stop by anyway. Woohoo i get to play tonight. They gave me the multistream cards, so I actually have an extra. We'll see if I like this TivoHD, I may pick up another if it works great.

Just wanted to share, because from what I was able to search it didnt look like most people were able to pick them up.

Hey let us how it works out. I'm in the NW chicago burbs..went to schaumburg comcast today and the lady said no can do for getting my cable cards (even though the lady on the 800 number said to just go there and pick them up !)..grrhh..i have an appointmen for next week, but seems a bit of a waste when i can just slide them in and call some # to activate. I may just head down to north avenue tomorrow...
gyeah99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #2985
boyettdw
Frequent Browser

I just picket up a TiVo HD from Circuit City yesterday. I was able to pick up 2 CableCards from my local Comcast office. However, I have spent several hours on the phone with their tech support this evening trying somewhat unsuccessfully to get them working correctly.

The cards obviously weren't initialized properly the first time. It took several calls, but I was finally connected with someone higher than the low level tech support. He was able to send an init hit to my cards and I am now able to see all the HD content and most digital channels, before I could only see the unencrypted channels.

My problem now is that I am only receiving about 15% of my analog channels and about 90% of my digital ones. There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to what channels I can tune and what I can't. When I check the CA screen for the channels I am not receiving, it is NOT reading "Subscribed" like it should. This one had my level 2 tech stumped. He didn't know what else he could do other than to roll a truck, which can't be here for 5 days or so.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
boyettdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:25 PM   #2986
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
Do you know the Motorola version? This may be the only way to get an Mcard without a huge hassle.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:06 AM   #2987
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
There are almost 3000 posts in this thread, and most of them report some sort of difficulty in getting the cable cards set up properly.
As others have mentioned, some folks don't post their successes.

I've had two S3s. The first was a complete travesty; the second worked. There is no question in my mind that the technology isn't very robust. However, given the odds (and my 50/50 is no indicator of the reality, which is closer to 90/10 or 95/5 or even better), it is worth the risk, if you've got the money to spend and aren't worried about the limitations.

Quote:
I had my tounge firmly implanted in my cheek when I said I was staying analog
Indeed. I'm sure your cable company offers its own HD DVR, for which you're almost surely not going to have a problem (either because it is a grandfathered STB with integrated security, or because it is a CableCard STB which with CableCards installed at the factory). While not as whiz-bang neato as the S3, they're still better than SD!

Quote:
but I'll certainly wait a month or two to let the installers in the area become a little more familiar with Cable Cards and the new TiVo.
I'm not sure a month or two will result in a quantum shift. Give it a year, maybe, and every installer will have more experience than they have now.

Also keep this in mind: With my first S3, I had three installers over the course of two weeks, all three had some CableCard installation experience, and the second and third BOTH were the CableCard experts in our area. They couldn't get it to work. With my second S3, the year after, the installer had NO CableCard experience. That install went off with no problems. Experience didn't seem to make any difference.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:52 AM   #2988
drcos
HD where available

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyettdw
...only receiving about 15% of my analog channels and about 90% of my digital ones...
- If you have a SA headend, see my post here where I enlighten you, the little people about my travails with the CP info screen.
- If the channels you are receiving are showing a CCI byte 0x02 and the ones you don't get are 0x00 or 0x01, your cards are not properly programmed from the headend. Here in SWFL there is a 'digital preferred' tier which is separately 'segragated' in the billing/subscription system, and if your cards are not programmed correctly, you will receive most of your premium channels and few of your 'expanded digital' channels (i.e. HBO, Cinemax, yes, Encore plex, no).
This problem has been related to billing in my experience, as the system is needlessly complicated on their end as well, so often when you P&M to them, you are preaching to the choir.
- TO SUM UP...this sounds like a billing/account problem where they have (probably unintentionally) missed or mis-programmed some digit or code in your account, and I suspect your cards are not bad, they're just programmed that way
- Hopefully you will get to someone who knows what to do to fix the problem.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #2989
Dan Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik
I asked the same question above, and also e-mailed Comcast. Unfortunately, the "additional outlet fee" is a program mirroring fee (a la the DirecTV mirroring fee that cable companies used to advertise as the satellite companies screwing the customer), not a box rental fee. So, if you have an outlet in excess of one, you'll pay the fee, whether the outlet is rented to you by Comcast or not.

That stinks, but it's what Comcast has told me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
Basically every receiver that requires authorization for decryption by the cable company is an outlet, be it a Comcast receiver, or a Comcast DVR or a TiVo Series 3 or any other device with a CableCARD.

