TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
randomsolutions

Can HD Tivo output to standard TV?

I just recently purchased the S2DT Tivo for my Non-TV. I'm thinking of returning it and buying a HD Tivo.

I was wondering if the HD Tivo would be able to output the analog cable signals I recieve to my non-HD TV? Also if I get OTA HD will I be able to output it to my non-HD TV through the composite connections?

I plan on upgrading to an HDTV in the future, but don't want to spend the money on one right now. Please help!!

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find it in any of the FAQs/Reviews.

THANKS!
randomsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
avmike

It should. I currently have my second S3 in the bedroom hooked up to an SD TV. You even get the benefit of watching HD-only channels, of course down-converted to 480i.

Mike
avmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
dvr4me

Added question and answer to the TiVo HD FAQ. Thanks!
dvr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
randomsolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmike
It should. I currently have my second S3 in the bedroom hooked up to an SD TV. You even get the benefit of watching HD-only channels, of course down-converted to 480i.

Mike
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I don't have Component inputs on my TV. Will the HD signal be down-converted to my composite outpus?
randomsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:04 AM   #5
ping

Along these lines, can you actually record a HD signal in SD (i.e. downconvert while the recording is happening)? It looks like the hardware is capable. I'm really asking if the software supports it.
ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
hutchca

Nope.
On digital channels the TiVo just writes the digits to the disk as they come in.
There's no recording quality setting for digital channels nor is there a way to change the recorded resolution.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #7
WeKnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomsolutions
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I don't have Component inputs on my TV. Will the HD signal be down-converted to my composite outpus?
The added benefit is that the HD signal (either OTA or from the cable company) looks better that anything else that your regular TV will display. We have had our Series3 hooked up to one of our SD TVs and even my wife noticed how much better the HD content looks via S-Video compared to any of the other stuff we have (cable or DirecTV on the SD TV.)

2 - Series3 106 HR w/ lifetime
DRT-400 487 HR w/ lifetime
2 - HR10-250
SD-DVR80
SAT-T60 212HR
DSR6000R 146HR
2 - HDVR2 both 105HR
WeKnSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

This is mentioned only by it's omission in the specs, but of note is that Series3 and the HD do not have an RF-out, not a deal breaker in this case, but important to keep in mind for folks asking about non-HD sets.

I've seen several threads such as this, and while I don't think it's a huge deal for most, there is the possibility someone might bump in on this thread in "non-HD" research
dianebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat
This is mentioned only by it's omission in the specs, but of note is that Series3 and the HD do not have an RF-out, not a deal breaker in this case, but important to keep in mind for folks asking about non-HD sets.
No RF out - but it takes a pretty old set to only have RF in and no composite video input.

I do have such a set in my bedroom - and the DVD units also lack RF-out (it is just pass-through), so I picked up a cheap RF modulator at RadioShack and connected my RS-TX20 to that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:21 AM   #10
ajwees41

Quote:

I've seen several threads such as this, and while I don't think it's a huge deal for most, there is the possibility someone might bump in on this thread in "non-HD" research

I think that not having rfout on the tivohd is stupid. Most cable boxes have it and why should people need to run it through a vcr with rca inputs it just uses more electricity than have an rf out on the tivohd.

ajwees41
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:37 AM   #11
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41
I think that not having rfout on the tivohd is stupid. Most cable boxes have it and why should people need to run it through a vcr with rca inputs it just uses more electricity than have an rf out on the tivohd.

ajwees41
It's not stupid at all - why add the cost of an RF output that almost no one needs or should use?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:00 AM   #12
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
It's not stupid at all - why add the cost of an RF output that almost no one needs or should use?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #13
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3

How much is the rf out for a tivo?

If it had an rf out I think more people who don't have HD tv's would get and ditch thier cable company dvr, but without the rf out people who only have a tv with rf in will need to purchase a new tv.

ajwees41

Last edited by ajwees41 : 07-27-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #14
vstone

Quote:
Not much, but lot of CE discussions talk about how much would it cost to add x? or y? The designers must decide, among other things, what is worth keeping? If you have enough to buy a Tivo HD with service, and probably with cable, then you probably have a TV or monitor that has some variation of input other than coax.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #15
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:

If it had an rf out I think more people who don't have HD tv's would get and ditch thier cable company dvr, but without the rf out people who only have a tv with rf in will need to purchase a new tv.
I just can't see the RF only input folks wanting a DVR if you ask my opinion.
Add in the fact that if you have an RF output, you have to deal with controlling those RF emissions (if you're a good designer)

I think removing RF out is a great move, and I've never been one to think that it, or a pass-through are required when you can put a single splitter ahead of the Tivo
Old 07-27-2007, 09:34 AM   #16
ajwees41

Quote:
I just can't see the RF only input folks wanting a DVR if you ask my opinion.
Add in the fact that if you have an RF output, you have to deal with controlling those RF emissions (if you're a good designer)

I think removing RF out is a great move, and I've never been one to think that it, or a pass-through are required when you can put a single splitter ahead of the Tivo

I am one my 27 inch ge tv only came with rf in.