Each digital package includes one outlet already.

As a TiVo Series 3 receiver might need two CableCARDs, Comcast only charges $1.50 for the second CableCARD. The first CableCARD for that outlet is free.

Since you have 4 receivers requiring authorized decryption devices, you'll pay for 3 additional outlets over and above your included first outlet. And you'll pay 2 x $1.50 for the second CableCARD in each TiVo Series 3. And you will pay any rental fee(s) for the Comcast receivers/DVRs (or will have them explicitly waived if they're part of some deal you got).
Thank you both for clarifying.

It sure is amazing all the different stories and answers we hear from Comcast reps. CSR's, seems in any service business, are ill trained in thier product offerings and procedures.
Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #2990
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy
Thank you both for clarifying.

It sure is amazing all the different stories and answers we hear from Comcast reps. CSR's, seems in any service business, are ill trained in thier product offerings and procedures.
You can glean a lot of it from the footnotes accompanying the price list for your market, as well as from how the charges in the price list are grouped under categories. It eventually even can make sense when you look at how a typical statement is broken down, especially when they do weird things like show credits for things you don't use to back them out of "package pricing" so they can then charge for what is applicable. I know a great deal of it is due to how the franchise agreements require they bill various items, but you'd think there just has to be a simpler way to implement it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #2991
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Do you know the Motorola version? This may be the only way to get an Mcard without a huge hassle.
Motorola DCH series
http://broadband.motorola.com/busine...st_settops.asp
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #2992
DocNo

Arrow

Success!

After getting stiffed for my appointment yesterday (grrrr ) I got a tech today who actually knew what he was doing!

in a positive first step, he actually checked the signal strength - and there were some issues with splitters... got those resolved and we replaced the one cable card that wasn't working. Called in, and verified all the numbers - lo and behold, the host ID was off by one number - no wonder the first cable card never worked successfully. Entered in all the right numbers and what do you know - they worked!

So, once I got a tech that knew what he was doing, and was able to correctly read numbers to the guys on the other end of the line, it works!

HD is simply stunning - well worth the three weeks of hassle. It's too bad companies like Comcast don't train their people better so it ends up having to be this difficult.
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:12 PM   #2993
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Anyone from Fort Lauderdale reading this thread?

Do I require I visit, or can I pick up the cards and do it myself these days?
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #2994
drcos
HD where available

The SWFL CableCard billing saga continues...
Spoke with a helpful rep this evening at the behest of the supervisor who had been emailed by the rep at the local office. We had settled on what the bill should be, and he spent some time trying to make it so. Finally it was determined that there is a bogus 'additional digital equipment' charge (of $7.95 ea) that has to be on the account, tied to the two additional cards or they will not work. He also said that it was a system thing, that they could not do anything about at their level, it would have to be done by IT and district.
He says they will be working on correcting the system to eliminate the need for the charge, and once it is fixed, they will correct retro-actively the bills of those affected. He also did give me his name and extension and said he would call and keep me informed as the situation is resolved. After all the stories I had been hearing over the last couple months, this sounds less like bs than the other "explanations" I have been given.

So I'm thinking I'll give it a couple weeks before contacting corporate. What do we think about that?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:04 AM   #2995
Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik
I asked the same question above, and also e-mailed Comcast. Unfortunately, the "additional outlet fee" is a program mirroring fee (a la the DirecTV mirroring fee that cable companies used to advertise as the satellite companies screwing the customer), not a box rental fee. So, if you have an outlet in excess of one, you'll pay the fee, whether the outlet is rented to you by Comcast or not.

That stinks, but it's what Comcast has told me.
I had Comcast until a few months ago.

The primary reason I switched to Verizon was what they charge significantly less.

I've got the same number of cable cards and boxes, and the FIOS internet... But I'm paying about $40.00 per month less.

In addition, while the billing department at Verizon is just as goofy as Comcast, the installation and setup of the equipment went very smoothly by comparison.

I'm not saying they sent a rocket scientist to install things, but at least the central office techs were firmly aware of CC's and proper setup.

[Comcast's corporate policy is to not advertise Cable Cables, or to train their personel, in hopes they'll go away. Many management figures are out right hostle toward cable cards...]