Like I said before most cable dvr's and regular digital boxes have rf out.

how would the splitter work?

ajwees41
Old 07-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #17
atmuscarella

ajwees41,

Actually what you need is an RF Modulator - I also have a 27" TV with only RF In needed one of these when I got a DVD player here is a link to one at radio shack to see what I mean:

RadioShack RF Modulator

Cheaper Version

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #18
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
people who only have a tv with rf in ...need to purchase a new tv.
FYP
Martin Tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:19 AM   #19
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella
ajwees41,

Actually what you need is an RF Modulator - I also have a 27" TV with only RF In needed one of these when I got a DVD player here is a link to one at radio shack to see what I mean:

RadioShack RF Modulator

Cheaper Version

Good Luck,
But why did tivo not include it when the cable and satelite companies include it on there boxes?

ajwees41
Old 07-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #20
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
But why did tivo not include it when the cable and satelite companies include it on there boxes?

ajwees41
Sorry if this comes off as rude, but the market Tivo is going after with an HD capable unit is NOT someone with a television with RF only input. That is why they still have the S2DT units for sale.

Premiere XL4
Series 3 w/2TB
Series 3 w/750GB

"TiVo me, will ya?"
''Never lost. Never will.''
--- Denny Crane
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:34 AM   #21
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_N
Sorry if this comes off as rude, but the market Tivo is going after with an HD capable unit is NOT someone with a television with RF only input. That is why they still have the S2DT units for sale.

No it doesn't I am just saying that if tivo had a tivohd that supported rf out they could really give the cable dvr makers a run for there money.

ajwees41
Old 07-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #22
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
No it doesn't I am just saying that if tivo had a tivohd that supported rf out they could really give the cable dvr makers a run for there money.

ajwees41
So exactly how many consumers do you think are out there willing to pay a premium for a TiVoHD, but aren't willing to upgrade their 20 year old TV?
Martin Tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #23
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Tupper
So exactly how many consumers do you think are out there willing to pay a premium for a TiVoHD, but aren't willing to upgrade their 20 year old TV?
I'm gonna go with 6.

Premiere XL4
Series 3 w/2TB
Series 3 w/750GB

"TiVo me, will ya?"
''Never lost. Never will.''
--- Denny Crane
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #24
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:

ajwees41
The lack or inclusion of an RF out will make zero difference as to how well this unit does. And will have no factor in someone debating between their cable DVR and a TiVo unit.

I keep my TVs a long time; I still have one I bought in 1986 (I remember because my wife was preggie with our now 21 yr old son) that has RCA inputs. 99.99% of the TVs that will be used with a TiVoHD will have something other than RF only.

ajwees41--I think you are fighting a losing battle with this argument.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #25
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_N
I'm gonna go with 6.

I'm gonna go with 1. Name starts with a, and ends with 41.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #26
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

agreed, I just don't see Tivo's HD DVR market even considering the "folks that have only an RF input" as one of their marketing targets.

They want "folks that spend gawd awful amounts of money buying this years model" as their customer base.

When you add in the PITA of having to even consider RF out as a signal path and connectors, the amount of savings is significant enough to make it worth while. Their goal is HDMI connected units.

RF-out on a current product is like a full-size spare in a car, you'd like it, but you just don't get it anymore :-)
Old 07-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #27
mikesown

An rf modulator is like $15. Besides, anyone with a set that only has an RF input isn't likely to spend $300, let alone $16 a month for a DVR.
mikesown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:46 AM   #28
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesown
An rf modulator is like $15. Besides, anyone with a set that only has an RF input isn't likely to spend $300, let alone $16 a month for a DVR.
And you know this because you've surveyed how many people? Or are you assuming?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:52 AM   #29
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
I am one my 27 inch ge tv only came with rf in.

Like I said before most cable dvr's and regular digital boxes have rf out. . . .

ajwees41
Good luck! Do you have any RCA cables attached? I feel for you! All 3 of my 5 year old Samsungs have only one RF input and a y/w rca input.

When my HDTV dropped dead as I was working on installing TiVo on my analog, I was faced with a big ticket expense.

Funny thing, Circuit City wouldn't let me put the new HDTV in my car and told me I had to have an SUV <vbg> (I merely have a Passat) But they didn't sell SUVs. <weg>

For want of a modulator . . .

The universe is smiling though, and I know you'll find a solution. DLTBGYD!