Every seen the movie office space? These Tivos are in the Xerox II graveyard:

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:43 PM   #2996
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard
Comcast's corporate policy is to not ... to train their personel, in hopes they'll go away.
I think that's just something you decided to say just out of anger. It's hyperbole, at best, but even calling it that is generous.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:51 PM   #2997
boyettdw
Frequent Browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos
- If you have a SA headend, see my post here where I enlighten you, the little people about my travails with the CP info screen.
- If the channels you are receiving are showing a CCI byte 0x02 and the ones you don't get are 0x00 or 0x01, your cards are not properly programmed from the headend. Here in SWFL there is a 'digital preferred' tier which is separately 'segragated' in the billing/subscription system, and if your cards are not programmed correctly, you will receive most of your premium channels and few of your 'expanded digital' channels (i.e. HBO, Cinemax, yes, Encore plex, no).
This problem has been related to billing in my experience, as the system is needlessly complicated on their end as well, so often when you P&M to them, you are preaching to the choir.
- TO SUM UP...this sounds like a billing/account problem where they have (probably unintentionally) missed or mis-programmed some digit or code in your account, and I suspect your cards are not bad, they're just programmed that way
- Hopefully you will get to someone who knows what to do to fix the problem.
Thanks for the info. I was assuming that it was a billing problem, but couldn't convince any of the CSRs of that. Hopefully my truck roll on Wednesday will get it solved, but I am not very optimistic.
boyettdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:05 PM   #2998
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
I think that's just something you decided to say just out of anger. It's hyperbole, at best, but even calling it that is generous.
I dunno. In my "experience" with Comcast over the last month, it's pretty obvious they are not thrilled with Cable Card, don't want to support it, and are making a minimal effort (if even) to train their staff in how to configure the billing codes, provision it at the head end, and provide their installers with training so they know how to do basic troubleshooting. It took four trips by four different techs before I even got one that started the whole process by examining the signal strength of my cable Digital cable uses higher frequencies that are more susceptible to noise and distance than analog, and wouldn't you know it - some of my problems were related to signal strength.

So I have no problem with Gerhard's statement - it matches my experience -- and the often candid discussions I had with the final, competent tech, that was just as frustrated as I was with how needlessly difficult that the cable companies are making cable card. To me, it wasn't hyperbole in the least.
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:12 PM   #2999
fishboy

Returning to Tivo! Yeah!

Okay, so I just placed my order for 2 Tivo HD 32hour units from Weaknees. Yea, I know, the upgrades were a bit expensive, but I figured since I was getting 2 units for the price of a single S3 unit, I could add in the extra. And plus, I wouldn't have to worry too much about screwing something up on my brand new Tivos.

I also just called Comcast to schedule the install. Earlier today when I was on the fence about whether to order the Tivo units, the agent told me that I was required to have the installers come to my house to "install" the four cable cards. The guy I just spoke with at 404-Comcast (I'm in the Atlanta area, Canton actually) told me that I could just stop by my local cable office and pick them up. I told him that since I'd gotten conflicting information that I'd rather go ahead and schedule the appointment and then if I go by the office and they give them to me, I'll call and cancel my appointment. So, I guess we'll see.

Also, the first lady told me there was an "upgrade fee" of $18.25 to "upgrade" to the CableCards. This was a single, one-time fee that included the cards installed and the installer coming to my house. The guy told me that if I picked up the cards from the office that I could avoid the "installation fee" of $18.25. So, I guess we'll see about that too.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know how it goes with my install and setup. I am giddy and can't wait. The 2 crappy SA8300HD DVRs I have now are nearly out of my hair and I can't wait to see them leaving my house!
fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:43 PM   #3000
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo
I dunno. In my "experience" with Comcast over the last month, it's pretty obvious they are not thrilled with Cable Card, don't want to support it, and are making a minimal effort (if even) to train their staff in how to configure the billing codes, provision it at the head end, and provide their installers with training so they know how to do basic troubleshooting. It took four trips by four different techs before I even got one that started the whole process by examining the signal strength of my cable Digital cable uses higher frequencies that are more susceptible to noise and distance than analog, and wouldn't you know it - some of my problems were related to signal strength.

So I have no problem with Gerhard's statement - it matches my experience -- and the often candid discussions I had with the final, competent tech, that was just as frustrated as I was with how needlessly difficult that the cable companies are making cable card. To me, it wasn't hyperbole in the least.
It's going to be interesting since as of July all new equipment the cable companies purchase must use the same CableCARDs that all third-party manufacturers need to use, so cable companies will only be facing more CableCARDs in the future, and sooner or later will need to streamline the whole authorization process.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote